Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Better than thrashing around the "squash court".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

GuestBob posted:

"Golf Course" is a public school euphemism for "Brothel" by the way.
:lol:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

ReindeerF posted:

The boonies is always the best place to live.

Only if you also work there. gently caress commuting.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

VideoTapir posted:

Only if you also work there. gently caress commuting.
With mass transit it's not so bad, but I generally agree. If I didn't live, no joke, a 2 minute walk from the boat pier I'd be in Hell here.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

In Chengdu where he lives the "boonies" are more like the "mountainies"

I live on the very edge of civilization in Chengdu, today was clear so you can almost make out the hillside compound where arglabargel mines for gerunds all day.

If I didn't live above 5 supermarkets and 4 banks I really wouldn't see the point in living in China at all!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

TheBuilder posted:

Just a little unsolicited advice for you guys that marry into the culture - if you have kids, never ever relinquish your child care duties to an in law or relative no matter how many times they offer. In my experience, my in laws (parents and sisters in law) felt I couldn't have any child care skills so they attempted to veil this distrust under the guise of trying to let me work on hobbies or sleep more during the first 3 months of the baby's life.

I let my sister in law stay with my wife in our bed for 6 weeks and she helped feed and care for the baby before she started sleeping through the night. Other times, I'd be holding my daughter after work and the sister in law would sweep in to take her away so I could "play game".

This really started loving with our home dynamic, my relationship with my wife, and the bond that wasn't being formed with my child. My wife was the first to put the brakes on the situation and got her sister the hell out of the house, and things improved tremendously. This is a critical time for bonding with your children, and you won't be able to get that back.

I think my wife's cousin has her family in this situation, and I feel kinda bad for her husband. His mom-in-law has moved in with them from Shanghai to help him and his wife take care of the two kids and their family life is pretty wild. Wife's cousin and her mom basically steam roll him on any and everything, has to fight to have anything to do with the kids. Since his children speak Chinese and he doesn't, he's suspicious that his mother in law is screwing with him. Like, he'll ask his daughter to do something, mom in law and daughter will converse in Chinese for a moment, and then the daughter just stands there awkwardly not doing what he asked her to do. And that's just the stuff that my wife tells me. Worse things are "none of my concern". I don't like going over there because the six or so times we've visited together there's been a big fight between that side of the family.

My mother in law is staying with them while visiting the States and I think that family's awful dynamic has her really worried about how me and my wife will do. Since I'm not supposed to know about any of this, she can't tell her mom that her cousin and her cousin's husband aren't really a good example or indicative of my and my wife's relationship.

It's poisoned the hell out of the two kids (4 and 6) who call my wife "nice mom" and my mother in law "real grandma". Call their dad by his first name.

Bloodnose posted:

But don't deliberate too long. You need to hurry up and get her a Chinese-language book before she goes back to Shanghai.

I'm not 100% sure if you're being sarcastic.

Magna Kaser posted:

日瓦戈医生 is Dr. Zhivago in Chinese. Most Russian and really all Eastern European stuff is easily available in Chinese. I know a lot of people who love them some Milan Kundera.

Thanks. I got it ordered.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 24, 2013

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Hmm... I just got back from a trip to the USA last week on Wednesday but I forgot to register with the PSB when I got back. I just remembered today, and I'd go do it today too, but I'm leaving for Thailand tomorrow morning. Should I even bother going to the cop shop today to register, or just do it when I get back next week?

It's kinda a pain in the balls to go deal with it right now, but I'll do it if it's going to gently caress me over later...

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

MeramJert posted:

Yeah I think I read that 40% of China's fresh water is considered unsafe for contact with humans.

e: Or maybe this was what I was thinking: 28% of China's rivers and lakes are so badly polluted they're considered unfit for even industrial or agricultural use.

I ran across this somewhat surreal image the other day:

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

truavatar posted:

Hmm... I just got back from a trip to the USA last week on Wednesday but I forgot to register with the PSB when I got back. I just remembered today, and I'd go do it today too, but I'm leaving for Thailand tomorrow morning. Should I even bother going to the cop shop today to register, or just do it when I get back next week?

It's kinda a pain in the balls to go deal with it right now, but I'll do it if it's going to gently caress me over later...

