Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Saith posted:

Semi-related to the thread, but some of my friends want me to GM a game for them set in the Worm-verse at some point. I'm kind of at a loss as to what system I could use, though. Any thoughts?

I'm at the point where I'm trying to convince my friends to do this with me as GM. I cobbled together a relatively my own pretty simple system vaguely based on Warrior, Rogue and Mage. Mostly so I can just use normal dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Besides, you know, Cauldron cheats.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Neurosis posted:

It always seemed like it would be far less trouble to kill Flechette than to avoid her projectiles. Dropping the ball, Scion.

Well, Scion is mentioned rather frequently to be a total idiot. I think most characters notice he could have just evaporated the continent they were standing on and be done with it. He doesn't fight to win though, he just fights. Also, strategy was probably the realm of the Thinker Worm.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

Another interesting point to consider: Khun Sa could probably have pulled off the Khephri thing if he'd gotten access to Doormaker and Clairvoyant. Then again, it's possible that only someone with Taylor's multitasking power could have done it.

A part of Taylor's power is her superpowered multitasking. No standard-human mind could have coordinated thousands of bodies at the same time.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Pavlov posted:

On a different note: Did Worm ever give a definitive answer for where the Endbringers came from? I know Tattletale gave a few ideas, but I don't remember it being settled for certain. Did I miss something?

It is strongly hinted, though never explicitly confirmed that they are subconscious creations by Eidolon/David as he needed bigger threats to 'proof' his worth or provide him with a proper challenge. Personally I read Eidolon as being rather insecure and the Endbringers being there to proof he is needed as opposed to the second option, although I can accept Worm characters thinking that the second is the correct one.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

veekie posted:

A little of All Of The Above I think:
Eidolon's shard gives him powers that it thinks he needs, it's apparently pretty good at that given the final battle.

Huh, I read it as that Eidolon essentially has Eden's 'main' shard of access to multiple powers, essentially the same one that allows Scion to cycle and use different abilities. The reason why he could beat Scion (until the Path-To-Victory power kicks in) is because as a human he can get creative with the abilities.

By the way where did the name Eden come from anyway? I don't remember reading it at all.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I should probably reread the last few arcs as I binged through them quite fast and obviously missed up on a bunch of details.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I just read the last few chapters of Worm (the Scion fight) again and I just noticed that due to her powers, Contessa probably has no idea what 'conversation' she is having with Taylor/Khepri at the end. Completely did not consider that when I first read it. Worm just has such awesome little things like that.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

big sperma shot posted:

What do you mean?

Taylor can't communicate due to her brain getting mangled, we see her being unable to both speak and understand anything, even social clues break down in the end. When Contessa speaks to Taylor before double-tapping her, Contessa must have used her power to path something along the lines of 'nonlethal option to permanently disable Khepri'. We know that Contessa does not necessarily know what she is doing or why it works, she just follows the steps her power gives her to a tee. I'm also pretty sure that the steps she gets are not necessarily the most efficient ones, just a path to victory. Apparently the bullets and the conversation is what is needed to both disable Khepri and convince Taylor this is the right decision. The alternative would be that Contessa can magically understand Khepri, for which we have no reason to believe this is the case.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Contessa can use PTV to speak languages she doesn't know (we see it happen onscreen), soo...

Yeah that is kind of exactly my point? She can use PTV to speak win arguments in languages she doesn't speak without knowing what she is saying. And I know that it cheapens Contessa's final speech. Though on the other hand it would be very in-character for her to rely on PTV and I could see it being what Khepri needs to hear to calm down into Taylor again.

Though yeah, she could have PTVed a device that lets her communicate or something. Though we haven't seen her tinkering before, there's no real reason why she wouldn't be able to.

Namarrgon fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 5, 2014

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Tunicate posted:

It feeds her the necessary knowledge to understand what she's saying. We see it in the Contessa interlude.

Huh, you're right. She can will to understand what others are saying and the knowledge pops in her mind. Similarly she can chose not to phrase her PTV as 'I want to win this argument' but more specifically 'I want to say X' essentially giving her omnilingualism. Presumably she gets good enough at reading her super-walkthrough to know what she was saying and still doing PTV-conversations at the same time by the time Worm takes place.

So she is even more overpowered!

