Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
It's like a restaurant menu of Visa options.

AfroNinja posted:

I got an email from my work and they said it takes 15 days (instead of the normal 7) to get your visa renewed. There is no rush service available. HR sucks and decided to wait until the very last minute to renew everyone's visa which means now we all have to wait an extra week to get our passports back. Many people already booked tickets home so now everyone is hosed! There's gonna be a huge argument during our Wednesday meeting!

Did they only give you a 6 month contract last time? I could have sworn you and I went to work at roughly the same time in March/April.

Mine is good until January but I'm going to start harassing the waiban in October to get my new contract and get ready to do my Permit renewal. That way we can try to head off any surprises.

edit: I know I'm still hopelessly naive and think I can somehow get my visa processes to go smoothly...:negative:

ZombieParts fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Tom Smykowski posted:

:siren: :siren: CHENGDU YAK CONSUMPTION MEET :siren: :siren:
I'll be down at WUHOUCI around 4 today. Then after some amount of time we can walk down the block into the Tibetan neighborhood and get YAK dinner (yak pie, yak ribs, yak dumplings, yak soup, yak etc). In between those two things we can awkwardly ruin people's photos at Jinli Street or shoot terrible crossbows or complain about the heat in a variety of locations. And if you feel the need to buy Tibetan religious whatnot, we can do that, too. The Tibetan neighborhood is like 97% religious shops, 2% restaurants, 1% hotels, and a pool hall.

Forget Yak Meat Tom! When is that Burger King opening on Chunxilu????

I lived on Wuhouci last year but I took a job in a small town this year so I can't just pop up to Chengdu :(

I was spending about 60 yuan a meal living on Wuhouci. Tibetan food is so much more satisfying than Chinese.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

I actually kind of miss Chinese food. The Chinese food in America was loving delicious. The poo poo here is often sad. Especially duck and chicken dishes.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Rental Sting posted:

Got my Z-visa. Leaving for Hong Kong International Airport tomorrow, and then from there, taking a ferry to Zhuhai.

When you picked it up did you use chopsticks or cellophane gloves?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Ceciltron posted:

I need to buy tea, anyone know what the best way for me to buy some good Pu-Erh is? I have no idea where to even start.

You should go to a local tea shop so you can sample it. They'll usually break out a disc of the best seller but you can ask for a couple of other samples. It's ok to go to chain stores but don't ignore the little shops if you pass by one.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Hory sheet! What the gently caress kind of car were they driving to blow up like that? A Pinto?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

If you're going into Tibet and don't have Tibetan friends, you should definitely take a group tour thing. It'll get you straight to and from the things you want to see.

I have a lot of Tibetan friends and we hang out at the bar often. They always invite me to their hometown but they just say "Parts I want to gently caress you!" way too much when they're drunk. I don't want to go there alone and find out they were serious.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

@ Caberham - I'm in Wenchuan, dude. About 4 or so hours from Chengdu.

Magna Kaser posted:

How much to you want to spend? Long Sen Yuan (龙森园) is the best hot pot I've ever had, but it's also pretty expensive. I'm talking at least a few hundred RMB per person if you're going with less than 6. I think the soup itself starts at 200-300. With more people it becomes a bit more affordable. Their claim to fame is they spend a year developing their soups before putting them for sale. They're also pretty unique in that they only have one location, which means you will have to wait/make a reservation. It's pretty central and totally walk-able from line 2. you can check it out here.

That must be the hot pot place I went to because it ruined all other hot pot places since. My girlfriend doesn't seem to notice the difference from one place to the next but I was markedly impressed by the flavor. I just wanted to keep eating and I certainly paid for it the next day. Out where I'm at now, the hot pot itself isn't very good but there are some buffet style places. You order a hot pot set of chicken/rabbit, potatoes, and other stuff and it's basically all you can eat. I'd still rather go to Chengdu for quality food but it's a good way to get a group out to do something.

My last several trips to Chengdu had a lot of hot pot places closed and they reopened as Gan Guo places. It's not a soup, it's a giant stirfry and there seems to be a lot more edible food in that and a lot less oil consumption. The first one I went to was super delicious but too spicy even for the sichuan people I was with. The second one I went to was over near Hooters on Kehuabeilu and it was near perfect. There's a rice stand nearby as well so you can get white rice or egg fried rice to round out the meal.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

hah! That's Obama with Lincoln's beard and top hat. What an awesome logo. And yeah, it does look like the Black Man Toothpaste.

My black friend finds that toothpaste offensive. He said that mascot on there is actually from an old Black Face actor. When the toothpaste first came out the mascot was black and then no one liked it so they inverted it and now it's everywhere.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Southwest Universities for Nationalities will give you a student Visa. You'll want to get the year long Visa because that one is actually one year long. If you sign up for just one semester you're going to end up with something more like a 4 month Visa and you're going to be forced to exit China, get a new Tourist Visa, and then start all over if you stay any longer. It's also really fun to stay in the dormitory there because there are Koreans, British, Americans, Yodas, Australians and a few other nationalities hanging around so you have quite an interesting time. SW University will give you a book that has addresses for where to get health check and where to notify the police that you are staying in Chengdu. They give you all the paperwork.

