Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey all, what's the consensus on high-quality keyboard cases for the iPad. I have an iPad2 right now, may eventually upgrade but at the moment don't see any reason to. My neighbor lent me his Zagg case to test out ( http://www.amazon.com/ZAGGfolio-Keyboard-Case-iPad-new/dp/B007JIN6T8) and I find it to be really great. The keys are not silicone and do a great job of mimicking a standard keyboard. I'm interested in the next level up that has a backlit keyboard and looks like a mini-macbook when you have the case closed ( http://www.amazon.com/computers-accessories/dp/B009O7HB2U ). Has anyone used both of these keyboards? Are they similar in how the keys feel? I'd hate to get the newer one and find that they changed the feeling of them.

Also on the radar are these Logitech ones, but I'm not seeing how 'click-clacky' the feel of its keyboard is. Can anyone report in and let me know some feedback?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

I've heard good things about this:

http://clamcase.com/bluetooth-ipad-keyboard-case.html

Owning an iPad mini, though, I just own a Logitech k760 and use the smart cover to prop it up. It works well enough for me, but the Clamcase is absolutely what I would buy if I had a big iPad.

Holy smokes that thing looks sweet, but $170 is a big nut to swallow. I was thinking the $99 for the Zagg was on the high end. I'll keep it in mind, I appreciate the feedback!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I can speak favorably over the Zagg case, but don't have experience with the newest one.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

El Hefe posted:

iPad 2 is still a very nice iPad, it's going to get iOS 7 support and its still a fast tablet, it doesn't turn to poo poo just because the iPad 5 is out, give it to your sister if she doesn't have one I say.

On that note, what are the most popular (and likely) rumors about the new line of iPads? I have an iPad 2 (that really is working perfectly fine for everything, except for low space) and looking to get another one either to give to the kids to use or for myself and give them the iPad 2. Or, pick up a cheap 3 or 4 after the 5 is released.

I totally know that Apple rumors are the worst rumors, just curious to hear what is out there.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

El Hefe posted:

Lighter, thinner bezels like in the iPad mini and a new faster processor are what pretty much everyone's expecting.

There are some crazy rumors like Apple is going to make it waterproof and poo poo like that.

Thanks for all the responses. That's basically what I thought. If its nothing revolutionary I will likely just pick them up a first gen mini on the cheap. My iPad 2 is plugging away just fine. Xcom runs terrific :)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

slow crow posted:

iOS7 on the iPad makes life in general more beautiful.

Is there any way towards having these devices not made by slaves? I feel like the increased productivity I've experienced has conserved at least $10 I'd gladly put towards buying the workers actual isopropyl to clean the screens for shipping as opposed to carcinogenics that cost fractions of a US cent less per litre.

What?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Does commentary on the ethical business practices of tech companies operating in China belong in this thread?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I need a gold 128GB iPad to go with my Gold plated AK.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Has there been a solution for any external storage on the iPad? That'd really address a lot of these issues. That being said, any such storage would likely be as costly as the upgrade to the larger storage...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nihiliste posted:

There are a bunch of companies that make Wi-Fi storage drives - I use a Kingston Wi-Drive. In my case you have to play every file through a proprietary Kingston app, but that's more than good enough for video as long as there aren't any separate subtitle files, and they're MP4 clips with AAC audio. VLC it ain't.

The economics works in favor of the Wi-drive, although it can only really be used for media as others have pointed out having too many big games/apps will spoil a 16 gig iPad real fast. Quick look on Amazon has the 32gb Widrive at $50, 64 at $80, and 128 at $130. We don't use local media at all, and anything I have is in MKV but I suppose could easily enough be converted. This does make me think I could make do with a 16gb iPad since I don't load up on games but COULD see myself using a drive like this in the future. I also like the idea that I could load it up and different iPads/iPods (ie: my kids) could tap into them at different times so they wouldn't need big iDevices either.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

How unwieldy is 1lb on a device that will be used as a reader for long stretches? While the bigger screen on the Air is great for games, which I play a decent amount, I use my Mini to read in bed for at least an hour or more a day, and given the potential supply constraints on the Mini with Retina, I'd rather avoid running to stores all holiday season trying to find out when they get their next shipment of devices.

Are they any other tablets I could use as analogues for the weight/PPI?

