Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I arrived at that station just after it happened. There was a military presence and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm currently located in Zhongshan. Beautiful place, I absolutely love it. I have to take it easy the next month but I'd like to do some fun things in the weekend. Is anyone here familiar with the place and have some recommendations for cheap and fun ways to spend my free time?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

caberham posted:

Well you can go to Macau, take the ferry to Guangzhou or come to hong Kong. Think there's another goon who works nearby

Not with my Visa I can't :( except maybe Guangzhou.

EasternBronze posted:

If you're in Guangzhou I'm open for some goon shenanigans, assuming I don't have work. I don't know anything about Zhongshan but as far as China goes, GZ is anything but cheap.

I'll pm you once I get my bearings if Guangzhou is easily accessible for me. ZS isn't too expensive living cost wise.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Only a temporary one and a study visa. I'm doing an internship here as I wasn't willing to commit for a year without knowing what I was in for. Turns out China owns a lot though so there's a good chance I'll get a work visa after all.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Do they know about April Fools' day in China? I'd like to incorporate it in a class.

Trammel posted:

Staying in a hotel in a country town outside Xi'an, it had a Windows XP box in the room, complete with every qq related adware, two "internet explorer" browsers I'd never heard of competing to create popups, online safety programs, toolbars, internet speedometer, custom cursors, screensavers, download managers and links to flash games all over the desktop.

I gave in and browsed a little. I know you can't catch anything from that, but I still feel dirty.

Every single computer in the school I work at is like this. In fact, I haven't seen a computer that isn't infested that wasn't an expat's laptop.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 29, 2015

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Magna Kaser posted:

I was doing a dual degree MA/MBA thing and did an internship here in China and then the company I interned at offered me the kind of job I was getting an MBA to get so I didn't finish my degree even though I did like 80% of the work for it. The only real thing holding me back is the 30k~ USD I'd need to pay for the whole semester, as per my school's requirement, you need to pay for a whole semester the semester you defend/graduate even if you don't do a full run of classes. I sometimes get really stressed out about my choice to work instead of finishing that and look at my slowly growing savings and debate just paying for the thing in full.
I was in a similar situation back home. Got a great job despite not having my degree just yet. Eventually I got it (paid for the full semester also) and it was worth just getting it over with.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Centripetal Horse posted:

It's too bad I'm so old and uneducated. Despite the downsides, these threads always make me wish I could rewind time and get a bachelor's degree, or whatever I would need to allow me to traipse around Asia teaching kids English, or homosexuality, or whatever. I'd pull up stakes and go anywhere that would pay me a living wage, at this point in my life. Except Korea. I know many people who went to Korea for work, and just... no.

How old are you? If you're under 45 you can get an "internship" in China quite easily and relatively cheaply.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Centripetal Horse posted:

I'm not quite 38. I would certainly like to read about this. What should I search for?
One of the people doing the same internship as I am is 37, and I know plenty that are about 40.

This is the programme I came in on: http://www.i-to-i.com/teaching-internships/china Maybe there are better ones out there but personally I feel that so far it's been worth every penny and then some. I'm pretty sure there are people in this thread that offer internships also so maybe you can get a better deal. For the one I linked, you do an online course, fly to Beijing, stay there for a week where you receive additional training plus plenty of chances to explore if you use your time wisely. Afterwards you're put on a train to your placement school where you'll be placed with at least one other intern so you're not alone and you receive quite a bit of support. I came in with about 94 other interns and made some great friends during the first week in Beijing.
Make sure you have enough money for a visa and like 5000 RMB spending money so you can have lots of fun in Beijing and not have to live super frugally afterwards. Accommodation and food is provided for free in Beijing and the placement school (some placement schools give you money instead of food) and once you start teaching you get 2500 RMB per month allowance (more on your subsequent semesters).

I don't want to sound like a shill for this company so I'll say again that there's a wider selection available, some of which may be better. All I know is that I came in with this programme and it's been amazing. ImmerQi (the company that does the internship, i-to-i is just the course) also offers another programme on their website where you get intensive training in Beijing for a month apparently. I know a lot of non native speakers opted for that, but there were some native speakers also. If you have the cash it might be worth it. I can't attest for the quality of the actual course but the stuff after the course is the same (same conditions and awesome support).

PM me if you have any questions about the whole thing. One recommendation I will give you if you come here, regardless which internship you take: bring toilet paper.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

I did this but it was called volunteering??? Did you pay for this?

I paid for the education and the time spent in Beijing and I get the money back + then some via my monthly wage. Especially if I do another semester as I get paid significantly more then. It's possible there's cheaper stuff out there but I heard good things and I had the money. It was worth it.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 31, 2015

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

a7m2 posted:

Do they know about April Fools' day in China? I'd like to incorporate it in a class.
Turns out they do and the students got me good. "Teacher, why are you here? We've got a Chinese class now..."

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Magna Kaser posted:

http://miniso.jp/chinese/

These guys, chinese name is 名创优品 and they have a bunch of locations in Chengdu。 Baidu it to see which is closest for you.

