Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you want to save money sign up for a block of data plan by texting the carrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Rabelais D, you in Hong Kong? We are setting up a DnD group or bi weekly gaming group in HK, you should come hang out with us. my email is [username][dot][spam] Gmail

We are planning on going Thursday night fill in the blank http://www.fillintheblank.hk/ in wanchai 7pm.

caberham fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 25, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
SB35, can you just stick this part to your OP with a picture of a hard bed or something? Oh and add this by Bloodnose

Bloodnose posted:

Never judge anything by star rating in China. There is horrible star inflation. Never stay lower than four stars and you probably won't get a soft bed for less than seven.

This this and this. The official tourism board have a ridiculous "A" grading system. Some places like the ORIGINAL HANG ZHOU West Lake are AAAAA, while the horrible knock off (but still acredited) GUANDONG West Lake are AAA. I don't even want to know what's A grade. Or a B grade :downsrim:

Finding a Place to Stay in China

With it's high population density and cheap transportation networks, everyone is always moving around and going on some sort of trip in the country. Which means everyone trying to find a place to eat and ultimately a place to sleep at the end of the night. You have migrants looking for a job, rural students taking a toefl test, travelling business men, Teachers on a visa run, tourists, mistresses and adulterers, temporary relocation, etc etc etc.

If you want to be a ~~**free spirited back packer**~~ and not get tied down with reservations then this part doesn't affect you. If you are looking for a place to stay in a city for a few days, read ahead. But during the major holidays, rooms can fill up in no time in China. It's not like Bangkok where there are a string of places for you to pick in Khao San.

Hostels - Stay away from Green Tree Inn in Wudaokao That place scammed a goon.

Western style hostels are great for first timers in China. The staff speaks decent English, you can meet like minded tourists and mingle around the common room. And the mattresses are soft. Prices are hit and miss. Book through hostelworld or other hostel portals.

Pro
  • Easily accessible
  • Fun Crowd
  • Helpful staff
  • Easy access to book tours or sight seeing trips. Usually it's no nonsense.
  • Food, pancakes, pizza, burgers for break fast

Con
  • Haughty bums who call themselves world travelers or citizen of the world :fuckoff:
  • Chance of bumping into that obnoxious tourist - "I'm from New York, and where can I get Chinese food. Oh and I'm tired so it has to be 2 blocks from here" :fuckoff:
  • The common room or dorms can get noisy, it's like a Thai full moon party all over again :toot:
  • Rooms are hit and miss. Sometimes the rates can spike up like crazy, even double at the busier spots :iiam:
  • You end up eating western hostel food or some really generic place around the block without trying some of the nicer Chinese places
  • Some hostels don't provide towels. You need to bring/rent your own. Ditto with toiletries!
  • If you end up having a goon meet playing Game of Thrones the board game in the lobby, endless people will badger you and disrupt your precious gaming time.

Couchsurfing

Are you non Chinese? Land in China is spacious unlike Hong Kong so maybe you can try couch surfing and meet some interesting people. But it's couch surfing so you don't want to be that guy who just uses a persons place for a free hotel room (some hosts are ok with that) - depends if you want to meet Chinese folks and do a cultural sharing experience. You don't spend money on lodging but you would probably be hanging out with a host and all.

Pro
  • You chance to meet MULTIPLE REAL LIVE CHINESE PEOPLE (reference from LAN thread).
  • You don't really pay for the room.
  • In smaller towns or rural areas, hosts are great help. If you are with your hosts language issues don't apply! Don't worry about being scammed! (unless the host is a jerk)
  • It's not a typical sight seeing experience. It can be way cooler and more personal. Or...

Con
  • You are staying with internet strangers, so it depends on the dynamic between you and your host
  • You might not spend money on the room itself, but you probably would pitch in a beer, a meal or some other thing. Which might end up costing more than the room
  • Since you are staying at someone else's hospitality, that means sleeping on the floor, couch, or a really really hard mattress
  • Your alone free time will probably reduced and your itinerary changed.
  • Unless you are a dashingly tall handsome goon called Pompous Rhombous and make the host fall in love with you, you don't dicate the duration of your stay.
  • Your Host is actually a serially killer or rapist with a ham beast fetish.

