Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Absolutely. That Orange-Byte goon sells $2 Deal Extreme cases for like 12 bucks a pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Geez. I barely got 225 for a perfect condition 3.

Oh yeah the Air is loving awesome. So thin and light.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I ordered a case of Amazon but I'm using an old netbook sleeve in the meantime. I actually might stick with this setup. This thing is so awesome to use a case would just add bulk to that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I don't know if anyone else here is having the Air problems MacRumors is talking about, but I've got a big shadowy horizontal bar through my screen and the right side of my screen is distractingly blue. I think I may just return the Air rather than play Apple roulette since I border-hopped to get it more cheaply and I don't want to open another and find the same thing.

Urgh, I want to love this so much. :(

Why don't you open it at the store and make sure it's ok?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Xabi posted:

My biggest regret regarding the Air is picking up the cover instead of the case. Wish there was a way to get out of that one.

Can't you return it?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hey guys my super edge case scenario not being supported by Apple makes it a lovely design.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Does Amaazon even sell them? I know they have re-sellers that do. Wal-mart, Target, and all the other retailers seem to have a discount or gift card tossed in. Apple may also have some sort of Black Friday deal.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Thanks for that idea! I bought one of these from Amazon for 5 bucks and now it looks a million times better without that logo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'd call back again and try to get to the right department. That fee is supposed to be for "how do I do this" questions after the phone coverage ends. Your issue is a warranty issue and they should absolutely help you figure that out for free.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Try logging out of the App Store and back in.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It was a good decision on Apple's part to essentially put the same guts in the new Mini and Air. I personally prefer the Air, but you really don't miss anything if you go with the Mini.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The Air is without a doubt the gold standard for tablets. Get a 32GB and you won' regret it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Not to be snarky, but your best option for this is pen and paper. Stylus based note-taking apps just aren't there yet. Plus I don't think there's any that sync to iCloud aside for iCloud backup purposes

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 16, 2014

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I Am Crake posted:

What kind of a person are you holy gently caress lmao

He's a TCC regular opiate addict.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

NeilPerry posted:

The cool thing is that with the weak yen I can get an iPad air at about 380 euro. An iPad 4 Retina would be about 320 euro. I mean, that's only 60 euro difference. Would the Air be worth that small difference?

Absolutely. The Air is better in every way.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Xabi posted:

What's the best way to transfer photos from Mac to ipad, into some sort of folder, without plugging in a cable?

With Mac OS 10.10 and iOS 8 you can Airdrop poo poo from Mac to iOS devices. Also with the new Photos app for Mac 10.0 and iOS8, apparently ALL your photos will be in the cloud and the desktop and iOS app will basically see one big library.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

You could also use the current iPhoto app, publish a library (batch of pics) to iCloud and it will show up in the current iOS photos app.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

wooger posted:

Apple devices have become much less serviceable and more prone to major damage than they were a few years ago. Any damage = replacement now with iOS devices.

I'm pretty sure it's just the opposite now. They're trying to do MORE repairs. I know they are doing things like replacing cameras, headphone and lightning ports.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If the info on your iPad says it's got Applecare Plus on it, you're good. It's not like they can tell when the damage occurred.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Having SMS conversations from my iPad is slick.

How does this work? Does the SMS stuff go through the cloud or does the iPhone send it right to the iPad via BT or wifi? I can't seem to get that to work even though I have Handoff turned on for both devices.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Venkmanologist posted:

I was under the impression both devices had to be on the same wifi network for it work, meaning it's local.

You're probably right. Our network blocks tons of ports for whatever reason. I'll monkey with it at home.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MrNonacho posted:

I'm having the same problem you were with getting text message continuity working. Did you find a way?

Yeah it's not working for me either. Sometimes the messages app on my iPad or Mac will sync up and add a poo poo ton of old messages but I can't send any. Any ideas?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MrNonacho posted:

It works fine for my iPhone and iPad, but not my wife's. I got the popup right away asking if I wanted to forward messages, but I either missed it or it never showed up for her. I've tried signing out/in of iCloud, iMessage and Facetime but so far no luck.

I'm not getting the popup at all. I just did a fresh wipe on my iPhone and iPad. I didn't even restore from backup. Everything else for handoff works except for SMS relay.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Daedalus Esquire posted:

iPad sms seems to work pretty inconsistently... Anyone else having issues or suggestions.

