Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Got my hands on an iPad mini 4 64GB to travel with, since my only other small tablet was a HP Stream 7 and Windows 10 on an Atom device with a poo poo 1280x800 display is about as good as it sounds.

I missed having an iPad. My first iPad was the original Mini, which wasn't bad, but I missed Retina display at the time, so I did a trade to an iPad 3 which was pretty good for a while. Gave it to my parents after a few months and didn't really need a tablet, but the Mini 4 is really great. It's nice to actually have a tablet OS that isn't complete garbage for once.

I do have a Lenovo Yoga for a laptop so I didn't really feel the itch for the bigger iPad. Also, I read a lot of books via the Nook app so the smaller size and incredibly light weight are pretty drat good.

How's Apple's aluminum these days? I've got a sleeve for it and the Smart Cover, but didn't want to shell out the $60 for the official case. Now I'm not sure if I should go back and get it since there seem to be no options that have a cutout for the smart cover aside from the official option, but I don't like how their silicone feels. If I don't really have to worry about scratches on the aluminum too much I won't really worry about it. I certainly love how the thing feels in the hand, not as slippery as my iPhone was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Re: Case chat: The only reason I have a full case on my Mini 4 is because a smart case style case can be had on Amazon for $8 versus the $40 for the Smart Cover. And when I'm on the couch which is 80% of its usage it's not even in the case.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

flosofl posted:

I can understand needing the hardware if you want to test against any weird hardware quirks, but honestly for just UI placements/sizing that can be done in X-code. Hell you can even set up the Xcode simulator to show you how it will look scaling-wise.

Yeah I was going to say I'm not sure the cost of device entry is really a factor when Xcode comes with a simulator.

Probably more of a "we don't really care to spend the few hours making changes and testing the app" deal.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I Am Crake posted:

My main gripe is that they've kept the better display and design out of the regular iPad. This isn't a Pro feature like the stylus or the smart connectors. The premium design and best display on the market has been a staple of the iPad line since forever, and the only reason they didn't include them in the regular iPad is because they needed them as USPs for the Pro. It's dickish.

It's not like their normal displays are completely awful in comparison.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I Am Crake posted:

On par except for the, you guessed it, laminated display. I agree 120Hz refresh rate and TrueTone isn't something that consumers need, but it's the lack of a laminated display and the case design (smaller bezels) that I find are insulting to limit to the Pro lineup.

The non-Pro displays are still excellent.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_Pro9_ShootOut_1.htm

There is absolutely no reason to feel "insulted" because Apple omitted niche display features from the screens on the non-Pro iPads.

Sure the Pros are still better but that's like being angry you got an A when you could have gotten an A+.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Assuming I can get €175 trade in for my Air2 from Apple, should I get the new iPad for about €200? 🤔

If you use it, sure. Seems like a good upgrade.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The only thing I hated about my iPad mini 4 is that I sold it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Boris Galerkin posted:

Even though cloud storage is a thing, you still need enough local storage for the apps, your art assets, the “other” cache, and updating iOS. 128 GB really should be the minimum IMO.

I was actually looking at buying one of the new Airs and hemmed and hawed for this reason. 64GB doesn't seem like enough as I use about 60GB on my phone right now, and surely I would install more games and stuff on a tablet.

I ended up springing for the 256GB Air, but part of me wonders if I shouldn't have just stretched the budget out just a bit more to get the 128GB Pro 11"... guess I'll find out if I care when it shows up today. Also, it's completely dumb, but I wanted the blue pad to match my blue phone. :colbert:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Got my Air. First things to note; Jesus Christ, installing a screen protector on this thing without any dirt or dust is impossible (yes, I know all the tricks like doing it after a hot shower in a steamy bathroom).

Second thing to note: :dance:

It's nice. Very nice. Will have to figure out the screen protector thing eventually, I can already tell I don't like the feel of the Pencil on bare glass all that much.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I bought a multi-pack and thankfully the second went on there much easier than the first. I also did it downstairs at my workstation and not upstairs at the dining room table, so maybe the different environment helped. If there's a spec or hair under here I certainly can't see it.

It's good too because the Pencil was screeching/squeaking on the bare glass sometimes and it was, uh, quite an unpleasant and shrill noise, honestly.

