Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Apple seems to set production designs at least 6 months out. It's more likely that, as Diabolik900 stated, Google figured Retina would be the big upgrade the Gen 2 Mini would receive and moved to beat Apple to release.

I'm more interested in this: can a Lightning connector support USB3.0? I'd really love, more than anything else, to see transfer speeds increase over USB 2.0 but I know they'd have to have a new USB3 adapter on one end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

El Hefe posted:

I tried this on an iPad 2 and on an iPad 4 both with iOS 7 and didn't experience any slowdown or anything, it switched background pretty fast.

I can confirm that changing wallpapers on the iPad 3 sucks and is slow to respond.

It's the only place I've noticed any real slowness. Weird.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Splitting the keyboard in Portrait for the full size iPad makes thumb typing a snap.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Don Tacorleone posted:

Keeping the iPad2 around at 399 is kind of offensive honestly

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

And if people don't buy them then I'm sure they'll remove it from the lineup. Please don't get insulted by products on shelves. :confused:

They still have the iPod Classic on the Apple Store so who knows really how long they'll keep the iPad 2 around for.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Don Tacorleone posted:

That reminds me, no iPod/Touch update at all, I wonder if they're officially retired regarding development

The iPod Touches only get refreshed every 2 years (eg they're on the Apple 'tick' cycle, not the 'tock' too).

They got it last year so they'll get updated to whatever new design the iPhone 6 takes.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I like the bigger screen real estate for video watching.

Then again, my primary use case of my iPad is for traveling but now I just don't know.

Edit: and that brings me around again to the thought of why name it the iPad Air if they weren't doing an iPad Pro? But I don't even know what an iPad Pro would bring to the table so who knows.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I also still own an iPad 3 and haven't really had any complaints with iOS7 beyond the wallpaper thing.

I actually just reminded myself that the 3 is only a year and a half old given that the 4 was released six months after the 3 came out. And the 4 added just a slightly better internals and a Lightning connector.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Paradoxish posted:

Here's a question: are you going to want to spend almost or over $1000 on an iPad? If they add a Pro model, it's going to end up priced above the Air, which is still at regular ol' iPad price levels. If you aren't going to want to spend that much money on an iPad, then you've really got nothing to worry about. It's also entirely possible that there's no Pro model coming at all, or that if there is it won't be until another refresh a year from now.

What if they bring down the price of the Mini and Air next year to make a little room for a Pro model? The biggest knock against the mini now is really the cost and if Apple is done selling out their supply of non-retina Minis next year, why not take $50 off the base price for the Mini and Air?

But then that would raise the question of just what the gently caress Apple would throw into an iPad Pro model that would necessitate a Pro moniker.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's the iPad Pro to go with the iPad Air.

Market it towards business types with a keyboard dock? So it'd be like a MacBook Air lite (but still more tablet than PC)?

It'd be hilarious if Apple beat Microsoft at the Surface's core market.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Snackpack Backpack posted:

How much better is the iPad Air over the non-air version? Beyond the processor, and the smaller form factor, are there any other major differences between them?

I'm trying to make a decision on my first tablet purchase. I know the mini is a favorite but I definitely want to go with the bigger screen for Netflix, etc.

Depends which non-air version. You've got the Retina mini, non-retina mini, and iPad 2 that are also sold in Apple Stores. Then there's the used market with iPad 3/4s.

If it's just between the Air and the Retina mini, aside from the smallest of spec differences, it's all about size and weight (but even here, size is the biggest difference. The weight difference is non-zero but much less an issue than size).

If you like a bigger screen, go full Air and don't look back. If you've got concerns about the Air being too big for lugging around all the time or you just like the form factor of the mini, go mini and don't look back.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Xabi posted:

Are there still video files that the ipad can't play? I've transferred some stuff from my mac, but some of it lacks sound etc. Is this just a question of getting another player app, or are there things that are impossible to play correctly?

The iPad is still pretty much locked into Apple's mp4 and m4v formats.

Some video apps out there may be able to handle more but there was a licensing issue (I think) that forced a lot of them to cripple themselves.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Likely new iPads to be announced October 16th among other things (iOS 8.1, new retina iMacs or MacBook Airs)...maybe.

And if you didn't see this pop up, some Vietnamese blog has pictures of supposed iPad Air 2 parts. The only thing to really comment on is the loss of the orientation/mute switch. Slightly thinner too (to 7mm) and a TouchID.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I assume he's referring to some of the leaked/buried code in the iOS8 betas that had split screen multitasking ala the Samsung Note/Tablets. There's video on youtube of the partial code being hacked together to work...kinda.

Will it happen eventually? Probably. But will it run on the iPad Air 2? 50/50.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Ignoring the retarded 2nd sentence, can't hurt to wait until September 9th to find out.

