Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
I should probably get removed fom the OP. Wife got her visa and we are in USA now, likely staying for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

SB35 posted:

Congrats man. I'll remove you. Wanna tell us how you did it? Couldn't hurt to have an updated account of the process.

Ours was a pretty by the book courtship as far as visas go. We had already been living together for a while in Beijing when we decided ( stupidly, in retrospect) to apply for the k1 fiancée visa. At the time we expected the time from application to living in the US to be shorter than getting married in China and applying for CR2 green card. Normally that is true but the hassles involved are such that I don't think I would recommend it, when comparing our experience with that of friends who got married abroad instead.

Anyway, a year or so later we got the visa, and moved to the US and got married. We have tons of documentation of our relationship and our finances are in order so it's been pretty straightforward throughout. We just got our green card interview appointment though are still waiting for her work permit to arrive.

If anybody has more questions about our experiences though I am happy to try and answer them.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
BadAstronaut, when you say big games developer do you mean you would be working for one of the big Chinese companies or one of the multinational ones?

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

BadAstronaut posted:

Shanghai goons, what is Jing'an like, as a place to live? I'll be working close to the Changping rd metro and wondered if it's a good place to stay, or if it's better to commute into the area rather than actually live there?

Any decent apartment rental websites you can recommend? I'm pretty set on getting a place with a pool... Any idea what I should expect to pay, just ballpark?

So congrats you are moving to China?

Jingan isn't bad but why the pool condition? That seems like it will be needlessly restrictive but maybe it's been too long since I was last living in shanghai.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

BadAstronaut posted:

More importantly than all of Eat This Glob's questions, http://www.gog.com is not blocked there, right? Don't see why it would be...

For current and future reference: http://www.blockedinchina.net/?siteurl=Gog.com

That said, many sites that have no obvious reason to be blocked, are blocked. Worst case, something is blocked, you use a personal or in your case company supported VPN and just deal with it.

Edit: sb35 is answering everything faster than me with the same info I would give. Never mind!

waloo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 7, 2013

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
It looks like MY CHINESE WIFE and I may need to make a few trips back to the mainland over the next year or so -- even if it turns out to be less, does anybody here know which visa type I should be trying to get now? Is it still just a long-period multi entry L or is there a different kind for foreign spouses that is more like a residence permit and the reduced paperwork associated with those?

Edit: so I guess it's Q1 or Q2 if it is not L but I assume that my wife no longer counts as resident in China so it'll be L for me?

waloo fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 29, 2013

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

SB35 posted:

Last I heard multi-entry/year long tourist visas were easy to get. Did your wife renounce citizenship/hukou for a green card? Or is she just over on the fiance visa?

She has a green card now so whatever that implies. You renounce hukou when you become resident somewhere else?

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

Monkey Fury posted:

Yayyyy Chengdu. I'll be around too, I think. I only teach three days a week.

Has anybody had any luck baking bread in a toaster oven? Or desserts and pizza? Some kind of oven is basically the last piece I need to get my kitchen up and running, and anything other than a countertop oven is probably out of the question.

My experience with counter top ovens has been good for desserts (cookies, brownies, quickbreads like banana bread, cakes) but less good for bready breads like an artisanal sourdough boule or even biscuits or whatever. This isn't to say it doesn't work only that with cookies and stuff it had been easier and more reliable. Don't know about pizza, never tried. As you may be able to tell mine was not so good about getting up to, staying at, or evenly heating, above 400 F. Other people tell me they have had better results though.

In short: get one they are useful and worthwhile if you like baking.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Jesus what a terrible decision to youtube up some videos of centipedes feeding on roaches. Not gonna sleep well for weeks.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
I was under the impression one can marry on pretty much any type of visa, the question is how to go from getting married to being allowed to stay in the country while changing status. Also showing that you weren't doing it as part of some visa fraud scheme (more relevant to getting married on a tourist visa I suspect). That said, I think it's usually just apply for adjustment of status and then don't leave until you get it. Or something close to that?

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Here is bao yuan http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/beijing/listings/restaurants/beijing/has/bao-yuan-dumplings/ but I always liked the xian Lao man near andingmen when I lived in Beijing. Not as colorful wrappers but the potstickers were excellent. (http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/beijing/listings/restaurants/beijing/has/xian-lao-man2/)

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

Woodsy Owl posted:

Dudes with Chinese wives; did you end up paying a dowry or bride-price or whatever to your wife's parents? How did you reconcile your ethical position to accomodate this tradition? My girlfriend and I have been discussing marriage and the only defense she could raise for giving a dowry to her parents was that they'll lose face if I don't. It's a hosed tradition.

People tell me that parents will use the money to buy stuff for their daughter's home, but I'm absolutely certain we wouldn't see a single mao.

What's up with the cultural obsession with money, subversion, and childish and indignant selfishness? Why does every single interpersonal and social exchange revolves around money somehow? Also, are there any hypotheses regarding the Chinese "gently caress you, got mine" additude that aren't related to scarcity?

Have not paid any dowry, though also haven't done the whole big party in her hometown (we got married in the US and will finally be going back in May to do that thing).

In our case though we already support her parents pretty much 100% so I don't know how that would work if we (or I?) were supposed to pay more?

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

FearCotton posted:

Wear socks 'cause no one likes hook worm.

Wait what? Is this a thing people worry about in planes?

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

VideoTapir posted:

How long does it take to get a spouse visa for the US? Can I do it from China, or do I have to get it from the US?

To clarify -- are you already married? Did I miss this somewhere? Getting married first then doing US paperwork seems to me like it would have been better than what I did, which was do fiance visa first and get married in US.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
I haven’t been in China for a while, but some friends are visiting and they want to share some photos and videos with people back home while they are there. What’s an english-language filesharing service that’s accessible there these days? Box? Dropbox? Google Drive? OneDrive? Flickr? I’d have told them to use some Tencent product or whatever except they are tourists and don’t Chinese.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
All right, thanks for suggestions. I will relay them and see how it goes.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

Warbird posted:

Have any of you jokers gone through the US Green Card via marriage route? We should be starting the process soon for Mrs. Warbird and I'm not expecting it to be pleasant/cheap/quick/easy.

We did k1 for my wife as part of our grand exit from living in China. Not quite the same as getting married first and appplying for CR.

All told it was pretty easy and cheap because we had our poo poo so well documented. No option is quick though.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

Fall Sick and Die posted:

The sweet spot is having been married for more than 2 years.

This fluctuates from year to year though, in terms of which process is going to take the longest. There are other forums out there in Chinese and English where people keep track of expected wait times for different USCIS centers and stuff and those were better guidelines for wait times in my experience than the official numbers.

Fwiw when i did the fiancee visa thing we ended up slower overall than some friends who got married and started their cr1 just a few months before we started our k1 process . Anecdote, i know, but a counterexample nonetheless.

There is always the sketch-as-hell tourist visa in to US then long wait for adjustment of status after a surprise wedding option... if you dont care about actual residence and work papers, just entering USA ASAP. I do not encourage this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

Warbird posted:

If you have hot tips on getting her to be able to hang out and work in the states, I'd love to hear them. H1-Bs are motherfuckers to get.

Get married today. Submit adjustment of status papers tomorrow, don't leave until residency secured. Not sure how it works with that process but with k1 there was a separate interim work permit my wife got before the greencard.