Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Transmogrifier posted:

When it comes to listing skills and your proficiency in them, how do you suggest discussing that? I'm going to be applying for web design/development jobs and I'm curious as to how to in depth I should be going. Does the standard "beginner, intermediate, advanced" listing work here, or should I lump my experiences into a single category? I have an old resume from when I was in Career Development (last year and they still push the Objectives on the resume thing) where I listed my Web Design related experience and simply listed what languages and programs I was familiar with without citing my actual skill level in them. Is it also better to list the individual programs, such as Adobe, or to, again, stick them in a lump to conserve space on a resume?

Edit: Also you talk about not adding additional fluff to a resume, but one thing I know that has been encouraged in the designer world is trying to add a bit of design fluff to your resume to help you stand out. Not necessarily anything bold and distracting, but certainly stepping out of the norm of what are considered standard resumes. They also encourage the use of infographs. Would any people out there who have experience be willing to chime in about that?

Make it attractive and a reflection of your high aesthetics but don't go other the top. I've seen some overly designed resumes that were pretty but didn't help. I've seen some butt ugly ones that hurt the applicants chances. A tasteful one with some extra design pizzazz is probably the best balance. But then I did hire one guy with the ugliest drat resume imaginable (not for a design job) and he worked out amazingly well. Wish I could post some examples but, of course, that would be a terrible idea.

(Also, one thing I've noticed: For those applying for jobs through contractor agencies, sometimes the agency will just copy all the text off yours and paste it into a generic template that has their contact info instead of yours. If you're applying through an agency you might want to ask them if they're doing that before you get crazy with the design elements and waste your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Bisty Q. posted:

If technology is not the company's main product, you should use the standard techniques. Only if you are applying to a company anyone off the street would classify as "a tech company" would the exception kick in.

I didn't want to jump in here because I'm not an expert but this lines up with what I was thinking. If it's not a tech company and you're applying through the usual HR channels then you're lucky if the HR screener folks even know anything about the company's main business, let alone peripheral support departments.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Some companies have predetermined grade scales with very little wiggle room. If you can't get the money you want you can try to get more PTO or something like that instead.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I've seen people get an extra week of vacay. I haven't seen much success on the salary front. That said, I've seen people settle for lower salaries than they wanted and then get a sizeable adjustment 6 months later but you can hardly count on that happening.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I'm adapting my US-style resume into a UK-style CV. I've added more employment history and have swapped out responsibilities with achievements wherever possible. I've read conflicting things about introductory statements and the like. Should I have one? Also, my formatting is very, very simple: Times New Roman text, no visual elements beyond text. I'm not a graphic designer (although I work in a graphical field). Should I bother doing some sort of gussied-up layout? If I put things in boxes I could put awards/achievements in a sidebar or something that would move its positioning up, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. I'll break out InDesign and play around I guess.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Also, what are the thoughts on adding a "leadership" or soft skills section to your list of skills? If you're applying for leadership type jobs just listing which adobe programs you're proficient in doesn't seem adequate.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Bisty Q. posted:

Why do you have a list of skills in the first place? Every hiring manager knows that section is "things I've ever heard of or maybe one time thought about doing."

You can't tell leadership, you have to show it through your accomplishments and summary.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I've built the rest of the thing around actual, results-driven achievements, so it should be evident elsewhere. I came across a few samples of people with soft skills-based skill sections and wondered if that was a thing. It feels like padding.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

corkskroo posted:

I'm adapting my US-style resume into a UK-style CV. I've added more employment history and have swapped out responsibilities with achievements wherever possible. I've read conflicting things about introductory statements and the like. Should I have one? Also, my formatting is very, very simple: Times New Roman text, no visual elements beyond text. I'm not a graphic designer (although I work in a graphical field). Should I bother doing some sort of gussied-up layout? If I put things in boxes I could put awards/achievements in a sidebar or something that would move its positioning up, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. I'll break out InDesign and play around I guess.

Sorry, just reposting this because I'm not not sure about the UK component. Personal statement? Yea or nay?

(And I have gone full on InDesign at this point. Because, you know, why not.)

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Man I don't even remember my GPA at this point.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

I have an interview on Monday for a teaching position in a language academy. I think I can anticipate the questions and have the answers for them, except for one: "why did you leave your previous position?"

Truth is, my boss wanted someone with more experience and I'm not sure if I can convey it in a way that won't make me look green or incompetent - I have ben teaching for 2 years now.

You were already there as an employee and your boss retroactively decided that they wanted someone with more experience? Maybe the way to approach this is to talk about the limited career advancement opportunities there. I mean, it certainly sounds from that brief description like they weren't interested in cultivating your career and level of experience.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

How strict is the criteria in the OP for a cover letter? I'm writing one now, and the job posting is on Craigslist and doesn't list the company name or website. Should I just skip the sentence about being excited to work there, or put something like "I'm excited about this position because I want to expand my knowledge and skill base." or something?

Sounds very reasonable.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but UK CVs:

2 pages max?
Include references with contact info?
Leave out interests section?
No personal statement?

I just heard these and I feel like they contradict other things I've read.

Also, with CVs is it ok to play creative with the formatting when applying to a creative/design job?

Oh,and A4 paper, right?

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Pianist On Strike posted:

If I got a short-term contract job with company A through staffing agency B, and am being paid by/getting benefits from agency B, who am I technically employed by? And which one should I put on my resume? I asked someone about this and they said I should put the staffing agency, because they're paying me and it'll look bad/weird when my contract is up and I leave company A. My reasoning is that since I'm getting all my relevant experience through company A and will use it for references, that's what I should list on my resume.