Kinda bummed my Magic Keyboard didn't come in the same shipment but it comes tomorrow so oh well, first world problems.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 4, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I’m too cheap to even get a name brand one. I got a 2 pack of the “Paperfeel” screen protectors on Amazon. Though I think there might only be one or two companies actually producing the protectors because while mine was branded “KCT” all of the paperwork clearly said “Bersem” which is another brand entirely.

But it was only like $10 and I like it so far, other than my constant inability to install screen protectors correctly.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I mean there is a slight trade off of sorts because they are matte and textured, but it’s nothing that bothers me. Maybe the most annoying thing is a slight rainbow effect that’s only visible when the screen is all white, and only if you’ve really jammed the iPad into your face.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does the new Microsoft Office app mean I can delete Word, Excel, and PowerPoint?

Yes, I believe that is the case. It should cover those three apps and a little extra from what I can gather.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/02/microsoft-releases-new-all-in-one-office-app-for-ipads/

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The Apple accessories are all super nice but it feels hard for me to justify the expense, really. I like the Magic Keyboard, but I don't know if I use it enough to justify the $200 I spent on it. The Apple Pencil feels really great to use, but really the same problem. I don't take notes often and when I do they're mostly typed. Honestly I mostly use the Pencil for more accurate controls of games like Company of Heroes or XCOM.

I would eventually like to get good with iPad art, but man, that's a hurdle even for someone who has done traditional drawing in their past.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Martytoof posted:

The only complaint I have about the magic keyboard is that it looks like I need to completely remove it if I just want to use the iPad as a pure tablet. With the keyboard folio I just flip the keyboard back and it's as if it's not there.

Minor nitpick but I think that's ultimately what kept me from taking it seriously.

Unless I'm fundamentally missing a way to use it flipped back.

I just swap between a $10 magnetic folio cover and the keyboard with my iPad. Doesn't solve the keyboard problem really, but it's nice to have both. Honestly I basically just leave the Magic keyboard at my workstation at home, and just plop the iPad onto that. Better that way anyway since I want to start using it for taking meeting notes for work.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah, I don't know how it works not having an iPhone with a phone number bound to your iMessages. That definitely sounds like it's a recipe for eventual disaster.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I notice the backlight bleed only when reading at night with the backlight cranked up super high, which is probably a bad idea anyway. It's basically a non-issue. I would take a picture of mine, but phone cameras love to mess with the exposure to blow things like that way out of proportion.

I think it would be totally fine for reading comics. I only notice it in the Books app because I read with a black background and light text anyway.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

AlternateAccount posted:

Wait, can I somehow pair my OG Apple Pencil with the newer iPads that don't have a lightning port??

No, I am pretty sure you can't use OG Apple Pencil on a newer iPad with a Pencil 2 or vice versa.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

AlternateAccount posted:

USB-C iPad -> USB-C to Lightning cable -> That weird adapter that came with the Pencil 1 -> Pencil

iOS would probably just be like "what are you, poor? buy a pencil 2" if you did make that happen.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
There's probably differences in how the power ramps up for both operating systems as well. I imagine it errs on the side of lower power usage on iPad OS for sake of battery life.

I have no facts to back that up, so it's probably not a thing, but still.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Last Chance posted:

Hoping that you can plug your m1 iPad into a display and you get something like macos, that’s be sweet

I would give Tim Apple thousands of dollars for this product. Let me gently caress around and play stupid games on the tablet on the couch, but give me the capability of actually doing some work on the thing too!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Lordshmee posted:

Good tips, thanks! I am slowly getting used to the slow swipe up to get the cards. The horizontal swipe on the bar is very useful. I may stop using task switch for the most part because of that.

The swipes are all muscle memory. I had the same thoughts when I picked up my Air 4 for the first time, but using it now is just like second nature.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kitten smoothie posted:

Bought a 1TB 11” Pro yesterday to replace my 7th gen. The jump from the old model is crazy. Not jazzed about having to re-buy my Pencil but that’s the price of progress I guess.

Is the $300 keyboard really worth the $300? I had the folio keyboard on my old iPad and found the stand hinge kind of annoyingly fussy, so I’m curious if the nicer one is in fact nicer.

It's nice, but I think the 11" size can be had on sale somewhat often for $200 instead. If you don't think you need the keyboard right this second, I'd wait for a sale to show up.

