Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Bisty Q. posted:

• The one weird old tip that your doctor hates, discovered by a mom that will set you apart from anybody else: your resume is a showcase of your accomplishments, not a rehash of your experience. You need to sell, sell, sell how you stood out in every single job.
  • Numbers, metrics, and performance stats are your friend. "Sold over $30,000 worth of widgets to 294 separate accounts during December" vs. "Responsible for the sale of widgets for the Northeastern division" -- which one do you care about? Who cares if the best widget seller sold $1,000,000 worth of widgets? Nobody else knows that!

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on these two points when directly applied to design engineering. It's hard to assign numbers and statistics to accomplishments when your accomplishments are pretty much "designed new product for X assembly" or something like that. Should I still try and find a bullshit way to make it work, or just focus more on implanting all those keywords from the posting into my resume instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

C-Euro posted:

That said I got my current lab job through Aerotek, and they put in the most effort of any recruiter I've spoken to (including coming up with a second match for me after the first didn't pan out, which no other recruiter has done for me). If you're in the Chicago area I can give you contact info for the woman with whom I worked.

Do you think she might be a good contact for someone outside of Chicago who has been trying to relocate there? I've been applying for positions in the city for over a year now, but nothing has panned out and I'm getting desperate for a serious move out of the South.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
So I accidentally sent a "thank you for interviewing me" email without a subject and with one of the sentences magically being a larger font size than the rest. How hosed am I, guys? :byodood:

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Unfortunately, yes.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Come to think of it, that was probably the case. I had been fiddling with the email for much of the day trying to come across very eloquently and professionally, and there was a specific sentence I wanted to make sure I didn't forget, so I had it in the clipboard. It's so great how everything can be going so well through the process until you have to send one simple email and can't get it right... :(

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Yeah, it's possible I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but it's just a little nerve-wracking waiting for some kind of response. I'm just hoping that the message didn't go straight to the spam folder because it included inquiries as to what the time-line is like to hear something back. I'm hoping I get a response so I can just own up to the mistake and apologize for the lack of professional appearance on the email.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Well, it's been almost three days (excluding the weekend). When should I start to worry that my email was ignored for looking like poo poo/potentially sent to spam?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
That's always a possibility, but I did feel like I walked away from a pretty solid interview. I answered each of their questions at length and tried to apply it with a lesson I learned or a mistake it helped me avoid in the future. I feel like they seemed pretty impressed with my answers and they liked my background, and on top of that I seemed to have a really good understanding of the job when they asked me to describe it in my own words.

I think I'm just worrying so much because I really want this job. Especially over what I have now. Career related stuff is just annoying and stressful. :ohdear:

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Re: my thank you email with weird formatting and no subject line

So they got back to me and were able to provide a very rough timeline on when I can expect to hear the outcome of their interviews. Two questions that I was hoping you guys could give some input on:

1. Do I send a "thank you for providing me this info, I look forward to hearing back soon" type of email? I'm thinking yes, but I don't want to be the guy sending a million emails.

2. Do I draw attention to my botched email and apologize for the lack of professional appearance, or just kind of ignore it and pretend it never happened?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Can you possibly provide an imgur link of your resume or something to that effect as well? I'd like to provide some input, but I don't have the Dropbox app on my phone.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Do you have a notable achievements you can list under any of these positions you've held? Something like, "completed X project two months earlier than projected and $Y,000 under budget" or anything to that effect?

In my personal experience, recruiters and interviewers spoke more to the things I had DONE at my job, as opposed to things I had gained experience in or knew how to do. Plus, at the end of the day, hundreds of applicants will probably have a relatively similar skillset to you, but what sets you apart are these achievements and goals you've reached in previous jobs that help prove some of the statements in the final portion of your resume. For example, I think saying you have a long history in problem solving looks much better if you have another bullet under one of your previous positions that kind of helps back it up.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I would leave your skills section mostly untouched. I think it's wise to be upfront about how knowledgeable you are with certain things. If you just list HTML, they can interpret that however they want, but since you say you are competent, they know you get it, but it probably isn't your strongest skill.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Pertplus posted:

Writing cover letters is awful. I would rather break my own arms than write a cover letter. "Hi, random unidentified person. I am pertplus and I'd sure love to work at your company, but you already know that because I'm literally filling out an application to do just that. You know those skills I say I have on my resume? Yeah, I have those. Let's get to the point; I'm an analytically minded cooperative leader with the self-motivation to keep my attention on the details. I know I will be of use to you, because I'm an effective go getter with the skills to communicate my extensive experience in every possible area of business to "the team". I will gladly bid to your every hearts desire with the passion and enthusiasm I know is key to company culture at MEGACORP INTERNATIONAL. I have solid demonstrated interest in utilizing planning skills to strategically increase efficiency and bring new ideas to the table. My conviction in the amazing vision of MEGACORP INTERNATIONAL is so great that I have always dreamed of the day I could finally sit in one of your cubicles. My time on this earth has consisted entirely of experiences which would serve to maximally enhance your team's vision and provide much needed creativity to randomdulltask. In fact, I am already an expert in successfully completing all twenty random tasks you list as a requirement for new hires even though it wouldn't matter anyway because even a dog could learn those things over the course of a week.

