Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

blinkyzero posted:

I want to see what this country's going to look like in 50 years when you can't run a factory here anymore because all the jobs have been exported to cheaper countries. That's already starting to happen now.

Has anyone in here read? http://goo.gl/t03WRk

It's a sci-fi novel in a future where China is the big superpower, but Chinese people are still obsessed with face and persecute homosexuals. Also Mao and Lenin have been deified, so people swear like, "Lenin and Mao! That is a delicious dumpling."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Yeah I would just call them out loudly so that they lose face. I think especially if they realize you understand Mandarin it will be different for them. Especially in China, it can be cathartic or healthy to just go up to people who are being pieces of poo poo and rage out on them. You're already not really a part of society or the social fabric (which is why they think they can do this) so use it to your advantage and just let them know you aren't going to take poo poo by drawing attention to them.

I'm not a woman and I never actually feared for my safety, but I am tempted to even say you should just go up and ask them why they think they can do that. Say they aren't civilized, etc. Stop other people passing by and say poo poo like, "Hey, these guys are yelling at my like I'm some object, why don't they care that they are losing so much face???"

I did stuff like this on buses before where people kept talking about me, and where after I looked them in the eye and said, "please stop talking about me, I understand you," they kept doing it anyway.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Every time I fly my wife has a suitcase full of fish oil, cigarettes, ginseng, and other voodoo magic that we have to give to Chinese relatives. Also this is the route I had to take:

Two-hour drive from Gainesville to Jacksonville airport --> Atlanta/Chicago/whatever --> New Jersey --> Shanghai INTL --> Long and annoying bus ride to Shanghai Domestic --> Fly to random crappy city in Shandong --> 1.5 hour car ride to wife's hometown.

Also keep in mind, each time you have a connection there is either a chance of missing it, or a chance that it's super long and you have to sit in the airport for 3-4 hours.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

That's awesome... I wish more Chinese people could meet actual Japanese people and realize that they are all 人 (hito)

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I live in Gainesville but I grew up in Jacksonville. I went to UF and got a job here. Gainesville is def. better than Jacksonville

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I used mychinesevisa.com

You can do it through mail is the short answer, but they will charge you some fees for doing so. Still better than going there yourself!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

My wife was watching this show the other day where the contestants beg ten CEOs to give them jobs. They had a few episodes with all foreigners. It was pretty fun to watch, especially that "John" white guy (one of the CEOs) that speaks loving perfect Mandarin.

They had an Egyptian lady that spoke excellent Mandarin, English, and fluent Arabic, and they only offered her a job that started at 5,000 RMB/month.

There was a Russian guy whose Mandarin was good but he said a bunch of dumb poo poo.

It was pretty fun to watch, but it still played into the like... foreigners as sideshow/gawk at them thing.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ASBBIDMS0s

I can't get youku to load right now, but here is the title if you want to search it there:

非你莫属 20130430 美国帅哥大秀纹身 混血女生迷惑众人

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 6, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I was a foreign expert in China. I had an expert Bachelor's Degree, you see

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

synertia posted:

We prepared all this stuff and never had to use it. They asked my wife "How do you talk to your husband?" and she said "With my mouth, we've lived together for 5 years." They pretty much said good luck and sent us on our way. Whole process took 6 months, though.

Yeah, I also prepared a huge folder with pictures and emails etc., then the guy who interviewed us looked like Bill Paxton's co-worker on Big Love, and his tie was covered in crosses, but he didn't seem to give a poo poo and said, "I can tell you guys have been together a long time," and it was over in about three minutes.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

”我用屄洗鸡“

-毛主席

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I work in the U.S. and make like $31,000/year, the job I have in places that aren't as lovely as Florida pay like $40,000-$50,000/year. Even other universities in Florida pay $35,000/year, which is why I'm trying to do the whole LATERAL PROMOTION bullshit by getting a similar job elsewhere.

It kind of sucks spending most of your money on expenses, and I'm supporting my wife while she studies for the USMLE, so we pretty much can't save any money. Fortunately I already had a lot of money saved from earlier which we have invested, and it's making us like $2,000-$3,000 year so far. We put a little more into that every year, but it's basically chump change unless I get a better job or she gets a job.

