Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Book a tour through a hostel and go to Mutianyu. Do not go to Badaling. I stay at Saga Youth International Hostel when I go to Beijing. It's not bad, and convenient, not far from the tube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Spent an entire day in tai o, loved it

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MeramJert posted:

You should key all these cars

They would just leave them there and buy new ones.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodnose posted:

Those park gym equipment things are rusty, rickety and intended for use by the elderly. Using them would be equivalent to you riding a child's horsey toy in a western park in terms of social awkwardness.

You would probably make chinasmack if you were using it though, so there's that.

In all reality, a guy I work with and I were walking home and saw some old man on one and he said something like "+1 health, -4 dignity". How apt.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm actually less self conscious, because, well...China.

Then again, I belong to a pretty nice gym and do all my working out there, so I don't need to exercise outside in the polluted booming metropolis of Tianjin.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you're going to an agent you don't even need to buy online, you can go to the agent and buy it there, takes like literally 30 seconds.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There's an agent literally next to my building so it takes like a minute walking home from work. Those dudes are everywhere, I can't imagine having to go far to get a ticket at one of them.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Says the boy who still lives with his mom.. Be sure to clean up your room.

caberham posted:

Boy/goon/neckbeard/creep/random internet guy, I'm Chinese and have a family to live :china: It's nice actually have a family to live with instead of fleeing from the government over student loans.

Your own house in the sticks was bought by your in-laws. Aren't you special? Actually it's pretty cool to have in-laws taking pity on you and give you shelter. It's ok to have an identity crisis and be indenial over yourself. Just get nationalized already geeze. This poo poo is turning into LAN. Aiya.

:stare:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
drat like four days here and you have already morphed into TWM

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LimburgLimbo posted:

No, TWM was occasionally amusing

\/\/ yeah this is what I'm talking about

I miss TWM and he is a good friend in real life but I think people forget how awful of a poster he was his first year plus in this thread

I still miss him terribly :dings:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DontAskKant posted:

What does "I'm a sunshine girl from China" mean?

GuestBob posted:

She probably won't swallow.

5'd

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

Yeah but you also majored in linguistics and studied Japanese for 3 years. I also never heard you use Mandarin in higher level conversations ever :colbert:

:munch:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

Anyways, report to the Chinese language thread and just ask a bajillion questions like you do here and you will be in good shape.

Is that thread any good? I've gone over there three different times, wanting to discuss ancient Chinese idioms and expressions that Chinese has that other languages don't and gotten pretty much nothing at all for answers. One guy did suggest I had alternate motives for it, like homework for some class or something. I guess that's what I get for expressing an interest in the language.

Anyway, bottom line, that thread left me with a ridiculous sour taste in my mouth and I just ask my Chinese friends for help or suggestions.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

YF19pilot posted:

Apparently, "Education First" is the parent company of "English First". I applied at the English First website, but the materials and everything came with Education First under the same logo. Apparently Education First has a "world wide" presence according to the recruiter I spoke with. "World Wide" meaning Russia and Indonesia according to the web site, but I think they have offices state side, too.

I know a few people that work for Education First here, one is a dude from New Zealand that I have beers with off and on, he is cool as hell. It's like the more professional of the jobs, I guess you could say, a step up higher than English First. Not that English First is bad, but Education First like YF said is the parent company.

YF19pilot posted:

Aw, but goldboilermark's been so nice.

:toot:

YF19pilot posted:

Shanghai and Beijing are apparently "primary cities" which require that I already have a TEFL and two years of post-graduate teaching experience. Guangzhou and Shenzhen are in the same boat (there is no Hong Kong proper, apparently). Everything else I'm qualified for, so I'll be at the mercies of the various franchises in these "remote" and "rural" secondary cities like Chengdu and Tianjin.