I bow down in your almighty presence,
PertPlus
"

This is perfect! Unfortunately, the advertised job opening has been canceled.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Well, after spending the better part of two years trying to move on from my current job (and only getting a few nibbles) and then getting rejected on Friday by what would have been a pretty sweet job, I submit my resume to you guys. Please tear it to shreds, tell me what is bad about it, give me pointers, and all that jazz. I thought I was on top of things, but there has to be something here that company's are seeing and not liking.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

You need specific measurables. Take your first bullet point:

Unfortunately, a lot of the specific, hard numbers are never really shared with me. Production sees those changes and notes them, but never comes back and says "wow, great, thanks for shaving 8 seconds off our cycle time, guys!" Nevertheless, I might be able to work with this advice... How does this here sound?

"Worked as lead engineer to redesign drilling pump valve line for new friction weld manufacturing method. This reduced overall lead time by weeks after obsoleting multiple routers and eliminating unnecessary transit of parts to multiple cross-country locations."

And how is this for point two?

"Coordinated and lead multiple design review meetings to introduce and determine viability of my new product designs. These meetings involved members from production, engineering, sales, marketing, and upper levels of management."

Does it seem like I still need to find more details to add in? I get that I need to be quantitative and prove that I have a real, measurable impact, but I also know that adding too much to each bullet will easily shoot my resume over a page in length.

Dik Hz posted:

It depends on the school. A 3.27 is great from a well-known engineering school like Purdue, VaTech, GaTech, etc. If it was from Whatsamatta U, I'd probably leave it off. As someone who hires entry level ChemEs, I'd view a 3.27 from a good state school as a positive.

It is a major state school. Some random web page listed it in the top 75 nationally for engineering. It's also a school that most people know due to consistent top 25 rankings in sports (I know this doesn't tie in to academics). Do you think that is enough that I should leave the GPA in? I personally feel like it's high enough that it isn't hurting me to leave it on, plus I still see a lot of job postings that will list a GPA requirement.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Thanks for your feedback, guys! I've tried my best to implement as much as I can and I've put together a second draft if you wouldn't mind taking another quick look. I put hard figures where I could, but a lot of these numbers are also pretty rough estimates... is that the kind of thing that'll gently caress me over later on down the line, or is it another one of those "companies expect you to embellish/not be 100% accurate" kind of things I see people post on here about so often?

I'll also be up front in saying that i'm having trouble strengthening a couple of these bullets... for example:

"Communicated with vendors and customers to determine product requirements and supplier capabilities to produce to these specifications." - I'm trying to use this one to convey that I have quite a bit of supplier and customer interaction, so i'm not some anti-social engineer who doesn't know how to talk. However, this also isn't really something that can have any kind of quantifiable value associated with it. Should I axe this, or is there a better way to get this point across?

"Calculated necessary wing strength for projected g-forces and wing loading expected during flight." - Someone recommended I highlight my individual contributions to the design project... this was the most I could remember and there clearly isn't a whole lot of detail tied into it. This was a true team project and not many people had any real individual contributions. Basically, at any given time, five people were around working on the same thing together as opposed to huddled up in corners working on their own deals. Is this something I shouldn't worry about, or should I really try to stress that "YES, I DID DO SOMETHING ON MY OWN HERE THAT CONTRIBUTED?"

Finally, how does the overall format and general appearance look? I had to scale the font down to like size 9 to fit all this on the page, so I'm feeling like I might be hitting the point of things being too hard to read. Does anyone see an issue with the highlighted section? I've seen some people put individual bullets for all of their proficiencies and the software and other junk that they have worked with, but I feel like that is a huge waste of space. Does listing it all out in one bullet hurt me at all?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That said, Word, Excel, PowerPoint are absolutely not worth breaking out into separate items, and probably shouldn't even be on there in the first place.

I have to disagree with this point. While most hiring managers should be able to read this resume and imply I have used Microsoft's office products before, the automated filter system that scans my resume for key words certainly can't and/or won't. If the job ad has office or any of its individual software items listed (which 95% of them do), I'm going to make drat sure I have it listed somewhere on my resume.

