Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer
If we are giving a recommendation, can we post the link to Amazon (or other source)? I'm new here and I want to properly participate. Since this is a new thread, I'm excited to be here. I've gone through hundreds of pages of older threads but here is a fresh opportunity. I've read SF all my life and I have some favorites to suggest and am hoping for new suggestions to add to my library.

So, links - yes or no? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

I read all 3 of Kameron Hurley's Bel Dame books and I really liked them for the world building and the profound violence. They're a little weak on plot but Umayama (the planet) is just mesmerizing (to me).

This author seems to be obscure and I loved his Continuing Time series (4 books) which is cyberpunk/AI driven with a little telepathy and he makes this work very well. I'd say that if you liked Altered Carbon you'd like Moran. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Keys_Moran

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

I presume this book is "fantasy" and I thought characters were well developed and the book is a stand-alone. I wrote the author to ask if this was going to be a series and he gave me a definte maybe :-).

The book is Prophet Of The Ghost Ants by Clark T. Carlton.

quote:

Just as our current society has domesticated animals to sustain ourselves, the human societies of this future have yoked insects to their service. Food, weapons, clothing, art - even the most sacred religious beliefs - are derived from Humankind's profound intertwining with the once-lowly insect world . . . Corrupt elites ruthlessly enforce a rigid caste system over a debased and ignorant populace. Duplicitous clergymen and power-mongering Royalty wage pointless wars for their own glory. Fantasies of a better life, a better world, serve only to torment those who dare to dream. One so cursed is a half-breed slave named Anand, a dung-collector of the midden caste who, against all possibility, rises above hopelessness to lead his people against a genocidal army of men who fight atop fearsome, translucent Ghost Ants.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

One of my favorite authors is Neal Asher who write very far future, very high tech tales set in his partly utopian/partly dystopian future in which AIs pretty much run everything.

The best way to read Asher's books aee in their chronology order rather than their publication dates.

Prador Moon - not his best book but gives you the Polity setting and introduces the Prador, a lobster-like race wit bad tempers.
The Shadow Of The Scorpion - met young Ian Cormac who will later become a cop for the Polity.
Gridlinked - Now Ian Cormac is an adult and he's dealing with the "Seperatists" who aren't very nice.
The Line Of Polity - Ian Cormac book 2.
Brass Man - More Iam Cormac and Mr. Crane, a good AI gone bad
Polity Agent - Ian Cormac book 4
Line War - Ian Cormac book 5
The Technician - A couple of thousand years after Cormac this Polity stand-alone has all sorts of crazy monsters and more character development than usual.
The Skinner - a couple of thousand years later, we go to the planet Spatterjay which is very, very different from any other planet I've been to. This is my favorite Asher book and is still set in the Polity Universe.
The Voyage Of The Sable Keech - Spatterjay book 2 featuring dead but determined "policeman" Sable Keech
Orbus - Some Spatterjay characters are captured by The Prador and have Thralls installed in their brains.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

ed balls balls man posted:

I've only read the Ian Cormac books but I blew threw them in two weeks and really enjoyed them. He has some great ideas when it comes to AIs, Androids and other sci-fi concepts, the universe he builds is a testament to that.

You've missed his (IMHO) best ones - The Technician and the Spatterjay ones. I've read The Skinner twice and by audio once and I only re-read my absolute favorites. Nice to see another Asher fan.

I'll also suggest Gary Gibson and Richard K. Morgan (Altered Carbon and Steel Remains - the other Morgan's not so much). This one, if it ever comes out on Kindle http://www.amazon.com/Gideons-Fall-Don%C2%92t-Prayer-Miracle/dp/0595681646/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371501603&sr=8-1&keywords=eric+gabrielsen would also fit your tastes.

I tried to read Ian Banks but for whatever reason I just couldn't get into it although I feel like I should have.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

This book is about aliens colonizing earth. I read it recently and liked it enough to be the one subsequent book. So FREE on Kindle http://www.amazon.com/The-Course-Empire-Eric-Flint/dp/0743498933/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371502825&sr=8-1&keywords=empire+flint

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Smapti posted:

Yes! I second this. Monument has one of the best antiheros as a main character I've ever read. This isn't an "antihero" in scare quotes like in other genre novels (eg a gritty and morally flawed but still fundamentally decent person) -- no, the main character in Monument truly is despicable, which is a very difficult thing to pull off; but Graham does a fantastic job of it. And his plotting and world-building is top-notch. If I recall correctly this is Graham's only genre work, which is a real shame.