I'm a major believer in the unitasker device when it comes to reading. I love my Kindle (non-tablet) and won't read on anything but that. Granted, if you're doing a lot of PDFs it doesn't always handle them well (unsure of how the newer models do at rendering) but you cannot beat the lack of a backlit LCD for the strain on your eyes.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I've been pretty happy with my 2 for the longest time and thinking of dropping on a 32gb lte to get the free sweet 200mb. From the sound of everyone updating from the 3 and 4 I should be in for a real treat?

Any keyboard cases for air come out yet?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

At tmobile store right now. Apparently cannot get both the 24 month 0 interest and the 200mb if you do not already have a voice line. Just read an internal thing they posted. Not a huge deal for me, I will just pay for it all upfront but could be a deal breaker to others.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thinking about this case here for at least the near term until newer cases come out onto the market. Has anyone used the previous versions of it and can give any feedback on them? I'd likely go with the brown or black one. It doesn't need to be great, especially at that price but really don't want something terrible.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

There's a way to get emulators on non-jail broken devices through a website. Someone posted about it in one of the iPhone threads recently.

Care to share here?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

Seems to work. You can only have one installed at a time, and I had to roll back the clock for installation, but after it was done the clock didn't matter.

http://emulatorsforios2.weebly.com/emulator-downloads.html

Thanks for the link, strange as it downloads the emulator and then re-installs everytime I hit the icon.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

mAlfunkti0n posted:

So apparently the new 200MB "free" data plans on T-Mobile aren't quite so free if you're financing via T-Mobile, according to this article :

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/04...-finance-ipads/

I guess someone at CNET discovered this.

"T-Mobile clarified to CNET that new customers who want to take advantage of T-Mobile's no-money-down plan are required to sign up for a $20-a-month plan.

Unlike the On Demand plan, which was simply a fee for staying on T-Mobile's network, the $20 plan does provide for an additional 500MB of data at its 4G LTE speed. The 200MB of data is "free," but doesn't kick in until after you sign up.

Existing T-Mobile customers with a phone plan can access the 200MB of free data without signing up for additional plans. New customers who paid full price for their iPad Air or any other tablet will be able to get the 200MB data plan for free. Or customers can bring in their own T-Mobile-compatible tablets."

I posted about this yesterday as I was in the store and spent two hours trying to get my iPad purchased and online with the 200mb. I showed them the tweet from their CEO saying something like "NO STRINGS, EVERYONE GETS 200MB". I ended up just paying for the whole thing up front and self-financed it but it still took 3 purchases and returns to get it right because they kept loving up the transaction, using the same sim, etc... Was a real mess. They put me off when they said that the news is misleading despite their very clear message that their CEO has said.

Whatever, I have my iPad with 200mb, but can see how this would put off some people.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

hypersleep posted:

Which emulator? Use SiOS if you're not. It's more up to date than SNES4iOS.

I played Super Metroid for a bit and while it runs the game flawlessly, using virtual buttons is a really sub-par experience. Games ported directly to iOS that I've found very playable (GTA 3 and Vice City, for example) change the controls just enough to make for a better experience. I suppose if these emulators support the coming iOS game controllers, the games would be much more playable.

I tried this out on my iPhone 5 last night and shut it down with disgust almost immediately. I found it impossible to play with my fingers over the screen. I see that there's a bluetooth function so I could use it with my iPad but I decided just to drop on a used PSP for emulators and not loving around anymore.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

japtor is a cool dude for posting that Target tradein program promo. 200 bucks for a 3.5 year old iPad is pretty sweet.

Any idea what people are getting for 16 gig wifi iPad 2? Would love to get my son a mini instead of the 2, better size.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You guys aren't paying attention. It's in-store only! Go to Target to get a $200 gift card for your iPad 1, otherwise setting for $60 bucks on their website.

That's why I had the question if anyone had any experience. If its $200 minimum and an iPad 1 qualifies joe would intuit that an iPad 2 should go for a little more!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Just called my local store and talked to a nice young gentleman that may or may not have all the facts. He did say any store that sells contract cell phones are doing the promotions and keep different hours in the store (there until eight tonight but the store is open until ten). He said every model is $200, which is the part I'm unclear on as surely a 3 or 4 would be more. But I'm concerned about a 2. He made it clear it did not have to be used on another iPad. Their iPad minis are $299, where did this $270 number come from? Another stackable promotion I am not aware of?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

https://www.bestskinsever.com makes the best skins, well, ever. I especially like their matte offerings (instead of the typical glossy skins you see) because it doesn't make the iPad look like it's made of shiny, cheap plastic.

How are these on the front screen? I've been a bit of a purist on screen protectors because of the feel of the touch. Really considering this to prevent scuffs and scratches on the next air.

