Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Jastiger posted:

I'm going to see how she handles the next paycheck with my big ole commission on it and act from there.

Do you see this sentence? This is a terrible, terrible way to go about a relationship. You know you have issues, why are you leaving a trap in the open and then waiting until your partner steps in it?

Get in front of this poo poo first. Sit down and have the discussion that you badly need to have. Try to do it in a neutral setting with no blame games or finger pointing. You're both in this together, so each of you needs to contribute equally to your success.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

One should not post when one is mad about things. Retracted. Do I want to get probated for backseat modding or something? I didn't even post content!

Rather than striking out the offensive remarks, you should remove them.

I feel like I'm bad with money lately. I live 500 miles from my rather large family. They live in the same town I grew up in, but it's only a 7 hour trip to come visit. When they do it's a vacation for them, but it's my normal time. I end up going out to eat, golfing, and doing more touristy things when they are around. It sucks because I try to plan for it, and it's not right to pay for it out of my family vacation budget. I just end up spending my fun money and not being able to save for bigger things. :smith:

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 5, 2014

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

dreesemonkey posted:

Enjoy your time with family while you can, you can always buy things later.

I know this, and accept it. My dad was diagnosed with stage IV-C cancer a month ago, and I'm definitely understanding that there's more to life than good financial decisions.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
It almost sounds as if you two aren't on the same page and are feeling resentment towards each other. You would benefit from some counseling and open lines of communication.

Lots of "money problems" are really relationship problems that need addressed first. Sit down and figure out your short term and long term goals are. Figure out how to achieve both, and then hold each other accountable. That doesn't mean you scream at each other, you just make sure you both are staying on the same page.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

moana posted:

It's me, I'm the bad with money.

I got a bill from AAA for my home insurance and paid it and set it to autopay thinking it was weird I don't have it already set to autopay.

Then I get the reminder from my escrow company they are the ones who pay that. RIGHT. So that's why I get checks at the end of the year for thousands of dollars. Because I double pay all my most expensive expenses. bof.
That's awesome! I did that one year with my property taxes, but that was because I had just refinanced and wasn't sure if the escrow account had enough in it yet, so I paid it myself just in case.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
My wife and I were driving around yesterday and decided to stop at Big Lots. They have furniture in this store and I was looking at the financing poster board they had up. For every $1000 borrowed, you can make 52 weekly payments of around $44, or 27 bi-weekly payments of around $78. This works out to For the privilege of getting your Big Lots furniture you pay around 100% APR financing.

I have been very happy with the sectional we bought from Big Lots over 4 years ago, but I wouldn't have paid double for it. How this is legal in my state, I have no idea.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Thank you for stopping the tuition chat and that story. Holy poo poo, I just can't imagine what it must be like inside her head :stare:

Do you have any pics of the first Ferrari? Before or after, but preferable after.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Lowness 72 posted:

I MUST DRIVE A FERRARI. NO ONE CAN STOP ME.

For $5,000/mile you should get to drive a Bugatti Veyron or something of that caliber.

VVVVVV
Please take the tuition chat to another thread or start one.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 13, 2014

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

nickutz posted:

That isn't the point at all. Do anything you want if you can afford it.

Maybe I just don't understand the culture of having a gamin' rig that you can't use for literally anything else (which appeared to be the context of his story).

I bought the automotive equivalent of a gaming rig (a Miata) but I still use it for grocery runs, to take my mountain bike to the trail head, etc. I can't imagine having a computer dedicated solely to gaming.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Relationships must have a strong foundation of trust. Sure, everyone makes mistakes, but get actions show a willful disregard for financial well-being.

The number one thing couples argue about is money. I would probably consider this a huge red flag and end the relationship.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

MrKatharsis posted:

Ring tattoos are $25+tip and can't get caught in machinery. Y'all are bad with money.

Mine was a $10 (Shipped!) tungsten band on eBay. You're bad with money :colbert:
Oh god let's not talk about my wife's ring

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

mastershakeman posted:

I certainly hope you don't think defaulting on payments (mortgage, credit card, student loans) or declaring BK means you shouldn't be licensed to practice law. That's pretty ridiculous.

I think not paying a dime against your loans shows a lack of ethics, and should be considered for disbarment.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Anyone who walks away a richer person after dabbling in Bitcoin is a winner. The market will eventually crash and they will be worthless.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

The Door Frame posted:

No, I wanted an 08 BMW, I had the perfect one in line, with the right engine and everything. It just sucks to pull up next to a brand new car in my beat up civic and manually roll up my windows

Once you stop tying in your self-worth with the perceived notion that anyone else cares about what you drive, you'll be a much happier (and wealthier) person.