Monument is out of print and unavailable in ebook but it looks terrific so I just bought the paperback used and I can't wait to see it. My kind of hero! Since Joe Amercrombie (First Law) and Richard K. Morgan (Land Fit For Heros) are very slow writers, this will help fill the gap in my bad guy as good guy reading needs.

I recently read this entire series back to back and it was a wonderful experience. The series is sometimes called Traction Cities, sometimes Predator Series and sometimes Mortal Engine Series depending on which country it was published in. This is the chronological order, not the publication order.

Fever Crumb
A Web Of Air
Scrivener's Moon
Mortal Engines
Predator's Gold
Infernal Devices
A Darkling Plain

It's technically YA but that just means no sex scenes. Otherwise, it's vey adult. I think it starts out about 1000 years after the big war that destroys America and much of the rest of the world in the first 3 books and then skips forward about another 1000 years for the four others. It does come to a final conclusion - and I do mean final. The author is Philip Reeve. I thought it was outstanding.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Neurosis posted:

Joe Abercrombie is a very fast writer. I don't think Morgan is particularly slow either - the Kovacs novels came out over a 3-4 year period, for example.

Slow and Fast are subjective terms. I wasn't derogatory, just how it seems to me. Here are 4 of my favorite authors:
Morgan - Since Altered Carbon 2002, 7 more books.
Abercrombie - Since The Blade Itself 2004, 5 more books
John Locke - Since Lethal People 2010, 17 more books
Hugh Howey - Since Wool 2010, 22 more books

So I suppose it's all relative....

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

andrew smash posted:

Hugh howey flipped his poo poo and spouted off some pretty misogynistic stuff at a reporter that rubbed him the wrong way a while back and since then I've been unwilling to buy any more of his books, despite the fact that I thought wool was pretty okay. He just seems like a total slimebag now. It's too bad really.

Maybe so but if you look at his other actions, I find him to be one of the kindest people around. Are any of us perfect? This guy has encouraged more new writers than any other author I've ever heard of.

I've said worse http://www.salon.com/2013/04/15/self_publishing_star_faces_backlash_for_misogynist_rant_partner/ in a moment of anger.

specklebang fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 20, 2013

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Rurik posted:

This needed a new thread? :psyduck: Okay.

In the previous thread someone mentioned a fantasy book in which royalty ruling due to divine grace gets wiped out in a revolution. Things turn sour cause the divinity thing was true. It sounded interesting, what's the name of the book?

Another question: I liked Reynolds' novel Pushing Ice a lot. Any similar sf books about people trying to colonize or survive on a comet/lifeless rock in space?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Martian-ebook/dp/B009IEXKXI/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1371767996&sr=8-1 is about an astronaut that gets left behind alone on Mars. Seems to be unavailable on Kindle for some strange reason but I own it and would be happy to loan it to you.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

ShutteredIn posted:

I'm not seeing it as available on the .com site either. Strange.

I don't see it on .com either as Kindle.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

OK, my offer to loan it still stands as I bought it on Kindle. Just PM me with a "safe" email address and I'll send the loan link, good for one week. I think I can only lend it once so first come...etc. I've always wanted to try lending so please feel free. It's not a great book but its a good book.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

I want to recommend something obscure. This would be for fantasy people rather than SF but I thought it was great. It's only on Kindle.
http://www.amazon.com/From-Hell-ebook/dp/B0055SXWLG/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1371783129&sr=1-4&keywords=from+hell

quote:

This is a monster of a book, and within its pages can be found monsters of many types (not every character is a 'monster', though - there are some rather nice folk along the way - and some are nice but still monstrous). Before beginning this book, I'd suggest parking any preconceived notions about demons, wizards, dwarves, queens princesses, etc., on the doorstep, because while you will encounter all those things in this book, they aren't going to be anything like those you've encountered before. For that matter, I'd suggest forgetting any notions you've already formed regarding any place named Hell, because Fraser's Hell is going to be different from any you've likely even imagined before.