They take about two weeks to process your Visa so make sure you have plenty of time left on your tourist Visa if you enter China on it.

That place was great for me. I had lived here on a purchased business visa for a year while working at a private school and without warning the business Visas became nearly impossible to get and I had to move quickly. I went in, gave them the money and they gave me books and a class schedule. I got a really well done Chinese language course out of it and a year long Visa that gave me a chance to get a proper job.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Crossposting for ~serious business~ because I want people to see this.

Real advice time, and this time it's not about me or about my dumb job. We have a student who was pulled out of our program because her family didn't want to pay and because some cousins had a bad experience (probably failed out) of American universities. The thing is she's a top student, like #2 in her class, and she's back for a visit and talking about how miserable she is in Chinese high school and how she wants to come back to our program and go to an American university. I have no doubt that if she graduated from our program she would be accepted to a number of good American colleges, maybe with generous scholarships.

Her English is really good, her attitude is really good, her grades were almost perfect, she's one of those students for whom I would write a glowing college recommendation letter. She was one of the students selected for a trip abroad last year because of her English ability. She says that if it didn't cost anything she could continue here at our college prep program. A coworker suggested trying to get sponsorship for a scholarship at our program. We're all trying to think of ways to help her out.

Do you guys have any ideas?

Are her parents willing to hear out the new ideas? It doesn't sound like money is an issue for them but rather whether there is a real future in paying so much for her to continue.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Thanks, so do I have to choose the year long course then?

That's all up to you and how long you want to stay. You can choose one semester or two. I'm super biased towards two semester visas because most people that visit really like it. I've only seen one or two people just go "gently caress this, I can't wait to get home" and if you like it here, one semester isn't going to feel very long. You can extend of course but you have to process Visa stuff a second time which is a headache.

Verlay posted:

Thanks! Do you know if it's possible for to study Chinese for a year at a Language university and then take courses at CAFA. The CSC site states "students who do not meet the language proficiency requirement for the major study shall take 1-2 years’ Chinese language classes before they start the major program" and "students with no prior knowledge of Chinese language shall take 1 year foundation courses at the assigned universities." I'm not sure if that means "study Chinese on your own time" or "we're going to make you learn Chinese here".

That sounds like "We're going to make you learn Chinese here." So they're geared for foreigners which means it's probably a pretty fun school.

ZombieParts fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 8, 2013

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

I bought some taco sauce and don't know if there's anything basic I can put it on. I don't have access to wraps or even bread that isn't cake-like and sweet. What can you use delicious Old El Paso hot sauce on in China?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

AfroNinja posted:

Corporate or not, EF still is a horrible place to work. At a franchise, anything goes and you'll be exploited to poo poo.

Corporate is full of loving assholes who think they are English masters because they read an article about teaching theories. My former Director of Studies (who transferred to corporate) spent an entire hour "teaching" us about all of these theories he used to increase the English level of his class. He did 10 weeks of research and was showing us pie charts and all this other hot garbage. He kept mentioning, over and over and over again, about how he dramatically increased the English usage by using new teaching theories. This man was super serious and truly believed his nonsense. The class he used for "research" was a Small Star Blue. It's the class for 1 - 2 year old kids. There were 5 of them. Oh and he taught them ONCE A WEEK and it was the ONLY class he taught. His presentation was the most ridiculous thing I ever witnessed. As soon as he was done, he passed off the class to me because hes a oval office. These kids couldn't even say or understand their own English name.

If you love sticking your head up your own rear end then corporate is for you!

Most people I meet from EF are defensive. I'll be like "I heard that isn't a very good place to work?" and they'll go into loving detective mode. "Who said that? Did they actually work here? It's a great place, why did they say that?"

All of which makes me think you have to convince yourself it's a good job in order to work there.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

SB35 posted:

Cool man, added it to the OP bookmark list. Having locally or at least pre-arranged transport is always recommended. Saved several hundred RMB over the "going" taxi-rate that way when I went skiing out in Yabuli (near Harbin) several years ago.

You gotta get in here more often, tell us about living in Xinjiang. Until now there really haven't been any goons living west of Xi'an/Chengdu

I bet Xinjiang food is hella good.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

YF19pilot posted:

Yeah, so more than a month after getting rejected, my EF recruiter just left a message on my phone and sent a couple of emails saying they've got positions open and are willing to offer me a position. Probably gonna sleep on it at the moment, but I'm just a little wary of it. Could also be the bitter taste of retail and having just been turned down for a technical sales position is making me leery of job offers.

I am still apt to teaching abroad, just finding this out of the blue "sorry we rejected you we'll hire you now" kinda questionable.

Go ahead and get the contract from them and see what they're offering. What city?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Ugh so it's a test you do in China, not your home country? I'm out by £145 then because the south-west website was not very clear?

Don't let it get you down. Part of the adventure is how much money you end up spending just to get a job/visa only to find out there was another, better, much cheaper way to do it. Your health check in Chengdu will be 411 yuan. Not bad. Whenever poo poo like this happens just say "China" and suddenly it feels ok.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Facepalm Ranger posted:

And I still have about £50 to pay for a chest x-Ray... I say "about" as the dip-poo poo at the reception desk couldn't give me an exact amount. Seriously, £10? I thought I was being taken for a ride, now I think it even more!

