Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
So I connected my Magic Trackpad 2 to my new iPad mini to test it out...and none of the gestures work :confused:. Pretty sure it's supposed to just work, but is there some setting I'm maybe missing? Looked through Settings-General-Trackpad and Accessibility stuff but didn't spot anything. Looks like there's supposed to be a General-Gesture setting but it only shows up in the search, it's not actually there to go to.

japtor fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

anothergod posted:

Another thing I noticed is that my orange folio is getting kinda dirty. I just toss this whole thing in my bag and... I guess that's what happens. Is there a way to clean it or....?
The usual thing is something like "damp cloth", or just buy a cheap knockoff when it gets too trashed.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

I got the crayon for an incoming iPad Air 4 I’ll be using to teach and tutor. I’m just wondering what the experience will be like vs the pencil?

I borrowed a friend’s Air 4 and Pencil 2 for a session and it was incredibly good but the software I use doesn’t care about pressure or angle or anything so I was thinking the extra $60 would be a bit of a waste vs the crayon. Is that about right?
For straight digital input like that it should be fine afaik, like it has the same tracking as the Pencil 1 uses. Maybe not as good as the 2nd gen but it should still be fine (saying that as someone that has been using a 1st gen for a while). I think the main drawback will be losing the convenience factor of the magnetic connection and just charging on the side.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Now if I could just find a use for an Apple Pencil since dexterity is my dump stat and I have the artistic skills of a salad bar. Are there any good sub $50 knock offs for just writing/quick notes/drag and drop for the 2nd gen pencil that don't involve aliexpress?
Looks like Logitech Crayons are $40-50 on eBay, knockoff Pencils about $20-30 on Amazon (which is basically a more expensive AliExpress with faster shipping for stuff like this), might be ones down to $15 if you look hard enough. To find them basically just search for "iPad stylus 2018", that should limit the results to the Pencil knockoffs (vs the ones that are just fancy generic capacitive styluses).

Bottom Liner posted:

My handwriting is absolute garbage with the pencil. How do I improve it?
Stop being garbage at handwriting.

The app matters too. I noticed the Notes app can do some weird stuff with line adjustments at times that messes with my writing, like deleting or cutting down some strokes.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

anothergod posted:

Is there a typing test app but for handwriting?
You can write in any text field so TypeRacer actually kinda works. The punctuation and fixing partial words/typos is a massive pain though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

RhoA posted:

Laptop finally took a dump, so considering getting a new iPad Mini for mobile computing purposes. Given that I use a iPhone 13 Max Pro, wondering if the relatively minimal size difference between it and the iPad Mini will make it even worthwhile to go for the Mini. Don’t need an iPad Pro and the Mini over the Air sounds appealing as mostly a throw around device as I have a Windows desktop for most of my other poo poo.
Diagonal wise it's not that much bigger, but because the different aspect ratio it's nearly double the area, and iPad software can lay things out differently on the bigger screen. Think of it more like a small laptop (well, tablet) screen than a bigger phone screen, if that makes sense.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

anothergod posted:

That mouse looks better than the one I have for my PC. I guess that makes the price easier to swallow.

Anyone have vertical stand advice? Sometimes I wanna type on my keyboard in vertical but the Apple folio only does it horizontal. I have a mini if that helps. Related: are there gooseneck flexible mounts that are recommend3d?
iPad "origami" cases were nice for this, but they seem less common these days. This is the only one I found just now for the new mini, it's both a fatter case style (than the minimal new magnetic folio type) and the fold angles don't look great with that particular design. Otherwise whatever generic device stand like this will work and give you more angles at least. There's been goosenecks posted in the thread a few times but don't know which particular ones myself.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dexter6 posted:

Strange quirk…

My screen always used to look like this when I was connected to my keyboard and in a text field:

However, recently it looks like this:

Which is super annoying because I have to tap the icon and then the password suggestion (or auto correct).

Did I accidentally change something recently or was this a software update?

Please help!
I think you can drag it to center to expand it to how it was before.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I’m having an issue where if I get a message on my iPhone and I delete it, it is not deleted on my iPad. Is there a setting I need to turn on or something?

Edit: along the same lines, I’ve realized I will never use the receive calls feature on my iPad since it doesn’t block spam/spoofed numbers. How do I turn this off as well?
For the deleted messages I’m guessing you need iCloud message sync turned on. To turn off calls, try on the iPhone, Settings-Phone-Calls on other devices, and maybe the wifi calling on other devices setting too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Maybe a page in Safari or some other browser (that does full screen better)?

Something like this:
https://time.is/ or https://www.timeanddate.com/

Former has a simpler "just time" view, latter has a more or less actual full screen mode if you click through a few times (current time, full screen, then full screen again). Could open a separate Safari instance to keep it separate from your normal tabs.

