Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

Trammel posted:

At this point, the "we don't want long term foreign immigrants" subtext, isn't really a subtext. I'm left wondering, should I just take the hint, and make plans to gently caress off? Should I be coldly applying a cost/benefit calculation to the length of time I live here, knowing that I can never stay?

I think this will change within the next decade or so. Once China sees its GDP start to decrease and social expenditures become a larger and larger part of government spending due to their aging population they are going to scramble to try and fix this, and an easy way to stop some of the bleeding is to relax immigration laws and get some productivity and tax revenue from foreign workers.

It would make more sense if they started significantly preparing for the problem now, but well it's China and all. Just look at Japan if you want to see what's going to happen over the next few decades in China. Anyway my fingers are crossed but for now foreigners are hosed in this department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

Bloodnose posted:

Rationalizing is a fun thing for cool people to do.

Even if you saved 100% of your salary. Bringing back $15,000 after a year of work is not a lot of fun.

If you save 15k in a year you're doing better than 75% (actually probably more like 90% but I'm too lazy to find the right statistics) of Americans. How far removed are you from how people actually live that you think coming away with 15k after expenses is low?

Arakan fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 16, 2014

Arakan
May 10, 2008

SIAS isn't like a real school though, it's a bunch of religious nutjobs living in their commune near the airport preachin about Jesus

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Have you considered the problem may be that you're a grown rear end man obsessed with animes, figurines, and skateboarding?

Arakan fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 7, 2014

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Three weeks is way too long for Sichuan, it's pretty much just Chengdu and pandas unless you want to go to the Tibetan plateau. I would go to Yunnan too while you're at it cause it's the best province but it's gonna be hot as balls there in August so maybe not.

oh there's also that big wooden buddha somewhere which is good for a day trip i guess

Arakan fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 21, 2014

Arakan
May 10, 2008

what if you're autistic and can't talk to other people in person?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

that owns i wonder how many people he will trick

Arakan
May 10, 2008

you shouldnt try to convince rich people not to waste their money though, how else are we going to get it from them?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

What if we use the 6000 year old earth theory

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

making GBS threads is not permissible on the green, in the sandtraps, or in the hole.

Well now that's just illogical, where else can one poo poo??

Arakan
May 10, 2008

:vince:

Arakan
May 10, 2008

I mean HK is not very big. Imagine how many street making GBS threads stories we would have to read if mainlanders were free to travel there whenever they wanted.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

If it's year long it costs 800 I'm pretty sure, but less than a year is 400. I got an 11 month one for 400, seemed to be the best way to go about it.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Put on your best smiling white face and just say sorry at the airport. It's only 5 days, you probably won't even have to pay.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Did you use wechat or momo? Calling rooms is so 2010.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Well uhh, if it's obvious from your profile picture that you are foreign you will usually just get a bunch of friend requests asking you if you need the 妹妹服务, which is what it's called when they send hookers to your hotel room. If you're looking on your own then profile names with 'mm' in them are usually a good place to start, others will be blatantly obvious with profile pictures of half naked girls with some Chinese text over them about the service and a phone number.

If you don't speak Chinese this is probably harder than I'm making it sound though, and you'll get overcharged.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

jerichojx posted:

Does using the international wechat version make a difference?

No, but if you're just using wechat it might be hard, use momo to look for profiles. The ads on momo will be really obvious, and they will have a wechat number or phone number. Add the wechat number then negotiate on there.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

I hope that job is like 10 hours a week if it's only paying 10k in Shanghai.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Can we go back to the guy offering a $10/hour job in Shanghai wanna hear more about this great opportunity

e::mad: ^^

Arakan
May 10, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPGHjf2GqMQ&t=68s

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

My last trip to the hospital here ended up with me being sent to see the gynecologist (I don't have a vagina) who didn't know what vitamins are.

Well if your balls weren't so little maybe this wouldn't have happened?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Ceciltron posted:

I probably wouldn't work again in China though!

Just incase you were wondering you can't legally work in China again since you never went through with suing for release so the decision has been made for you.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Ceciltron posted:

That doesn't make much sense. Doesn't it lapse after the contract expires? Also, wouldn't this mean she would have a foreign teacher spot pretty much occupied but unfilled? How confusing!