Goon couch
It's worse than staying at a couch surfer's home, it's encrusted in cheeto dust! Actually you are lucky if there is an extra couch, most of the time it's just sleeping on a unsweeped floor. They will make forum references, show you their hentai collection, or wake you up after a long night of goon drinking and watch a stuttering football match with their lovely VPN. Then they make you cheer for the hurricanes when you just want to sleep a bit more :ohdear: Serious talk, all goons in person I have met are cool and I appreciate their hospitality. Afroninja has a swank Bachelor pad that just oozes with cool.

Air BnB
I don't have experience with this. From what I have heard from my friends and the people I have hosted, it's basically just renting a room from someone. Great for large families on a budget or people who just want to try to stay in different places. Can't tell you much on this.

Hotels - Chain - geared towards the China goon, or people living in China

One important note for all places.

Rabelais D posted:

Pick a newly opened one (2011 or newer), any hotel more than two years old in China tends to get hosed up with mold, weird stains on the furniture, etc.
Oh, yeah...and great informative post Caberham. You're right in that all those budget hotels are basically people loving 24/7, with thin walls to boot...

During the day time there are 4-6 hour specials that ranges from 40~80 rmb. The noise is never bad though, I'm the one who is always noisier :downsrim:

These are no non-sense chain hotels for you to sleep. Really plain and boring with hard mattresses but are plentiful and all over China in different locations. They all have a hot water kettle for you to cook your instant noodles and some of the rooms allow smoking. The rooms them selves may be renovated old housing blocks or new buildings. What's cool about them is that the rates are pretty much locked in year round and can get much cheaper than your average hotel or small time fake 3 star hotel.

What's not cool is that some of them are just fronts for people to bring prostitutes, or places for people to meet up and gently caress. But I suppose that's what people do in hotels anyway. And if you want to book online, it's only available in Chinese (you can ask me for help). So that's a bit of inconvenience. If you don't want to pay a deposit, check in lasts until 6pm, but you can call the hotel ahead to hold onto your room.

So which one to pick? It's really a personal preference. They all have hard mattresses.
  • http://www.homeinns.com/ - slightly sketchier, the cheapest of the bunch (anecdotal)
  • http://www.7daysinn.cn/ - affiliated with best western I think?
  • http://www.jinjianginns.com/ - Guestbob's pick, places tend to be newer. I'm ambivalent, hardest mattress ever (anecdotal)
  • http://www.super8.com.cn/ - They beat hanting in location. They even had one in Wenzhou :laffo: English website has a listings of Chinese hotels.
  • http://www.huazhu.com/ - has in room wifi. pick this one, use my point card for a bigger discount/2pm check out/free fried noodles for breakfast! Just don't pull a no-show. I will get my membership cancelled.

Under the huazhu group, they even have bare basic single rooms with shared bathrooms for an even cheaper cost. But do note that the older/seedier places might be badly kept, cigarette burn holes, moldy floors, CRT tv's - trashy for the older Chinese clientele. If you just want a cheap place to crash without getting robbed or disturbed it's ok. For the younger first time tourists in China pick a few hostels - I will get there in a bit. When I'm in China I just go out and get trashed/party with locals/local goons so I'm not that picky.

Pro
  • It's cheap and easily accessible through a website
  • You get all the Privacy you want
  • Plenty of rooms to pick and locations in the same city, did I say it's easily manageable through a website?
  • It's just you and the room, and an elevator, you get a decent amount of space.
  • Sometimes you can smoke inside the rooms or :420:
  • Day time specials! 4-6 hours for less than a RMB 100!
  • You like collecting pokemon cards for adults :downsrim:
  • Electronic key cards! And Towels! And Toiletries! Buy condoms in the front desk!
  • It's totally OK and super Chinese to wear dress shoes and pajamas in the lobby for better internet reception.