Edit: also, how does the backing improve the slipperiness of it? Does it make it easier to hold on to or worse?

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 11, 2013

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I don't know. I don't use screen protectors.
Better.

Ah, so you are only using the backing. Got it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

porktree posted:

Case talk, because it's always fascinating. I bought the leather case for my Air on day one, then ordered a Roocase Origami a few days later because it was cheap and I got a deal. I only use the Roocase, it's lighter and less intrusive and let's me put my ipad in all kinds (or 3) positions that are more stable than the Apple case. I'm very happpy with the purchase. I had eggs for breakfast.

Thanks for the positive review on this pork, I've been looking for a good case and you may have sealed it right here. What color did you get?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I have the N and never had any issues

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Is there a knock-off of the Smart Cover for the Air 2? I'm looking to keep the profile as slim as possible and just need something that'll give the iPad something to sit upright. The smart cover would be perfect, but not looking at spending $40 on one.

Thanks in advance!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I have a spare one that I’m not using. You can have it for cost of shipping. It’s space grey. PM me your details and I’ll send it out.

It arrived today and it's perfect! Thank you!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

32GB 5th gen (2017) iPads with Wifi only are $249 at Walmart right now. I've been holding out for minis for my three kids (with cellular) but as it's seeming like they are not going to get refreshed any time soon I may have to pull the trigger here. I imagine any iOS device in 2017 will be well supported for many years and not likely to get outdated significantly?

Anyone with kids here have any input on them using the 9.7" instead of the Mini? Any glaring things I should caution against and hold out for the mini? My boys are 6,6, and 10 so not toddlers anymore.

I have two tablet sim cards that are not being put to use on active lines so am thinking of picking up a wifi hotspot and just using that for connectivity on the go for them. Not ideal, but keeping it in the car will hit 90% of the use.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hrmm. Two good opposing opinions.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah that’s a pretty drat good deal and the hotspot idea is the best idea and probably cheaper? Just get them heavy duty rubber cases and you’ll be fine.

I have opinions on giving tablets to kids but I ain’t got kids so you do what you think is best for them.

Thanks for the input. FWIW, aside from doing learning/school work on their current tablets, they get a small amount of tech time. They aren't used as babysitters by us. Not allowed at restaurants or anything that is time that can be used socially with family and friends.

Yes, the hotspot will be cheaper (especially since I've got two tablet lines free through T-mobile) but requires management of a fourth device. Built in is very convenient!

Twerk from Home posted:

The only thing you're missing out on if you're trying completely optimize here because you're buying 3 at once is that the 2017 iPad went on sale for $249 not that long after launch at Costco and such, so it's likely that the 2018 will go on sale for $249 soon as well.

If you want pencil/crayon support 2018 is a big deal.

That would be sweet, but I'm not sure I want to play the game of guessing sales. You very well may be right but we've been struggling with random cheap Android tablets that have been frustrating. The boys are old enough now that a little investment now will be good and likely cheaper as they'll last longer.

That being said, I may grab a 2018 one for myself if they do hit $250!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'll say this, parenting isn't binary. There's no absolutes. Letting a kid have a tablet isn't good or bad. Giving them wifi on the go isn't good or bad. It's the whole picture.

Not sure why this turned into a discussion on the appropriate usage of tablets with children, but it isn't that simple.

Apologies if I misinterpreted the last few messages.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Astro7x posted:

Got the 2017 iPad 32GB in Rose Gold at Target for $217.51. Had them price match Staples and used my Red Card for 5% off.

Great deal. Now to trade in the iPad 2 somewhere.

How'd you get the price down to $217? I'm seeing it at staples for $279. Sitting here with three I picked up yesterday that I can return to Walmart.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Astro7x posted:

https://www.staples.com/iPad-9-7-32...CJPIXEL=CJPIXEL

Was not out of stock earlier when I price matched earlier tonight. Rose Gold only.

$229 at Staples. Price matched at Target and then used Red Card 5% discount

drat, these are going into cases so the color doesn't matter. Would've loved to have saved $150 on this.

e: Through the slickdeals link I found they were available. Nothing locally for Target so just ordered them from Staples for $229. Nice! Thanks for the heads up!