I read some of Ian Fraser's other work. It was OK, The Nog Sisters is an adventure about a couple of badly behaved fairies who insist on believing that humans are real. From Hell was definitely his best (IMHO).

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

PlushCow posted:

Last week I started reading Chronicles of the Black Company on ebook, an omnibus of the first three novels by Glen Cook. I remember hearing good things about it, and Steven Erikson cites it as a major influence of his for the Malazan series that I love, so I though I'd give it a go - and I couldn't get more than 10% through it before I stopped.

It's the way it's written. The first-person narration was really stilted and slightly jarring. The novel skips scenes it shouldn't, such as "Ok we need to go kidnap this important guy and ask him some tough questions" immediately followed by in the text "that was a tough kidnapping and he's answered some of our questions after we worked him," glossing over events that really should be shown, and Cook does this over and over again. It's nothing but lulls; reaction scenes that are telling me what's going to happen, what has happened, but never showing it happening, which is really boring!

Maybe it gets better later on but I can't power through it.

I actually read this trilogy and became very frustrated with the constant desires and constant virginity that just seemed unnatural. But characters vary in taste as much as anything else. I love Neal Asher's books because I love AIs with personalities. But not everyone does. I also like Abercrombie's characters because I like anti-heros but again, not everybody feels the same way.

I gave it 2.5 stars, slightly less than mediocre.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Victorkm posted:

Re: From Hell by Ian Fraser:

I'm about halfway through now and I would seriously recommend against this book. The writing itself is decently done but the content is pretty dumb. So far there has been projectile explosive diarrhea used as a life saving device, male on male rape treated tongue in cheek contrasted with male on female gang rape treated seriously, and a male character who has changed himself to female and is exploring lesbianism. All in all, it's the last bit that has been the most exasperating. It smacks of author self-insert wish fulfillment.

I'm going to end up finishing the book but I would not recommend it to others.

Sorry. I thought it was hilarious and I bought a number of other books by the same author. That's why it's difficult to make recommendations - peoples tastes vary wildly.

Look at any book on Amazon and you'll see the same book get 5 star and 1 star reviews. How is this possible? One of my all time favorites was Altered Carbon. I loved that book. I read it once. Read it out loud with a friend. Listned to the audio version with 2 other people. That's 4 times for one book. And yet....

quote:

I rarely stop reading books part way through, but I couldn't continue with Altered Carbon. The writing is a dreadful imitation of the noir style, with sentences that clunk and burp, filled with superficial and unsatisfying details. The central character is a juvenile's sketch of an action hero: utterly without personality, banal and psychotic. The minor characters are so unconvincing I wonder how much life experience the author had before putting them to paper.

quote:

What promises from the reviews to be a complex and intriguing story turns out to be 500+ pages of superficial scenarios that are poorly stringed together. I only bothered to finish the book because I assumed events would come together for a grand finale, but the ending was just as blasι as the rest.

quote:

After about 100 pages I couldn't even read it anymore. The writing was poor and disjointed and the story is totally uninteresting. I would never guess that someone could make sci fi this boring and take any kind of wonder out of it.

are just a few of the comments about Altered Carbon.

Now, here are some reactions to From Hell:

quote:

Brilliant that hell has a disco & the waiters are infamous characters from history. Witty dialogue and really interesting situations that the characters fine equally unique and interesting ways of getting out of during the course of their adventures. I'm so glad I picked this book up which is truly a blend of Tolkien & Pratchett.

quote:

Despite the title, which I'm not sure really captures the essence of the book beyond it, this is a brilliantly constructed work, with excellent narrative, rounded dialogue and some truly inspired world building.

This is why it's challenging to make recommendations. I've seen suggestions here for books I found unreadable. I've also seen suggestions that inspired me to discover a new book or author.

