Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I have my first legit interview in 8 years coming up. What's are some good tips besides what's in the OP? It will be virtual if it matters

Graduating with a PhD chemistry and trying to switch subfields entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I already did a test chat, but another one cant hurt especially since I wasn't paying attention to camera angle and such. Microsoft Teams lol

I'm planning on doing the interview from the office, so backgrounds and whatever shouldn't be a problem there. There is a notable lag on the video side, I should probably look into that

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Magnetic North posted:

Please forgive the Twitter X post, but I someone shared this on Discord:

https://twitter.com/roshanpatei/status/1719030157229326662

If the job requires a physical, VO2 might not be the worst thing to put on there?

Sperm count lol

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

So I applied for a job, had a talk with a recruiter person, and then got ghosted. However, I saw that the exact same job has been reposted a few days ago. Is it kosher to reapply for the job again?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I know the OP says don't mention MS office in your resume, but if the job advert specifically mentions MS Office is it then fine to include as another checkbox for the filter?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Many jobs I’ve been looking at list that six sigma certification is beneficial toward getting the job.

I have extensive experience with participating in and running lean/six sigma/CI/etc projects but my workplace (intentionally I think) doesn’t try to get anyone certified in anything.

I’ve been poking around and I see that there are college courses you can take online for six sigma and/or lean certification. I also see there are “self paced” places where you can go and study then take a test to get certification.

Financially, not to mention in terms of time, doing the college route is close to a non-starter for me. Would I be helping myself if I did one of the self study things so I can check the box that I’m “six sigma certified” or do companies not value that? The one that I’m looking at is six sigma council . org

I'm applying for chemistry-related jobs and a couple of them list six sigma as a preferred cert. Me, emerging from my PhD rabbit hole, is like, wtf is six sigma?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Arquinsiel posted:

I think a lot of recruiters want to get stuff moving before the end of the year so they hit that next target and get a bigger bonus or whatever. Some of it will be real leads, others will be fluff to pad numbers.

Someone should tell this to people at all the companies I've applied to

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I just enter my graduate GPA as a I remember it (4.0) unlike undergrad, and hopefully sucker some poor HR crony who doesn't realize graduate GPA is more meaningless than usual

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Cover letters are bullshit

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Since my outstanding interviews are winding down, before i start applying for more jobs, I'd like some feedback from Resumes pros

https://imgur.com/a/Bdw9aJI

Most of jobs I'm sniffing around are research-based, so I have toot my own academic achievements since actual industry experience is not extensive

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

The job I was most optimistic about came down to me and one other guy and the job went to the other guy :suicide:

On the bright side, it means I don't have to move to Bumfuck, Alabama anymore

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

CarForumPoster posted:

Thoughts:
- It seems a little disorganized.

You sound like my PhD advisor

quote:

- CVs and academic resumes don't follow the same rules as generic resumes for typical ICs. If you're a real-deal Ph.D. you should list your academic achievements, particularly early in your career. Conference papers, patents, journal articles, industry speaking, etc. Theres a certain pomp that benefits you when you're a PhD, it fulfills the mental model of a "real PhD" that many have.

I tried to base my resume off what is in the chemical society career guide (https://imgur.com/a/SwJBnCX) and used a similar type of format. I'll think about moving papers and such earlier in the document

quote:

- I'd suggest putting your Bachelors and PhD together so someone can, at a glance, see you have both and what theyre in. Remove the bachelor's bullet, put it above PhD.

Really? Every resume I've seen, academia or industry, always has the newest education listed first

quote:

- Your publications and presentations section seems a little light. You completed a PhD and only made your work known three times? Include your dissertation.

I do have additional pubs/presentations, but because this is not a CV, previous advice I got was just to only list a couple that are the most relevant/most proud of

quote:

- Maybe in your PhD, have a one line bullet that explains to HR people (or your mom) what you research was and the applications of it. This might help recruiters know if you're a "perfect fit" versus a good fit.
- Reread the whole thing and ask yourself after each paragraph, how can I say the same thing in fewer words?

checks out

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

So I applied for a job and got an email from an HR person an hour later asking for times to schedule a phone chat. I replied and have been ghosted since. Should I send a follow-up message in case the first reply went to junk mail or something?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Lockback posted:

When did you first reply?

This was all on Monday

Maybe the person is busy idk, but it seems unusual to reach out almost immediately but not find 5 mins to check a schedule

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Just got a rejection from a job I applied to in October after months of nothing

:toot:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

If you can apply for a job directly through Indeed (or similar website) and also directly on the company website, what is the better option? One? Both? Does it even matter?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

On some applications, there is a question "Do you have a Masters in X, y/n?" I don't, but I do have a Ph.D. in X instead. What should I answer? The technical answer is No and lying is never great, but PhD is a yes for the spirit of the question.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Alright, I hit yes then

Thanks all

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Company guy: "Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. If you're still interested, I'll have my assistant schedule an interview"

Me: "Sounds great"

Assistant: ...

