Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Is there such a thing as bicycle insurance? I mean, how much damage can a bike sustain before being totaled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 30, 2014

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
People who don't have $600.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

melon cat posted:

But here's something I don't understand- they're apparently too broke to pay $600 for a phone, but they're prepared to pay $142/month for it? I don't know about you guys, but $142/month is nothing to scoff at, and I say that as a guy with a decent income.

I just don't get it. :psyduck:

What makes you think they're actually going to make those payments? I doubt anyone actually does for more than a couple months.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

This just boggles my mind. An hour to get ready, minimum? Bungee cord strapping kids into their seats? What do they do in the snow? Does she only live her life within a few square miles? I have so many more questions. This sounds like something you'd see in China or India.

(Also, they do have a small car; the dad drives it to work.)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Hey reddit, how much did you spend on your wedding?

quote:

I spent $30,000 on my wedding three years ago. It took four years of light saving to earn that much.

When you're looking at bills of $2,000 for a DJ, $3,000 for a photographer, and $8,000 for catering, you become numb to the little $400 and $700 expenses and just let them slip through unchecked. Here's a list of mini-expenditures that I regret:

Welcome baskets for out of towners ($250, furthest travelling guest was only a 3 hour drive).
Monogrammed toothpicks ($90, why did I do this?)
Wedding favors ($400 and included a customized christmas ornament. Again why did I do this.)
Morning-after brunch ($1,000 - not worth that kind of money just to see everyone again the next morning.)
Limousine ride back to hotel ($600 - a bus will do the same thing for 1/3rd of the price)

I negotiated the poo poo out of the vendors in my wedding. But then I was an idiot about these expenditures above.

:stare: I got courthouse married for $90 and skipped all the wedding bullshit. I had no idea that it got that ridiculous.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Thesaurus posted:

I hope you people with courthouse weddings biked, walked, or at most used a zip car. Don't forget to pack a pb&j sandwich for afterwords (have you seen how expensive the lunch places are around those municipal buildings?)

Bonus points if you absconded with the pen they gave you to sign the license.

I didn't get courthouse married because it was cheap. I got courthouse married because I didn't want all the hassle. The cheap part was just a bonus.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

miryei posted:

One of our accountants is pretty constantly broke...she has no idea why she's currently broke, seems to think that her next paycheck will fix it entirely, and says she doesn't budget because "You only live once, you know?"

Good god, this woman is in charge of money for a living?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Zo posted:

That's also irrelevant since football programs are generally revenue net-positive (sometimes massively so).

They don't have to pay their athletes anything, either (although that may change sometime soon).

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

quote:

I just bought a house with my best friend. I will be placing him on the deed as half owner. However, I am the only one on the loan, being solely responsible for paying the debt back. How do I write a personal contract between my friend and I?

The purpose of the contract would be to protect myself in case any unforeseen circumstance may come up involving my friend taking off, leaving myself the only one paying back the mortgage which I cannot afford on my own.

Thank you for your advice in advance.

edit: I've lived with the friend in question for 3 years in an apartment so I know we have a compatible lifestyle. Hardly any issues occurred during that time. We've been best friends for nearly 12 years

link: http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2jo9h8/i_just_bought_a_house_with_my_best_friend_i_will/

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Jesus. Motherfucking. Christ.

PS WHAT FRIEND LOANS YOU THAT KIND OF MONEY????

If this guy were to declare bankruptcy, what would happen to the personal loan? Would the friend just be completely out of luck?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
A couple comments on the Ask a Manager blog in regards to tithing (in the context of a job applicant being required to provide a budget that included tithing):

quote:

My parents are Southern Baptist, and they make all sorts of judgmental remarks about people who “only” tithe 10 percent. “Well, I guess if you only love God enough to give the bare minimum that he asks …”

They give 25 percent of their income to their church. Percent saved for retirement? Zero. My level of frustration over this situation? Through the roof.

quote:

My husband has a coworker that shared a story with him about why he switched to his current church. His old church had called him up and asked him why he wasn’t giving a full 10%. When he asked how the church would know he WASN’T giving that, the church rep recited his annual salary and some other very personal information that he definitely never gave to them. When he asked them how on earth they were able to get that information, they deflected the question and started in on how he wasn’t serving God unless he was tithing a full 10% from gross.