Apparently it's not actually supposed to go live until October, which would explain why it's not working for some people.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Did the iPad 3 ever had Airdrop? I could have sworn the option was there once but now that I'm on iOS 8 I can't seem to find it or an alternate reliable way to transfer files between it and my phone.

According to Apple, it's available on iPad 4 or better.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

Okay, I have an iPad Air 1, and iOS 8 has made wifi borderline unusable. It cuts out probably once every few minutes or so of continuous use, sometimes going a while with no problem, sometimes failing immediately after reconnecting several times in a row. It seems to be changing some network settings/renegotiating the connection as indicated by the loading sign next to the wifi signal marker, pretty much 100% of the time.

8.1 did nothing at all to fix the problem. I usually get 2 bars of reception, occasionally dipping to one, but this never happened before. I've reset network settings multiple times, and location services are off, again no improvement.

I guess I'm just wondering how the gently caress Apple managed to basically brick my $500 device?

Here's a few things to check:

-Does this happen everywhere or just your home wifi? If yes, do a factory restore but DO NOT restore from a backup. If it persists, take it to an Apple Store for a replacement if it's under warranty.

If it only has issues at home, troubleshoot the Router:
-Update firmware
-Blow router settings to defaults
-Leave the network open (no password) temporarily just for the purposes of troubleshooting.
-Make sure the router is relatively close to the iPad so you know it's not a signal issue.
-Try another router if all that fails.

Is it iOS 8? Maybe. Is your iPad broken? Maybe. Is it the router? Maybe. You have to do some stuff to isolate whatever is actually broken. For what it's worth, I have a launch iPad Air running 8.1 with no problems at home or elsewhere.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 26, 2014

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

serebralassazin posted:

I can't seem to get airdrop working between my iPhone 6 and my early 2011 MacBook Pro. System information says air drop is supported. I was trying to send over a photo to my laptop but nothing shows up when I click on air drop in finder.

According to Apple's information here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6510

It says, "In order to transfer files between a Mac and and an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, your iOS device needs iOS 7 or later installed and your Mac needs to be a 2012 or later model."

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Pogo Stick Eagle posted:

Is it wrong that I already have a third gen iPad but now I want to get a Mini Retina just to carry around with me?

The Mini 2 (or 3) has better specs all around anyway. I'd flip the 3 and get a Mini.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Solly posted:

Bought it in the US and live in the UK, don't know how well the returning it thing would play out. I'll probably just put up with it because nothing I own ever works right.

If anyone wants some laughs, click on this dude's IYG post history. He's some sort of bizarre consumer electronics black hole.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

tuyop posted:

Apple is right. Life is better this way. You don't need to play video games on your computer.

I will be totally honest and say that switching to Mac only at home helped me stop playing video games aside from casual poo poo on my phone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Solly posted:

So has anyone else noticed occasional loud popping noises from the speaker on the air2 before video playback starts? I also get high pitched squeaking noises sometimes.

That is completely normal behavior and happens on all iOS devices.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Volfogg posted:

My dad and I are going to be picking up an Air 2 for my mom for Christmas. I take it there's pretty much no difference between buying it at an Apple Store or a Best Buy or wherever. Is this true, or is there any reason to actually buy it at an Apple Store over anywhere else?

If you order from the Apple website you can get custom engraving on the back. At a retail store, no real difference.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Take in to an Apple Store or call them. They do a diagnostic to make sure you didn't break it already. If it checks out, you're good to go.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Not gonna work. You can get a refurbed iPad Mini 2 for $250 which is a hell of a deal. The 2 has the same specs as the 3. The only difference is the lack of TouchID.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That doesn't sound right. I've not experienced that doing FaceTime.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'm a bit confused as to which bit of multi-tasking isn't going to work on the original iPad Air, can anyone explain?

I think the side by side split-pane thing is the only thing not on the iPad Air 1.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Snuffman posted:

I think the full side by side thing is the only feature that's completely restricted to the Air 2.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see picture in picture video on the mini 1/older iPads.

Sidebar stuff looks really really cool though. Is it available to developers from the get go or is it Apple apps only? Pokeyman better get on making awful.app working. :argh:

Yeah that's what I meant.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Loucks posted:

Is there any way to block those super lovely ads that launch the App Store from Safari?

iOS 9 I believe.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

When you go to rent something on iTunes there's a link that clearly explains how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

Try Microsoft OneDrive? It's almost guaranteed to work better than iCloud trash.

iCloud + iOS 9 + OS X 10.11 is pretty spiffy and seamless now.