Not too bad I guess, it's just been stressful as I've been stumbling around in the dark hoping the pieces will all fit correctly.

China. (It does work a little!)

Any with some luck I should be in Chengdu in time for Chinese New Years celebrations and have a month to settle before beginning my course, I'm coming for you Chengdu Goons...

Surprisingly, Chengdu is hella boring during the Spring Festival. It's a really long holiday and people will go to their hometowns and hunker down with the family. The actual Chinese New Year is pretty spectacular. If you're at Xinan Minzu DaXue there's quite a lot of fireworks going on in the Tibetan area right next to your dormitory. Wuhou Temple will have a huge display. I lived at city center my first year there and fireworks are mandatory for businesses that want to be successful there so they launch from about 9pm until the wee hours of the morning. The Tibetan area doesn't go quite that long. It'll impress you just by sheer volume of smoke and fire though.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

It's a small city in Mongolia, dude. The good news is it's a minority place so your food selection will be pretty good and a quick google search says you get Italian food places and even a couple of McDonalds. THe bad news is, they will be laid way back. The idea of a good time is to go see Grasslands and mountains. If that's your thing, you'll have a blast. Also, minorities in China will get along really well with you unless you mess with someone's girlfriend. Then you're on a poo poo list that includes several families.

seems like it might be small and isolated but the wide open area of mongolia around it might make you feel like you're on an adventure. I live in a minority area now and I find the monthly excursion to a real city very nice.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

synertia posted:

Looks like he's pregnant with a turd, boys.

A few days of oily peppery chinese food will cure him of his ability to produce solid turds.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

drat, those are some hella expensive tshirts.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

How often do most of you guys sport the masks? Moving to China is a possibility for me down the line but I'm not really looking forward to the idea of living in an apocalyptic wasteland where you need a breathing apparatus to go outside.

The mask isn't for pollution. Chinese believe that cold air and wind is bad for you so it's more for internal regulation. Kind of goes along with never drinking a cold thing.

Anyway, if there's enough solid waste in your area that you think wearing a mask is helpful..why? Why did you go there?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Rong posted:

Quality brother. I promise you will have never looked better.

Really, I could use a few quality t shirts at this point. Last time I found anything I liked was at a Volcom store in Indonesia two years ago.

TheBuilder posted:

Honestly any tshirt lets any laowai leave a party with two local girls.

Here, I fixed this for you..

ZombieParts fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 28, 2013

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

No, man...first you have to tell the story of what's up in your life that you don't even know anything about smartphones. Where you been living?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Almond Crunch posted:

i mean in russia but me not having a smartphone is more about cognizance of my own inability to not lose valuable things than it is about where i have been living.

I mean i've had my first phone for about 5 years now and never lost it but i've upgraded like two or three times and always lost my new phones within weeks. it recalls an incident in 3rd grade where i got a sweet new watch which was quickly lost; My parents (as was I) were really confused how i lost something which is literally strapped to my arm but you know these things happen :iiam:

I was just asking. I lived at the edge of Borneo at one point and having a nice ANYTHING was impossible. Monkeys.

Android(Samsung) or Apple(Iphone) work just fine in China. Chinese brand phones are pretty solid and i know people that have Xiaomi and Huawei that work really well. Those are Android phones. Just head online and look at them.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Almond Crunch posted:

dafuq is WCDMA
edit: I think I'd better not even ask what it is; how do I find out if a phone has it?

And yes I did read the OP. I just didn't understand a word of it. :( An hour with wikipedia taught me some of the basics but it's still p much gibberish to me.

XiaoMi 2S - it's good m'kay.

ZombieParts fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 4, 2013

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

gwrtheyrn posted:

Just drink more hot water

Wear more clothes.

Buy a hot water bottle.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

caberham posted:

The utilities thing might be a scam. I know EF Hangzhou use to charge 300 kuai per person when the bill was only 100 ish. Yeah, really dodgy. Have you tried PMing other goons here your resume? I think a few people here might have a lead or two.

They even scam utilities..lol! You guys really don't like EF. I've only met a couple of people that work there and they are pretty defensive when I say "Hey, I hear horrible things about where you work"

I can't understand why they are doing so many interviews. Unless the paperwork takes hella long and they just want to keep him on the horn to make sure he's still interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Oh for gently caress's sake. It's bad enough some of you think hooking up with girls and smoking some weed makes a man a sexpat(LOL) Now there's an age limit? I'm 33 guys. Do I pass? I moved here because my VP had me tell 20 of my 25 man team that they no longer have jobs over a 9 month period. We went from being a big happy family that enjoyed working together to me being the loving Grim Reaper and I decided to get out of that hell hole and instead of going to another corporate job with that bitter taste in my mouth I took to traveling the world. I've been to 8 countries since then and now have friends all around the world.

I don't think it matters if someone is loving 50 and wants to live overseas. Can any of you explain what would be the problem with that? besides thinking it's hip to call people creepy for no reason.