I would go now just to get it over with, honestly. It probably doesn't matter but you don't want to be that guy.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Watermelons here
Taste like piss. Then I realize
They were grown in it

Tap water opaque
Inlaws say its bleach. This does
Not ease my mind much

Only 80 today
Better turn the heat on high
Dont want to catch cold

Foot baths are the poo poo
But now I have athletes foot
Little joys turn sour

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

FearCotton posted:

I would go now just to get it over with, honestly. It probably doesn't matter but you don't want to be that guy.

Yeah, I just did it. Probably wouldn't of mattered, but I don't want to rock that boat any more than I have to..

AfroNinja
Oct 24, 2006
I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT EXPLOITING WOMEN BECAUSE I HAVE A SMALL DICK AND DESERVE TO TAKE A BULLET IN THE SKULL

Sogol posted:

I ran across this somewhat surreal image the other day:

Dude WTF is that? Do I even want to know?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

It's probably algae that grows well in water that most other things die in. http://www.walpa.org/waterline/june-2012/algae-can-function-as-indicators-of-water-pollution/

I like this picture:

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 25, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Took me about 10 seconds to realize that was water.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
So there was a riot across the street today (where the grandma rubbed her diseased kid on my son). Apparently the developer keeps adding office space where there was supposed to be open space, so the homeowners were protesting. And then a bunch of dudes showed up and beat them silly with big bamboo sticks.

My real china experience is off the loving charts this trip.

danse macabre
Oct 29, 2010
I am homestaying in Beijing for a month from mid-December. I need 3 nights accommodation from the 12-15th of December, anybody know any good hotels? I have been trawling through tripadvisor but any local knowledge would be good :)

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294212-d1114202-Reviews-GreenTree_Inn_Beijing_Yizhuang_Business_Hotel-Beijing.html

I stayed here like three years ago and found it pretty decent. It's in An Zhen Xi Li (I think that's what it's called) which I found to be a pretty chill neighborhood with cheap places nearby to eat.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I stayed at the Ibis near Sanyuanqiao for half a week, it was comfortable enough and easy to find for cab drivers.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

systran posted:

I stayed here like three years ago ...

Three years in Chinese hotel time is like 15 years in normal hotel wear-and-tear time. I mean, Chinese hotels get hosed up super quickly. The bathrooms go moldy, if there's a carpet, you can bet it will be stained, etc.
Even at the five star hotels.

My tactic when staying in a Chinese hotel is to NEVER stay anywhere more than two years old, and aim for within a year old. The amount of development going on everywhere in the country actually makes this super easy.

Note: I may have high standards, I also like to minimize the total possible number of guest butt cheeks to have sat down on my hotel's toilet seat.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Rabelais D posted:

...NEVER stay anywhere more than two years old...

Your fear of Oriental butts withstanding, the newness of hotels is a pretty good thing to keep in mind but you also have to remember that some of the newest places might have opened before half of the stuff is in place - it's a judgement call really.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Yeah I figured more people would post better stuff, but I just wanted to throw out my experience to give him some options. Definitely BEWARE.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It can take six months for formaldehyde gas to stop coming out of cheap plywood.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Rabelais D posted:

Note: I may have high standards, I also like to minimize the total possible number of guest butt cheeks to have sat down on my hotel's toilet seat.

I'll just assume you mean guest slippers. Surely they just squat on the toilet seat, sitting on it will let you catch a cold or get a disease.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

SB35 posted:

I'll just assume you mean guest slippers. Surely they just squat on the toilet seat, sitting on it will let you catch a cold or get a disease.

Sadly I fear the newly affluent middle classes are no longer averse to bum on seat contact.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

AfroNinja posted:

Dude WTF is that? Do I even want to know?

That is an untouched photograph of a lake in AnHui. Very painterly wouldn't you say?

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
I'm thinking about moving to Shenyang, Liaoning with my girlfriend (soon to be fiance, shh) for a few months at some point in the next year. I'm senior level systems engineer in the states with a ton of experience in Microsoft and VMware. How can I find an IT job in China? I'd like to pick up some IT focused Mandarin which I figure could be good for my career.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
What does "I'm a sunshine girl from China" mean?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

El_Matarife posted:

I'm thinking about moving to Shenyang, Liaoning with my girlfriend (soon to be fiance, shh) for a few months at some point in the next year. I'm senior level systems engineer in the states with a ton of experience in Microsoft and VMware. How can I find an IT job in China? I'd like to pick up some IT focused Mandarin which I figure could be good for my career.