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Just re-read the first Cauldron Superpower Summit; Moord Nag is a Teacher thrall! (Worm)

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Affi posted:

Hmm? How come?

Teacher gave her the ability to understand English. We later learn through Khepri that Teacher always is able to control anyone he powered, even if he said he didn't. There's also a small hint in that chapter where Moord Nag really doesn't want to help fight Khonsu but changes her mind after a Teacher argument.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I'm pretty sure she does. After Khepri almost stroke-kills her. She was part of a poll for most popular epilogue characters, so I assume so. Teacher did say he had a plan.

e.Though, in the second summit Moord Nag has an interpreter, so it is possible she managed to shake off the effects. Or a Wildbow retcon.

I am re-reading Worm as a preparation for a pen-and-paper RPG and reading it again you find all kind of nice tidbits and foreshadowings.

Namarrgon fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 8, 2014

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Cryophage posted:

“I gave you the ability to understand and speak English,” a man in the group of twelve said. “It wouldn’t cost you anything to use it.”

“Ek sal nie jou tong gebruik nie, vullis,” the woman replied, her voice still quiet, though it was flecked with anger, just a bit of an edge.

The man sighed, “Well, I could use my power on everyone else here, but somehow I don’t think the offer would be accepted.”

I don't think his thralls need to actually use his powers to get under his spell, although that would certainly be more awesome story wise.

Cryophage posted:

I'm currently running a Parahumans campaign myself and I'm finding it slow going creating new powersets for NPCs. Would you be willing to compare notes?

I'm planning to run them through the main story, more or less in the place of the Travellers, including the just-play-yourself-and-I'll-handle-the-rest and drop them off in the middle of the Simurgh attack while they know nothing about capes. So far I don't think I've transcribed and gave stats to all the existing parahumans and I don't foresee myself needing more in the future. However, the few extra ones I put in are mostly just ripped from other stories; fantasy and scifi. Also random generators for powers and personalities from google are wonderful things.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Generally, existing characters are better for coming up with a concept rather than a full fledged power. Iron Man -> tinker with a tendency for power armor. Slap on a new name, rip an image from some deviantart page and run a random personality generator. The Fantastic Four make pretty good villains too if you just take their abilities to their raw levels; a brute, a mover/blaster and a stranger/shaker and make up something new for the stretchy guy because he sucks. Again, change their costumes, personalities and motivations and there you go.

e. Or say, take this guy I got through clicking a random name in the Avengers list; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunspot_(comics)

Pretty standard superpowers which make him a bit lovely for Worm, so get him to his bare bones; interaction with sunlight. Concussive blasts are a bit overplayed, so say he can make constructs out of sunlight that slowly fade in the shadow. How powerful he is in practice depends on creativity and intelligence.

Namarrgon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 8, 2014

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I always could use more characters for them to get attached to and then kill off in Endbringer events. I don't think the Pact readers here would much appreciate it though.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Coil would only have given up Dinah if Alexandria pried her from his dead hands. It just works so well with his power I think anyone would be tempted to keep her. The time skip is pretty bad though and the Wards-part was my least favourite bit by far.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Scorpion 3-2 posted:

Instead of becoming Khepri Taylor get's send back in time, well here mind takes over...

A suspiciously common premise.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Error 404 posted:

Just started to read Worm, and as of now I'm at the big fight with Leviathan the Endbringer.

Holy. gently caress.

Golden Rules for Worm; nobody is untouchable and it can always get worse.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Clearly I am a bit of a dumb-dumb because I have no clue what is going on anymore. You need to face your (metaphorical) demons and a way out appears? This place is essentially where some of the more creepy Others (probably Corvidae and Tallowman etc.) chill until they are summoned by practicioners? I can totally buy the Blake/Rose thing being granny's plan though.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I'm ok with it being a spiritual journey, but that doesn't make sense in the context of things; being eaten by a demon. I'm not too concerned though; I have faith in wildbow that it'll all work out.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Personally I prefer longer updates with more time in between. Preferably per scene yes.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

chthonic bell posted:

Fair enough! Thank you for the feedback. :)

Out of interest, is 5k words per twice-weekly update too much?

Whenever Pact updates I find a nice dark warm corner of the house, curl up and start reading so there really is no such thing as 'too long' as far as I'm concerned.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Elyv posted:

How was Blake doing magic if he's really an Other? Was it brought up with Rose at some point and I just forgot?