On other forums, I usually post the Amazon link because that's where I do a lot of my "research". I did so with this book because it was Kindle only. I can only recommend that any book should be sampled before purchase.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

torgo posted:

Can anyone recommend some sci-fi books about contact with incomprehensibly alien aliens? Blindsight is a good example of what I'm looking for. Spin by Robert Charles Wilson is another book that touches on this theme, but I have the feeling if I read the rest of the trilogy, the aliens' motivations will be revealed to be pretty "human" in the end.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Course-Empire-Eric-Flint/dp/0743498933/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372443002&sr=8-2&keywords=empire+flint and it is free on Amazon Kindle.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

KingAsmo posted:

Hey guys I've been on a two year long sci-fi binge and I'm running out of ideas for what to read next, was hoping you had some suggestions for me.

I would really like something with cyberpunk elements but also with strong prose and that has been written recently enough to extrapolate contemporary technology in to the future. I'm cool with anything from contemporary to the distant future as far as setting goes. Needs to be available in audiobook.

Gibson is great but I thought Pattern Recognition was a little dull and low on technology futurism stuff. I intend to read Broken Angels (Kovachs 2) but I'd like to try a different author first since I just finished Altered Carbon.

I second the God's War suggestion (despite plot weakness the world is just beautifully executed) and also take a look at http://www.amazon.com/KOP/dp/B007BJUHPG/ref=sr_1_1_title_2_audd?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372536503&sr=1-1&keywords=kop
and http://www.amazon.com/The-Skinner-Spatterjay-Series-Book/dp/B004JPBHNG/ref=tmm_aud_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1372536675&sr=1-1 which aren't quite what you asked for and yet..I'm an Altered Carbon fanatic and I liked these so maybe that emotion carried through to these. The samples should tell you....

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

robotox posted:

I'm looking for something that I guess would best be described as cyberpunky, which I know was discussed a little in the last page, though I have some caveats/additions.

Basically, my job is incredibly reactionary so I have time to read occasionally. I'm looking for something light-ish, by which I mean anything short of the hyper-dense, philosophical tomes that some people put out. They're fine, but I don't want to have to reread the last handful of pages when I have to read in short bursts. It doesn't need to be some piece of OH MY GOD NONSTOP ACTION novel, but a little escapist.

I say I'm looking for cyberpunk because I tend to have a fondness for the noir vibe and I have a preference for near-to-mid-future stuff that's based on Earth, or at least not extremely space opera stuff. One way that I'd describe what I'm looking for is urban fantasy with tech instead of magic. Also, I like transhumanism/cyborgs/genetic engineering stuff, some AI stuff, etc. Not a big fan of aliens and spaceships.

I just finished reading the Petrovitch Trilogy by Simon Morden and it fit what I'm looking for really well. I read Altered Carbon and liked it and have read the notable stuff from the '80s and '90s as far as original cyberpunk stuff goes. Again, I'm reticent to strictly say cyberpunk so much as cyberpunk influenced, perhaps.

The Continuing Time novels by Daniel K. Moran http://www.amazon.com/Emerald-Eyes-Tale-Continuing-Time/dp/1576466388/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372702530&sr=8-1&keywords=emerald+eyes

Gideon's Fall, a one hit wonder. http://www.amazon.com/Gideons-Fall-...deons+fall+eric

The Bridge series http://www.amazon.com/The-Bridge-Ch...s=amoral+bridge

I own, read and enjoyed all these lesser known Cyberpunk books.

You might also check out the writings of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Di_Filippo#Novels they're probably more Biopunk than Cyberpunk. He has one collexction of short stories Strange Trades that is my favorite.http://www.amazon.com/Strange-Trades-ebook/dp/B00CME43KK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372703112&sr=8-1&keywords=strange+trades+paul

I also liked the:Petrovich books. The fourth one was recently released. http://www.amazon.com/Curve-Earth-Simon-Morden/dp/031622006X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372702910&sr=1-3

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Loving Life Partner posted:

For people that have read Takeshi Kovacs, is the second book a bit of a letdown?

I'm about 85% finished or something, and some big bad thing is about to be perpetrated, but, I don't even really care all that much at this point.

I feel like the decision to center so much of the book on the mysterious Martian's was a mistake. The flavors of Earth and posthumanism and whatnot were the real draw in the first novel. Having so much hinging on the incredibly incomprehensible machines of Martians, and their singing not-rocks-not-plants and whatnot blah blah blah. It just seems so whatever. Maybe the book will bring it all together in the end, or in the third installment, but this is definitely a drop off after the awesome first book.

