Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

randyest posted:

The battery life is the same. What does "shrunk" mean?

OK!

The battery is physically smaller, as confirmed by multiple tear downs. Real world battery tests are showing shorter battery life as well (duh). It's still great, but not as great as the air. I'm pretty sure we're all in universal agreement that we'd prefer better batteries as opposed to even thinner devices now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

dutchbstrd posted:

It goes

iPad
iPad 2
The New iPad
iPad (4th Generation)
iPad Air
iPad Air 2

No, iPad 3 was "iPad with retina", iPad 4 was "The New iPad"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

wooger posted:

Wait, you seriously have a 6+ and a mini?
That combination really does seem redundant.

It is, but in a backwards rear end way because of app compatibility. I want to watch Netflix and play Hearthstone while pooping, but I have to watch Netflix on the 6+ and play Hearthstone on the mini. The 6+ should really just run iPad apps natively, goddamnit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's not that hard. Hearthstone is a simple game with lots of downtime :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

Also one of the reasons I got an iPad. Hearthstone. Was totally bummed when my 6+ couldnt grab it though :(
Suppooooooosedly coming soon™. You can install it via jailbreak now, but you have to manually update it every patch.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yup, tempered glass is by far the best for staying clean.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What's the best PDF reader? iBooks works great as a UI, but the organization is garbage and it bloats file sizes for some reason. I dropped <500mb in and now iBooks is using 2gb, and I need to put like 10 gigs more PDFs on here.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Make a custom focus mode?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My handwriting is absolute garbage with the pencil. How do I improve it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

note that you can not turn off moues acceleration on the ipad unless you put it into a keyboard/trackpad combo and then it gives you an option to turn it off. It's loving bizarre but once you set it to off you can use an actual mouse without acceleration.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I really hate the trackpad on the Logitech keyboard case. Takes way too much force to click it and difference amounts of force on different parts. Probably returning it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Arivia posted:

Does tap to click not work?

Nope! Honestly couldn’t believe how bad the trackpad was.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

101 posted:

Settings > General > Trackpad > Tap to Click not an option?

Gives the option but doesn't work.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I agree, it's about 90% there but every now and then it doesn't translate as expected.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Anyone have a recommended USB-C to HDMI adapter with a USB-C charging passthrough for an iPad? We're going on vacation for Christmas and I'd like to be able to watch movies and such on the room TV. (The alternative is to just drag along an AppleTV, and I might just do that.)

For that matter, any recommendations for a charging brick with four ports, at least two being USB-C? I need to be able to charge an iPhone/AirPods (USB-A or C), iPad (USB-C), Apple Watch (USB-A or C), and Switch (USB-C), and I'd like to do it with just one brick if possible.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Anker-Delivery-PowerPort-Foldable/dp/B07GWQ2GJC/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=anker+power+brick&qid=1638944389&sr=8-4

I have this and it works great. 2x that would be a lot cheaper and more flexible than the all in one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

Anyone got a favorite cable brand for a nice usb-c to usb-a? I have some no-name one I got off Amazon a long ways back and it doesn't clip properly into my ipad's port, allowing it to fall out if I look at it wrong.

Anker are my go to

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-2-Pack-Premium-Charging-Samsung/dp/B07DC5PPFV?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/crystal-adblock-block-unwanted-ads/id1022177308

served me well since it was released

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

anothergod posted:

Are there apps to read PDFs like regular eBooks? I have some TTRPG reference books on PDF that I'd like to use, but the google drive interface is kinda garbo

iBooks works perfectly for this.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

anothergod posted:

For all other uses - media consumption, reading, gaming, note taking, the internet - the mini is just better.

I love the form factor of the mini but all of these are purely up to preference. I certainly prefer video on my pro over my old mini. Reading on the mini is great but I also have a kindle paperwhite that is much better for that in the same size range. The mini is kind of a jack of all trades size for me, it can do everything well, but nothing best.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Depends on the work really. It’s a great supplemental device for photo editing on the couch or traveling but still missing some key things in photoshop/Lightroom. Same with video work. The specs are better than my desktop but the software isn’t there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think the base or pro is the way to go right now. Base for best price, Pro for best features/power. Mini if you have a small or older phone or need a smaller form factor just for reading or travel or bed/couch use, but you're paying a big premium for that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

anothergod posted:

And the iPad Mini is faster and is a better format for games, note taking, and book reading.

the only one you can even argue here is reading. full size is easily better for notes and games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It would be a killer device at $200 like my first Gen one I got on sale. At 500+ it’s kinda ridiculous.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

it's worth the $300 to rustle your jimmies for sure

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'd bet that stays on the pro line if the phones are anything to go by.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Base ipad will handle all of those just fine and only run you $300. If you do decide to do more with it grab a keyboard/trackpad case and it's about 80% of the way to a pro. the extreme portability goes away as soon as you add a keyboard of any type though (then it's literally just a macbook air form factor).

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 28, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That in no way would “gently caress the battery life”.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Speaking of, why is scrolling between home pages on the pro so lovely? You have to very precisely and slowly press and scroll just right to move between them. Also swiping into the alt-tab view kinda sucks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah buying used from amazon is pretty safe because their return policy is very generous

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This is a weird one I’m hoping someone here can help me figure out.

The twitch app on my iPad never plays ads. I don’t have turbo or subs, just for some reason the ads never run. I’d like to replicate this on my iPhone where they always play and play immediately on opening a stream. I can even do it side by side on both devices on the same account. iPhone gets an ad, iPad never does. The only adblocker I have on both is Crystal for Safari, but updated to the current version.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My essentials:

Chunky
Pocket Casts
VLC
Notability
Memrise
Crystal
Procreate

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

101 posted:

Panels over Chunky any day of the week

Yeah? I mostly use it for PDFs and not CBRs but if it's better for both I'll try it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I made the mistake of using a YouTube Premium trial and can't go back. I do most of my YouTube watching on a TV with a Fire Stick.

Idk if it still works like this for new signups, but YouTube Music is only $10/month and includes YT premium.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Thanks to you I just checked out the developers other apps and saw they have something called “Search Filter” that lets you nuke any domains from Google/DDG search results.

Before:

After:

This is amazing.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/amp-shockwave/id1587707585

They also have this to remove those loving terrible Google AMP redirects

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pencil yes. Keyboard no UNLESS you only want to use it exactly in a laptop position and not as a more mobile tablet you can rotate and all normally. I much prefer a folding stand and wireless keyboard but if you mainly use it like a laptop the keyboard is really nice.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kirios posted:

For the folks with high end iPads does is basically become your main computer? How does it behave plugged into monitors?

Time wise it’s become my main device but i still rely on both my PC desktop and MacBook Pro for edge cases.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I have about 100 PDFs on my IBooks app and I need to back them up on my computer. What is the easiest way to do this? I have a Mac and PC so either is an option.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm talking about from the iPad OS Books to computer.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

You'd have to use a 3rd party app.

I should have clarified: The method I described earlier assumes you have iCloud sync turned on for the Books app on both your iPad and MacOS client. Once you do that you'll see those PDFs in the Books app on your computer.

An ok. Definitely won’t work then since it’s way more than the free storage you get with iCloud. Might have to batch email them or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Pay the $1 for 50gb of iCloud and don’t deal with the headaches?

Ok, so I get that and sync them then it just syncs to iBooks on the Macbook, but I can’t get them out of iBooks on my Macbook? Is there not a folder somewhere it stores them?