Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Does anyone, really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Just call em.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
But trans pacific flights almost never have anything to look at out the window

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
You're also like 2 feet tall you lucky jerk

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tom Smykowski posted:

NBA starting lineup itt

this but unironically

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
That would be living with roommates in less than 500 square feet of space too. I wouldn't take that offer if you had anything even a bit better

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Vernacular posted:

What neighborhoods would y'all recommend checking out for somebody going to CUHK? Is Craigslist the best site for looking for housing or are there better options?

CUHK actually makes this a lot easier because you can rent out in Tai Po or Fanling instead of trying to squeeze yourself into Kownloon or Hong Kong Island. I actually lived just a short minibus ride away from CUHK in a pretty great place in Ma On Shan that at the time was only 11k because there was a double suicide in it. I wish I remembered what website I found that listing on but it was Chinese and probably doesn't exist anymore. Try this one:
https://www.gohome.com.hk/en/rent/ma-on-shan/?l1

Looks like prices in the old neighborhood have gone up a lot though.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Finally a TGA post I can agree with 100%.

How's your language skills, Vernacular?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Vernacular posted:

I know Cantonese has been the official language of HK but I've also heard less people are learning it. Better to focus on Cantonese or Mandarin?

You would have a bad time studying Mandarin in Hong Kong. Cantonese is more fun and more useful there but English will get you by just fine most of the time so don't sweat it. The only question is whether or not a lack of Asian language ability will be detrimental to your studies in Asia.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
1 thing that is a dangerous derail but I have to address is that French is a super important language worth way way more than Spanish with the only slight possible exception in the Americas. But French is a working language of countless international bodies and organizations, an official language in a huge number of countries, a critical language of diplomacy in general, and ultimately not at all comparable to the situation of Cantonese from any linguistics discipline. Be nice to French.

As for Cantonese people speaking anything close to approximating good Mandarin: lol.
Cantondarin is just Cantonese except yi means 1 this time.
Cantonese people are just as bad about assuming they can speak Mandarin because "hey it's Chinese and I speak Chinese" as Sichuan people are. Do we have to pull out that Fernando Chui video?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I wasn't tricked but I wish I was

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Wouldn't yak butter tea have like 4900 calories per teaspoon

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
WeChat Pay/Alipay is very common in places that cater to mainland tourists but is not much used by Hong Kongers. I used Samsung Pay at convenience stores, but just your regular old Visa card is widely accepted. You will need cash if you want to go to like an old school cha chan ting though.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I wonder what my life would be like if I moved to Taiwan.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna advise you to commit some crimes. Simplefish is a narc who's jealous of your soundspinning skills. In fact if you advertise yourself as the illegal DJ it'll probably get you a sick as hell rep.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Shenzhen doesn't have anything worth seeing since they closed Minsk World.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
What's up with Hainan now? They were my go-to for travel to the mainland as recently as last February.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Sure but what does that mean for me, the passenger? Are they massively cutting costs to service the debt?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
You can just buy fastpasses for every ride if you want them? Is that a thing at every Disney park?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Now when you say "crazy super rich" do you mean "can afford $30 per ride" like it seems in Shanghai or like "can charter the entire park for a day"?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah it's just a large Buddha. I am extremely burned out on and uninterested in seeing any more Buddhas ever but it's up to how you feel about Buddhas. It's not like it's old or anything, it's just big.

It was made in a missile factory in the 1980s, which is kind of cool in its own right. But yeah not as impressive as the huge ones carved out of mountains over a thousand years ago.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

TheReverend posted:

Favorite American I met was in Beijing near the Mutianyu section of the wall. He was fat black guy and was just chilling on a section of stone. We'd talk about whatever in-between him getting the selfie with a foreigner treatment.

Like... regularly? Does he live there?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Sounds badass.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Magna Kaser posted:

sometimes. usually they're just lining up outside that one crowded xiaolongbao place anthony bourdain went to once
FOODIES! :argh:

Worse than neo-confederate Albertans in my opinion.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

tino posted:

That's another reason I don't like SH, It feels like a try-hard, watered-down version of New York.

This is a very accurate description of Shanghai.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's always beer with you.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I had a honey cider with dinner last night and that was good. It was more expensive than a Tsingtao in China though for sure.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Do eat at Ruby Tuesday's though

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

JaySB posted:

I'm headed to Hong Kong next month. Should I stay at the Ritz Carlton or the JW Marriott?

The Ritz is a cooler hotel but it's on the Kowloon side. If you're doing stuff in Central or Admiralty you might want to stay at the Marriott.

Are you gonna be there a while? I'm in Hong Kong for a little more than a week next month too let's hang out.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm there October 16-23, I'll just post here for the benefit of all goons. With the loss of caberham (עליו השלום) we no longer have the strongest force for Hong Kong (honestly, all of Asia) goon hangouts so I gotta do what I can to pick up some slack.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Great Autismo! posted:

caberham is still there, mate

Holy poo poo what I didn't know where the guy I'm going to visit was!!

I mean he's not in these spaces organizing meetups anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Shanghai got Carl's Jr. so yeah. Hella worth it