Con
  • People go there to gently caress, it's nothing hygenic or gross, just "old". The newer places are OK.
  • Bad luck, bad roll. Your room is gross as gently caress. To avoid fights over refund you can check out the room first, then pay. I don't do that because All seasons are great.
  • You need to know how to read Chinese to make online bookings. That means have a Chinese associate do this for you. If you ask Caberham nice enough, he might.
  • Mattresses are hard and the room reeks of smoke
  • Mattresses are hard and the room reeks of smoke
  • There's no helpful front desk and you are just checking in on your own
  • The cheaper hotels are 內賓 (domestic guests) only. Even ex-colonial harmonized Hong Kong Chinese are not allowed :china:

But wait goons, there's the best option to staying

:siren:Caberham's pick : Hanting All seasons:siren:

This specific chain is an upscale version of hanting. It's super comfortable with wifi inside the rooms, rain type showers, soft mattresses, individual packaged soaps and shampoos, flat screen TV's, and just rocks. It's hilton/4 star quality It's a shanzai (fake) Hilton for around 300 RMB/night, just take it for the bed. Sometimes if you can land a special it's even cheaper like 175/night which makes everything more awesome. Plus the rates don't fluctuate like hostels.

I stayed there so many times to gain Platinum status and have reduced discounts, 2pm late check out, free breakfast (:barf:). If any goons need a place to book and have trouble, PM me and I will see how I can assist. But that means giving an internet stranger your personal details and passport number. Since I know and met half of you guys in person it should be ok :ohdear: Only problem with all seasons is the number of branches. You can't choose as many spots as the regular chains.

:siren:Caberham's pick : Hanting All seasons:siren:

"Nicer international chain hotels"

I'm super jealous if you have a corporate rate. :saddowns: It's priced internationally but you better expect top dollar service. Some of the Branches like the Jing An Hilton or the hotels in the older buildings are not as good and to me are a bit pricier but I think this hotel talk is more along the likes of trip advisor/booking.com or whatever real hotel talk.

caberham fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 25, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm appending it. Calling it the hilton is a bit too much. No pool, no gym, no conference room, poo poo-tastic breakfast of only fried noodles, no fancier concierge etc. For me though, I just want that soft soft bed. And the internet. Heck I saved my company even more money by opting out of the all seasons and staying at a regular one so that my co worker can just chain smoke.

Going to write another China traveling post. Maybe on cell phones? Yeah. Going to shill for a xiaomi. wechat needs more gooooooooons

caberham fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 25, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Smart Phones in China and You! 2013 Summer. Just get a Xiaomi, half the cost of flagship phones, RMB 2000

https://www.xiaomi.com

Smart phones rock. In addition to the amazing translation, maps, chat apps, you can take random pictures of things where ever you go! In 2013, even the basic smart phones do an amazing job and get you your chat/map/browser app. What's important is signing up for China UNICOM for its faster 3G network. Hopefully China will get LTE sometime in the future. For now, 3G is all you got. Phone talk, yes everyone has the newest iphone or samsung galaxy S[something]. Or the HTC or whatever,

but the best cell phone to get is the xiaomi. As of Now, 2S is the best. Price is 2000 RMB. If that's really too much, then get the 1500 2A version (rebadged last year). I'm using the 2A, and it's decently fast already but you can never get enough speed for your cell phone.

Wtf is the xiaomi and why is there an "x"

In short, it uses the same guts as a quad core samsung galaxy s4 (no octo) with a removable battery of 2300ma. The charge lasts forever and batteries are cheap. It's android based so that means you can use your google apps and google play to install apps.

I know lots of people are apprehensive to the jump and so was I. Once you get it though, it's nice to be able to text people blazingly fast with swype text, join chat groups, use browsers and install maps. And check email.

Best of all, install Pleco Optical Character Reader as a backup character reader.

caberham fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 25, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm a CSer and a goon as well. I'm normally the host, and have never crashed on other people's couch. I have waaaaaaaaaaay more goon cred than CS cred. But too much goon cred means people think I'm creepy :smith:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

PlesantDilemma posted:

Hello thread!

I will be in Hong Kong as a tourist from July 7 - 10th. I read the 'my goon city' post by Caberham and it sounds pretty cool. I have a question on language:

Awesome I should be in town. Send me an email and we will grab a bite. Just Wondering if you have ever been to East Asia before? If you can bring me Buffalo Jerky that would be super duper awesome. Or help me carry some inane things if I buy stuff from amazon :shobon: I love USA :911:

quote:

Any tips for the American who speaks only English? I was planning on going to the big markets, Womens Market and Temple Street, where I assume English is passable for haggling. What other places are good? Where should I avoid? Any useful hand gestures I should use/not use?