Tianjin is a secondary city but it doesn't mean it is remote or rural. I know with the :airquote: you might have meant something else but we have like 25 Starbucks and more Burger Kings than Chengdu. We are 30 minutes away from Beijing by high speed rail. A few years ago EF kind of sucked here but it's really been good the past year plus, almost all of the people that work there now I consider mates and they are all really good people here, which is a far cry from 2010.

YF19pilot posted:

I will keep this in mind. Out of curiosity, though, what would be an "acceptable" salary for a no-experience scrub like myself in a Tier 2 city? Also what is the difference between a tier 1 and tier 2 city? Is this something arbitrarily set by each company or something China has defined for itself?

Depends on taxes and such but anything north of 10k a month I would have to assume is good to go.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Arakan posted:

Guilin is a shithole I'd skip there except connecting trains or whatever, but the other towns south of it near the river are awesome.

Xingping.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I am sometimes overly passive aggressive so they can know I am not being subtle and they still don't get it.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LentThem posted:

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I have no idea what's going on in these examples. I'm not really getting why the sentences are offensive, but also I'm not seeing subtlety.

For the quote "I'm always the real deal, I'm never a small fry" is it underhanded? It doesn't even seem to relate to what the previous person said.

I am not sure but I just assumed caberham was drunk posting after the wedding because I didn't understand any of it

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Smudgie Buggler posted:

[the wedding] was an insane pastiche of what might pass for romantic if you'd never progressed past the emotional age of 14; a hideous amalgam of a small girl's 'dream wedding', cobbled together chiefly from watching too many Disney movies, and one of those game shows where the sole objective is to humiliate the contestants.

lol i like this guy

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dilber posted:

My old school hired a black person accidentally, and then sent her to Henan.

TheBuilder posted:

That's a good thread title.

hahahahahahaa

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Gentlemen and Ladies, I come to you seeking the advice as per the purpose of this thread.

Depending on visa issues of my lovely girlyfriend, once her student visa expires and we can't get a renewal, I'll follow her back to Chengdu, China. I've been twice already and love it but this would be living, which is obviously a little different from week long holidays.

It looks like a Z1 visa would be best for me as would want to get some part time employment, but the main problem with that is that I've not been offered a job and ideally I'm going over their to live and then look for a job.

My ideal set up would be my girlfriend and I live in one of her 'rent's apartments whilst she gets a job doing her thing in the country she feels more comfortable in and I get a part-time job and work on my portfolio/skills in the mean time to take advantage of the gaming boom in China, with the part time job acting as a place holder until the real job comes around.

What would be the best way to do something like this? (I'm in the uk if that helps)

[EDIT: adjusted the bad grammar]

If you're serious about her and all of this, I'll throw in my hat for the studying method of coming over. You don't sound like you are interested in teaching and any "SKILLS" you may have will be accented even more with two years of studying Chinese at a University. You can communicated with her family well, you can start to understand the culture and live here legally, it isn't that expensive, she can help you, and you can find little things here and there part time on the weekends to make some cash. If you have no interest in education and are doing this to just be with her, I would not recommend teaching, nor would I recommend just coming over and doing nothing on a tourist visa for three months. You can better yourself by studying Chinese and preparing for the Chinese world take over by getting a few years in, then in a few years when you have HSK level 4 or 5 you can get a good paying job in China or in the UK once you have figured out what's up with you and the girl. And if everything goes to poo poo with the girl you can always leave school in the middle of the night, while burning a legal employer is usually a poo poo thing to do.