My fun car is a $3,500 '99 Miata. I bought it just for me, because I enjoy driving a cheap, nimble convertible. I've heard so many stupid comments about how it's a car for either girls or gays, but they just roll off my back. I'm the one who gets to have fun with it, not them.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Annakie posted:

Found out yesterday from my Aunt that my cousin, who has a Certified Nursing Assistant... degree? Whatever it takes to get one of those has been going to school to be a full nurse for like 5 years but still hasn't graduated as she only takes semesters sporadically. She is 32. Last year she took a semester off to go help out a friend's family at their business in another state. She got to live with that family rent-free and made several thousand dollars in that time, which she was supposed to use to move back home and go back to school.

Instead, she went with her friend and her friend's children to Disneyworld, stayed at the resort and spent very nearly all of the money she made working and saving for several months on the trip. Expenses included paying for her friend's daughter to go to the Bibbity Bobbity Boutique, which costs something like $150. My cousin went back home completely broke and is now living with her brother and his family in his basement.

She hasn't had a job in nearly a year despite there being plenty of opportunity in the area, apparently. Her brother has put his house up for sale and is moving his family into an apartment, which won't have room for his sister. She will literally have no place to go as soon as the house is sold and will probably move back in with my aunt.

CNAs are the peons of the nursing world. They get paid much less than RNs, but still have to do a bunch of the gross stuff and grunt work. That story hurt to read :(

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Nail Rat posted:

And at a 3.49% mortgage I'm not sure I'd bother putting extra on it unless I was maxing retirement accounts and building a nice taxable account and had money left over, that's pretty close to inflation.
What about a rate of 2.75%?

:siren: BRAG POST! :siren:

A couple years ago I received a letter from my mortgage holder that they could do a streamline refinance with almost no costs (~$300 for the title work) and they would give me the rate of 2.75%. I jumped all over it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
You could also stop trying to act like you have more money than you really do and buy a car that costs nowhere near your yearly salary.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

necrobobsledder posted:

People's ideas of "I'm doing great now!" are completely ludicrous in this country and saying how a barely six figure incomes isn't life-changing when you live like "most people" makes me an rear end in a top hat and "completely unrealistic." The lady in the article's ideas of "doing well" by my definition are not that far from my idea of scraping by - $120k / yr as a working couple in an area where you could even buy a $250k house during the bubble is not "naming your price" as a professional in an industry that's considered booming. Similarly, during the worst of the recession I read about construction workers that had gotten "crazy" earnings of $80k / yr and they were buying the entire bar rounds and "that truck they'd always wanted." It's like people thought they won the lottery by temporarily doubling their income when it was barely liveable before. The perception Americans have about their personal wealth being so aggrandized bothers me when so many people are living on so little. Maybe I'm crazy, but suddenly making what would be a minimum wage income if pay-outs matched living costs since the minimum wage was introduced shouldn't make people think they won the lottery if you ask me. It's like we're in an alternate reality of the Onion article saying India's version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" that amounted to "Who wants 500 Rupees, a full meal, and a bus ticket home?"

I think that people get caught up on their yearly salary as some sort of number that means that it's already in their hands. I know people who, upon getting their job in the healthcare industry at around $50k/year, proceed to lease a brand new $40k vehicle. They do this before they get their first pay stub, because they are "finally earning the big bucks!"

There appears to be some disconnect between getting a job and actually earning the money. While they may be earning a good amount, they spend as if they've already accumulated their entire yearly salary way before they actually have. I think if people actually stopped and analyzed how much take-home pay they were earning monthly, they would be shocked that it's nowhere near their yearly salary divided by 12.

Also, most people forget to deduct taxes, insurance costs, 401k (if they're smart enough to enroll), and other things that reduce the amount they actually take home. While I know exactly how much my company pays me yearly, I know that I really only get to play with a little more than half that amount once all of that stuff is taken out.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 1, 2014

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Radbot posted:

Yeah, I had that same situation - maxing Roth IRA and my Designated Roth Account, no consumer debt, and was still told how stupid I was for getting a new car. The new car bugaboo is frankly loving weird compared to the silence about mortgage and private student debt.

Silence about mortgages? Did you miss the DO NEVER BUY sentiment of the housing thread?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Shipon posted:

The used car market is absolutely hosed right now. The days where one year out meant a 20% drop in value are over - those cars are hanging only a few % below MSRP or even at par depending on the model. Even a ten year old car can keep its value pretty amazingly well, which I suppose is good for the original buyer but awful for anyone who's looking for a cheap vehicle. You can't even buy beaters for cheap anymore.