Just don't flip the bird :downsrim: Remember it's a very popular tourist market with lots of foot traffic. Regular el cheapo markets tactics apply. Don't go to the first store you see, walk around, don't look to enthusiastic, don't fall for the "IT'S ONLY 20 US DOLLARS", and don't be a dick if the deal goes sour. Most important of all, be prepared to walk out and don't get pressured/guilt trip. I'm not so sure what kind of things you want to buy though.

quote:

I was hoping to give Snowden a high five while I was over there :911: but it seems I'll have to find another way to celebrate freedom. Can I get Cuban cigars in Hong Kong?

You can fake an emergency in the USA consulate then laugh at the missing documents they have. Real freedom is walking around the streets with a very easily identifiable alcoholic beverage in your hand. Preferably a bottle of Bourbon. In fact, ask some police officers for some directions, take a photo and pose with them while sipping a bottle of bourbon. Compliment on their uniforms or whatever :gay:

quote:

And whats the word on getting fitted for a suit? I've googled around and I think 4 days is not enough time.

Think lots of the cheaper 1000 hkd range suits are actually contracted to the mainland. For fancier and upscale suits, I have to ask my super fashionable goon lawyer Beefeater1980. I normally just wear Star Wars/Addidas Collaboration t-shirts. Or Florida State University t-shirts.

Hope you have a good time!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I always forget to bring my China phone or CHina sim card. For me you can just buy a regular unicom 3G card at the corner store and put money into it when you run out?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

PlesantDilemma posted:

I have never been to Asia before, or really out of the USA. I couldn't find buffalo jerky so I will have to find another way to bond with you and become true internet bros. And I'm leaving for Manila tomorrow with friends but my HK trip is solo.

Ohhhhh. Never out of USA and off to Asia? Well Manila will be an "interesting stop". HK is not that crazy in terms of its bar scene though.

quote:

My plan for HK was to beat up the statue of Bruce Lee but drunkenly hanging out with doofus cops is better!

There was a buffalo jerky guy but now there's a beef jerky guy

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543854

Heck You can bring twinkies and I will worship you. Or just come :shobon:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Sorry to disrupt visa chat. But has anyone been to Thames Town near Shanghai?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thames_Town

Oh and if someone can summarize the visa situation and send it to SB35 that would be great. I'm combing over the thread and will write a "booking plane tickets" travel guide. Hopefully PRo PRC can come back from being probated and write a train ticket guide :shobon:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you don't like the cold, I would avoid China during the winter. Even here in the South Guangdong and Guangxi the weather is horrible. It's not biting cold like the north but the high humidity is miserable. Clothes won't dry on their own and dew/mould just festers every where :gross: The domestic beach destination San Ya doesn't warm up at all and is bad as well :smith:

Oh and the AQI just goes up through the roof :negative:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The mountains in Guilin/Yangshuo are nice. The area is really small and besides the mountains, you can ride a bike along the rivers and take a raft down, or take a bus to the longji rice terraces. Since it's winter time, the terraces are barren :smith:

YangShuo Black and White 2 by caberham, on Flickr

The food is amazing too, spring for the guilin vermicilli 桂林米粉 (gui lin mifen).

Guilin is over developed mass tourism and all the rock caverns are super cheesy in weird coloured lights. Yangshuo is like the relax foreigner hangout town but is rapidly changing. Xingping is where you can take a picture of the 20 RMB note. But that was 3 years ago, and in China that means a long long time. Nowadays everything might be over developed and if you want a more relaxing tour, try going to the smaller towns out of Yang Shuo. You can walk around all the towns by foot easily. Or rent a bike. It's really really small. Getting to the other towns, just take a public bus. The only hassle is going there from the airport.

I also went to a forest called Stone forest (石頭森林) shitou senlin.

YangShuo Black and White 6 by caberham, on Flickr

It's supposedly old ruins of a fort with a few rock foundations. The sight itself was not really interesting but getting there was fun. Riding behind a motorcycle to some old village, and having a village meal (total rip off). And being lead by an 80 year man around and seeing the quiet country side of Guangxi.

YangShuo Black and White 7 by caberham, on Flickr

I had a blast, but go during Spring or summer. Winter is too cold, wet and uninsulated. If you actually go north you can get indoor heat! Harbin ice festival would be my place, it's fun to see locals dressed half as much as the tourists. My ideal location would be Thailand during winter, the weather is just perfect without being too hot

:siren:365 days, where in China is the best place to go?:siren:

Caberham's Sky Palace of goondom.

