Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's not just goons. It's also every other internet discussion place that I frequent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

coffeetable posted:

I was going over the genre fiction I've read from the past year to make recommendations to a friend, and while I've mentioned it before it's worth a re-mention: Rage of Dragons is really loving good. Far better than the title suggests it is. Self-published, first-time black author

This book is already on my to-read list and I'm looking forward to reading it, but this also made me randomly think: what if there was a magic system with types of authors being different colors, like in Final Fantasy or M:TG: white mage, black mage, blue mage, etc.

Terry Pratchett would obviously be a white mage and the grimdark authors black. I'd say Max Gladstone is blue: his stuff feels very head over heart to me. Red is one of those books where a true-blooded ex-marine shows those loving liberals what's what when poo poo hits the fan because of them.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Chad Jihad posted:

If I wanted a book or series that was as close to the Dominions computer game series as possible, if not in content then aesthetic/feel, would there be any good options

Maybe describe the content/aesthetic to us, so we understand what the appeal to you is?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Affi posted:

Pierce Brown good or bad?

Depends on whether you like Hunger Games.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Beefeater1980 posted:

Depressing to read about Eddings, I liked his stuff as a teen and it always seemed very innocent, standard fantasy stuff.

I really like stories with tons of practical detail. Does anyone have any recommendations similar to Nathan Lowell’s Ravenwood, in which a small group set up a tiny settlement and there’s a lot of discussion of the steps involved in doing so? The grandest thing that happens is building an inn.

Jules Verne's Mysterious Island?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kalman posted:

Oh so he ripped off Stross’s singularity books.

Stross did not invent posthuman space opera.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Safety Biscuits posted:

I finally read Throne of the Crescent Moon and god how was it nominated for a Hugo. It's a mess.

It got a lot of buzz on release because, as far as I could tell, it's an Arab fantasy written by a Muslim Arab. It's kind of why I gave it a go as well. I thought it was an obvious first novel from someone who already wrote decent short fiction, but didn't quite succeed at his first attempt at longform.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Nynaeve's casting strikes me as particularly inspired. They'll have a lot of room to play with her anger issues.

braid joke

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

there's a series of historical mysteries by Jason Goodwin about an Ottoman detective named Yashim that has an associated cookbook "Yashim Cooks Istanbul" with recipes for all the stuff he cooks in the books (and there are a lot).

the books are whatever (well I only read the first one), decent story that's fun if you have interest in the Ottomans. the recipes are good as hell though. dunno of any other licensed fiction cookbooks.

Surprisingly, Fallout: The Vault Dweller's Official Cookbook has solid recipes, apparently.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Goodreads ratings reflect basically nothing about a novel.

Goodreads ratings don't reflect much about a novel's quality, but Mark Lawrence figured out there is a very strong correlation between the rating numbers and sales.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Doctor Fid books by Davis Reiss are nice comfy reads about Totally Not Doctor Doom who, instead of being super-weird about a former colleague and his wife, has a Boys-like tragic backstory that gave him a hard-on for punishing corrupt superheroes and uses his mad science skills (both senses of the word) to run a biotech company as his civilian persona. Solid books, if you're into the genre.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 6, 2019

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.com/2017/08/the-biggest-fantasy-debuts-in-past.html

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Tom Gauld is dope.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
AMA from Gideon's author.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This sounds very good, actually. I'll check it out.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Solitair posted:

I'm wondering why R.A. Lafferty's books in particular are mostly unavailable as ebooks.

Gaiman organized a Best Of collection earlier this year:

https://www.sfgateway.com/titles/r-a-lafferty/the-best-of-r-a-lafferty/9781473213456/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I propose we just poo poo on the 'Real Literature' thread in the title.