Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tom Smykowski posted:

Kunming's weather is 100x better than Chengdu's and the pollution is noticeably less. The western food is better, too. And they have limes. The traffic is somehow worse than Chengdu's, though.

Gonna cross-post this from the LAN thread for any possible lurkers:

:siren: CHENGDU-TIBETAN-FOOD-EATING-TIME :siren:

Who wants go get Tibetan by Wuhouci? Tomorrow? Lurkers? Anyone else in Chengdu? Argle, you said you'd be in from the sticks tomorrow, ya?

I know a place half way between Wuhouci and Minda's west gate. They have hidden pictures of forbidden lamas and yak pie and all that fun stuff. Also real yogurt.

We can meet at Wuhouci because that's easy to find. Then if we want to do something after, we'll be south so anywhere else is easy enough to get to. We can even go to that skeevy place by the big boat and the suicide rainbow bridge.

Yesss. I'll be free for dinnerish time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Eat at at least one Sichuan restaurant.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

Everyone likes to complain about the typical bad Chinese service in restaurants, but you should give this place a try

Aw but then you miss out on the fun of everyone sticking their head out of an upstairs dining room that hasn't seen a waiter in 30 minutes and screaming FU WU YUAN together.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

So any pictures of the goon meet?

I do have some. :effort:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

Don't be lazy :justpost:

A goon; a pie.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Clockwise from lower left: cabbage that was barely touched because we're goons, yak dumplings, yak steak platter, mystery powder. Mystery powder later became mystery dough.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The yak was pretty goddamn tough its true.

Yak pot pie was excellent though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Don't be racist about chickens. They're black because they're born that way.

Also where do people serve you soup with inedible bamboo?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rabelais D posted:

I used to despise Chinese soups. Salty water with bits of bone/seaweed/ridiculous vegetable(?) floating around in it.

The cheap poo poo with laver and maybe a little string of egg is the worst. You can tell it's just an incredibly :effort: soup that does really just taste of salty water with a bit of oil and seaweed in it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GuestBob posted:

And yet the customers are dutifully brought their little bowls of steaming pish.

Why?

It's China, doing things for reasons nobody really understands and doing them badly is the bedrock of society.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

Was the chain attached to a bowl, atop which the chopsticks were perched just so?

No you're thinking of Japan, in China there's an empty chopstick holder and a broken chain. The bowl is either stolen or in pieces on the floor.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Racist Tree

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm gonna go ahead and un-recommend Walk Two Moons. It is full of old and unusual slang that will confuse the students and frustrate the teacher. Dealing with words like "chickabiddy" is just a gigantic waste of time. The characters speak like a woman in her 50s would imagine a young girl speaks. The story is complex and meandering and some of the characters speak in dialect which again is a huge waste of time unless you're preparing students to head to a generic native american reservation.

Science fiction is a bad idea in general because it relies on an unspoken understanding of what's normal, which is difficult across cultures.

I like stuff about being a teenager because they can relate to that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

goldboilermark posted:

I'd be interested in your opinion what's good, because once we finish Liar and Spy (it's been a bit up and down) I have nothing else planned.

Well we told them we're doing The Outsiders this year and a couple of the kids just read it outright. They said it was really good and once they started they wanted to keep going. I haven't done it as a unit yet but it looks promising. The slang is more current than you would think.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone ever read The True Meaning of Smekday? Requires an awareness of what happened to the native americans but it's hilarious and great. One of the characters speaks horribly broken English and I can see that being funny for ESL kids beyond a certain level.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

I really like Neil Gaiman but for some reason his stuff seems to fly over ESL learners.

Again, sci fi and fantasy has the problem that the reader needs a baseline for what's normal to suspend disbelief. When the reader is from another culture it's harder to figure out what's supposed to be real and what's fantastical.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The True Meaning of Smekday is a real pro-read BTW, I recommend it for adults too. The first five pages are like the evacuation scenes in Independence Day if they made you laugh so hard you feel like you might die a little bit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeoh posted:

Listen buddy, the more three letter acronyms I can slap on my resume, the bigger my ego.

It's true all the ones that can increase your paycheck are 4+ letters. Just like the AAAAAA rated stuff on all the advertisements!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I hate 冒才, it's like buying a bucket of oil with some vegetables dropped in almost as if by accident.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Having people stare at me all day every day has made me less self-conscious somehow, but I still have bouts of it bothering me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey just wanted to say I had a good time at the goon meets the last few weeks, good job everyone! I asked a Chinese friend about Old Meat and he said it's just pork butt. I tried to take some friends to Mike's Pizza the other day but we were waylaid by a crafty pizza establishment that had cunningly situated itself much closer to our movie theater. Can anyone confirm or deny the rumors that Mike's uses slave labor and or/beats and tortures its employees?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This evening I was taking out the trash and walked by some guy with his son. The guy said "Say Ha-lo!" to his kid and I was annoyed because the way they do this it's like taking their kids to see the zoo. You know, the Lion says "Roar!" the Dog says "Woof" and the Laowai says "Ha-lo!"