Tone mapped of my window by caberham, on Flickr

Winter here is time for HK style BBQ

Tai Po BBQ (9 of 10) by caberham, on Flickr

MeramJert posted:

The ideal option is to shed yourself of ugly mandarin and adopt a nice southern accent.

Can you speak Cantonese yet? Fai D La (that means hurry up).

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You mean beef dip right? :iaam: But there's a LAN thread, you might want to check it out.

pentyne posted:

That guy's got 27 probations and 3 bans almost all for similar histrionics in D&D threads. Discussion isn't his priority but just to come in and cast everyone as vehement racists for discussing cultural differences.

whoa :aaa: Please don't get banned, SE asian travel thread is informative!

caberham fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 10, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
PRO PRC this is the regular China thread. If you type Chinese, do add the pinyin or translation, not everyone understands Chinese :ohdear:

ReindeerF posted:

SHANDONG BEEF ROLL :words:

Oh, I was initially confused by what you were asking. Sorry, thought you were mad at Thai's again or something. Rolled Beef is 牛肉捲餅 ,niu rou juan bing, shandong beef roll is 山東捲餅, shan dong niu rou juan bing.

quote:

I don't know what LAN is, heh.

It's in the OP, basically, a place for circle jerk casual posting - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549109

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to update the HK post *soon*... In the mean time, enjoy this souvenir in Hong Kong Disney!

Only 954,300 HKD, which is only 750,000 RMB! Wow the savings :toot:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You can try inner Mongolia, Hohot. Kenner has been around the country and did a visa run to Mongolia, he can tell you more. RocknRoll has been to Hohot.

I heard the North East is really nice during the summer,dry without being too hot; but it might be too close to Korea :shrug: Best bet is to come over to Hong Kong again. Or we can meet in Shanghai/Beijing for the weekend and do a goon meet there :neckbeard:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey goon, Shanghai is a great city! I go there every 2 months on average and we have a few goons there. It's a fun crowd :glomp:

You really should :siren:CHECK THE OP:siren: There's abundant information about the Holiday structure schedules and VPN recommendations.

As for house hunting Shanghai, it can be really subjective. People are successful to find a house if they have a Chinese friend/speak Chinese themselves/patient themselves whereas some people just have an agent to go look for houses to avoid the hassles. If your company is in charge then just have them handle things?

Holiday wise, Shanghai is a great hub and much better than Beijing. There's the no frills budget Spring Airlines which can take you to different Bangkok for cheap. Or China Eastern. Lots of options to go to South East Asia. Cheap, but expect delays :ohdear: Airfare wise, going to Bangkok from Shanghai and then switching a air asia flight/Nok air to the region for surfing is the cheapest.

You can try Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia or all wherever but China Eastern is slowly building up its routes. Air Asia actually does a Hangzhou to Kuala Lumpur for peanuts from time to time. In general, if you keep your eyes sharp, and book 2 months in advance you can snag a 2000-3000 RMB inclusive flight to Bali. Or you can fly domestic to Hainan and do surfing there! Or Taiwan.

I do like Shanghai being flat and bikable but that's my only gripe about the city. It's hard to access out doorsy stuff. You can surf, hike up mountains or hit the beach here in Hong Kong :smug: Anyways, good luck!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you ever come live here, you will find the government bureaucratic and incompetent. But don't smuggle in a thousand bibles.

When it comes to customs I know people smuggled in airsoft guns and other illegal stuff.:confused:

Big Alf posted:

Can anyone suggest a hotel in Shanghai near The Bund/Railway station?

Somewhere clean and modern would be great, pool would be a bonus. Views of The Bund/River would be a super bonus.

Hanting all seasons is no good? If you want to pay, there's the Fairmont by the bund, or peninsula.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

BadAstronaut posted:

Bureaucratic and incompetent? Sounds like South Africa (where I'm originally from) and I doubt China is doing a worse job than them. Other than this weekend story.