I had the same experience of loving Altered Carbon and being indifferent to Broken Angles and finding Woken Furies unreadable. To relive the Altered Carbon expeience, try The Steel Remains by Morgan.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Megazver posted:

The Breach by Patrick Lee. Unrelenting, mindfucky thriller.
Excellent suggestion. Bought this from your list and the first 30% was so good, I'm going to do the trilogy on audiobook. Thanks! Good description :-)

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

VanSandman posted:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a fantasy novel or series that is relatively optimistic? I'm just not very into the whole GRRM grim-and-gritty-'realism' schtick. If you don't mind a bit of a rant, I like my fantasy to be, well, fantasy. I already know people suck, I'd like to get away from that for a while. I've tried reading the Wheel of Time series and didn't like it very much. I also like urban fantasy quite a bit - I've read the Dresden Files, Rivers of London, Felix Castor, the Rook, and some others.
Now I don't mean to imply I dislike it when bad things happen, I'm ok with horrific destruction so long as it's treated with gravitas and anguish and it all ends on a somewhat upbeat note.

I think this might be interesting to you: http://www.amazon.com/From-Hell-ebook/dp/B0055SXWLG/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373301361&sr=1-1&keywords=from+hell+ian

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Someone tell me if there's a quick way to tell whether a book is self-published or not.

If there is a publisher, the first few pages will identify it. For example, the book I suggested, From Hell, is self-published. The quality of a book has little to do with ow it is published in these modern times. Each book must be judged by the quality of the story. Amazon will show you the first few pages if you click on the book picture.

While the volume of badly written garbage is almost overwhelming since self-publishing has no basic standards, I have discovered some real gems and watched some self-publis\hed authors achieve great success. Virtually all self-publishing comes out on ebook format and the samples can quickly reveal the wheat from the chaff. Ebooks have replaced print books the same way that the telephone has replaced the smoke signal.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Victorkm posted:

Blood Song was self published.

And it was awesome.

I haven't finished From Hell yet but I can assure you it is not awesome. See my comments on it in the last couple pages.

One man's awesome is another mans awful. I check out many of the referrals here and some look great to me and others look tiresome. I'm sorry you didn't like From Hell, our tastes are obviously different. May I ask if you downloaded the sample before you made the purchase?

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Bunnita posted:

These were great up until the very end. I was actually kind of angry at how they left it, I don't want to figure it out I want an ending . Others may enjoy it but it really didn't do it for me.

Were you unhappy with the trilogy or just the first book? I've experienced the same thing where you read something great but the final resolution is well, not. I'm well into book 1 and having a great time.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

I prepared this list a year or two ago for another purpose but never got around to putting it up. So, I'll put it here and hope it's of interest. If you see your tastes match mine and you want more information about any of these books or authors...just ask.These were all 5 star books to me.

