Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Joramun posted:

No, I'm on .com and it shows up as "Kindle edition: $7.84" (see screenshot below for proof). It's pretty strange that it doesn't show up for you even when you're logged out, usually that fixes it.

I'm not seeing it as available on the .com site either. Strange.

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

Does anyone know why Greg Egan doesn't allow photos of himself to appear anywhere online? My guess is he's monstrously fat.

He's the Thomas Pynchon of painfully characterless science fiction.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

General Battuta posted:

Aaaaaaaahhhhahahahhhrhhrhrrghhghhhh :unsmigghh:

quote:

She quickly made peace with the situation, even defending her husband from accusations of paedophilia because the 14-year-old "did not impress me as a minor child... I think he would have been old enough to be married in this state legally, so I figured what he did sexually was his own business."

What the gently caress.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

I've read that article and was aware authors generally don't pick the cover art. What constitutes good art is subjective but I find the general presentation of most genre literature almost repellent and question who the gently caress thought this or that particular cover was attractive enough to make someone more likely to buy the book instead of less.

Nerds have bad taste.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My point was that it's rare to find a sci fi or fantasy book that is a singular book, not part of a series.

Fantasy yeah but uh not really for science fiction.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

My big problem with Ancillary Justice was that it was incredibly loving boring.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

General Battuta posted:

The Expanse just got extended to nine books.

If you haven't jumped ship yet, loving jump ship. 6 was already 3 too many.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

City of Bohane is better than pretty much every pulp fiction book this godforsaken forum loves. Just trying to help.

It's alright. I really didn't think it was anything special.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

nightchild12 posted:

Speaking of Alistair Reynolds, how is his work outside of the Inhibitor trilogy? I loved Revelation Space, liked Redemption Ark, and disliked Absolution Gap, which are the only three of his works that I have read. After Absolution Gap, I pretty much avoided the reset of his stuff, fearing that I would run into more of the same, but I have heard good things about some of his other stuff.

The Prefect and Chasm City are really great.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

neongrey posted:

You can't post in this thread that you don't buy Card or Wright without getting nerds coming out of the woodwork saying that they have done nothing bad enough to warrant individuals choosing not to purchase their books.

This is really really not true at all and you're being annoying about this.

Anyway, I really liked the 4 or so of her stories that I've read, so go read those.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Bakker writes the most boring grimdarkest grimdark rapefantasy bullshit.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

General Battuta posted:

Nah Bakker has strengths and weaknesses. There's a lot of cool poo poo in his writing, he's also really into :biotruths: and rape. So it's worth considering whether you'll like it before diving in!

Mmm I sure do love me some rape, sounds like a great author! Bakker is a loving hack poo poo who writes garbage books, don't read Bakker.

Do read Ian MacDonald though. Desolation Road is one of my favorite fantasy works ever.

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 26, 2014

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

wildfire1 posted:

I have to assume he meant gibson.

That... makes even less sense.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

andrew smash posted:

Has anybody read anything by Paul McAuley? I impulse-bought "Something Coming Through" on amazon a while ago and it's interesting. I'm not very far through it yet but so far I really like what i've seen of his aliens.

This book had me hooked for the first third or so but it really goes absolutely nowhere. Was a very disappointing plot tacked on to some interesting world building.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

thehomemaster posted:

I Bought wrights book of essays

Why would anyone do this?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Patrick Spens posted:

Hilariously enough, various puppies have been pointing to the fact that KJA has never had a Hugo nomination before this year as evidence that the Hugo's are broken. The phrase "titan of in the field" has been used.

King poo poo Giant of Mount Turdington deserves this award!

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

thehomemaster posted:

This makes it seem you wrote City of Stairs?

Oops, names mixed up.

Cyberabad Days is in the same setting but isn't a sequel to River of Gods at all.

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 20, 2015

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

Also, goddamn finally:

I give up on physical bookstores. The release date was on Tuesday and nowhere in Sydney had it until today. What's the point in a release date?

Also, the Australian printing is really poo poo. The letters all look fuzzy. Next time I'm importing from the UK again.

That thing looks gigantic holy poo poo

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Fart of Presto posted:

Anyone know any of the other books?

Cat Rambo's shorts are great, she writes beautiful prose for genre fiction.