Please come to hong Kong and make/bring me piles of Bolton!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Talking poo poo about Japanese is similar to ANC brownie points. A safer professional response is your eagerness for team work and doing lots of free overtime

Anyways bring me bilton. I never knew how it was spelt, my old room mate was from jo berg and brought me lots of it. :sun:

Man I want to go to south Africa one day.

Cuatal posted:

How do you get to the bus to Hong Kong from the Shenzhen train station? How much does the bus cost to Hong Kong for foreigners, is it round trip?

Thanks!

Aiya read the OP. Merm jert pretty much listed everything. As for prices they go from 50~ 75 depending if you are crossing over to hk island or not. Round trip costs about 150%.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man I'm sooo done with American suburbs even though it's a paradise to live in and raise kids.

I need to be back in my cloistered shoe box of hk and a subway

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Jian lan qun is good baijiu without breaking the bank. Very smooth but you are suppose to drink micro shots of it.actually don't chug any baijiu at all.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Drinking chat : American and Euro companies can get into frat mode and friendly initiate you to trashdom. Sometimes bosses want you to get you out of your shell and do dumb poo poo together.

Depends on boss and company culture. I know Euro dudes who love pink massage parlour initations or bankers or.power lawyers drinking scotch or fine wine to socialize after work (seems after work but more networking)

And guys if you type Chinese,write the ping yin not everyone knows Chinese in this thread. Stick the weird codeswitching to the other thread.

I'm looking at you pro prc :neckbeard:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

MeramJert posted:

:lol:
How ironic.

Rawwr smart phone auto complete

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you like city stuff then you can try shum Shui po and go get electronics and try the tofu pudding store opened since the 50s. There's hk Disney if that's your thing.

If urban city stuff is getting boring,.then go to the out lying islands and go for a hike. Or bike ride from the new territories to the Shenzhen border.

Oh there are also quite a handful of still inhabited old tolo tribe and hakka village houses.

Actually climb Sharpe peak. It's my favorite hike in sai kung. Ask the hk goons to hang out. I'm busy in Maine and won't be back until August 10

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm Chinese! Nobody in Maine thinks I speak English:cheeky:

Hit up your local goons they are a fun bunch. Afro ninja and gang in Shanghai, a a people's liberation army battalion in Beijing

caberham fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 9, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If only you made a pizza then you wouldn't be in this situation :smug:

Anyone here tried the Hong mi? It's only 800 RMB http://www.xiaomi.com/hongmi. dual sim CDMA/GSM, Dual core, Media tek 1.5 Ghz with 4.7" IPS.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's 3G HSDPA or bust in China. EDGE is too slow for wechat and photo upload. Uploading takes 6 seconds, and downloading photos takes 3. Ugh. Forums are choppy too :smith:

TheBuilder posted:

I've got in laws visiting the US in one month. They don't speak a lick of English , and their Mandarin is spotty at best. Any ideas or hints for getting them to their connecting flight in ORD? I'm going to make them an English/Chinese phrase card.

If the inlaws have taken a plane or are use to air travel/transfers it's not too hard to transfer. It really depends on how travel savy they are. MY GIRLFRIEND's parents don't speak too much English but they are pretty smart on the road, taking trains/buses/figuring stuff out on their own.

Make sure they know how to read the flight number off their e-ticket

Writing a phase card for them is a nice gesture of course. Nowadays most flights will probably have a few Mainland Chinese/ people who speak Mandarin flying. I was so upset that I'm not the unique snow flake when I flown into Maine. The inlaws can ask airline staff for help, or another random Chinese person in the airport. ORD is a big airport I bet someone will be able to help them out. As long as it's not a rushed transfer for old people then they should be fine.

But write the card, none the less. Shows how good of a son in law you are :eng101:

"Please help me find the transfer gate for XXXX Airlines Flight XXXX, Thank You very much!"
"請幫我找 XXXX 航空公司, XXXX 航班, 閘口, 釣魚島是中國的,社會主義萬歲!”