But then I thought about it and realized that kid is probably going to grow up, and when he's 16 he's going to see a foreigner and maybe he'll have done okay in English class or even had some contact with the outside world through the internet. And one day he's going to be out with his dad and he'll see some twenty-something foreigner who looks pretty cool to a 16 year old kid, and he's about to say "What's up?" and his dad is going to nudge him and say "Say ha-lo!" and he's going to be so embarrassed.

Really what I did there is redirect my scorn from China onto dads.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baddog posted:

I'm heading to Changsha for a month in a few days, trying to get setup with a vpn... I know its a bit of a lottery with what vpn provider is getting blocked on a particular day and hasn't found a workaround, but any recent recommendations on a good/stable/working service? Someone had recommended vitavpn a ways back (free 150 mb trial), but I'm a bit dubious about using a proprietary client from a chinese company. Is this poo poo going to give me computer aids? I'm thinking just take the binary as a backup and install it if I'm desperate.

I had strongvpn for a bit, but it didn't work for me in china last time.

VyprVPN from the OP looks pretty decent, and with an IOS client as well for $15/month. Any word on them?

What do you need it for? Goagent is a good free VPN that works through google appengine, but it only works for in-browser proxies like foxyproxy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

As far as I know, no. The actual app is all in English though, so don't worry. All you need to do is follow the appengine link and set up a google app. You don't have to do anything else on the website, just set up an app and give it an appid that you can remember easily.

The download and install goagent, go into the server folder and run the .bat file. Give it your appid.

Then go to the local folder, open proxy.ini and set the appid to your appid. You need to run the .bat file for every appid you want to set up. You can have a maximum of 10. Each appid has a max of 1 gig per day and you switch between them just by going back to proxy.ini. It sounds harder than it is.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Winter coats are super bulky for air travel.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Woodsy Owl posted:

Looks Orcish.

Sheep-Goats posted:

The first thing I tend to compare China to for people who ask me "What was it like?!?!?" is a goblin camp from Lord of the Rings.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Of course not, just like modern orcs don't use the modified Sindarin script that Sauron originally wrote Black Speech in. Duh.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mo' externally pegged currency mo' problems.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

China has street signs and address numbers on buildings and maps and modern GPS. The bus stops even have QR codes. Stop getting lost people!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Chinese seems that way once you have the pronunciation problems down because it's uninflected but then once you start to learn more it opens out again. The lack of inflection can even start to make things harder in following long sentences with the verb at the end. It's still far far easier than reading and writing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm not sure I would invest money in an insured Chinese bank in the next couple years, much less a non-guaranteed one. There's a financial crash on the horizon. The fact that people have been predicting it for years doesn't make it less likely.

Also this is Changsha right? You forgot to mention the betel nuts and saliva drenching your baby/katamari.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 22, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

By pretty much every standard, the west is even more hosed.

The inveterate Chinese response. Something happened? Look! The west is bad! You really have assimilated.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baddog posted:

Before I realize wtf, she's literally rubbing this diseased kid on my son.

:catstare: The gently caress?

You know what, based on my experience I think I can say that Chinese grannies should be outlawed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

I netted about $3K on a wire transfer and won a debate with a Chinese financial adviser here specifically by not listening to the usual, "Yeah, but this time it's real because look how we're the future and the West is failing so the currency will only get stronger..." stuff. Now the special lady friend listens to me when it comes to markets.

I'm curious as to how you accomplished this.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Tourism & Travel > The China Megathread III: it seems ridiculously awful.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have a TV of decent size and a nice couch, and decent Internet but I live in the boonies and you might take a cockroach home with you. :ohdear:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Took me about 10 seconds to realize that was water.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It can take six months for formaldehyde gas to stop coming out of cheap plywood.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

El_Matarife posted:

I'm thinking about moving to Shenyang, Liaoning with my girlfriend (soon to be fiance, shh) for a few months at some point in the next year. I'm senior level systems engineer in the states with a ton of experience in Microsoft and VMware. How can I find an IT job in China? I'd like to pick up some IT focused Mandarin which I figure could be good for my career.

Are you 100% about this plan? Moving to China isn't something to do on a lark, especially if you don't speak any Chinese. I really doubt you'd become functional in a few months. Mandarin IT is something that a ton of Chinese people can do, and they often speak decent English in addition to perfect Mandarin. I'm sure your skills would be good to someone but why China? The quality of life isn't great. I would really think hard about why you're going to China as opposed to anywhere else in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bloodnose posted:

Since you're senior and have a ton of experience in major multinationals, you should have no problem. Don't listen to Arglebargle. You'll find a great supervisory and possibly executive position if you try hard enough, and the quality of life will be amazing on a six figure salary in Shenyang. Shame of it is that most luxuries are a lot more expensive in China than in the west. You'll still be able to dominate a middle class Chinese lifestyle though.

It's cool, if you really can find a position like this then go for it of course. If it's going to be three months of Lost in Translation esque purgatory then think hard, is what I'm saying.