The Hunger Games (trilogy) – Suzanne Collins – Seriously unrelenting YA dystopia.
Altered Carbon – Richard K. Morgan. Another favorite book of my life plus his The Steel Remains and The Cold Commands is great. Didn't like any of his others.
The Skinner – Neal Asher (I own everything he has ever written). Amazing space opera. The Skinner is a trilogy sub-set in his Polity Universe.
The Hungry City Chronicles: Fever Crumb, A Web Of Air, Scriveners Moon, Mortal Engines, Predators Gold, Infernal Devices and A Darkling Plain – Phillip Reeve – Absolutely fascinating YA Dystopia
Midnight at the Well Of Souls (and the 4 following that are even better) – Jack Chalker. He wrote another quadrilogy, The Four Lords Of The Diamond that I really like also.
The Blade Itself (trilogy) – Joe Abercrombie – Violent, intelligent fantasy. No loving elves!
Perdido Street Station (and the vaguely related The Scar) – China Mieville – Everything else he wrote did not work for me but this is some incredible fantasy that is brilliantly realized.
The Lies Of Locke Lamora – Scott Lynch. Would have been a series but the author cracked up. Crime Fantasy?
Uglies (trilogy) – Scott Westerfeld. Converted me to YA dystopias.
The Maze Runner - James Dashner - trilogy. Very good but then came a prequel that sucked.
Replay – Ken Grimwood. One of the very few good time travel books.
Everlost (trilogy) - Intriguing YA sort of ghost story.
The Forest Of Hands And Teeth (trilogy) – I usually disdain Zombies but this is very, very good.
Unwind – Schusterman. Dystopian YA about an alternative to abortion. Hated the sequel (Unwholly) though.
The Unincorporated Man. - Dani Kollin - a quadrology. Libertarians will like this one and it’s great space opera with an interesting economic system.
Jennifer Government - Max Barry. Corporations take over the world. Government bills you to solve crimes.
Bone Dance - Emma Bull. Urban dark fantasy?
Gideon's Fall - Eric Gabrielsen. Augments and cyborgs mix it up.
Final Days - Gary Gibson. A "Neal Asher" type author. I've enjoyed his 2 trilogies very much. Best of all, the world really does end.
The Menstruating Mall - Carlton Mellick. A really bad day at the mall.
None But Lucifer – Horace Gold – Written in 1929, it explains the world we live in better than any other book I ever read. Faustianism at the next level.
Callahan’s Lady - Spider Robinson – just because it’s my favorite of the Callahan series. Even if you don’t like Spider, this book will make you laugh and cry.
Tetherballs Of Bougainvillea – Mark Leyner – so funny you may well wet yourself when reading. Defies description. Early Bizarro, maybe.?
The Truth Machine - James Halperin – I’m not sure why this book is here. I just got caught up in the possibilities in a world with a working accuratre lie detector. That's the truth.
The Collector Collector – Tibor Fischer – for the sake of your vocabulary, if nothing else. I laughed myself sick.
Just Like Beauty – Lisa Lerner – uh, I don’t know why this book is here. Did I really like it that much or was it the [spolier]rabbit[/spoiler]?
Software quadrilogy – Rudy Rucker – funny, really funny.
Random Acts Of Senseless Violence - Jack Womack - depressing and frighteningly accurate prediction.
Emerald Eyes - DK Moran. Best cyberpunk ever. 4 books in series called The Continuing Time.

I'm currently reading The Breach (trilogy) and Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga. So far, I'm pretty pleased.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Ahh I hope this is good. I've been wanting to get into that series for a while now, but everyone said book 2 had a huge cliffhanger so I never bothered starting.

I wouldn't believe until I actually see it. This book has been postponed for years due to the authors mental instability. Book 1 is good as a stand-alone and is a really excellent book. Book 2 is pretty tedious.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

General Battuta posted:

I've read it, it's real. You can believe in it.

'Mental instability' is a pretty lovely way to describe it, and you should feel bad!

How should I have described it? I wasn't trying to be unkind. I've written him regarding my own experiences with anxiety disorder. I've donated to his Martian serial story which has never been completed and I've bought his books (many times since I keep gifting TLOLL to friends). So I'm not trying to be an rear end. Why don't you just correct what I said.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

General Battuta posted:

I assumed (unfairly) that you spoke out of hostility, tacit or otherwise. I took issue with the language because I don't think depression or anxiety really belong under the same label - 'instability' - as problems like schizophrenia or dissociative disorders. But I leapt to conclusions, and honestly you've done more to support him and people with similar issues than I have. I apologize.

No problem Thanks for acknowledging and making peace.

I'm eagerly awaiting the new book.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

BlazinLow305 posted:

Hello thread. I came in here a few weeks back and got a lot of really good fantasy recommendations which I'm still reading on. However, I'm almost done with the 3rd book in Reynold's RS series, so I figured I'd go ahead and ask some opinions on a new sci-fi series. Here is what I want - A series(The longer the better) that's at least mostly serialized. I like to invest myself. You can probably tell from context, but by sci fi I mean the spaceships kind, rather than superpowers or something. I don't mind hard sci-fi but it doesn't have to be packed full of technobabble or anything. I prefer something with a good bit of characters, hopefully a more complex story that takes place either over a big distance, or over time. It doesn't matter particularly, just something "epic". I probably should ask this in the space opera thread maybe, but I'm not sure. There should obviously be space travel, battles, etc but it doesn't have to solely focus on only that. Also, I can't stand first person.

edit: I also liked The Expanse, but I'm putting off reading the latest book for now until the next comes out. And while the whole in solar system thing didn't bother me, I prefer a bigger scale. Also the whole big mystery thing it had going for it was really cool, so I like big mysteries that make you go "WTF" even if it's a bit ridiculous.