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Atmosphere wise, Macau sucks compared to Vegas. It's got similar hard ware and all but the service sucks. Tips go straight to the house and everyone has a serious business look over any amount of money they gamble. You want to laugh or cheer other people just get grumpy :smith: But gently caress the haters, when we play craps we shout forum references and have a grand time. Shouting "PRO PRC LAO WAI" gives me extra luck :shobon:

There is Poker in Macau. Omaha at the Wynn, and Texas Hold em at the others. In fact, my cousin use to do free lancing video work for Poker Stars. We got a suite at the old lisboa and we could call for drinks anytime we wanted! The suite also had free porn! Being a bunch of video geeks, we just left it running on all night and sometimes room service had to keep a straight face with the porn running in the back ground :shrug:

Come to HK and give me a holler. If you like gambling, bring some cash and we can do a whirlwind HK/Macau tour. My best record is showing goons around Macau, partying/drinking until 4 am. Get a 45 min foot massage to doze off. Take the 5am ferry, drink some red bull and go to work the next day. Or rush into the airport express station and check someone in through the staff line!

And bring Bilton, that would be awesome.

Rental Sting posted:

For the real China experience!

Well welcome to China! Hope you have a great stay! I'm biased against the Zhuhai/Shenzhen. They are relatively expensive compared to the rest of China yet don't have much to offer. During the weekends they become flooded with people for a hooker/cheap item run/massage/etc run.

Hong Kong/Macau also have horrible choices for the budget hostel option unlike China. I like my shoe box and better airport and being in the coastal city there is a lot more to do. Anyways, post your questions here! If you ever wanted to rant or see some crazy Chinese trolls check out the LAN thread on your peril.

caberham fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 14, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man I'm too lazy to write the Macau guide.

Big Alf posted:

I'm heading to Macau in November for the Pacquiao fight. Looking at staying at the Venetian which is where it's being held, anyone know if it's worth it, or are there better options?

Really depends on how much you are paying. Transportation is free and easy, casino buses and shuttles take you everywhere. When are your dates? I need an excuse to hop a ferry over.

Caberham's pick is the Wynn(best mattress) or Hard Rock (free inroom wifi!) But Venetian is a decent place to stay. Base line quality of all the 5 star hotels are great. It's just a matter of finishing touches/preferences/budget. Have you booked for the rooms or is it some sort of package deal? I can ask around for a discounted rate at the Wynn, it should be around 1000-1200 HKD/night.

During the soft opening the Venetian was so bad that they had a stack of forms at the front desk to issue refunds. Really slow shower drainage, long check in times, guest services connecting random calls to your rooms, etc. But nowadays it's good. It's got this gigantic artificial canal on the 2nd floor with professional trained opera singers rowing a gondola (HKD 120). With a large food court (FATBURGER) and large mall, toddler playground, the Ventian is pretty family friendly compared to the rest of the Macau.

Just beware of hookers prowling the slot machines after midnight and whispering you.

Okura/Four Seasons are low key with the best toiletry sets ever.

If you like to see the meandering streets of colonialism mixed with Cantonese culture then stay on old Macau and go. All of Macau also have better tasting Cha Chan Teng Chinese diner food compared to Hong Kong so you can't go wrong. Except for "Portugese egg tarts" which is just a total scam and nothing more than a HK egg tart topped with cinnamon. Even the name panders to colonialism, and it's the inferior European country :britain:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Big Alf posted:

The ridiculous thing is, it's starting at 8.00am on a Sunday morning (24th November) in order to Accommodate US TV.

There are package deals here

http://www.venetianmacao.com/manny/

What doesn't make sense is the advertised package price is a hell of a lot lower (about $4.5k) than booking two nights accommodation and tickets separately.

Which leads me to think the package must only be for one night accommodation the night before I guess. In times gone by I would just arrive saturday night and drink through to the morning before checking in for one night after the fight, However I will have MY CHINESE WIFE and the baby in tow (unless I can get a miraculous pass out on my own...Not happening).

If the package is for two nights then it looks to be a very good deal, but I doubt it. Will contact them when I am motivated enough to do so :effort:

Will have a gander on Ctrip too for alternatives and run them past you guys.

I was curious about the hotel prices and called for the hot line. You can pay for 1 or 2 nights. It was really frustrating to request for all these different quote. The package prices are not much cheaper than booking separately. You can stay for 2 nights or 1 night. For 2 Class C tickets, and 2 nights at the Holiday Inn, it's 4900 HKD. Whereas staying for one night is 4600 HKD. Doing some math it would be (4900- 880 × 2) = 3140 / 2 = 1570/night at the Holiday Inn

My Verdict: At this price, stick with this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_49l_IQP9c

You can book a separate Venetian package at that price. Look elsewhere.