Rusch writes very solid workmanlike space opera. The Diving books are all really fun.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

I'm reading Ian McDonald's new one, Luna: New Moon. It's got really interesting world building but fits his recent trend of depressing as hell characters. I was hoping for more Desolation Road blatant weirdness I guess.

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 26, 2015

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Neurosis posted:

it's luna: new moon i think

Haha oops, yeah that one.

I'm about 3/4 and have no idea how this plot is going to come together at all.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

I just finished Lavie Tidhar's Central Station and it is fantastic. He builds a world and throws you into it so well, I want more of the universe.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Groke posted:

On an unrelated note, I'm just reading Luna: New Moon by Ian McDonald and it's pretty drat good so far... now, I read and loved Desolation Road way back in the day, can someone tell me why the gently caress I haven't read any of his other books since then? Huh?

You should! He's one of the greats, imo. Ares Express loses most of the 100 Years of Solitude IN SPACE vibe of Desolation Road but overall probably has a better narrative. Empire Dreams is a short story collection with a few stories in the Desolation Road universe, including a story that makes the Catharine Wheel stuff make way more sense.

River of Gods, Brasyl, and The Dervish House are set in near-future India, Brazil, and Turkey respectively and are all really good and not the usual SF setting.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

saphron posted:

What else of hers should I read?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursula_K._Le_Guin_bibliography

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

I don't know much about Baen's catalog, but anyone that's willing to publish Kratman gotta have a fine sense of appreciation for complete nutjobs.

edit: Unrelated, but apparently I completely missed that Catherynne M Valente put out a sequel to The Habitation of the Blessed. Anyone read that? I'm mostly interesting on whether it closes the story or if there's another book coming.

The second book is just as good as the first one. There's a 3rd book written called The Spindle of Necessity. But Valente split with Night Shade Books when they were going under and hasn't said anything about it getting published for a few years now.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There's only a few people who don't like it, but those fuckers are obnoxiously vocal with their criticisms, and will swan into the thread to rant the minute someone posts something in Malazan's favour.

Malazan is really bad and 20,000 pages too long.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

Now my book club is hashing out some fantasy options, and I'm curious, I feel like I've read here that Terry Goodkind books are really not very good... Or Terry Brooks, I can't remember. Which was it, and why? I've talked the group out of doing any Robert Jordan books because frankly I'm not that interested in Wheel of Time, but they turned to Terry Goodkind as an option when I shot down Jordan. Nobody in the group has read any of his stuff, though.

Terry Brooks wrote The Lord of the Rings But Not over and over and over and....

Terry Goodkind is the worst published writer of fantasy fiction and possibly the worst published writer of any type of fiction.

Terry Goodkind's death chicken posted:

Hissing, hackles lifting, the chicken's head rose. Kahlan pulled back. Its claws digging into stiff dead flesh, the chicken slowly turned to face her. It cocked its head, making its comb flop, its wattles sway. "Shoo," Kahlan heard herself whisper. There wasn't enough light, and besides, the side of its beak was covered with gore, so she couldn't tell if it had the dark spot, But she didn't need to see it. "Dear spirits, help me," she prayed under her breath. The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens. But this was no chicken. This was evil manifest.

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 2, 2016

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Punkpunk - taking the aesthetics of the early 80s punk scene but with a thin veneer of pseudo-historical bullshit on top.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

I think some of Asimov's ideas still hold up, but then I also think the Foundation books are some of the most flat, boring things I've ever tried to read.

His work feels very much of a certain time and some people won't like that and that's fine.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

I'm catching up the short fiction side of things, have only read a couple of them this round. Here's the ones that are up for free:

Novelettes:
“Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea”, Sarah Pinsker
“Blood Grains Speak Through Memories”, Jason Sanford
“You’ll Surely Drown Here If You Stay”, Alyssa Wong

Short Stories:
“Our Talons Can Crush Galaxies”, Brooke Bolander <- this is terrible, how did this get nominated?
“Seasons of Glass and Iron”, Amal El-Mohtar
“Things With Beards”, Sam J. Miller
“A Fist of Permutations in Lightning and Wildflowers”, Alyssa Wong
“Welcome to the Medical Clinic at the Interplanetary Relay Station│Hours Since the Last Patient Death: 0”, Caroline M. Yoachim

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Xotl posted:

I generally have no idea what people mean when they use "pulp" nowadays.