September is normally reserved for iPhones. October is the usual iPad refresh announcement.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Vintimus Prime posted:

Reviews I've read so far seem to be consistent on the "hardware is great/kb is okay/iOS limits the device" vibe.

I am really hoping Apple goes all out with iOS 10. I understand the mindset of fragmentation but it does seem the OS is becoming the limiting factor now.

Excuse me, it'll be iOS X.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm just real confused by Apple and their iPad lineup. I have an iPad 3rd Gen and I'd consider an upgrade but 1) The Air 2 is almost two years old and 2) the smaller Pro has features I don't really need (Pencil/Smart Connector support).

The Air 2 skipped a yearly upgrade and is now due for one, especially after the 9.3" Pro announcement. But we probably won't see anything until the fall. If the current rumors are true that the new iPhones are getting newer connectors, it's probably best for me to just wait and see if those changes appear (since I don't need an upgrade immediately) and then see if they migrate to new Air 3s/mini 5s.

mediaphage posted:

If that's true, you're keeping an obscene number of comics on there. Which is totally fine, no judgment, but also not really normal use.

It depends on your use case. If you're using the iPad as a travel device, you can fill up 32GB with movies and TV shows really quickly. Same is true if you're using it primarily as a gaming tablet.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I get why they didn't upgrade the Air 2. It was already so much farther ahead than anything else at the time that it could go two years without an upgrade. Plus, they were focusing hard on the Pro and it's viability that they needed to allow a space the Pro could occupy. An Air 3 with an A9/A9X processor would complicate the Pro's value proposition.

Just look at the test results in Ars Technica's review of the 9.7" Pro from this morning. Aside from having half the memory of the big Pro, the smaller Pro matches it performance-wise. If they put that A9X in an Air 3 last year, it'd severely undercut the larger Pro, to say nothing of the usefulness of a smaller Pro.

But it does end up muddying the waters of the iPad lineup. You've got the Mini 2 still on sale for your low end. Then you make a huge jump, performance-wise, to the Mini 4/Air 2. The 12.9" Pro stands on its own at the top of the iPad lineup due to its sheer size and 4GB of memory. There's much less of a jump from the Air 2 to the 9.7" Pro. You get a not-insignificant performance boost, Pencil and Smart Connector support, and a few other design niceties but that's it. The 9.7" Pro is essentially the Air 3 update that we didn't get in the fall. Except they're still selling the Air 2 which is nearly as good as the smaller Pro and will likely see some kind of update in the fall.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

BottleKnight posted:

I mean at some point it doesn't really matter. It's literally the features of the Pro put into the Air 2. It has the Pro's pricing model though, which I imagine is the biggest consideration in the skew.

ddogflex posted:

I think it is and people are just wanting to believe an Air 3 will come out for no real reason. The only downside to the 9.7" pro is that it's $100 more than the previous going rate for 9.7" iPads.
How is it following to Pro's pricing model? Because it's not $499? It's closer to Air 2 price than 13" Pro price.

The base model 9.7" Pro is an Air 2 with slightly better performance and Pencil and Smart Connector support. It's base model also comes with 32GB which is double the Air 2's base model's storage. However, it costs $600.

The Air 2 lacks the "Pro" support (Pencil and Smart Connector) and performs slightly slower than the 9.7" Pro but it's base model costs $400. You can step up and get double the storage of the base model 9.7" Pro (and 4x the storage of the base Air 2) and still cost $100 less than the 9.7" Pro. Heck, you can get a refurb Air 2 with 64GB of storage for $20 more than a new 16GB Air 2.

So yeah, it's a price thing. Plus, Apple hasn't refreshed the iPad Air since 2014. And since the mini 4 is just an iPad Air 2 in a smaller form factor, they are now aligned for a mutual spec update (if one happens this fall).

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 28, 2016

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

BottleKnight posted:

I've been waffling between the two sizes of iPads. Is there likely to be an iPad Pro 2 later this year? Or with 4gb of ram is the current 12.9 Pro going to last for a while as the best iPad you can get? I know the ram isn't a huge deal with a low-usage OS but I'm really leaning towards the larger tablet due to my main reasons for getting it being Pencil and video stuff.

I know there haven't been any iPad rumors since the 9.7" Pro just came out, but if I'm going to get an iPad that's going to last me years I might as well get the best.

No one really knows. Given that the Air 2 hasn't received an upgrade yet, the Pros could skip an annual upgrade while the Air and mini lines get an Air 3 and mini 5 (A9 processors, RAM bumps, but no pencil and smart connector support).

You won't find out until at least October though so if you want one now, go by what's currently available.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Videos - YouTube, home Plex streaming, Netflix

Cooking - Getting a dock and Paprika makes any iPad an awesome cookbook.