"Cheap" has just adjusted with inflation. You can get a very reliable car for $2000-$3000 nowadays. It does take time to find the right one, just like it always has.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Grumpwagon posted:

Troll account spotted!

The Geo Prizm was the same car as the Toyota Corolla. They could be had for a discount under the price of the Corolla due to having a Geo (then Chevy) badge. They were mechanically identical, and were some of the best cars ever built. Read up on the history of the NUMMI plant in California if you want to know more. It's an interesting story.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Engineer Lenk posted:

My wife still drives her '97 Prism that she got new as a teenager. 200k+ miles and still going strong. We've been discussing replacement options since it hit 150k, but decided to ride it out until something expensive breaks.

If you like your Prizm, look into a Matrix/Vibe. Same basic design, but better laid out and lots of interior space!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

canyoneer posted:

I know a dude who bought a new house built in 2006. He was 22 or something and had some inherited money. "Why, instead of renting, I'll get my friends to rent rooms out of my house. Free rent and building equity!" He bought a 4500 sqft 4 bedroom. The internet tells me that he probably paid $290k or so for it.

It was in a city with a university, but about 30 minutes drive from the university. So, a really poor location for the demographic he wanted to rent to. The only people he could rent to were his friends who were working McJobs and still "figuring stuff out". It was a battle for him every single month to get people to pay the rent. It was also difficult to keep the house full of paying renters.

The same floorplan houses in his neighborhood are selling for $200k or so these days. He bought new construction wayyyyy out in the suburbs as an investment that depended on his loser friends paying rent to him, and probably took a $90k bath on it.

You reminded me of a friend of mine who bought a house worth around $180k when he was making around $35k/year. This was back in the days of liars loans, so he figured buying with a 5 year balloon on a 50-year interest-only payment would be smart. He got a 5 bedroom house and rented 4 rooms to his friends from church, who paid him 1/5 the total rent monthly. When I asked him why he wasn't charging more, he said it was because he wanted to give his friends a good deal.

When the market went south and he had to move 500 miles back home, he took a $40k loss and paid for it with his 401K. He was a nice guy, but just too trusting of others.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

District Selectman posted:

I got an aftermarket Clarion with bluetooth to replace mine for under $200, about three years ago. You could probably get it for like $100 now. Just bluetooth to your phone and play whatever music you desire

Mp3 CD's? :cmon:

I put this in my Miata. It sounds great, has a USB port, Bluetooth (with a microphone for phone calls) and an headphone jack. There is no CD slot, but who uses actual CDs anymore?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

LloydDobler posted:

Sounds like your wife owes you forty bucks.

This. If she wants to give away your labor, it should come out of her pocket.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

EugeneJ posted:

We used to tag along with a couple who would eat out with us, but never tip. They would count out the exact amount of money their order came to, and leave just that. So the rest of us would be forced to tip more to make up for it.

Why didn't you call them out on it? Or stop going out with them?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

I thought we said no more car chat? :v:

But to your point, people do the same thing when I tell them I'm riding the bus on my way to a hockey game. The terminal is across the street, and it saves me from having to park 2 cars when my wife is meeting me after her shift ends. Also, I get some exercise walking the mile to the stop.

I wish people would change the way they look at public transportation in this country.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 20, 2014

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I think my wife and I had the right mindset for our wedding. We said all along that we were throwing a kickass party that we just happened to get married at the beginning. It helped us keep the focus on our guests having a good time, and not making people suffer through traditions that suck (bouquet toss, chicken dance, etc.).

I had many of our guests tell me that ours was the most fun they've had at a wedding. Free booze, good food, an awesome DJ, and no downtime will do that.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I feel like I'm bad with money. I used to have a 35-40 hour workweek and made about 15k less. I did not have a company car, either. I would LOVE to be able to go back to that job because I did not feel stressed all the time and had a lot more free time. Now I work 55-60 hours a week and just feel run down all the time.

My old position doesn't exist now, so I guess I'll just keep plugging away :smith:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
If I could work for half my pay, and only had a 20-hour workweek, I would do it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Jeffrey posted:

¥ is probably more relevant than £ at this point

You mean ฿itcoins, right?

Buttcoins are truly the worst with money thing I've witnessed in my life. People are all scamming each other left and right, and every single person is secretly hoping that they aren't the bagholders when the whole thing implodes upon itself.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 24, 2014

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
They probably love to repo these. Someone makes a few payments, maybe even a year, they take it back and sell it for $11,000 to the next schmuck.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

EugeneJ posted:

And the fact that you have to furnish the thing.