Do we quite know how this works though? Can Others do 'normal' magic? Faeries use glamours obviously. Goblins can use stealth charms and what's not. Maybe only practitioners can bind things? What really separates 'practitioner' from 'magically powerful other' decisively? Of course rules could be a bit different for vestiges.

He could of course be wrong about his conclusion at the end. Or slightly off mark. We'll see next update probably.

Namarrgon fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 5, 2014

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Also, as power sources go for that little trick, the Barber seems like a logical choice. It even had an affinity with mirrors and reflections right? Coupled with Corvidae (or Corvidae-like) to swap connections around..

On the bright side, I think we can safely say Blake isn't Johannes!

Namarrgon fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 5, 2014

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I wonder if that 'deal' with the Light God is going to bite Blake in the rear end. Either the god answered a small bit of worship/prayer in helping Blake curbstomp Ur or it was an act so minor the god was running on autopilot. In the first case it might not have been a freebie.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Happy Yeti posted:

I don't know, there are worse things to fill up the cracks in your being than a god of light.

If wildbow's style has taught us anything it should be that a god of light is not necessarily a god of good.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I'm pretty sure that the mystery entity (entities?) behind the lawyers; the ones that 'get a stronger foothold' every time a new lawyer comes into the company are going to be bigger pains than the demons. At least I believe these mystery beings were never specified to be demons specifically (YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT LABELS).

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

And here I was dismissing the Drunk as one of the lesser powers.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Tollymain posted:

You don't make a serious bid for Lordship without being formidable somehow :v:

Well, he did fail. Still though, point taken. Just did not expect him to be able to hold his own in combat vs the sphinx.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Rose Spirit posted:

Yeah, I think that's the reason for her apology at the end.

I thought it was because she had no intention on 'stopping' (binding or removal) Molly, despite hinting that was totally what she was gonna do.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I like learning more about the internal magic workings, in this case of diabolists and priests. The mindset is a good explanation of why diabolists are so reviled; not only dealing with demons but they probably have a pretty high likelihood of cracking and giving in. Ironically especially with that many people being wary of them.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

We don't know what the exact deal is with 'his' friends either. Rose's note to herself a while ago would suggest they were never her friends, suggesting Blake may be carved from a real person.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I think the Barber carved theory makes sense. This chapter really solidified that people are paying way more attention to Blake than would make sense if he was 'just' a vestige. Which is awesome.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Pavlov posted:

Anyway, this was another opportunity to ask his friends why they're still with Rose that Blake didn't take. I'm pretty convinced he's simply incapable of taking that kind of action by construction at this point. Notice whenever he's angry he gets the urge to simply 'not think about' Rose. He should be furious at her but instead his anger gets conveniently redirected and he continues trying to help her. I wonder if guessing that he's demonic in origin is a mental block of his as well. He had plenty of time to think about his origins, but never seemed to openly think, 'I wonder if Rose Sr., the preeminent user of demons who created me, might have created me using a demon'.

Not only that, but as soon as he realized he was dealing with Rose and not Conquest-Rose, she immediately became off limits. I think we've seen that Wildbow is good enough that all these shards are not coincidences. I also think Rose her information about Blake might not be so accurate as she thinks. If she did know exactly what he was, she would also know he is 'programmed' to be loyal to her and she would have used him by now, even if it was just for a suicide mission.

NecroMonster posted:

I'm getting pretty suspicious that Blake's belief that he's the fake might be in error.

Well this chapter all but spells out he was created from a real person. He is probably very real, just not very human. Seeing as he still looks at things from a human point of view he might confuse that as becoming less 'real'.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Obviously Rose believes telling Blake about his true nature will give him sufficient power to be a major pain in the rear end and I guess maybe enough to be able to attack her.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Is it me or does it look like the really obvious solution to this problem is Blake himself doing nothing, or even just not declaring war and using the subsequent Alister loss of magic for lying to take him down? Unless, of course, when Rose gives the mark he is compelled to attack. Even then, just not declaring war sounds like enough to be a non-minor lie.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Yeah I figured, but I was more thinking about the definition of declaring war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I'm glad wd saw an adventage to not constantly littering the conversations with 'maybe' and 'you could say'.

• Locked thread