EDIT: Never mind, I think I misread your point. Are you saying that when I say "MS Office" that's more than enough to get the point across, or were you saying not to list office at all?

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 11, 2016

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

If you really want to game the taleo or whatever filters, you can always throw your "skills" word salad at the bottom in small but still legible text. (Or put it in white font in really tiny text!)

I'm hesitant to do this, as I've heard that lots of HR departments have wisened up to tactics like these, and I've even seen some people claim that the filtering systems are now able to pick up on tricks like that as well.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

calvus posted:

Don't just put a bucket, find a way to insert it into your resume. Everyone's resume uses "tactics". Even some of the most qualified people won't get picked up if your resume isn't written for the machine. HR doesn't want to bother actually looking at applicants, so its just a matter of understanding how their system works

Exactly, that's why I try and work the key terms in where I can, but for the skills I have that aren't really applicable to any of my "quantitative bullet points," I make sure to list them in the skills section, or at least mention it in my cover letter.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
So a company flew me to their facility for a big fancy conference/interview deals in early May, then subsequently offered me a job which I turned down. With all that out of the way, I sent in my little "here is what I spent out of pocket for you to reimburse" form to them the following week, but now here it is like two months later and I can't get people in HR to respond to my messages asking if they're still processing or if they never received mine. What should I do at this point to get my dough? It's only like thirty bucks or so, but I still don't want to have PAID to interview with a company I didn't end up liking.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

The idea of sending a demand letter for $30 is hilarious to me but I think that is your next step on the continuum of legal actions.

I'm not above doing it either. Everything about their interview and job offer process rubbed me the wrong way and they just keep digging that hole deeper with this stuff. I'll probably take the advice of "keep bugging them" for now, but I'll make the demand if I have to!

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Update on the interview reimbursement:

Didn't have to resort to a demand letter, as I got an email from the company's customer service department asking me to verify my address and information. Seems as if they will mail me a check once they get validation. Overall, it looks like they just took a very long time to process the paperwork, which is OK. However, I'm still peeved that in all my correspondences in which I simply asked "does the paperwork just take a long time to process?" no one could be loving bothered to at least tell me as much. Worst recruiting team ever.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Have any of you every worked with a career transition firm known as Lee, Hecht, Harrison? I was recently laid off and my previous employer is covering three months of their services and it feels like a huge joke. They just sent me their first draft of my resume revision (which I’ve already workshopped and refined via Reddit) and the poo poo they did... how can anyone who writes resumes for a living think that a two page resume is a good idea?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

Now, I mean fine, the process takes as long as it takes, but what the hell, stop with the "giving me a time you'll contact and then don't" bullshit.

Not as bad as the game of “please tell us a good date and time to discuss” and you spend ten emails going back and forth as every date you propose is booked. Just tell me a loving day and time, and if it matters enough, I’ll make myself available.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
What’s the deal with recruiters these days? They seem to only want to talk to me on the phone, despite having extremely limited availability for it due to working on the top floor of an open office... and I always tell them this and that I will be much quicker to respond to an email. It’s always either that, or they text, which I hate doing with ANY sort of professional contact. Why can’t they just drop an email first to gauge interest, or email me as a follow up when I can’t answer the phone? And how come when I finally give in and start texting back, the recruiter immediately decides “nah, I’m done texting?”

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 2, 2018

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
That’s completely asinine though. Why would it even be a problem to have “I have company X with position Y that you might be great for” or “the hiring manager wants to speak with you, does time P, Q, or R work with your schedule?” on record?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Another dumb recruiter question:

Why the gently caress do so many third party recruiters push so hard for a Skype/FaceTime call? Is a simple phone call not enough these days?

Also, I can’t believe I had to explain to one of these guys what the gently caress an intern is.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
The mere notion of a Skype interview for a position ten minutes down the road is just very odd to me though. Like, I can’t help but feel like they’re using the Skype call to screen my appearance for the company or some stupid poo poo like that.

EDIT: Especially since we have already discussed the role, the company, and they’re already in the process of submitting my resume. What the gently caress is the purpose of getting on skype after all that?

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 3, 2018

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Lockback posted:

They are using Skype to screen your appearance for the company. Its (probably) not racial profiling or anything, they don't want to send some edgelord or slob to some company they are trying to build a relationship with.

Any way you cut it, that seems pretty lovely to me. I’m going to just push one more time to hammer out any remaining details over the phone, but if he doesn’t take that I’m probably just going to pass on it. Maybe I’m being overly unreasonable here, but I feel like if my qualifications aren’t more than enough then I don’t want to work with this company.

