Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
How do you set goals for yourself when job-hunting? Been pretty demoralized about it all lately and need some way to feel like I'm actually accomplishing stuff instead of just spinning my wheels. "Send out X resumes per day/week/etc." seems too basic, but something like "get Y screens or interviews per week/month etc." seems too far out of my own control. I just want to feel like i' m actually doing something as I trudge through this bullshit with no end in sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Eric the Mauve posted:

For me, it's more about a process than a goal. A process is, every day I'm going to spend X amount of time job searching, Y amount of time honing my resume and linkedin and etc., Z amount of time studying or doing some kind of self-enrichment activity, and so forth. I think creating a plan for yourself and then sticking with it day to day is more effective than just having a goal but no purposeful road map to get there.

That's what works for me. Everyone is different.

e: And also try really hard to find some kind of social activity to engage in regularly, at least once or twice a week, because networking isn't everything, it's the only thing.

No I think this is sound advice. The times when I've been more active about job-hunting I've followed some rudimentary schedule of "do X minutes of work towards getting your next job a day", even if it's just a few minutes a day. I do have regularly-occurring social events, but they're rarely specific to job hunting. I do get little bits of that here and there though.

I just need to figure out what I actually want to do with my life, because that's a question I cannot answer and it terrifies me that I can't answer it. I have some weird self-loathing when it comes to career work and I don't really know how to get over it :v: it's why I struggle to network as much as I could or should, I hate talking about myself.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 15, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
An email I just got about an interview: "You have excellent experience. "

The very next sentence: "the hiring manager does not believe you have the industry experience necessary to be successful in this position"

Does this come across as satirical to anyone else or am I just overreacting?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dante Logos posted:

Just means that they found someone else that they like better and this is their idea of letting you down gently.

I think Kafkaesque describes job hunting to me.

Oh I knew the second I finished the interview that I wasn't getting the job, it's just that those two statements look kind of weird next to each other.

I don't know, every time I get turned down after an interview it's a coin flip whether my first reaction is "I'll never be qualified for anything else" or "you know, my current job isn't so bad when you think about", and I don't know which is worse.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Where does everyone go to do a phone interview during the workday? I've been going out to my car to do them but it's too drat hot now, and since I don't have my own office I'm wondering if "do them in the cafeteria and dare anyone to eavesdrop/snitch" is my best bet.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've had a few phone interviews with a company over the past week-ish and they not only want me to come in for an interview next week, the HR person made it sound like they've already decided that they want me :toot: Still need to stick the landing on this in-person visit though. Salary also hasn't come up at all in the process, other than a hastily-scribbled number in my interview notes that I'm pretty sure I just looked up online but can't find the source. It's high though, so fingers crossed that I get an offer with that number!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I have an interview scheduled for next week in an office outside of the city where I live. If I end up accepting a role there, I would likely commute there and back by train as it's in a really bad area for driving. However, I don't actually know how feasible that plan is. Would it be weird if, during my interview, I asked to speak with someone in that office who commutes this way? I feel like that's a crazy thing to ask without an offer in hand, but my interest in the role hinges somewhat on the prospect of not having to drive there and back.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I just worry that asking it before getting an offer might come across as jumping the gun or assuming that I'm a lock for the position. But yeah I've figured out the train that I would have to take and it's mostly about determining whether or not it's reliable, because everyone I know around here who drives in that direction says it's absolute hell during rush hour. If I can't reliably take the train to and from that office then I become way less interested in the role.

E: I'm going to ask about it either way, the question is just whether or not I try to talk to somebody when I'm on-site next week, or if I wait to hear an offer and then bring it up.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 16, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I might just wait to bring it up during my in-person then instead of trying to get them to schedule someone else. The majority of the people I'm talking to don't actually operate out of that site but I'm sure if I mention it someone will point me towards someone to talk to.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Sorry JIZZ :( Maybe their plans for the position got messed up by that one's guy departure, they could have easily tabled it for another time once they've settled down.

If the position means that much to you I'd keep an eye on that company and their job postings. When my wife interviewed for her postdoc she originally didn't get the job, then four months later she noticed that the exact same listing went back up online so she reached out directly to the professor in charge of the role. Apparently the person they initially hired had to suddenly resign for family reasons and the prof gave my wife the job after one or two more phone calls because he still remembered her earlier interview. Weird poo poo happens and the hiring process as a whole is terribly unscientific.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i don't think making the hiring process more scientific is necessarily a good thing. this is how you end up with dumb keyword requirements.

Maybe "random" is a better description, but I mean that all sorts of stuff can derail or reroute the filling of a given position, and companies can and will change their hiring requirements on the fly. The job I'm starting in a couple of weeks was originally going to be based out of LA, and I applied for a different job at the company and they said "we think you're really qualified for this other role, so much so that we're willing to move it to PA where you live".

If you assume that every job application rejection is entirely your fault, then you're going to be really miserable and have a hard time staying motivated in your search (or worse, sell yourself short in terms of where you apply).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm sure this is dependent on a few things, but is it rude or unprofessional to give notice over the phone? My new job has confirmed that my background check and everything went through so I am OK to give notice at my current job. Only problem is that I feel like I should give notice in person and my boss won't be on-site until Thursday, and my future employer and I are trying to get me in on the 16th which would give me at most a week and a half exit window at my current job. I could call my boss (I have his cell #) but that seems unsporting, especially when the immediate conversation from giving notice is "how do we pass on what you know before you bounce?".

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Called him and he didn't pick up. Would it be unsporting to give notice via text message? :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thanks, I know it's a little silly to ask but I haven't quit a job in four years and last time I did was because I was moving, so I was out by a certain date no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
lol today a friend of mine was interviewing for a promotion at the national financial institution where he works, and apparently the interviewer opened with "I was shocked to see you apply for this role"

Yes he's already applied to a bunch of places outside of his current employer, don't worry.