Just my humble opinion.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think there are any stats, I just assuming anyone that has any kind of excessive money has gotten it via drugs, exploitation, and embezzlement. That, or working with someone who is paying a lot because of that. I don't think anyone has stats on Chinese embezzlement and exploitation lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Those waterfalls look awesome.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Facepalm Ranger posted:

What's the best Visa for me to pretty have no commitments until I'll like gently caress it I'll work in a bar or something? (that is unless a chinese language course a sichuan uni is cheap ish and time managable)

I wrote an entire post for you on this page or the previous page explaining exactly why my visa plan was perfect for you. Did you not read it?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My company is swapping two people now on Z visas and it is only a problem if one of the companies acts like a petulant five year old typical face-losing adult Chinese person.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
As SB and GuestBob said, you don't need to leave China to get new ones. It is all done internally.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If I make a confused comment about skyrim is bloodnose going to come into this thread and tell me how much he hates me :ohdear:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

blinkyzero posted:

:catstare:

Jesus dude, doesn't your girlfriend read this thread? lol

Yeah this made me excessively cringe but I just ignored it because "Prince Abe" bla bla bla lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MeramJert posted:

He's not afraid to say this stuff in person with his girlfriend sitting beside him.

Uhm wow

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man you came here pretty last minute. Anyway you could call her parents via WeChat and use a video call that way? Don't know if her parents would use WeChat or not, would require a smartphone. I'm not very tech savvy at all, once all the China goons regain consciousness this morning I'm sure they can offer up some suggestions.

Good luck buddy!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

Ummm my girlfriend just suggested Skype video. Kind of makes sense for one to one. Can you dual stream or you want multiple Chinese connections? Anyways she's looking. Will get back to you soon

I just assumed the WeChat video feed would be better as I think almost all Chinese people WeChat. I never use Skype in China, it doesn't work like half the time for me. WeChat always works and can be done on a mobile phone, while Skype needs a computer, doesn't it? Anyway, that was why I suggested the WeChat video function.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I have only had Justin.tv work once in four years in China for myself. It's all water under the bridge at this point, congrats mate! :woop:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Also what is the indie comics scene like in china, specifically Chengdu. If it exists?

You will quickly learn that I am the last person out of every single goon to answer this but I am ridiculously curious about indie comic scene in China so someone please answer this

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Texibus posted:

Guys I've got a buddy in China

Yeah, we all know people in China, people come from all over to see the diff-

Texibus posted:

on his honeymoon

:stare:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've said it before, EF in Tianjin (at least at two of the offices) is actually quite a good gig. I haven't done it but when people are switching there and have been there for multiple years and I know their bosses, I feel confident enough saying it's at least not terrible like some of you make it out to be.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
YF19Pilot, what city are they offering?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

VideoTapir posted:

I have, however, heard rumors about them no longer being able to hire foreigners legally...so while I can generally recommend them, I will warn you to walk away if they give you any bullshit at all about getting you a Z visa. The paperwork should be well underway before you leave your home country.

This might be the understatement of the thread. All of the paperwork needs to be 100% finished before you leave your home country. How else are you supposed to get into China?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
That was common in like 2009 but I don't think that many people are stupid enough to so that now, are they? They really are cracking down on that.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ZombieParts posted:

It's a small city in Mongolia, dude. The good news is it's a minority place so your food selection will be pretty good and a quick google search says you get Italian food places and even a couple of McDonalds. THe bad news is, they will be laid way back. The idea of a good time is to go see Grasslands and mountains. If that's your thing, you'll have a blast. Also, minorities in China will get along really well with you unless you mess with someone's girlfriend. Then you're on a poo poo list that includes several families.

seems like it might be small and isolated but the wide open area of mongolia around it might make you feel like you're on an adventure. I live in a minority area now and I find the monthly excursion to a real city very nice.

I know it's a minor thing but Hohhot is actually in Inner Mongolia, which is in the country of China. Mongolia is an entirely separate country, and after going there earlier this year, is massively insane compared to China. I've never been to Hohhot, though, so I can't really comment on it as a city, but it is DEFINITELY in China.

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 19, 2013

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Smykowski posted:

Mongolian trip report

Mine was somewhat similar.

I flew from Beijing into Ulaanbaatar (sp?) and had a friend pick me up at the airport. One of my friends over the past four years in Tianjin is a Mongolian girl who comes to Tianjin about once every two months for work and she said she'd hook anyone up who came to visit, so of course I decided I needed to go to Mongolia. We saw two accidents on the way back from the airport and she had gotten in an accident earlier that morning going to work. Too bad there isn't a :mongolia: emoticon.

