Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"Furnished apartment" is code for "only price-insensitive tenants need apply", the world over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aliquid posted:

If you have no debt, who is cashing your car payment checks? I'd have a word with them.

The leasing agency? I don't consider myself to have debt to my landlord, maybe that's unreasonable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Insurance rates for different cars are so weird and unpredictable I've stopped trying to make sense of it. As my cars have gotten nicer my insurance has gone down.

I have two cars which are more than 4x difference in MSRP, the more expensive one is brand new vs 3 years old, and they have nearly identical insurance costs. (The more expensive one has a $1000 deductible vs $500, I guess, but still.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When I financed a TV years ago (0% as long as I keep up with payments? yes please), I got a store card in the mail linked to the credit that was established for the financing. It was only usable with that store, but it appeared as a credit card on my report.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think these people are not blessed with an abundance of planning capability.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Your wife really appreciates it, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Weatherman posted:

Hell, they said that the amount they gifted to the banks was enough to pay off every outstanding mortgage. Now in an economy based on consumption, what kind of effect would you say freeing up a $1000-$2000/monthly payment in every household would have, as compared to shifting some zeros from the right of one bank's ledger to the right of another bank's ledger?

I think it would cause a step-function increase in house prices and rents, and then everyone taking out a new mortgage to try and trade up.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dessert Rose posted:

Seriously the layout is awful in every Walmart I've been in. They're enormous stores and yet they still manage to make the aisles a claustrophobic nightmare.

They want merchandise density and people to be exposed to a lot of items as they wander around. Nothing about it is an accident.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Blackjack2000 posted:

My mom spends hours each evening working on charts, totally uncompensated, in complete violation of labor laws. I told her she has Stockholm syndrome and she just laughed and said most nurses do.

poo poo, she might as well be a teacher.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Mandingo posted:

It's like a reversed prisoner's dilemma - there's no reason to be anything but greedy in this case.

Except all the reasons that motivate charity, really.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Inverse Icarus posted:

That's what I keep trying to tell my dad but it's like talking to a racist, conservative wall. Free healthcare and foodstamps is pro-small-business!

A couple of VC friends told me, pre-Obamacare, that the startups they funded in Canada had an easier time attracting experienced candidates because running without employer insurance for a while wasn't rolling the dice with permanent poverty or untreated medical conditions for their family.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Room for carry-on, sitting down and reading my Kindle vs standing in line. Plus the sense of superiority.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

High Lord Elbow posted:

Under the seat in front of you, the airport lounge until final boarding, and if sitting in a slightly larger seat makes you feel superior, you aren't.

I'm tall, so I want the space under the seat for my huge man-feet. But yes, I need all the ego-stroking I can get.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Free public chargers are great, because I can't charge at home.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not a Children posted:

My friend has been paying his ex's rent for the past half a year. To help her resolve her issues of underemployment, he's encouraged her to get a masters in library science. "She wants to be a school librarian! Nobody wants to do that!" he says. When I tell him that that's probably a pretty terrible idea, his first reaction is to ask me for sources on that and accuse me of fearmongering.

Goodbye, prospective roommate, I hardly knew ye

My wife has a masters of library science and years of previous experience, and has been looking for a job for 3 years. Nobody is making new librarian positions, and no librarian can afford to retire, so you basically have to wait for someone to die.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Kareem posted:

Library science is probably the costliest education for the least amount of money. It's crazy how much education you need for a job making 25k a year.

My wife would routinely see positions that wanted a masters in something like chemistry as well as an MLIS, with a salary in the mid-40s in Silicon Valley. I guess those people exist, somewhere?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Where are you finding job ads with actual salaries listed? I've only ever seen "compensation based on experience" or other code words for "we're going to lowball you as hard as we can" unless it's a minimum wage hourly job.

When colleges are hiring staff positions you often get a salary range I think, because it's structurally linked to the position's level, and maybe to union contract.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Libraries also have collections that are curated rather than distorted by SEO. Pretty important for a lot of their patrons, especially in the case of public libraries. For a good time, ask a medical reference librarian how he or she feels about doctors using Google Scholar.

Libraries are very good with money, given services they provide even beyond book availability. They offer a touchpoint for a lot of social services, computer skills training, Internet access and similar to people for whom it's necessary with money, not just good.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's in everyone's interest to have a strong education system, whether their kids take advantage of it or not. Investing in education rather than dealing with the consequences of an undereducated society is good with money.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Powerlurker posted:

He was staying at home with the kids so he wouldn't have to pay child support to his first wife and kid (ending up at age 24 on your second wife with a child support obligation is BWM to begin with).