In China I spent like a retard and made no effort to save at all. My pay was also super low compared to what you guys are talking about. I didn't do any side work either. Yet with no effort at all and buying whatever the gently caress I wanted without thinking about it, I think I saved up $3,000 in 10 months. If I had worked on the side, found a better paying job, or made even a small effort to save I probably could have saved up like $5,000-$8,000.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

If no one had cars in the 80's, then how were there enough suitable husbands for the population to increase as much as it did?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Papers?!?! Why do I need any papers? Tibet has always been a part of china and I have a Chinese visa so why do I need papers to move around inside China?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

My favorite new bullshit airline thing:

1) They charge you $50-$100 to check a bag, so everyone brings bags that they would rather check as carry-on.
2) Flight attendants notice that everyone is trying to bring on giant-rear end bags and that there will not be sufficient overhead bin space.
3) They offer to check your bags, "Free of charge," but you already had to haul the loving thing through security and to the gate.
4) Often you don't get the "We'll check this for free" offer until your second or third connecting flight, meaning you had to do all the extra hassle and stress of carry-on, but then at the very last leg it is taken away from you and you have to wait at the loving baggage claim thing after all.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

The Jacksonville airport has a giant American flag that says "9/11/2001 "NEVER FORGET" " plastered onto it in giant text at the back of the security checkpoint. Yes "Never Forget" is in quotations for no reason. It makes me rage out every time I see it; it's like they want to pander to you as you take your belt and shoes off for no reason and hope you are dumb enough to think that it's for a noble purpose or something. Taking my loving belt off, yeah I'm preventing the next 9/11 right here god bless America.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Hey blinky are you still moving to Denver? I had my interview there on Friday and it went well... I should know any day now if I got the job or not. The city is loving beautiful and I'm going to be heartbroken if I didn't get the job. There is like a bikepath recessed under street level with a charming stream and a bunch of cherry blossom trees right next to the campus buildings.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

blinkyzero posted:

We are indeed moving to Denver. We'll be out there by mid-August at the latest so fearcotton can start her grad courses at UDenver. I meant to ask you how the job interview went -- hope you got it! We can start an ex-China goon colony out there in the shadows of the Rockies.

They have a ESL academy there that you could probably apply for a job at.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I told my wife about it in these words:

"Since Crimea was part of Russia many decades ago, Russia is claiming that they are liberating Crimea since it has historically belonged to them."

She said, "Wow, Russia is so terrible."

IRONNNYYYYY

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

主权 (zhǔquàn) -n. The right of 我国 to 解放 so many places that always belonging China, no other place bah-tuh China hyaving 主权, only China have. For example, all Taiwan 省 people being ouwa bruzztthha, and it China's 主权 to tell Ma先生 opening trade deals with us and crush terrorist protests, why they hate China? 主权 very important for China Xinjiang, China Xizang, China Diaoyu, China Taiwan, China Hongkong 等等. Because 主权 only about China, so drawing parallels between sovereignty issues that happen in other regions and in places that do not affect my very limited world view will be totally lost on me and I will never be able to break out of my ridiculous nationalism thank you

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Can we please change the topic back to how babyish Chinese nationalism is. Remember when people got butthurt about Björk's awesome song?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Yeah she did that Declare Independence song in Shanghai, and she started screaming "TIBET TIBET!" during it, then the authorities shut the concert down and all the Chinese people said that it hurt their feelings. She is banned from China now.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Is that really what the NBA jam graphics looked like? I remember thinking they were near photorealistic

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

Your memory is fine that's obviously the lovely Genesis (Megadrive) version.

Ah yeah, my memory was correct, the arcade version was photorealistic:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

You could also go Chongqing, eating hotpot, chicken feet, guang gai

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Tibet!
Xinjiang!
Taiwan!
Hongkong!
Diaoyu!

By your regions that have always belonged to China combined, I am Captain 中国的

He would get stronger by being racist against Japan and Korea or by being super nationalistic, and he'd get weaker if people waited in lines or poo poo in toilets etc.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

森卡哭

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

May I suggest emailing the consular official? It doesn't matter which one, just find a random email address and then phrase the email as if this person has all the power. You probably don't have time to figure out their name, so just address them as, "Dear Officer,"

Then you can write something like:

"Hello. As you know, I need my visuhr in order go to America. Can you please hurry up the process for me? Maybe you don't remember me, my name is Wayne. O, but forget about it, is nothing, but please sending me the visa very soon thank you."

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I was on a similar situation in chongqing capped at 25kb/s, and there were no other hookups in the building. I paid a small amount of money for some company to run an Ethernet cable from the third floor of a building hundreds of feet away and into my window. That got me like 100kb/sec at off peak time And like dial up speed at peak time

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Ceciltron posted:

Your girlfriend should lawyer up. Chinese contract law is no joke!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

quote:

I don't speak much Chinese and she doesn't speak much English so I'm not sure exactly what she does

wtf

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

ChinaLawBlog posted:

A U.S. company forms a sweatshop in China and builds a really oppressive factory there. Then, with a couple weeks to go before its factory is set to begin operations, it learns that China needs a bribe in order to import the key chemical needed for their product. This company had spent nearly a year and nearly a million dollars lobbying the environmental protection agency to let this potentially harmful chemical in its product and they just assumed that because they had bribed the necessary parties in the US, that they wouldn't have to bribe anyone in China. It had never even occurred to this company that China requires kickbacks for foreign companies to exploit its cheap labor.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Oh yeah, that's cool. But are you sure that she thinks that you are just having fun for a year? Let me tell you something about Chinese women...