Oh poo poo I walked past one of these the other day. Excellent!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

peanut posted:

Lol I have met some people here (asia) that just don't research any poo poo at all. One teacher was shocked that Japanese people weren't wearing kimono and children weren't following her in perfect lines like The King and I, another went to a Taiwanese restaurant and was like "I don't know much about Taiwan, but it just seemed like Chinese food to me." Another was a vegan who had her mom send all non-perishable groceries from Trader Joes (she later developed a soy allergy lmbo)

Those examples are really bad but because pretty much every single thing you hear about China back home is bullshit, I had some misconceptions myself. Nothing like your examples, though.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Nederlands? I believe you mean Heland.

I've never met a Chinese person that understood me when I said I was from the Netherlands, but Holland is fine.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

You could just get a prepaid SIM card and stick it in a borrowed phone for a bit.

My Western phone worked fine with a Chinese SIM card by the way. Might work fine the other way around too.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Woodsy Owl posted:

So bring a China Mobile or China Unicom SIM card and put it in my US phone? Are SIM cards completely divorced from channels and bands?

I don't know how it works technologically but I know a lot of people who got a China Mobile SIM and put it in their Western phones. I'm European but I know Americans that successfully did the same.

Data roaming seems to drain the battery considerably faster for everyone but it works. I have data turned off and still receive/send SMS and make phone calls without issue.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

And three wolf moon shirts. I also saw a woman wearing a shirt today that said ACNE so you could pack one of those.
i've seen those a lot. i think it's a brand.

my favorite was a plain shirt that said gently caress

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Do laptops come with spyware preinstalled? I might need to upgrade eventually but I don't really want to get that poo poo.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

simplefish posted:

Did you choose your app yet? I never pay for apps but even I forked over the US$7.82 for Pleco
Pleco is free. What addon did you pay for?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Paladin posted:

Looks like I've got a job lined up in Inner Mongolia. I actually WANTED to go to Inner Mongolia, so for me it's a bonus.

And why wouldn't you? By all accounts it owns.

e: I asked this in another thread but I think it's better suited for this one:
Going to Harbin in a month or so for about a week. Any recommendations on things to see?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I live in Guangdong and would like to join the Wechat group. Can I PM someone my Wechat ID or can someone update the QR code?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Trammel posted:

There's a link to a spreadsheet in the OP with a list of long term goons (including myself) and their WeChat ID's. Add one of them and ask.

Thanks.

fart simpson posted:

I live in Guangdong. But I don't have wechat.

Shenzen, right? Is it worth visiting?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

fart simpson posted:

It depends. Where are you?

Zhongshan. There will be a bridge linking Shenzen and Zhongshan in a decade or so, but I doubt I'll be around that long. Not sure how long it would take me to go there now but it's probably doable.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

fart simpson posted:

Zhongshan is gay

just the way i like it

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Are there any good books about Chinese healthcare (such as problems with traditional medicine and the cargo culture-ish approach to modern medicine)? I have plenty of experiences with it and China goons seem to as well, but I'd like to get some researched info on it.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

http://www.duolingo.cn/ maybe. I know Duolingo is great for learning Spanish.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Is the tea scam the one where cute girls invite you to a tea house, they overcharge you an insane amount and the girls act scared?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Let us English posted:

Did that actually happen? I thought people were joking.

Yeah a friend of mine fell for it. We all had a good laugh about it.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

i do. post more of them

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah just get prepaid. Costs next to nothing.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

i feel for you money ball

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

Street food: If you have seen with your own eyes that they're using clean oil AND you watch them cook the food right in front of you so you know it hasn't been sitting AND you know it's cooked adequately to kill bacteria, you can eat it fairly confident you're not gonna get sick.

i've never done any of this and i've not been sick

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

us chinese are just too civilised

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

angel opportunity posted:

The fact that she thinks there will be ice in a restaurant in China means she has literally no idea what she is talking about and should be ignored. Restaurants give you really weak and lukewarm tea by default (which shows you it's been boiled), not water. If you want water, you bring a bottle of water.

in the south a ton of restaurants give you boiled (lukewarm by the time you get it) water

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

post your visa to get legit advice. don't be ashamed if it's a tourist visa or something. people will make fun of you, but you'll still get good advice too

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Baddog posted:

For some reason I thought people were saying taobao had free/subsidized international shipping. Am I just stuck in the ABC section and need to find the special mainlander link or something? Because it looks like several hundred for a bunch of books and dvs. Or is it only some sellers that offer free shipping? (built into the price).

bookdepository has free international shipping. it takes a long time to get to china (couple of weeks) but it does get there and is super cheap

I'd just get a kindle for books in china tho

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Warbird posted:

Can anyone recommend a VPN from the OP or are they all about the same?

astrill. because it Just Works (most of the time)

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

davey4283 posted:

Also if there are any specific districts for nightlife that are must see.

Lan Kwai Fong if that's your thing

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

peanut posted:

but the giant buddha 360 thing is new and fake.

Yes but the hike is pretty awesome.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

actually shenzhen sucks rear end don't go there. hong kong is awesome though and i also like guangzhou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I really liked this place. The location is great (Causeway Bay), it's clean and it's good value.
https://www.hostelz.com/hostel/58154-Hong-Kong-Hostel

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 13, 2016