I stayed at some hostel in the city, there was like only one hostel. I had traditional Mongolian food my first night with the girl, and some beers. They were good. The next day we went way out to the countryside and did offroading, which wasn't really like offroading but like the road just kinda ended and we just kept going. Wild horses everywhere, and it was April so there was a ton of snow, and we found a decent group of yurts about two or three hours outside the city, and I got to go in and see it, they were all really nice. Having a cute Mongolian girl talk with them was rather helpful, I think. We then drove a bunch and went to the new Ghangis Khan statue. Pretty cool. Massive, actually. Then went back to Ulaanbaatar.

The next day I museum hopped in the city. One was good, one was...meh. I think it was the Mongolian History Museum that was pretty worthwhile. The natural history museum was a bit rubbish, at least I think it was. Hung out at the hostel that evening and walked around a bit, but almost got hit by cars like every time I went anywhere, so that was rather unnerving.

Next day went to the national park with the dinosaurs, although didn't actually go to where the dinosaurs were for more than a minute or two, we went horseback riding up into the mountains to some monastery and hung out there for a while. It was in Terelj National Park (sp?) Was a rather long trip actually. I'm also quite poor at horseback riding, and the guide was just like "Good luck" and just took off and I don't think my horse really appreciated me as much as most horses appreciate their riders. Don't know if that was something about me or if that was something about the horse, I prefer to think he wouldn't have appreciated anyone, but I can't be certain.

Then we went and I got to play with some falcon and some camel which was kinda cool, but the camel sneezed on me, which was not very sanitary. Then we went clubbing that night and this married couple that the girl knew got wasted and had a huge fight in the middle of the dance floor. It was apparently the PREMIER club in Mongolia, which struck me as kind of cool, as I'm not sure I've ever been to a premier club in any country...ever. I went to Ashton Kutcher's bar in LA once but I got kicked out because i was wearing sandals. Pbbt. All in all, the club was a cracking time, but it was a bit expensive. Mongolia girls, not too shabby, BTW.

Had another day or two where I just walked around, Mongolia was a bit frustrating honestly because I couldn't read the language and they would put pictures outside shops that would suggest they might sell a Coca-Cola or something like this but then you get inside and it is a laundry mat and the lady says something to you and you have absolutely zero idea what she is trying to say.

Anyway, beautiful country, bars were expensive downtown, there is pretty much nothing outside of downtown which is nice coming from Tianjin, food was good, girls were beautiful, transportation was dodgy, experiences were things I could never do in the United States without signing a billion release forms. Would rate it 8/10, meaning I'd love to go back someday and am glad I did it, but have other places higher up on my list of things to do while I'm over here.

edit: I'm trying to get some pictures up for y'all.
edit 2: They are uploading.
edit 3: They finished.
edit 4: Holy poo poo they are huge lol wtf
edit 5: No idea how to make them smaller, here are the links

Out in the middle of nowhere - http://imgur.com/aB15rsd
Ghangis Khan statue - http://imgur.com/7h84Gif
Some yurt, cute little Monglian kid - http://imgur.com/L7EGpGz
I think I was the only expat under the age of 60 in this baller club - http://imgur.com/zuLg6zd
This was the only time my horse was in first place - http://imgur.com/fQt7XP2
Whoa - http://imgur.com/5yPDuKV

I literally just spent 30 minutes of my life getting these pictures up. I need to learn computers.

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it was definitely a good time. A lot of my friends in Tianjin made fun of me for getting a week off in mid-April and going to...Mongolia. They all were pushing southeast Asia and instead I went to Mongolia. No one was making fun of me once they saw my pictures though :smug:

Also, yes, that is what I look like, but no one needs to stalk me, if you come to Tianjin the first round or two is on me so I imagine you would know what I look like at that point regardless. Cheers from San Diego, everyone!