"Bad"

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

The stories in there are mostly pretty great though. Honestly the only two of his books I'd stay away from are Desolation Road and Ares Express, but that's because they're fairly boring compared to his stuff based on actual cultures. They're still not bad, just not that interesting.

For another opinion, I think Desolation Road and Ares Express are far and away the best things he's written. Desolation Road is a great Weird Mars version of 100 Years of Solitude.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

fritz posted:

FWIW, the Legend of the Galactic Heroes books are being translated, the first few are out.

I tried to read the first one of these and it was so loving clunky. I don't know if they are bad translations or just bad writing, but oof. It was so dry and boring.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Victorkm posted:

Guess I should come out from under my rock with all the litrpg I read on Kindle Unlimited.

If I know this thread, even though I have recommended these before, I'd recommend against them overall. Theres like 6 or 7 total books and before you reach a satisfactory conclusion it gets REALLY sexist and rapey.

So probably not really worth getting deep into if you find that sort of writing distasteful.

This is one of my favorite LitRPG series. Its very true that some fans get really anal about the stat blocks and quest rewards not being consistent over the whole 5 books so far (?!?!?) though I don't really give a poo poo. If there's anything I could recommend about this series its to read the author's novel "The Beginning: Dark Paladin vol 1" as it does a better job showing the way the author thinks and sees the world than nearly anything in the first 4.95 books of Way of the Shaman. Otherwise the reveal at the end of book 5 is very jarring.

As for other recommends in LitRPG, I'd recommend Awaken Online: Catharsis and Awaken Online: Precipice by Travis Bagwell, and Continue Online (5 book series) by Stephan Morse which is complete. Both of these series have a lot to do with the implications of Artificial Intelligences and the self-improvement of the featured characters.

Viridian Gate Online (2 books so far) by J.A. Hunter which is about a humanity-ending cataclysm that is somewhat allayed by a company which has invented an MMORPG which humans can possibly transfer their consciousness into to live beyond the asteroid impact. Unfortunately, not everyone is starting off on an even footing as the company has taken bribes to set up some users as god kings able to enslave the rest of the users.

Crucible Shard by Skyler Grant which I guess has 4 books. I've only read the first 2. The world it is set in is a hunger games like world where gamers are celebrities. The main character has been shanghaied into a scheme by his brother and his brother's friends to invade a game world and become rich and famous, but end up in a sort of UR-game that exists behind and below the rest of the games. The main character has impulse control issues and ends up solving most problems by having sex with horrifyingly powerful or just horrifying women (the goddess of fire and lust, a queen of spiders and venom, etc.) They are pretty fun romps and involve a lot to do with AI.

World of Ruul by J. A. Cipriano which are about a guy who has his brain placed into a jar by a shadowy government conspiracy to be immersed in a game and try to take down a sentient virus that is threatening the entire world. Not sure about the recommend here as its full of "jokes" that aren't as funny as the author seems to think, but still kinda fun.

What's wrong with your brain?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

The, uh, description for the book in this link is :stare:

Barry Hughart is a pretty weird dude. He wrote a fantastic first book, 2 follow ups that basically rehashed the first one, and then got fed up with his publishers and basically disappeared. He loving hated his books being labeled as Fantasy/SF.

There were originally going to be 7 books with the heroes dying and becoming demi-gods in the finale. Instead he never published anything after 1990.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

Vacuum Flowers is worth the price of admission alone

That cover tho lol

I agree, this one is better

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The Cthulhu Mythos and the authors homaging it have not produced a single good story.

Brian Evenson wrote some good sorta kinda Lovecraft stories.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

I'm one of those idiots that likes to read everything when I read an author so I generally go in pub order to get the weakest out of the way first.

What in the. Please don't read books this way.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Speaking of litRPGs Awaken Online's side book, opened up with the side book protagonist getting a giant level-up notification with stat round-up and blah blah then going ohh yeah the main line protagonist plays told me to turn these off because they are distracting. It then proceeded to not have any stat/loot/level-up/notification stuff until a post-epilogue character page round-up. It felt just like a huge slap to the genre and I loved it.

I don't know what any of this means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

freebooter posted:

What's the best SFF book you read this year?

Zachary Mason's Void Star. Really good modern cyber-punk.