This all happened on MLK day so maybe the assistant didn't get something, but how long until I should go bug the first guy again?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

What if the previous employer deserves to be badmouthed

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Interviewer: describe a situation where you felt unsafe

Me: last company had Big Boss tell people to not call 911 when the roof was on fire

I mean, they asked for it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

bort posted:

There is also no idea how to discern if the feedback you're given has anything to do with the decision or not. Even if it's true, they're not likely to say, "you were competing with an internal candidate and we needed a patsy for the process, sucks to be you." That kind of thing happens all the time.

Why even list the job if it's just going to be an internal hire? If it's gov'ment, they kinda have to, but some random corp going trying to find a patsy seems like a waste of time for everyone.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Company guy: "Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. If you're still interested, I'll have my assistant schedule an interview"

Me: "Sounds great"

Assistant: ...

This all happened on MLK day so maybe the assistant didn't get something, but how long until I should go bug the first guy again?

Its been a week and still have not heard from this Assistant person. I did get an automated? email the other day from the company asking for supplemental application info so maybe that has something to do with it. Still wondering if I should bug the first guy I talked to again.

On the flip side,

This was all on Monday

Maybe the person is busy idk, but it seems unusual to reach out almost immediately but not find 5 mins to check a schedule

This person never got back to me but I just did get an actual interview request for this company, no HR screen required? :toot:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Rejections keep racking up :toot: One was from a place I made to an interview with a VP with and the other was a "thanks for applying, you were never considered" type thing. And yet, based on my background, I felt like the first place was a bit of a reach and the latter was the better match. Oh well

Two interviews next week, so keep on plugging away I guess

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I got 3 rejections in a 2 hours span today

loving rules

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

what's interview speak for "some morons set the roof on fire and management told everybody (including people at the company next door) to not call the fire department?"

Hotel Kpro posted:

There’s so many levels of lovely when job hunting. There’s places you never hear back from, there’s places you talk to a recruiter then get ghosted, there’s places that give you a two hour interview with 4 teams then ghost you afterwards (thanks Maxar), and finally there’s places that give you an offer but it’s a lowball and they won’t budge (thanks Lockheed). I’m sure there’s even more levels I haven’t encountered but holy hell it saps your will to keep going

I had an interview with a National Lab two weeks ago and haven't heard back yet. This place was extremely slow in the rest of the process so maybe they're still taking their sweet time, but my optimisms drops every day. Then again, I hope a NL has enough respect to not ghost people

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 1, 2024

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Just applied for a job that a basically a match for my PhD research. Not too many of that type, so god I hope this one pans out.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Suppose that's an improvement on being constantly rejected because my experience isn't specialized enough

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

If a company wants a writing sample as part of an application, is submitting my dissertation too much?

:haw:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I interviewed for my first choice a month ago and have not heard anything back. Is it worth sending an email to see if I have been ghosted or if they're just the slowest employer on the planet?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I interviewed for my first choice a month ago and have not heard anything back. Is it worth sending an email to see if I have been ghosted or if they're just the slowest employer on the planet?

I remembered there was an applicant portal for this place, logged in, and say the dreaded "not retained."

:suicide:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

This place was my first choice not only because I like the company in general but also because the job add description was a mostly 1:1 match for my PhD research, which is not super common

gently caress

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I have a 3 hr big boy interview later this week

:ohdear:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Figured I might send a post-interview thank you note for once. Anything in particular that should go in one?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

job that seems cool posted:

please be ready to provide contact information for 5 professional references (including 2 professors or supervisors). If you are identified as a finalist for this role, you will be asked to invite your references to complete a SkillSurvey questionnaire on your behalf. SkillSurvey is an online reference check solution.

this is the most overkill thing I've seen in a while

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

In the middle of interviewing at one place, I got a message from another place that says they want to discuss an actual job offer

Hooray :confuoot:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

In the middle of interviewing at one place, I got a message from another place that says they want to discuss an actual job offer

Hooray :confuoot:

I have now a solid job offer, contingent on the company being awarded a government contract :ohdear:

But someone wants to hire me :toot:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

CarForumPoster posted:

congrats!

but oh boy that is a big contingency, keep looking

its better than what lockmart and friends do which is hire you, put you on ice to do training videos, the fire you when they dont win the contract

but they might not win it, so keep applying

They mentioned in the offer they won't know the status of the contract for a couple more months, so it's a potentially long time of me sitting on my rear end or a massive kick in the balls. The other contingency is passing a security clearance, but I'm the most boring person in the world so that shouldn't be too bad.

The interview process made it seem like the contract was already in hand, or maybe I misunderstood something. I dunno. Got a lot of thinking to do

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

This particular job is regular secret and the company said they will work on the clearance process during the downtime, so I don't think I'm going to get a bait and switched with another person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

So what's the polite way of telling Company A I have a legit offer from Company B and it would be really nice if Comp A made a decision soon