Sigh, no one ever listens to me. It doesn't matter if your visa and RP expire and you start the process all over again for a new Z visa with a different company. It doesn't matter how much time has gone by. If you have ever worked in China before on a Z visa you need a release letter (推荐信) from your previous employer to apply for a new visa. Without it you cannot enter China on a Z.

I made this point like five times when you were doing all this before since it seemed you wanted to come back to China. If you want to work in China again your options are to sue your previous employer for release or commit a federal crime and 'lose' your passport (though I have no idea if a new passport number even works anymore).

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

I don't know if I ever got one and I've gotten Z's from two companies. I worked in ESL from 2009 until 2011 and then my contract ended, went back to the US for two years and got a new Z in late 2013 working for a different company. Is the release letter something that the company will normally do for you and send to SAFEA or whatever?

I don't know anything about sending it directly to SAFEA, but your new company needs it as part of the documents they present to SAFEA to apply for your Foreign Experts Work Permit, which you then use to apply for a Z visa in your country. If you completed your previous contract then by law your previous company is required to provide this. Maybe your new company just got it without you knowing? All I had to do was give my current employer the phone number of my old school and they took care of obtaining it within a day, I never saw the document at all. So maybe your new company contacted your old company and just got it directly, which I assume is what normally happens.

But aren't you working a non-teaching job? If your company had to apply for an Alien Employment License instead of Foreign Expert Work Permit then I have no idea about that.

Tom Smykowski posted:

I think he means if you leave before your contract is up?

No, you need it either way. The problem is when you breach your contract your employer is then not required by law to provide this document.

e: That is if you don't complete the terms of the breach. Most contracts have a stipulation that you have to pay 10k RMB or whatever if you decide to quit. If you do that then they are still required to provide you with release.

Arakan fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 12, 2014

Arakan
May 10, 2008

http://www.doc88.com/p-693163600055.html

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Does anyone know anything about online banking here? I set it up with the USB and everything, but my debit card has no name or CVV 3 digit number on the back, just one card number on the front. I want to buy plane tickets, but when I go to pay it asks for card number, name and CVV number. Is there something on the online banking portal I need to do? Bank of China if it matters.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Well I would like to buy it directly from Mongolian Airlines (miat.com), but pretty sure I'm hosed in that regard. Then I tried ctrip but selecting a BoC card did not give me any choices, it required all that info that my card doesn't have. Is there another website for plane tickets I could do that online transfer thing on?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Just so I don't gently caress something up...qunar is just a compilation of agencies and I pick one of them to sell me the tickets? I seem to be getting like 500 rmb cheaper prices than on elong (which I found out can do the bank transfer payment). Is there something I'm missing or do they usually have the best prices? And do I pickup the tickets at check in or do I need to get them from the agent at some point prior?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Alright, cool thanks for the info. Yea, I think it's cheaper cause I can book Mongolian Airlines through one agent on the way there and then use a different agent and get an Air China flight on the way back. All the other sites I had to use the same airline for both. No clue how two one ways are cheaper than a round trip but whatever.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

did your boss ever pay you?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Yeah, I guessed as much. For a while in late June, gmail would work on wifi but I guess that's been fixed.

Gmail works fine on phones, just not on computers.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

She probably made the novice mistake of acting (probably honestly) like she liked Canada too much. Chinese people need to act cold and aloof to get visas anywhere.

If you don't have a job, don't own any property, and probably don't have any money you aren't getting a visa regardless.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Zophar posted:

What's a regular tourist visa? Is there something different from the L Visa?

All you need is a return flight ticket and hotel booking confirmation to get a tourist visa. The hotel confirmation doesn't even have to be real, or you can just cancel it before you go. None of this invitation stuff is necessary.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

why would you use wechat aside from picking up chicks

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Some cultures are better than others

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Jeza posted:

Has anybody here got any idea if you can get an L visa with just proof of departing flight and hostel booking?

Yes, that's all you need. It works even if the bookings are fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arakan
May 10, 2008

quote:

That you have a residence outside the United States, as well as other binding social or economic ties, that will ensure your return abroad at the end of your visit

This is the only part of the checklist that actually matters. If you girlfriend doesn't have money or property in her name good luck