I hope this guy did more than just switch churches over this, like maybe open criminal proceedings or something.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Rurutia posted:

It's just an appreciation thing. I don't think you're obligated to do it. But we can afford it, and it's to people who are less fortunate.

So what do you guys think about employees being expected to contribute money out of their paychecks towards getting Christmas gfts for their bosses to show their appreciation?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I have a coworker who has taken over all financial responsibilities for her grandmother's house without putting anything in her name. I think the plan is for the grandmother (who is in a nursing home now) to leave the house to my coworker, but who knows how long that will be? I can see now way that anything could go wrong here.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

MrOnBicycle posted:

Using tanning beds is just being bad at life, no exceptions.

I didn't even know you could buy a tanning bed for home use. That just seems really, really dangerous (maybe not worse than cigarettes though?).

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
How about this reddit guy? Police took my life savings after OP and his friend got pulled over.

quote:

Apparently while my friend was in the car with the officer, he was intimidated into consenting to a search of the vehicle. A personal amount of marijuana belonging to him was in the vehicle. After finding that, they also came across some things of mine that raised a flag for them. Essentially my entire life savings. I won't discuss exactly how much it was, but let's just say upwards of 20k. I KNOW THIS PROBABLY SEEMS SKETCHY. I had this on my person because I travel, don't really have a home base to keep my valuables... In my mind, it was safer with me.

We were taken to the local station, and they attempted to interrogate us. I was handcuffed to a chair for four hours. I asked repeatedly why I was still being held. I wasn't told I was being charged with a crime. I wasn't under arrest but an "investigative detention." After administering an extremely BIASED test, they decided that was enough for them to keep my money.

I received a receipt for my seized property. This was two weeks ago, I haven't gotten a phone call or any type of message from them regarding this. I've called the prosecutors office in the area the incident happened, but they can't do anything because they haven't received anything on their end. No charges were filed, so they don't even have a record of it. I did a lot of research right when this happened, and I read something about the possibility of this being processed via a "federal equity sharing program" or something like that... Essentially an extremely lucrative money making opportunity for their department.

So at this point, I'm attempting to compile documents where I can prove the income was taxed at some point. I don't know what goes into this...

TLDR - 20k of mine was taken by the police. I haven't been charged with a crime. What is a legitimate way of going about proving that it's mine?

Why, exactly, did this guy have 20 thousand dollars in cash on him?

quote:

I've been in a position to save money for years. I'm extremely good at money management. The money is legitimate. A portion of it came from selling material possessions recently, as I was in the process of relocating. I made multiple trips to move all of my things to a different state a year ago. I wasn't willing to put forth the same effort to return. I'm a server, so a lot of the money I have wasn't per se 'reported' ... All of the money I received was in cash.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
My point in posting that story was that carrying your "life savings" in cash is bad with money. The car could have crashed and caught on fire, or he could have been carjacked and robbed.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

In the comments he got invited to a weekly dinner at his coworker's house.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Shut up about motorcycles.

This may or may not be bad with money, but it's certainly weird:

quote:

OK, so this is a really bizarre one for this forum. Basically, it started with finding a way to manufacture spending for those 'get X miles/points if you spend Y dollars in first Z months' new card offers. What I did was buy prepaid debit gift cards and then draw money orders off and cash those. So, I was just going to deposit that cash in lockstep with the card balances coming due, but at the time I was also trying to close on a rental property with a big bank.

Now, when you're trying to close the underwriters hassle you about every single little dollar that drops into your account that isn't from your job. You have to write a signed letter of explanation for each individual deposit! To avoid all that and having to explain manufactured spending to them, I thought I'd wait until closing to deposit all the cash.

For the same reason, since a lot of my tenants (from another rental property) also pay in money orders, I started only cashing those instead of depositing. Meanwhile, I played a lot of poker and ran hot accumulating more hundred dollar bills I didn't want to deposit.