You can definitely find a job with that kind of background, I just don't know if any would want someone for only a few months. I guess you could just ignore that detail?

Do you speak any Mandarin at all? I don't know how Shenyang rolls, but in Chengdu most big Chinese IT companies require foreigners speak at least some Chinese and if they really want you they'll stick you in an intensive course for a while. There are a lot of foreign-run companies or joint ventures here, though, that use English as a lingua franca.

Neusoft is one of the biggest software companies in China and they're HQ'd in Shenyang and I'm sure there are some other IT stuff over there. You could also try looking at LinkedIn, companies that want to recruit foreigners use it a lot.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

We've worked with Neusoft and if their software development process & quality is any indication of what kind of company they are, you don't want to work there.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

DontAskKant posted:

She probably won't swallow.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

El_Matarife posted:

If you're only here for a few months, I'm not sure if companies will go through the effort of getting a work visa for you, since those are 1 year (maybe 6 months in some cases?) and take a month to process anyway. If you were here for longer, there's a chance you could be the white IT manager who bosses around the Chinese sysadmins at a multinational.

I'm not sure what the career opportunities are like in Shenyang, Wikipedia makes it sound like there are mostly Japanese/Korean expats. Your chances might be better in Dalian, but I'm not sure how flexible you are about where in Liaoning you'll be staying.

As for IT-focused Mandarin, I don't really hear much of it in Microsoft. A lot of specific English technical terms and corporate jargon are just dropped directly into the sentences, and then maybe Mandarin is used to explain the concepts behind those terms (as non-technical analogies).

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

LentThem posted:

If you're only here for a few months, I'm not sure if companies will go through the effort of getting a work visa for you, since those are 1 year (maybe 6 months in some cases?) and take a month to process anyway. If you were here for longer, there's a chance you could be the white IT manager who bosses around the Chinese sysadmins at a multinational.

Technical writing and copy editing might be a thing for the short term?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

GuestBob posted:

:holymoley:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DontAskKant posted:

GuestBob posted:

5'd

Zengbo
Jun 25, 2006

I pity the fool who messes with my tea!

El_Matarife posted:

Neusoft is the biggest and best place to get IT jobs in Shenyang. The official company policy is an English-Speaking workplace (those most of the Employees don't ever really use or speak English) The management (at least from 3-4 years ago) all took English classes at the school I was working in. I would also recommend contacting Michelin Shenyang and HuaChen-BMW they are always looking for more foreign talent to bolster their factories in Shenyang.

Hope you can come, Shenyang is very under-represented goon-wise.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

El_Matarife posted:

Are you 100% about this plan? Moving to China isn't something to do on a lark, especially if you don't speak any Chinese. I really doubt you'd become functional in a few months. Mandarin IT is something that a ton of Chinese people can do, and they often speak decent English in addition to perfect Mandarin. I'm sure your skills would be good to someone but why China? The quality of life isn't great. I would really think hard about why you're going to China as opposed to anywhere else in the world.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Shenyang is apparently a big IT outsourcing location, as featured in this famous case.

Since you're senior and have a ton of experience in major multinationals, you should have no problem. Don't listen to Arglebargle. You'll find a great supervisory and possibly executive position if you try hard enough, and the quality of life will be amazing on a six figure salary in Shenyang. Shame of it is that most luxuries are a lot more expensive in China than in the west. You'll still be able to dominate a middle class Chinese lifestyle though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

One of my American coworkers on a 6 figure salary used to joke that he would get a harem if he was transferred to our Dandong factory. Actually I don't really think he was joking

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
DID SOMEBODY SAY DANDONG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22MoH8GuQ6U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bloodnose posted:

Since you're senior and have a ton of experience in major multinationals, you should have no problem. Don't listen to Arglebargle. You'll find a great supervisory and possibly executive position if you try hard enough, and the quality of life will be amazing on a six figure salary in Shenyang. Shame of it is that most luxuries are a lot more expensive in China than in the west. You'll still be able to dominate a middle class Chinese lifestyle though.

It's cool, if you really can find a position like this then go for it of course. If it's going to be three months of Lost in Translation esque purgatory then think hard, is what I'm saying.