(If they have ads I'm not seeing them, either being blocked or some other reason)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Technically you could charge all that stuff with USB-A fine and make do with something like this, unless you really need the faster USB-PD charging rates like faster charging the iPad or for the Switch dock (where you specifically need the 15V/3A profile).

And I do the drag along Apple TV thing, small and simple enough and figure it's a better experience than the iPad HDMI adapter route.

...unless you forget the remote and the remote app won't work cause they're not on the same LAN cause you need the remote to configure the new wifi network. And I didn't have the nearby AirPlay setting on so couldn't even do that...but I guess AirPlay would basically be the same as using an HDMI adapter. Maybe the TV at the place is one of the newer ones with built in AirPlay :v:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Never spent a cent but remembered the balance it starts out with, I thought it was just for international calls (and texts?). Maybe there's some different level of free features grandfathered in too for all I know.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

You want origami cases. I have one my my iPad air and it can sit in 3 positions, mostly upright (landscape), mostly horizontal (landscape), and mostly vertical

The one I got for my air is this one (no longer available) but perhaps that's a starting point for your search for the mini.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GC6X7GR/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_E7GGCNG36TEQR51A2N7F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
drat, nothing like that yet for the new iPad mini that I can tell. There's more origami ones on AliExpress at least (a bunch more if you search for multi folding case), but nothing with just the bare magnetic folio style.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I kept my iPad mini 4 around when I got the 5, whenever that came out. I remember Safari being pretty painful in iOS 14 with a relatively fresh install, similarly having long lockups. Media player apps and such worked fine enough though. Never figured out the Safari lockups.

It was worth decent money on a trade in when I got the new iPad mini at least.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

anothergod posted:

Pretending like my Mini 6 will last forever
Probably last a good while. The 4th gen came out with an older gen CPU when it came out, and thus missed out on one of the bigger jumps (A8 to A9) which would've helped over the years. At this point it's six generations behind, vs just two for the 5th gen (which still feels totally fine).

Ultimate Mango posted:

Even the current air is great. I get the desire to wait until something is newly refreshed but if you can get a good deal on the Air of today I’d do it. Source: have a 10.5 pro and just got a new Air for the wife and am insanely jealous. It’s good kit and the Touch ID is actually awesome whereas the faceid on the pro is still janky.
Heh, I feel like Touch ID is the most annoying thing about the iPad mini, I guess cause I've gotten used to tapping the screen to wake. Course the best would be to just have both...maybe one day :negative:

McGurk posted:

I'm finally running into work situations where my iPad Pro 2018 battery can't handle all-day Zoom calls without needing a charge. I'd like to continue using my wired headphones but reviews on USB-C adapters with 3.5mm and USB-C power seem totally mixed. Does anyone have a good one they use?
Most are probably the same generic design internally so just try one with a bunch of ok enough reviews and easy return policy I guess. Main concern I have looking at a few is that they don't seem to support the headphone's mic on iPads for whatever reason. Maybe the built in iPad mic can still work in those cases?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Thanks for that, will have to check it out later. I think my iPad is broken.

Saw that on my previous iPad once. Restarted and tried a different cable and it was fine since. And the old cable (which I thought maybe my friend’s cat messed with) still worked fine I think? Or maybe not I forget. But basically restart and try a different cable and charger.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

anothergod posted:

The jelly scrolling thing is so overblown. People will find any reason to hate on the little tablet.
At this point I only remember it's a thing when someone mentions it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xzzy posted:

I also really dig the phone sized keyboard in the lower left, it's great for one handed entries. Is there an option somewhere to have that default on? :v:
Two finger pinch the full keyboard...unless they took that out for some iPads. Works on the iPad mini at least.

some kinda jackal posted:

I use my pencil maybe once or twice a month, so it’s kind of a hard sell to someone when I tell them that AND they know it’s like a hundred-something bones.

But what I always try to stress is that the one or two times a month I do use it, it’s basically invaluable.

Any company but Apple I would have expected the pencil to just be a pack-in, as it should have been IMO. But you know how big fruit is.
There's ~$20 knockoffs that appear to be functional copycats of the Logitech Crayon, i.e. same tracking as the Pencil but missing pressure sensitivity while keeping tilt iirc. Main drawback is needing to charge with a cable.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

prom candy posted:

They need the ANC features though.
Beats Studio Buds? Or Beats Fit Pro?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I assume you don’t have a new enough Mac and iPad to use sidecar/airplay mirroring?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The General posted:

Watching Squidgames and whenever subtitles are displayed the overall screen gets dimmer. Auto brightness is turned off. It's distracting.
I remember seeing that kind of thing before too, basically seems like a really lovely image enhancement thing, but never found a way to turn it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Nintendo should just port their Art Academy games to iPad :colbert: