Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

MC Hawking posted:

I want to know what magic land they're living in where you can find 1% savings account.

http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/savi...king_MMASavings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

pig slut lisa posted:

His valve can't be so agitated that he can't find work at Levy Pants or a local hot dog vendor or something

I do declare, this is a good post.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

melon cat posted:

He went from the high life to tragedy so quickly. It was unreal.

It's probably because he didn't have a close personal relationship with Jesus. (from this thread)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
The foundation of all relationships is trust. If you can't trust someone, you cannot have a meaningful relationship with them. She needs to sever.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
If you must drink energy drinks, try the Red Thunder knock-off at Aldi's. It's only $2.59 for a 4-pack, so it's much cheaper than Red Bull.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Dillbag posted:

So all you needed to save a few hundred dollars a year was a lovely addiction to over the counter stimulants? Goddamn, sign me up!

It's easy to get addicted to caffeine without meaning to. I'm in the middle of doing house renovations and the only thing keeping me going is a regimen of caffeine and the other crap in energy drinks. I'm not looking forward to weaning myself off, but I really don't think I'd be able to function on some days without a stimulant.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
This derail loving sucks.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

n8r posted:

Not attempting to re-open the KG thread by any means, I think it's good that it's closed for a bit. All that said, the last few posts :monocle:.

Thanks for letting me know about this. I stopped following the thread and just checked up on it periodically, but :drat: that was crazy. He is in a bad place emotionally and needs to get his head on straight. Janus Owl is a saint for sticking by him.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Oh I so want to cheat and dirty up my diet with a big bag of Chewy Runts, but no one has them anymore. Since I'm a BFC regular, I can't bring myself to be BWM and pay whatever ridiculous sum any seller would put on them.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I had a friend who was getting married. She sent out on Facebook that she was only inviting close family and friends to her wedding, which is cool, I respect that. She then went on to ask that everyone who was not invited just give her cash instead of gifts because she has student loans and other bills to pay. This might not be BWM, but me and everyone else that I know sent her exactly zero dollars because gently caress her.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Devian666 posted:

Send her money because no one else has debts to pay or any financial obligations.

I forgot to mention that this wasn't her first marriage. Also, specifically telling people they aren't invited to celebrate their marriage while simultaneously asking for cash is very low class. Gifts are supposed to be received gracefully, not with stipulations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

Does your church pay for circumcisions? Do you have to tip the ... I dunno, what do you call the guy with the tin snips?

A church that doesn't pay for circumcisions is just a ripoff :v:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Volmarias posted:

I have a car that's supposed to run on 92, but will accept 87 due to having knock sensors, etc and adjusting engine performance in response. So, buying 93 does indeed give me better performance since it's the expected octane (since no one here sells 92).

The answer is maybe. If you're not feeling or hearing any pinging then you want to run the lowest octane you can get away with. I had a turbo Supra that absolutely needed 91+ or it would be risking the engine. I had a 2000 I30 that would run on 87 but had bad pinging and got terrible fuel mileage. It was worth it to run 89 in that car.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
The Corolla had a Hemi back in 1971
http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2007/11/01/hmn_feature17.html

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I just remembered that I got to watch my old boss light over a quarter million dollars on fire in under 6 months while opening, and subsequently closing, a restaurant.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That post about the Coffee Shop Opening Experience and Timeline is loving professional grade, and I can't find it.

Is this it?
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/a_fine_whine/2005/12/bitter_brew.html

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

quote:

I full funded this baby on my own with a few small donations from friends
What kind of scumbag would say something like this?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

oh wait, they don't really know anything it's complete bullshit to give an infant anyone chiro
FTFY.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Devian666 posted:

Here's something I read last night on whether or not to pay down your mortgage. There's no clear answer due to personal circumstances and a few conditions like if you have less than 20% equity.

http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=478

By all means treat a mortgage as leveraged shorting of currency based on inflation reducing the principle's value in the future when you pay it back. You can take that to mean that in a very low inflation environment, like now, you are betting in the wrong direction. I thought the general BFC advice was to not buy so that people actually consider what they are doing. It's better than buying the first piece of poo poo house you see thinking it will make you rich.

Thank you for sharing this. I have 2 properties with more than 20% in equity, both at 15-year loans. One is for 2.75% and the other is 2.875%, and I've been telling myself that it's silly to pay it off early. It's good to see someone's done a little more thinking about it and come to the same conclusion.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
As a big car nut, I say please kill car chat or take it to a new thread, thanks.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
No, they had to get the upgraded stereo system.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
This derail loving sucks. More BWM stories please.

Content:
I know someone who is struggling to make ends meet. They are extremely mechanically inclined, so when the wife's SUV had the engine go I figured they would rebuild it. Nope! A brand new SUV is in their driveway, right next to his lifted 2500HD pickup that hardly gets driven.
He has no savings and no retirement, but he has that truck with the huge wheels and custom paint job. He even has an old Camry as a beater that the wife could drive while he fixes her old car, but that makes too much sense I guess.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Good news! You're on the Internet where none of that matters.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Phone posted:

The same dude recommended Chryslers and VWs to unsuspecting goons who wanted a reliable car in the A/T thread.

That's the worst thing I've seen posted in this thread. Good grief...

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

DuckConference posted:

a relative of mine got married, and her and her husband stretched and got a half million dollar house they could barely afford since she works at a daycare and he works as an EMT.

despite a strained relationship she gets pregnant, but the husband decides to keep riding motorcycles and ends up crashing due a self-done repair that he screwed up, and is now unable to work. no idea where it goes from here but she's due soon and I doubt things will get better

That story is eerily similar to a couple I know, but they are not BWM. I think it's just a crazy/cool story.

They have a huge house way away from town but make good money. He crashed his motorcycle on the way to Sturgis a couple of years ago and was permanently paralyzed while nearly losing an arm as well. Their relationship was rocky for a while, and somehow they decided to make it work and wanted to get pregnant. I could tell you they spent a boatload on IVF (In Vitro) and had nothing to show for it, but really they tried useding something similar to what Meh is selling today (an electrical muscle stimulator thingie) and were able to get some baby batter out and into a cup. Being the self-respecting woman she is, she used a 10cc syringe and shot that up in her and got pregnant on the first try.

If you're looking for BWM, they spent a bunch on making their house wheelchair friendly and now they're looking at moving closer to town and to get into a 1-story house so that he can access more of it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Who in their right mind would pay 500 dollars to add a backup camera to a Miata of all things?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

NancyPants posted:

A live animal kicks people, or gets its guts perforated when you try to butcher it because it isn't still, and then before you know it you've got horse poo poo all over your horse steak.

Yuck. It's junk like this going on in the meat industry that keeps me a vegetarian.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She was already very crunchy and into alternative medicine,
What does "crunchy" mean in this context? I've never seen it before, but it sounds like it means "new age", or into lots of woo.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm planning on refinancing our mortgage versus buying a house in 4.5 years exactly. Will it impact me then?

No. Close your accounts that you aren't using. I posted something about this previously, but I closed my oldest account and still had a near 800 credit score when buying my house. Get your debts under control and pay your bills on time. That's by far the most important thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
It came from reddit:

quote:

Hey guys, I know this is stupid and I should have been paying better attention but I really need some advice.

My car was repossessed today while I was in the house. I didn't even notice when it was leaving. I thought I had been making the payments but I had auto pay setup for the wrong bank account so none of my payments went through. I KNOW how stupid this sounds but the past 3 months I've been so stressed out about my job and other things that I never realized it. One of my ex roommates was harassing me over call/text so I installed an app to block his phone number. Well, it turns out that the same app also blocks calls from unknown 1-800 numbers (hence why I never got collection calls).

If I can't get my car back I'm screwed, completely. I owe about $900 to them and really, I just don't have it. I paid rent and I thought the car payment had been coming out. I'm a loving idiot. Their call lines closed about an hour ago, so I'll have to call back tomorrow.

Is there anything I can do to convince them that I'm not full of poo poo? Would they be willing to let me pay the amount that I owe over time? The company is Hyundai Motor Finance. I need that car to get to both of my jobs. If I can't get it back I don't know what I'm going to do. I feel so stupid.
This could happen to anyone. Anyone who spends all the money in their account and isn't checking to make sure that bills are getting paid properly.

• Locked thread