Most jurisdictions have a concept of imputed income such that if voluntarily un/underemployed the spouse can still be evaluated -- for purposes of support payments -- to have the income that they could earn if they didn't choose to be unemployed. Not talking to a family lawyer may be BWM for his first wife.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Powerlurker posted:

My suspicion is that he had his first kid at a point where he didn't have much of a baseline income so his initial child support payments were probably fairly low.

That affects spousal support, but child support can shift with (real or imputed) income by either parent. It's still his kid, he didn't divorce him/her.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What's the constitutional basis for capital controls? Is it something in the banking regulations?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What would it being Tier 2 signify?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pig slut lisa posted:

Is salary discrimination against overweight women a thing? I bet it's a thing.

100% a thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rudager posted:

Thats like $65/day, or $22/meal (assuming 3 meals a day).

Either it's a REALLY loving expensive restaurant once a week, or eating at "nice" restaurants every day.

$10 on breakfast, $20 on lunch, $35 on dinner isn't that hard to do. Hell, some companies have per diems more than $65 for traveling.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Have brunch at a financial counseling centre.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bartell posted:

This card is good for any shortfall of purchase, the only downfall is ive had the card a year and not had an credit rise, other than that its good for helping build crefit bk up

Other than that!

They must be pointing people at this site to elicit positive reviews, nobody loves their credit card company as much as these people.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Solenna posted:

My honeymoon was BWM. Went to Hawaii for a week with reasonably priced tickets, a great deal for accommodations, rented a Mustang because it was less than a hundred bucks extra over a compact car, and then spent well over a thousand bucks on food, with multiple >$200 CAD suppers. We're still overall positive income for the month, but :stonklol: is a pretty good visual of when we looked at Mint and saw how much everything was after the exchange rate conversion.

While there's a couple meals I don't think worked out to be worth it, overall it was loving delicious and amazing and the two of the most expensive meals were some of the best food I've eaten.

Sounds good with money to me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dik Hz posted:

Also, humblebrag > D&D labor policy discussion.

Yeah, but "gargling shards of glass" > D&D labor policy discussion.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

And maybe talk to his insurance broker.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

One new suit a month is pretty restrained, even.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ChipNDip posted:

A lot of the people without savings probably have fat pensions as well.

I would be surprised if it was as much as 25%, but my opinion is totally unburdened by facts.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pathetic little tramp posted:

Ugh yeah I remember there's something there - russian benzos will kick you off the moon, so you don't want to do that. I know if you have spare darknet 10ks you can annihilate the moon monsters in one hit (it's your special attack), but there's some sort of trick to getting around the moon when you first get there. You have to find a key... oh! Turn around when you get to the moon and use some weasel dust, you should see a ladder and if you go to it, it unlocks the dungeon on some other menu, if you get through the dungeon (kinda tough on the third level because the troll king has a lot of HP, I think the katana is actually less effective) you can get the key.

I don't have anything to add, I just wanted to touch this beautiful jewel of a post.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BWM is finally moving money from a money market account to index funds...last week. :shepspends:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Only BWM if you sell it now!

True, and I'll probably move more this week because long-term Vanguard is better than a glorified checking account. Thanks, GWM-bro!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Placebo is a real thing, and triggering it is a reasonable thing to do, though preferably at a lower price point.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I dunno, I had to look into how to finance my similarly-priced car because I hadn't really done it before. I ended up not doing financing, because my credit history in the U.S. wasn't going to get me a good rate, but the poster is putting 40% down and if they have the cash flow for the payment, what's BWM?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Or that limit could be so that they preserve their preferred liquid reserves.

You wouldn't buy a $130K car, that's fine, but if that's what the car you want costs and it fits in your finances, it's not BWM. It's possibly even the result of having been GWM previously.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

melon cat posted:

It's bad with money because the massive cost of the loan will cannibalize any fuel savings that having an EV would otherwise save you. But then again, maybe that guy just wants a really expensive toy.

So not optimizing for fuel costs is BWM? Only one good-with-money car out there I guess.

I certainly wasn't motivated by fuel expense savings. Getting a panel replaced wasn't cheap, but didn't have any material financial effect on me. OTOH, it's awesome to drive, a tiny environmental contribution, and the safest thing on the road. All of those are things I was willing to spend money on, financed or not. I would have taken way more than 50% LTV if I'd got a good rate, because investments are outperforming the rate I was after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If their primary bank (the bank with the best understanding of their financial picture) would only offer $50,000, and they are going to get a loan for $70,000, why is it a bold assumption that the loan payment will represent a very high percentage of their available cash flow?

Because credit history and not just cash flow affects loan amount? My first car loan was capped very low relative to my cash flow (about 10% of my gross) because I hadn't established credit history in this country yet.

• Locked thread