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

"How old are they?"

"They are youths"

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

My favorite are people from the US who want to ~~STUDDDY ABROADDDD~ and they are "thinking Australia or the UK," then (their parents) pay like $25,000 to have them "study" a semester in London or Melbourne.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Check the minimum insurance requirements for F-1 Students and make sure they get plans that meet those requirements. The people I deal with at work come on J-1 visas, and the insurance requirements for them are a joke. Every Chinese person always asks, "Which plan is cheapest?"

They buy the cheapest plan, then they get hurt/sick/pregnant and come back to me saying, "My healthy insure not covering my sickness, you help me please!" Here is a good email I got:

quote:

I am a Chinese surgeon of general surgery (abdominal surgery). My wife is also Chinese doctor of department of gynecology oncology. I went to UNIVERSITY NAME to study (J1 Status) on DATE, and My family (myself, my wife and my daughter) have purchased medical insure on 14. My wife (NAME) has been pregnancy occasionally in March, 2014. All insurance companies refused us to purchased childbirth insure from END OF MARCH to today systran note: because he bought total poo poo insurance when he arrived, then AFTER his wife got pregnant he wanted to buy better insurance. You have known it, Our family would like to purchase insurance, but U.S.A insurance companies did not agree with us to purchase it. We would like to cheat insurance.

The medical charges on my wife is paid by myself, and It has taken us 2000 dollars. My wife is blighten ovum. My wife was done dilation and curettage sugery in HOSPITAL today. You tell Miss NAME systran note: I have no loving clue who this person is or what I should tell them my family by phone tomorrow morning, please. We would like to discount because our life is very poor. Chinese hospital paied a little for our family.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

This is actually a more recent email than the one I showed earlier, he used "pregnancy occasionally" exactly like he did in the previous email though! Guess he's using the same machine translation website as last time!

edit: I actually feel really sorry for this guy in some ways because his English is basically non-existent. I KIND OF don't feel bad though because you are supposed to speak English if you come on a J1 visa, and the consulate is supposed to enforce that, but they don't. So basically he slipped under and got here with no English ability, and his Mandarin is loving FULAN style that I can barely understand. I told him when his wife got pregnant that he may want to consider just going back to China early to avoid potential complications since he wouldn't have any coverage for anything relating to the pregnancy, but he stayed and then his wife had complications related to the pregnancy which he'll have to fully cover out of pocket.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 16, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

what's a meram? do chinese people call you merarm?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

In China every big mountain has stairs on it, and you can stop every 500 meters to buy vacuum-packed chicken feet and trinkets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Cuatal posted:

So I told the tour company guy I wanted 500 a day and he said they'd give me 30 dollars an hour, which if accurate would be around 120 dollars a day on the days they have golf class and I'm guessing more than 240 on days when we'd go to Disney and stuff.

Should I go for like 35-40 and be like "dude I know these kids are loaded?"

That is poo poo, don't do it. You're not going to have fun, it's going to be a giant loving hassle, and they will probably try to say you worked less hours than you did because, "Oh, that lovely THING was fun, not work."

quote:

I have a coworker and friend who has a friend who wants to start an education company not unlike the one I work for now.

I would do it. The university I work for has a CENTER in a Chinese city near all the universities. This (Chinese) dude is our liaison for pretty much any university in China, and for the China Scholarship Council as well. He's nice, but I'm guessing he does like 2-3 hours of work a day and probably does the four hour "playing computer" and taking naps stuff everyone always talks about here. When I send him emails asking for quick fixes or what not, he handles it pretty easily. When I email him larger picture stuff or serious concerns, he just never responds. I've heard he does this with everyone. For instance he recently sent us a student that had already graduated on a program for people who will do a year here, then graduate in China.

I asked the girl, "So...what if you fail all your classes here then?"

"Oh, it won't matter, you see, because I graduated already."

No one knew she had already graduated because it's this above guy's job to make sure the students submitted to us meet all the requirements such as not having already graduated.

If our contact could be a western person who spoke Chinese (or I guess a super competent Chinese person,) it would be way better. The only lovely thing is that like, at least for us, if you were sending students here, you would never talk to anyone at our university; you would deal with the above guy that I mentioned exclusively!

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 20, 2014