Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Dear Resume/Interview thread:

The OP has not been updated for about 6 years and the original poster is also no longer posting. Does anything need to be updated in the OP by a mod (i.e., me) and/or do you need an entire thread reboot?

Please discuss amongst yourselves and come to a consensus with suggested updates. I don't regularly read this thread to know its vibe or status. If the answer is 'no changes needed' that's perfectly fine. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

The interviewing thread was long ago folded into this one more or less, so the link to it can be removed from the OP. Likewise the LinkedIn thread listed in the OP is long dead, and the youtube link to what was apparently a funny video is dead.

Other than removing the dead link, I think the OP as it exists is fine and don't see any great benefit to starting a new thread.

Arquinsiel posted:

This, and replace the negotiation advice with a link to that thread maybe.

Done and done, thanks. Let me know if there are other fixes needed.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

No. It's going to be a relentless grind forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz246_Pjjkc

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/michaelaarouet/status/1627373618769408001

i laughed

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

This seems like a smart choice with no obvious negative consequences

depends on the community. academia (and a lot of research centric fields) wouldn’t demand a word doc over a pdf.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

teen witch posted:

I think I need someone with actual experience to look at my CV and gut it to shreds to put back together.

How, and where, would I go about doing that? I think someone does that but it’s for resumes…?

CarForumPoster posted:

You can post it ITT, there are several hiring managers.

it should not need to be said, but naturally, nobody should post any PII or anything that could dox you. sanitize the poo poo out of anything posted in this thread please and thanks.

edit: also read the guidelines in OP for things to do before posting a CV or resume

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mustang posted:

And I do actually get several interview/job offers every week, but none in Seattle and all in other states. But Seattle is my home.

finance experience, veterans' preference, and a MBA? cmon mustang, you know that usajobs.gov is calling you. many jobs are even remote!

we have a fed jobs thread in bfc too. then again ignore if working for the govt again would rightfully drive you nuts

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

If thread regulars would like to reboot the thread or rewrite the OP, then please, come to a consensus on the changes needed and let me or baddog know via the pinned feedback thread.

We’re more than happy to help fix outdated OPs via edits or facilitate a complete reboot. Stale OPs help nobody.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mustang posted:

Didn't get the job but "they saw Amazonian attributes" in me and I can interview at Amazon immediately again instead of being blacklisted for 2 years. Said they're going to contact me again next week about other roles.

This has been the worst job search of my life. Current feeling: keep a shitlist of everyone I interact with in this job search and if I ever have the opportunity to gently caress over one of them over in the future, I will relish it.

the thread title thanks you for your service

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mustang posted:

From my perspective, finding a job is an impossible task. Someone could hold a gun to my head and tell me find a job or die, and I guess I would just die. Just doesn't seem possible.

edit: I was consistently a top ranked officer for all of my evaluations, I won case competitions against my peers at business school. But this job search has completely wrecked my confidence.

given your background, would there be some DoD contractor who'd pick you up because they need someone who can handle nonpublic info?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mustang posted:

Had my next interview with Amazon today, went great. It was basically a formality. They were very impressed during the loop interview and they want me on their team, I just didn't get the first role because it involved more advanced modelling and they wanted to find me a better fit.

(words)

congrats on keeping at it and getting through all this. I can't recall any other recent poster going into such detail about their FAMAG/FAANG/whatever-big-tech hiring process. if you have links/tips/etc that should be added to the OP, please post away and a mod will eventually edit stuff in

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

TheWevel posted:

[*] job posting still up in March, re-applied but added a period to my email address and submitted new version of my resume

lmao that a FAANG hiring process can be hacked by not sanitizing inputs for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I knew I got this thread title change right. congrats!