You might take a look at The Unincorporated Man, a 4 book, now complete series with a very interesting premise.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

buildmorefarms posted:

My wife's hunting for some examples (for a class of 16-17 year olds) of "difficult/sophisticated" fantasy novels in order to demonstrate how titles within the same genre can vary wildly in terms of:

* sophisticated language (read: heavy)
* complexity (i.e. not the standard "saving the world from a clearly defined evil")

I thought that maybe grabbing some examples of "high" fantasy would fit the bill, but I'm not a big fantasy reader myself so I didn't want to dive headlong into a few titles only to find that they're considered teenage-fantasy-levels by experienced fantasy readers.

The OP and flow-chart were very helpful in terms of a starting point - just curious if there's other titles out there any of you would recommend. My wife's initial request was something along the lines of "like Heart of Darkness but Fantasy"; one other stipulation she made is that it has to maintain a non-adult rating (I think the incest from something like A Song of Ice and Fire might be a bit much for a catholic school).

Hopefully that's not too specific - thanks!

Everlost, Everwild, Everfound by Neal Shusterman would be worth looking at.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Ceebees posted:

I still can't decide if TUM was tolerable or preachy. I think it comes down to whether or not the author(s?) actually believe the screed their wunderkind main character promulgates, or are using him to critique.

I thought Incorporation was a brilliant concept and I secretly cheered for the bad guys but not the bad Avatars.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Datasmurf posted:

So I am looking for some new fantasy to read.
I've read everything by Terry Brooks, Tolkien, Rowling, Salvatore and 1/4 of Discworld (and I've loved every book by every one of the aforementioned authors so far), and loads of other fantasy books the past 13 years. My last love was for Anne Bishops "Dark Jewels" books, and I'm currently looking for more like that. Strong female characters, a bit smut, some magic and lots of different humanoid races.

I'm also looking for something with dragons that isn't D&D or DragonLance (Don't get me wrong, as I said, I love every D&D book put out by R.A. Salvatore, and I really liked the 8 first books in DragonLance too, I just want something else).
I read "The Heart of Myrial" by Maggie Furey and the other books in "Shadowleague" 10 years ago and I loved them, so maybe something like that?

Oh, and something with elves, where the elves are evil and malign, and again, no D&D or such. I read "The Guardian Cycle" by Julia Gray 11-12 years ago, and it was great and first put me on track for elves that weren't always "good" or "neutral", but just plain evil (like the drow in D&D).

So … Any tips?

Here are some elves you don't want to piss off:. The Last Hot Time by John M. Ford.

Oh, and it has safe words as well.

specklebang fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 25, 2013

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Wangsbig posted:

Oh boy The Emperor of Thorns was underwhelming. The setting interested me enough to force myself through three pretty unlikable books but Mark Lawrence was too in love with his weird brooding anime prince to expand on the great world he created.

I've also decided to read a YA book or two since I basically never have in my life. I think I'm going to be book sad for a long time.

I've read a lot of YA and picking the best isn't easy. But of all of them, if I could only have one on "the island", it would be: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predator_Cities
They should be read in the following order (not publication order)
Fever Crumb
A Web Of Air
Scrivener's Moon
Mortal Engines
Predator's Gold
Infernal Devices
A Darkling Plain

This is adultish YA, not for little kids. I've read them twice, something I rarely do, because they were that good and the prequel made the most sense by being read first. Author is Philip Reeves, I never read any of his other works because they seem too "young" for me. My highest recommendation (competing with THG, Uglies, Everlost and Gone - all great but this is the greatest IMHO).

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

AreYouStillThere posted:

Oh, well poo poo. I picked up Mortal Engines from the library assuming it would be the best place to start. Is it that big a deal? Should I send it back and get Fever Crumb?