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 3, 2018

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Wait... could me wearing my MAGA hat and never trimming my neck beard have something to do with why I was laid off?!

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Well I managed to get past it either way with my mAdSkIlLz. Hiring managers liked my resume so much they called me immediately and are already scheduling a face to face. Get hosed weird recruiting firm/Skype interview!

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

In the response he said "if I ever value time with my wife over a paycheck, give them a call.”

Lol what a loving poo poo bird. You’re definitely better off avoiding that place like the plague.

Hey guys, shot in the dark, but does anyone here know how to get a corporate job within the evil empire of Disney? I’m seeing lots of cool job openings there, but I’m pretty sure I don’t stand a chance unless I happen to be Bob Iger’s long-lost illegitimate son.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Yeah suit discrimination does happen. I don't think I've seen it tank someone on it's own but sometimes it comes up in "culture" chats. Especially for the 35 and over set.

I disagree with that bullshit and fight it when I'm in the room but you're smart to follow their guidance.

Yeah, like just because you wear a suit to an interview, which society has trained us to do for decades, that suddenly means you can’t cut loose and also be the kind of guy who wears flip flops to work? If an office discriminates on someone for “over dressing” in a suit, they can go gently caress themselves.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Been interviewing with quite a few places lately... out of them all, I think Company A is the best fit for me. They said they “probably won’t have a decision for at least a couple of weeks.” Well, as of yesterday, it has been a couple of weeks. Is today a good time to ping them and see if any progress has been made? I have a competing offer that is currently being drawn up by Company B, and I can’t imagine they’d want to wait too long for me to make a decision, but that decision is definitely hinging on Company A.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
^^^^

Third party recruiters are the scum of the earth and you shouldn’t trust a word they say.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Lockback posted:

You can always be soft by saying something like "$120k, but that may need to be negotiated up or down depending on benefits and the environment".

This is essentially what I do and it’s worked so far. The I accepted an offer that started negotiations off like this I ended up getting more than what I originally stated, so it’s possible to negotiate up if you leave things somewhat open ended.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I have never been one to include a "summary" or "objective" portion on a resume, but I have recently been trying to go for software jobs which are well outside of my current field. Would it be wise to include a "hey, I'm not a software engineer, but here is my current software experience and why I am trying to be a software engineer" kind of blurb? I was thinking something along these lines:

quote:

OBJECTIVE
[Non-software engineer] engineer with eight years of experience working within cross-functional teams under fast paced deadlines is seeking a transition into a programming oriented role. With consistent utilization of Lean/Six Sigma methodology, a proven track record of bringing in projects under budget, and the personal skills to deal with both internal and external customers, my expertise can be easily leveraged to suit nearly any role. Current applied programming experience includes C, C#, and Python programs that collect and sort web data (utilizing JSON and various APIs), a GUI-driven wave form generator and signal processor, and the beginnings of a real-time strategy video game within the Unity game engine.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Summaries are fine and in this use case make sense. IMO this one is too long and too detailed. I kinda suggest avoid using the word transitioning since you're already fairly along in your engineering career. Maybe like:

OBJECTIVE
Senior mechanical engineer with 8 years of experience seeking programming focused role. Strong track-record of delivering under budget with strict deadlines as part of a cross-functional team. Applied programming experience in C, C#, and Python programs in the domains of signal processing, web scraping and Unity-based game development.

Then, use the rest of your resume to tell the story. 2 pages is fine, but be succinct there too. Something to think about by the way is defense industry roles for "guidance nav & control" or certain "systems engineering" jobs that are really control systems focused. I'm not sure how mathy you are but "GNC" engineers work on some of the dopest poo poo and require you to both write code that performs well AND understand control systems concepts primarily taught to MechEs and EEs. That said, there are also systems engineering jobs that are really requirements jockeying. So be clear on what it is.

Thanks for the advice! That summary is super succinct and way better than what I had, so I shall shamelessly crib from it.

I also appreciate the mention of GNC and systems stuff... I had found a few GNC things in my area that I applied for, but I think for the most part I am fairly over working in defense and would much rather just move on to something different.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Lockback posted:

wtf? I have never in my life heard of anything like this. Was it a recruiter for a professional sports team?

"At 6' 4" with one hell of an arm, you're literally the perfect candidate for this job! What is the role, you ask? Oh, it's a position in contract administration."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Returned a company's call and got a "UH, HELLO?" from their recruiter, introduced myself and before I could even finish explaining that I was returning their cool I'm cut off. "Ok, I'll have to call you back." Why even answer the phone if you're just going to do that? I could have just left you a message...

I take it this is probably red flag number one, right off the bat.