And heat/cool/clean/maintain it.

e;f,b.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

flynt posted:

And of course everyone was encouraging me to buy my own house around 2005 because you only had to put down around 3% as a first time home buyer; continuing to rent would be stupid. They were giving this advice at the same time as they always complaining about being broke. Thank goodness I ignored all of their advice.

This was me in 2006, and the worst money decision I made was buying a house and putting almost nothing down. I listened to my parents and bought a house instead of finding a cheaper apartment when my rent went up. I've been fortunate in that it's not an expensive house and I've lost "only" 20k worth of value. Also, I was able to re-finance at 2.75%APR which is pretty awesome.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Also, many people get a 30-year loan which has you paying a ton more interest than if you got a 15-year loan. Payments when I first got my home were about $1000/month (30 year loan). My refinanced payments are only $800/month.

Renting the same home in my area would probably be pretty close to $1000/month, but the increase in costs for maintenance, lawn care, repairs (garage door opener and HVAC this year), flooring replacement, etc. adds up quickly.

Plenty of people buy homes, but I wish I had rented one instead. I would not be living in the same area I am now if I had not bought my home.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Can we get back on topic and take the housing argument to another thread?

Here's a couple on Reddit with $350k in student loan debt from Drexel. She has an Interior Design degree, he's a mechanical engineer. How do you rack up that much in loans without a plan to get into a high-paying job?

quote:

Hi, my husband and I need help. We live in NJ and we are buried under my student loans and his kick in next month. I have $150,000 left and my husband is close to $200,000. We took the money for school and we want to pay it all back but the monthly payments are way more than we can afford. My debt is all in private loans, and I'm already at the minimum monthly payments ($1400 just for mine). Our loan companies are unwilling to work with us, our parents co-signed (so I'm trying not to kill their credit), and the loans are too large to consolidate. I've done so much research and I don't know what else to do. Is there anyone who can help me out? I'm willing to answer any and all questions. Thank you!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Saros posted:

"It's a status thing more than anything I think. I reason that we spend a lot of our time in car's and are heavily judged on the type of car we drive."

It looks like that guy listened to reason, so +1 for good advice.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

MJBuddy posted:

F150s were crazy popular in my city back in the early 2000s and no one ever used them for anything (but once or twice a year you might have to pack up stuff for a hurricane evac so a lot of people bought cars that could handle that). The worst drivers too, because you're in this monster tank and you feel invincible.

Which is ironic, because they were some of the most unsafe vehicles produced in that era:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wb66PzljP8

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

SiGmA_X posted:

Content:

Doesn't this vary by loan, though? I paid an extra $10k on my mortgage a few years ago, and my monthly payments didn't change at all. I believe I have a simple interest loan with a locked APR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

TastyLemonDrops posted:

It's me. I'm the one bad with money. I turned down a job that was nearly double my current pay so I wouldn't have to move to Baltimore. But then again, I own my apartment here in New York with associated lower cost of living, so I don't know if this is only slightly bad with money or horrendous with money.

Hey, quit telling stories in the derail megathread.

Content:

some redditor posted:

So I bought a 2002 ford mustang v6 with 115000 miles on it for 10990. With the interest rate at 23.99%. So I now know the car is not even worth half of what I'm paying and the interest rate is super high, but here's my story. So I needed a car ASAP and my old honda took a poo poo so I went to the first car dealer that would even look at me because I'm 21 with no credit history and no co-signers. So I went to this used dealer and they offered me this car and so I took it. That was 5 months ago and biggest mistake of my life. I thought hey I'm getting a car and building my credit so this must be good and I did not know much about the interest rate or just how much the car I am buying is worth at the time so I thought it was a fair deal but now seeing my coworks with better cars and lower payments and lower interests rates I realized how much I'm getting screwed. So I'm stuck with this ten year old car at almost 400 a month payments and high interest rate. Not to mention the car is now giving me problems such as I found a puddle of transmission fluid under it and it bogs out from time to time. So my question is there anything I can do like trade it in for a better car with lower interest rate even thought I bought it 5 months ago. I know I'd be loosing money but I'd rather be paying for a car I like to drive and actually like then this slow piece of poo poo car. So ANY advice at all would help. Also if it helps Southern California.

Edit: Thanks everyone for your advice it will help me in my future. And to clear up something's it is a buy her pay here dealer. In the article that jsblk300 posted, which was a good article about thr dealers, it describes the dealer perfect and actually the dealer I bought from is mentioned in the article. And since i work in a high rise building i managed to make a friend with a lawyer who said he will take a quick look at the contract and look into the situation for me and see what i can do, but if he cant find anything I'm just gonna take my losses and pay the car for about another year which hopefully if they report to the credit agency my credit will be good enough to just trade it in at a real car dealer.

• Locked thread