List the company where you're actually doing the work (B) since that's the relevant experience. If you want to note that it's a contract (so some idiot doesn't call their HR dept and think you're lying when you turn out to not be on their rolls) then go ahead. But you work there even if you don't "work" there.

If the agency ends up sending you on a bunch of short term contracts then you might want to roll them up into one section with the agency as the employer.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Thanks. That gives me some reinforcement for what I went with. Late in the game I cut down to 2 pages and got rid of some stuff and then in the 11th hour I completely redesigned the cv to be cleaner and simpler but still subtly show that I know how to design on a grid and use fonts smartly. A non-designer probably won't even notice that it's an InDesign cv and not a Word one but a design person will know. And it links out to my fully responsive portfolio. I feel really good about it and have submitted it to a couple of opportunities. Interviews forthcoming... Wish me luck.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

You may want to take that resume to the resume thread. There's some basic editing (too much verbiage on the left) and re-formatting that you should do (is it landscape orientation? Never seen that before...)

Beyond that I have a feeling that a lot of us share your core concern: Your best asset is YOU and your thought process, not the specific certifications, positions or degrees that you have. The challenge, as you say, is describing what you've done so that it helps people understand how you did it and how you could apply that to their company. A good resume crit will help with that.

As for your side business, the main concern they might have is that it not interfere with your work for an employer. They will want 100% focus on their work while your in their house and you'll need to make sure they're confident that you'll be able to give them that. But depending on how you word it you should be able to convey what you want about your personal business: That it illustrates your motivation and problem-solving skills.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

Is there a different resume thread?

derp getting my threads confused early in the morning. There's another interview thread but this is the main resume thread. The rest of my thoughts still make sense I think.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

lol internet. posted:

Anyways, do employers use multiple recruiters to find them a candidate?

Yes.

Anyway, I'm interviewing for an exciting internal opportunity later this week... Pretty excited. A lot of info from these career threads has helped. Thanks folks!

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

lol internet. posted:

I've been pretty much against contract work but after being contacted for a contract job by a recruiter today and thinking about it, I'd be able to make more money in six months than what I make in 1 year at my previous job or next job. Going to try to get the contract position for fun because no one hires in December anyways. You should tell your friend that.

Nothing at all wrong with contract work. It can be lucrative, it can lead to other things, etc... It's a definite good option.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Stavrogin posted:

Any advice on dressing for Construction jobs? Not quite grunt work, not quite construction management- pretty much a working supervisor. Hell, it's a Habitat for Humanity job. I actually held the same position for another Habitat chapter, which I'm sure will work in my favor- but it's a tricky thing for the interview. A suit would be too formal, and obviously, though I'll be wearing jeans and a Carhartt every day to work in, I wouldn't wear that at an interview. Nice jeans, collared shirt, blazer? Any thoughts?

Go with nice pants (khakis) over jeans, and a nice shirt. If you have a jacket that you like I'd wear that too. That's the comparable equivalent of going full suit-and-tie for an interview at n office where they do business casual. I think it's good to look a couple of steps nicer than the day-to-day. Shows you take it seriously. But in your case a tie would probably be too far.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Don't over think it. The PDF didn't work because the recruiting office is probably staffed by people who don't know how to use the computer.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

At this time of year no decisions are getting made. Jan 6 would be a good idea, although if you want to try for an update on the 2nd I don't think there would be anything wrong with that either.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

deptstoremook posted:

Absolutely, and with pretty competitive numbers for my sector.

Assuming you mean salary numbers, I don't think anyone hires a Director type position by looking for a bargain. Yeah, the achievements you talk about need to make them say "hell, we want him to do that for US!"

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Iron Lung posted:

Thanks. I know they had a range in mind but it's a bit lower than I'd like, lower than my starting pay at my last big job so I was hoping for more. Think its worth asking at all if they offer or should I just go with it and ask for a raise at six months etc?

Read the negotiation thread. Even after stating a range you can do the dance once they make an offer.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Just get your.name@gmail.com
Unless your name is Bob Smith.

To clarify, don't use your work email to apply for other jobs. That's weird. Plus it tells your prospective employers "I gently caress around at work."

corkskroo fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 22, 2014

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Agreed. I think responding during business hours with the times that you're available to talk is totally fine. Step outside to take a call or do what you have to do. But doing it from your work email address is weird or at least tacky. This may seem like splitting hairs but somehow it doesn't feel right, and I've been a hiring manager many times. Of course I also overthink things sometimes.

corkskroo fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 22, 2014

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I've witnessed some "screwing with them" interviews but it was only when the applicant was wildly unqualified and the interview was amusing himself, and even then it was more on the line of making them explain really shoddy and obviously poor work in detail to the point of absurdity, not blatantly insulting them. Your experience does sound like a red flag of a crappy work environment.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Susical posted:

Anyone have any insight on this?

Are you definitely leaving? Like with or without a job? You could talk with your boss about it in advance. Just because 2 weeks is standard doesn't mean you have to stick to that, especially if you're leaving the area and not jumping across the street because a competitor threw you 10% more money.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

the posted:

Is it bad to apply to a job at like 2am?

Depends on who will receive it, I suppose. If it's going through layers of bureaucracy before it gets to anyone who will actually evaluate it probably makes no difference. But why not just get up early and complete it at a more normal time, just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Should be fine.