Actually, the publication order starts with Mortal Engines and the 3 Fever Crumb books are prequels. So of course, my first reading was Mortal Engines and the 3 following and Fever Crumb I read later. But when I did my marathon read of all 7, I started with Fever Crumb and I felt it added a lot of explanation to the Mortal Engines world - even though it's set 1000 years earlier. So, either way is OK but if you can start at Fever Crumb, I think you'll add value but it isn't imperative.

specklebang fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 31, 2013

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

Relax, Mortal Engines is the first book and is great. Fever Crumb is a recent prequel. Don't ever, ever listen to people who tell you to read a book series in internal chronological order. What would you recommend to people to watch first: A New Hope or The Phantom Menace?

I would hope that instead of taking your advice which is to "never ever, ever listen to tell you to read a book series in chronological order", a completely pointless comment that contributed nothing and uses completely unrelated examples, and instead read some books in chronological order if they are already published and available that way.

This is particularly true of The Traction Cities since understanding the history of the mobile cities, the aircraft development and this history of Shrike (or Grike) makes for a great enhancement of the
overall reading experience.

I'll guess that you never read Fever Crumb, A Web Of Air and Scrivener's Moon. You just saw an opportunity to take a shot at someone (me, in this case) so you could sound important. I hope AreYouStillThere takes my positive advice instead of your negative advice.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

Counter: if an author wanted to tell a story a particular way, he/she would have written it in that order.

It's not the obligation of the reader to follow the presumed wishes of the author.

I was profoundly affected by my reading of the original quadrology and I followed the author with great interest. When the Fever Crumb books were released, I bought and kept them without reading them. I did correspond with the author when he offered the 3rd book of the group, Scrivener's Moon, which I purchased at auction for a charitable event. He suggested that I go ahead with my marathon read because he doubted there would be another Fever Crumb book forthcoming.

Having then read them in chronological order, I found a great deal of added value in understanding the background of some of the primary issues. I rarely post here unless I have something to contribute and I specifically offered my suggestions on the basis of what I experienced. Indeed, I believe that the Fever Crumb portion of the overall arc must have been created before the Mortal Engines sequence. Otherwise, should there not have been an explanation of Stalkers, Airships (including the Jenny Haniver) and the very concept of the Traction Cities themselves?

If you have read all 7 books and you genuinely feel that I have misjudged this, then I suppose this is just a POV conflict. If, however, you have not read the Fever Crumb segment, then your criticism of my judgement might just be unfair.

My suggestion is specific to this series and not something I automatically suggest. However, if you are perhaps a reader of Neal Asher's work, you'll experience the same thing (to a lesser degree) by reading them in their chronological state instead of their publication dates.

The drawing I attached are the (drafts) of the ones that adorn the interior pages of Scrivener's Moon. Mr. Reeve drew these in my copy as part of the auction agreement. This is Shrike (or Grike) with my 3 cats.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

specklebang fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 2, 2013

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

House Louse posted:

I've only read the (published) first, but :3:

Ah well, one man's meat is another man's poison. The 7 books are among my favorites but you don't like them. Maybe you would have enjoyed Mortal Engines more if you had started with Fever Crumb and didn't have to go through that huge suspension of disbelief the mobile cities may have challenged.

Just as I can't stand certain greatly loved authors that others may rave about. Still, I check out almost every suggestion made here - often I don't find myself interested - but sometimes you get a match-up.

So, has anybody read Liminal States by Zack Parsons (one of the owners or affiliated with this forum)?

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

General Battuta posted:

That's a cat face, dude, not an expression of dislike for the book. He's communicating adoration for the cat illustration you posted.

Ooops. Sorry. I'm low vision and misread what I thought I saw. Thought it was a scowl.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

I just discovered the story "Scales" by Alastair Reynolds. It's a super short (less than 2000 words) and succinct "gently caress you" to the entire Military SF genre, and it's got a great ending.

Excellent story! Thanks for the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Phummus posted:

The third chunk of the Wool books, called Dust came out last month. Has anyone read it yet? I enjoyed Wool, but not so much Shift. I'm really in need of a good, long series to read. I'm usually a fantasy guy, but I've read most of the major recommendations here. If anyone could just travel into the future and get me the rest of The Way of Kings, that would be splendid.

Dust is good - and satisfying. It does bring closure. I think there is another sequence called SAND coming out eventually.