For the Venetian Suite, are you really going to blow over 10K for some B reserve seats? Anyways, let me ask around and see if I get you the discount to the Wynn for ~~~ 1200 HKD a night.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Westin is nice, but a bit old and a bit far from everywhere else.

Bloodnose posted:

Only coffee, milk, tea and water. No liquor like Vegas.

Ummm..... you can ask for alcohol anytime. Actually, pit bosses love to get you drunk so you can lose more self control and perhaps gamble more. I'm sure that the Wynn, Hard Rock and MGM give free booze. On the other hand, good luck getting anything nice from Stanley Ho the cheap skate :bravo:

Service culture sucks though, don't tip the dealers, the tips just go to the house. But if you want brisk service and good drinks, then tip the cock tail waitresses and the bar tender :eng101:

quote:

So don't go to Macau. There's no sports books there. All Macau has is gambling and history. Shopping and eating is better in Hong Kong.

Actually, Macau has amazing food. Lots of old mom and pop shops make hand crafted noodles, the coffee restaurants make great snacks. The Wing Lei Chinese restaurant in Macau makes one of the best dim sum in the Pearl River Delta without costing you a fortune. Go try the Macanese fried rice. It's really good.

If you want to be a high roller or take your wife on a nice dinner date. There's Don Alfonso 1890 for Neapolitan food, Robouchon A Galera for 3 star Michelin French (book lunch) , Tim's Kitchen for Cantonese. All those restaurants were losing money and had no customers (except me because I'm a Hong Kong food hipster) until the Michelin Star fiasco (my walk in :qq:)

Having so many communist party officials flying in all the time, there's plenty of North East Chinese, Sichuan and Hunan food as well.

So there's also good food in Macau, I haven't even pointed out a few local Portuguese or Macanese restaurants.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Everyone likes to complain about the typical bad Chinese service in restaurants, but you should give this place a try

海底撈 (hai di lao)

https://www.haidilao.com

It's Hunan style spicy hot pot with exemplary service. Staff is very detailed orientated, respond with please, thank you, heck they were better than some servers in America :wtc:

Bad Astronaut, keep us updated when you are in Shanghai. Good and bad things. Someone needs to write a Shanghai Goon city guide.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So any pictures of the goon meet?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I will give you a visit soooon!

Arglebargle III posted:

I do have some. :effort:

Don't be lazy :justpost:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
:swoon: Man I you guys have take me to Tibetan food next time! When are you guys coming to HK again? I ran out of Yak jerky :qq:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

BadAstronaut posted:

I'm glad you brought that up, because it's literally one of my worst things to do!!

Thanks for the heads up. CP is like £40 more so I think I will take it.

485 Hong Kong dollars! That's the price of a juicy steak! I flew Hong Kong airlines and so did other Chengdu goons. Compared to Spring Airlines, the legroom is roomier. Every Tuesday they do some sort of flight specials.

Too bad about the service record :smith:

But yeah, Cathay is power house airline in this part of the world. It's on par with Japan Airlines, Singapore, Thai Airways.

Will you blow up in a ball of death if you fly Hong Kong Airlines? It's not safe, but not "my life is forfeit" dangerous.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Auntie Pacific :laffo: Compared to China Airlines, Air China, China Eastern, China Southern, EVA air, Cathay Pacific is good.

But Singapore is good too because Singaporeans are stingy uptight entitled pieces of poo poo. So their service is truly spectacular :downsrim: I still remember a Cathay flight attendant friend of mine bitching about flying to Singapore :allears:

The inflight entertainment is not bad, I think they just installed a UI and made everything more responsive. Business class was awesome :swoon: You get almost flat seats and your own private cubicle with really comfortable noise cancelling head sets.

It's been 10 years since I have flown business, but man for long hauls it's so much cooler!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Rental Sting posted:

I'm also mad that I chose United over Cathay, seeing all of the recent praise in this thread.

:stare:

Have you ever been to China before? if it's next Thursday I can set you up in HK, exchange some RMB for some awesome American dollars :911: and send you on your way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Air France: the bread is much nicer, and they serve this!

But when it comes to service and in flight entertainment, Cathay is better.

Why not? you paid for it, might as well use it

caberham fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 21, 2013