Maybe that won't happen as often with the "new" keyboards, but saving $100 is always nice if you can.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

dexter6 posted:

Thanks for the update! Do you have a vlog I can follow for real-time updates on this saga?

They've made like four posts about the trade-in saga, if you're worried about them making GBS threads up the thread you're already 1/4 of the way there yourself. :)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

edit: trade-in for my just under 2 year old iPad Pro went great- I got $540 for it towards the new Pro.

Not that I have any desire to get rid of it, I wonder what I'd get for trading in my Air 4. The Air 4 is great, but having an 11" M1 Pro would also be great...

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xzzy posted:

Well if you go through the configuration page on apple.com you can run the serial through their estimator! Guarantee it will trigger impulse spending though.

You know, I did just try and it didn't recognize the serial number. It then asked me to pick the model and I could only trade in up to an Air 3, so I guess their website doesn't support Air 4 trade-ins yet. At least not for iPads.

Impulse spending averted for now. (Or I'll just get an M1 MacBook instead :v:)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Duckman2008 posted:

Discord is a great example.

I swipe up, discord is a recent app (so I had to have used it recently), and I drag and toss the discord app the right (I’m righty, I think it works on the left side too). It floats above the app I’m actually using. I can swipe it to the right to close it, and swipe from the right to re bring it over. You can have multiple apps like this that you can also swipe through.

I’m sure it’s been said before in this thread, but man the discoverability around some of this stuff is kinda poor. This sounds awesome and I can’t wait to try it out.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I figured out today I can use a keyboard and mouse on Steam Link!

The compression artifacts combined with this 10.9” iPad screen doesn’t make for a fantastic gaming experience, especially because my PC is still rendering at 16:9…

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah I replaced an old iPad 2 screen way back when and that thing never looked the same since. Screen was never flush with the frame again. Don't think the thinner, newer iPads make that any better.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

MarcusSA posted:

:same:

I really really don’t use it like at all.

Me neither. I don’t even use the keyboard all that often.

Might think about selling both accessories honestly.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

tuyop posted:

Why does it say that the ipad mini has "all-screen design"? The image below that blurb clearly has bezels...

Marketing, mostly.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think it is pretty dumb they're still clinging onto Lightning on the iPhones, but also I just buy wireless chargers and cannot genuinely remember the last time I actually plugged in my phone.

So just make it a USB-C already, you cowards.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

FCKGW posted:

I don't think people are white knighting Apple products so much as pointing out that not having USB-C isn't a "deal breaker" for a lot of people.

Yeah, that's basically my take. I'd prefer USB-C if I had a choice but like I said, I don't ever plug in my phone so it's a moot point anyway.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah it kind of seems like they just wanted to check off the checkbox to get widgets on the home screen in iPad OS, but they didn't really give much care to the actual feature, which is kinda un-Apple-like.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

MrOnBicycle posted:

Did some more sleuthing and I found something called Polycam for my iPhone. Worked amazing for how drat simple it was to use. What took an hour taking pictures and importing to some photogrammety editor took a couple of minutes and produced better results...

Oh, this app is super cool. I'm gonna bookmark this, we're getting into LiDAR stuff at my work and being able to scan stuff this easily seems amazing for what we're doing.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of keyboards; is the Magic Keyboard the absolute best, or is it hyped? Any alternatives that are as good (or almost as good) as it? Damned expensive.

There are the Brydge keyboards and I think a new model is getting ready to come out this month?

The magic keyboard is pretty dang good though. I just wish it was more lappable.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I’ve used Steam Link to play No Mans Sky over AirPlay to my TV. Worked great even over WiFi

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't use my Air 4 as much as I probably should, but whenever I do I'm pretty happy with that shape and size. I also have a 13 Pro Max if that helps.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

anothergod posted:

Does anyone have a mouse they like to use to easily switch between devices? And/or how seemless is sidecar? I am pretty close to pushing myself completely into the Apple ecosystem....

I got a clearance Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed from Sam's Club for pretty cheap that has a 2.4GHz dongle and Bluetooth. I have it dialed in so BT goes to my iPad and the dongle stays in my laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have my complaints about the Magic keyboard but the trackpad works wonderfully.

I have another cheaper Amazon case that's keyboard-only, but allows me to use the iPad in a laptop or tablet configuration which is pretty nice.