Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
But even if you get the shape right, what are the chances that it actually fits? Like if it's off by 1mm it will either not fit or fall off. I literally have no idea how this works in any scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I have the New iPad 3 and was totally going to get a mini if they introduced Retina and TouchID. Well, I'm another person who is spoiled by touchID. I actually try just about every time to unlock my iPad that way and get frustrated when it doesn't have it.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
OK. Call me Timb but...

Does anyone else's Mini Retina screen seem to have really lovely colors? Holding it against my iPad 3 Retina or my iPhone 5s, the greens and reds looks particularly bad.

Or is it just me?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

SaturdayKnight posted:

It's probably just you since how the gently caress do you have a retina mini already?
Bought it online, checked in-store availability and the place a block away had one. So I bought it.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

People have been complaining that the color gamut is lower, resulting in a washed out looking screen when directly comparing:

Not certain of the validity - have to wait for Anandtech to do his in depth review to really know details about the screen quality.

e: but yours sounds horrendous - maybe go to a store, compare, and switch it out?
OK I just did the comparison with my 5S like that photo, and my (untrained eye) opinion is that is is less bright / crisp, even with the screen at full brightness.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Dirk Funk posted:

Can you guys recommend me some good apps whether they are free or not? I'm looking for simple fun games, stuff for making music, stuff for photos, social stuff like trivia games, etc. Basically quick fun party stuff.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522474
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548351

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
For me, it was photos and videos in text messages. Deleting them got my backup down to a gig or so.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I went ahead and created an event thread here: Apple Event - September 7th - Pre-, Live- and Post-Discussion Thread.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I'm officially (deep into) my thirties...

I have an iPad Pro and Pencil... what's a nice coloring book app?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

Are you talking about the drawing program Procreate? That's the best drawing app for the iPad, but I think he's asking about coloring book apps.

Pigment is pretty good. The app comes with a bunch of coloring pages and then you can subscribe for more. But if you download the pages I don't think you lose them when you cancel the subscription so it's not like you're locked into a monthly charge.
I was, thanks, I'll try it out.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
It the 10.x" iPad the EXACT same form factor as 9.x" iPad?

Will cases and smart keyboards work on either? I'm guessing not but hoping so...

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Is there a goon recommend stylus for non-iPad Pros?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Weedle posted:

Someone should post a new thread so we can get rid of the ghost post haunting this one. I'd do it but I don't want the responsibility of updating the OP.
I was wondering what was causing that. So it's a forum's problem and not an awful app problem?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
This is the only Apple Pencil accessory I’ve needed:

Pentel Sharp Mechanical Pencil
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HN26F0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_srwXAb59F51Q9

Pop the metal clip off, slide it on the pencil at the medal band and it looks like it was made to be there and can be stored on your Smart Keyboard or in any pencil/pen holder in your backpack/briefcase.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Does iOS 12 bring calculator to iPad? I’ve only been waiting for like ever.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
The iPad Pro w/ magic keyboard and trackpad is just amazing. The curser works so well. The only thing I’m noticing is that I wish there were more keyboard and trackpad shortcuts. I find myself not wanting to lift my hands to touch the screen that often.

Like, ideally, I want to touch the screen when I want to, but shouldn’t have to.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Look up a cheat sheet for MacOS keyboard shortcuts. I don't have an ipad/keyboard setup but from what I understand there's a lot of overlap on that.
Yeah, I’ve been using OS X for years.

One of the things I’m thinking of is getting to the Home Screen (from either locked or within the app).

On MacOS, I would Cmd+Tab to the Finder app and that would bring me home. No such luck on iPadOS

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

three finger swipe up or cmd+h
:not worthy:

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
App Library is not in the current beta of iPadOS 14.

Has anyone seen any statements from Apple about this? Do they plan to add it later or is this an iPhone-only “feature” like “calculator”?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Last Chance posted:

App Library and always-on homescreen widgets are not a part of iPadOS 14. Guess we learned why they split up iOS and iPadOS lol
Feedback submitted!

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Also: https://www.refurb.me/

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh hey my mailed ipad trade in got though without issues. Got my $535 so now I have a (slightly) less expensive overpowered slab of glass with a bad OS.
Thanks for the update! Do you have a vlog I can follow for real-time updates on this saga?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Strange quirk…

My screen always used to look like this when I was connected to my keyboard and in a text field:

However, recently it looks like this:

Which is super annoying because I have to tap the icon and then the password suggestion (or auto correct).

Did I accidentally change something recently or was this a software update?

Please help!

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

japtor posted:

I think you can drag it to center to expand it to how it was before.
THIS WAS IT OMG THANK YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Goon-created, I believe

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Silly issue that I can't fix....

How do I make my iPad audibly ring when I get a phone call? Currently, it alerts, but it is silent. So unless I can hear my phone ringing in the other room or I am looking at my iPad's screen, I will miss the call. My iPad otherwise functions and plays sounds and everything perfectly as expected.

I feel like at some point I purposely silenced the sound but I want it back on now...

Things I've checked:
* Settings -> Notifications -> FaceTime (since there isn't a "Phone" option like iPhone has) -> Sounds -> On
* Settings -> Sounds -> Ringtone and Alert volume -> Set to medium
* Settings -> Sounds -> Change with buttons -> On (I've called myself and used the rocker switches to raise and lower the volume while my iPad is "ringing", and it doesn't cause any sound to be made)
* Settings -> FaceTime -> Notifications -> Sounds -> On (this looks like the same setting above)
* Focus Modes -> Whether turned on or off, make no difference
* Control Center -> Silent Mode -> Off (but also toggled it on and off to troubleshoot).

Short of resetting the device, any where else I can look?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

On iPad:
- Settings > FaceTime > Calls from IPhone set to ON
- Settings > FaceTime > FaceTime set to ON

On iPhone:
- Settings > Phone > Calls on other devices > Allow calls on other devices set to ON > allow calls on *devices of choice*
Yes, those are all set. The calls are coming to my iPad as expected, there just is no audible ring tone on the iPad.

Last Chance posted:

Have you checked which ringtone you’ve set in the Sounds setting? If there isn’t an assigned ringtone, no sounds will be made:

Yep, this is set to "Reflection (default)"

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Quoting myself to see if anyone else has anything I can look at....

dexter6 posted:

Silly issue that I can't fix....

How do I make my iPad audibly ring when I get a phone call? Currently, it alerts, but it is silent. So unless I can hear my phone ringing in the other room or I am looking at my iPad's screen, I will miss the call. My iPad otherwise functions and plays sounds and everything perfectly as expected.

I feel like at some point I purposely silenced the sound but I want it back on now...

Things I've checked:
* Settings -> Notifications -> FaceTime (since there isn't a "Phone" option like iPhone has) -> Sounds -> On
* Settings -> Sounds -> Ringtone and Alert volume -> Set to medium
* Settings -> Sounds -> Change with buttons -> On (I've called myself and used the rocker switches to raise and lower the volume while my iPad is "ringing", and it doesn't cause any sound to be made)
* Settings -> FaceTime -> Notifications -> Sounds -> On (this looks like the same setting above)
* Focus Modes -> Whether turned on or off, make no difference
* Control Center -> Silent Mode -> Off (but also toggled it on and off to troubleshoot).
* Settings -> FaceTime > Calls from IPhone set to ON
* Settings -> FaceTime > FaceTime set to ON

On iPhone:
* Settings > Phone > Calls on other devices > Allow calls on other devices set to ON > allow calls on *devices of choice*

Short of resetting the device, any where else I can look?