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 26, 2018

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Oops. My math was off. I only paid $249. So only $60 savings.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Rolo posted:

Glad I decided to wait for the iPhone 11

iPhone XS style with iPhone 4 sides would be hot as hell.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

My son has a 2017 iPad, are there any Wacoms that are compatible with it? He's already a really talented artist at seven. His cousin who does it professionally told us that the earlier we can get him used to the Wacom the better off he will be as that's been a huge challenge for her transitioning off of paper.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

japtor posted:

Unless you’re comparing to a Cintiq I’d say iPad and Pencil is better...and even compared to Cintiq it seems like most people still consider the iPad/Pencil to be better.

For the OP, technically Wacom makes styluses for iPad but they suck like any other non Pencil stylus (other than the Logitech Crayon maybe, which uses the same tech but more limited). If his cousin was using those Wacoms maybe that’s why transitioning off paper was so hard :v:

At that age I wonder if there’s also some developmental benefits to the tactile nature and learning/experimenting with different media. Might be part of the difficulty of switching to digital, but also gives knowledge of how the different materials work and how to tweak them to what effect you want, vs blindly screwing around with sliders and hoping it works out. Main annoyance with digital is if/when natural media simulation isn’t what you expect, or just isn’t meant to be natural at all.

But yeah that’s the best part.

Thanks for all of the feedback all, I'm not a creative so have no knowledge in this space. The challenge she had was drawing on the Wacom and it appearing on the screen, so she was suggesting that the earlier he learned that the better. But your points are really dang good about getting all of the fundamentals with real paper first before even worrying about it. She was in her 20s when she transitioned, at my sons rate he'd probably be on these things in his teens with no hiccup.

Wife is scoping Xmas presents and wants to cultivate his artistic talents so this was a nice option, but since there's no good solution for iPad except to buy a new one, that may be out. We already are getting him a bunch of 'analog' art supplies and stuff.

Last year the kid only wanted staples and markers. He doesn't just draw, he 'builds' things with paper. So awesome.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have no idea how old your cousin is, but I feel like her reasoning (getting used to things “appearing on the screen”) is outdated advice that really shows her age/generation. It sounds to me exactly like when my old primary school teachers told me how important cursive (lol) is because it’s going to be how I’ll writing essays (my profs wouldn’t have accepted anything handwritten) and notes (you mean emails?) in the future.

Your cousin means well but think about it: why would your son ever need to plug his drawing tablet into a screen in 10 years when he’s in high school?

Whatever he’s doing/you’re doing with him now seems to be working so just keep doing that :)

She's nearing 30 and it is starting to sound like what you're saying is more about her challenges than broader ones. Neither my wife and I are creative people so it's amazing to watch him develop these skills out of thin air. All he wants to do is ART ART ART and has no interest in Fortnite, Xbox, etc.

japtor posted:

If he has a Switch get him Labo :v: (2 for $99 at Best Buy!)

We do have a Switch, and Labo is on the list. I think this is a fantastic idea. He doesn't play many video games but would love to do that stuff, I'm sure.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

My son left his 5th gen (2017) iPad in a backpack with a game controller and it broke the screen pretty bad. I slapped a tempered glass protector on it for now so he doesn't cut his fingers but I'm going to want to have this screen replaced at some point. Looking at iFixit it looks like a real bitch to do yourself with many ways to gently caress it up so thinking I may outsource this repair. Does anyone have a ballpark on what I can expect for a local place to do it? Apple wants $249 to replace it, which is what I paid for the damned thing so looking at third-party. Any input on people's experience with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

arbybaconator posted:

Honestly, your best bet is to sell it for parts and buy another one, new or used.

Ixian posted:

There have been recent sales where you could get a new 6th gen (32gb) for that price. I imagine you could find a used 5th gen for less than it would cost even 3rd parties to fix it, when the hassle is factored in.

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, I just sold my mother-in-law's ipad 5th gen with a busted screen on eBay for $170 and she upgraded to the 6th gen she grabbed on sale for $250.

Once you factor in the price of a new screen and the fact that the repair is a multi-hour, glue softening ordeal it just didn't make sense to repair it myself.

FCKGW posted:

Walmart has the current iPads starting at $229, cheaper than their Black Friday pricing

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPad-Latest-Model-32GB-Wi-Fi-Space-Gray/876555631

Thanks for the suggestions all. I've been busy and haven't caught up with the thread. I missed the $230 sale by a day (I looked at it last night but didn't decide on this approach until today) but picked one up for $250 plus 5% redcard at Target. Will list the old one on eBay later.

This is perfect because one of my kids is an aspiring artist at 7 (see discussion a few pages back about WACOM's and iPads) and getting him the pencil will be fantastic. So he's getting the new one and the one who broke the other is getting his 2017 iPad.