Gaming - I still have an iPad 3rd gen which is okay for games but it's getting long in the tooth. Still a perfect size for gaming of any kind.

Web browsing/Feed reading - I actually don't like the full size iPad for reading books (the mini is the perfect size for that activity) but I'll still read my news feed all day on an iPad.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of iOS 10, with all the 3D Touch features, do you think this would mean 3D Touch is coming to new iPads in the fall? Maybe used to differentiate between the iPad Airs and Pros (3D Touch vs Pencil support)?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

My 12.9" Pro is jailbroken, and I can't speak to how this directly makes it better as a laptop replacement, BUT I can say that pairing the 12.9" iPad with a decent keyboard (like the Logitech Tablet Keyboard), a Citrix X1 mouse, and Jump Desktop means that I can remote into my systems using RDP or VNC to get work done, if needed. It works much, much better than it should.

However, I did see that ChromeOS now has viable RDP plugins for Chrome, so going with a cheapish Chromebook would be a solution too. I just happen to use my iPad for 95% leisure and 5% work, so my solution works much better for me.

gently caress me, this is like my useage case too and I've been looking at grabbing the big Pro for exactly these reasons.

Could I ask why you've decided to go with the Logitech keyboard versus the Apple Smart Keyboard?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
That's not right. The Mini 4 was an Air 2 just in the smaller form factor.

The new iPad definitely appears to bode a general shake-up for the iPad line but it does leave the Mini out in the cold until more information is available.

If the rumored 10.9" iPad is true and a Pro refresh is coming, then your future lineup would be:

Mini 4/iPad
new 10.9" iPad/9.7" Pro
12.9" Pro

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 7, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's daily but not all models are refreshed daily.

When I was looking for a refurbished Pro with either 128GB or 256GB, a couple of weeks went by without any updated stock. Then it seemed to update daily.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just as the leak suggested, the new 10.5" Pro is the same size as the old 9.7" just with thinner bezels.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad I ended up returning my Pro last month. My iPad 3 is slowing biting it but is still functional. I'll wait a bit before pulling the trigger again.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The drag and drop stuff, new app switcher, and dock really, really make the case that the new iPad Pros are finally blending the line between laptop and mobile device. It's still like 70-30 but it's far closer than it ever has been (and a far cry from the "Post-PC era" heralded by the first iPad).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Unless I'm mistaken, are the two iPad Pros identical spec-wise except for the screen size?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I think you just need to let go of your hangups over the new screen on the 10.5 versus the iPad 5's 9.7 screen.

Like, the iPad 5 is a great deal. It's just as fast, if not faster, than the Air 2. It's got TouchID and Apple Pay and will be supported for years and years. It also costs less than the mimi 4's entry price.

If you don't need the Pro features or Pencil support, just get over not having the latest screen dimension and pocket the difference.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

dexter6 posted:

It the 10.x" iPad the EXACT same form factor as 9.x" iPad?

Will cases and smart keyboards work on either? I'm guessing not but hoping so...

It's ever so slightly larger than the 9.7" (less than half inch taller or 10mm).

It has a new full size smart keyboard so I don't think older accessories will work with it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I had to turn off iCloud Photos/Photostream on my 16GB iPad 3. It was the only way to keep my local storage from being overwhelmed.

When I get a new Pro, definitely stepping up to the 256GB tier.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Ars has their review out of the new 10.5".

Basically, whenever iOS 11 arrives, the new Pros will make the strongest case yet for replacing a laptop so long as your use case doesn't involve coding and video/audio editing. Their biggest gripe is that iOS 11 isn't out now to really show off the power/versatility of the Pros.

They noted specifically that the A10X Fusion chips perform better than the Intel CPUs of Macbooks, and if not best at least match, the performance of the base model Macbook Pro. Pretty impressive stuff.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

I'm pondering the same for the kiddos since the future of the mini seems a bit uncertain :(

My thinking goes that it's uncertain now that Apple refreshes the mini at this point but it's internals are on par-ish with the new iPad they just introduced so it'll likely be supported for a long while.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The 10.5" iPad is the smaller of the two Pro models.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The weight would bother me more if I was coming from an Air or Air 2. Those iPads were seriously light.

But I've still got an iPad 3rd Generation which weighs about the same as a 12.9 Pro so it's the same weight but thinner and bigger.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: I love the 12.9.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I would love it to be backlit but otherwise I love the Smart Cover keyboard.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I made an Apple event thread. The iPad line got the 10.5" model and Pro revisions so I wouldn't expect anything iPad specific beyond iOS 11's features and release date.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
You could also try Settings->General->Accessibility->Reduce Motion to On which removes the animations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Maybe????

There's no telling what Apple will do with the mini form-factor. It hasn't seen an update since fall 2015 and is missing. That said, it is still reasonably speedy.

For your friend's use case, it should do fine.