So this closing was dragging and dragging and the pile of hundreds in my room is growing to ridiculously unsafe levels. Finally, the closing resolves itself: I get fired.

But, by this point I had cycled $17K through the credit cards all of it now in the form of cash. Plus $7K poker winnings plus $5K originally withdrawn playing roll plus $5K rent paid to me. I can't just walk into the bank and deposit $30K+ in cash! A currency transaction report will be filed for sure plus a suspicious activity report. Maybe SARs already have been filed because of the multiple $3K outflows monthly to pay back the cards and all the money order cashing but not depositing.

I'm not evading taxes and haven't done anything illegal nor do I intend to. WTF do I do here though? I can't leave the cash under my mattress and wait until maybe the house burns down or my dead broke landlord goes through my room again and maybe finds it. I'm really afraid of the insane civil asset forfeiture laws or anti-smurfing type stuff will lead to me account and cash being confiscated. I also didn't keep records of all the money orders so I'm also afraid of surviving an audit and proving that only like $11K of it is actual income and what type and source.

Ideas? Just go buy some bullion and put in the safe deposit box?

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2tdxsn/stupidly_ended_up_with_27k_in_hundreds_in_my_room/

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Did somebody say...bitcoins? http://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/2uovrl/me_28_f_with_my_husband_31_m_5_years_will_not/

quote:

My husband (I'll call him John for the sake of anonymity) and I have been married for a little over 5 years now and everything has been going well up until a year or so ago. We were planning on having children and everything. Now my life feels like it is at a complete stand still.

John is always bringing up these new business ideas that never go anywhere and I find it cute sometimes because it's not really harming anyone. "We should make a window shade company that simulates sunrises for people who need to wake up before sunrise". It's always weird little things like this. I just laugh because I know he will never do anything with it but he has always dreamed of doing something big.

We are both avid redditors so when we find a new subreddit that we love we get excited and start sending each other links to see if we can get the other one interested. It has mixed results and we laugh it off when he tells me he doesn't care about a new eye shadow that's coming out. Skip to 2013...

He finds out about bitcoin and is sending me links constantly about it. It goes from "check out this cool technology" to absolute cultish behavior in a very brief period. I would say 0-100 in probably 2 months. He starts taking every dime we have and buying them as quickly as he can. He actually set up a feature that BUYS MORE ON A WEEKLY BASIS after our paychecks come through. The worst part is he didn't even TELL ME he did this. He gave me this arrogant response about doing what's best for us and our future kids.

Overall, and I'm not exaggerating, I would say we have lost over $22,000. I kept telling him to sell as the price was rising and he promised me a big year in 2014. The price kept falling and he CONTINUED TO BUY MORE. He makes more money than I do but we are building a future together and we have a shared bank account. He kept telling me this was for our kids college fund, to buy a house, etc. The money...I can get over as people spend money on other stupid crap like boats they will never use but this isn't even the beginning to the absolute craziness I will see out of him over the coming year.

I am in marketing & PR and we run large events at local arenas. A big part of my job is meeting clients/investors for events to ensure them that they will get a return and basically shmooze at parties. My husband used to be great at these events. When people like you and your family, they trust you and are more willing to do business.

My husband starts bringing up loving bitcoin at these events. MY events for MY job. People here have a lot of money and he knows this. He saw this as some kind of opportunity. He goes on and on about how taxes are theft and bitcoin is a way out. The dollar is about to collapse, banks are destroying the world, etc. You are supposed to make light hearted jokes about how their football team is doing, not get into these political discussions. He knows this too since he's been coming to these events with me for years.

It starts off small where I laugh it off and say "ohhhh John, he's into technology and gets a little too excited". He saw this as condescension. The car rides home? Full on fights about how I don't get it and I'm going to be left behind. I felt like I was fighting with some type of evangelical Christian (I have been in plenty of these growing up). He ironically rips into religion any chance he gets but he is absolutely part of a cult full of insane people.

Keep in mind as this goes on he is still buying more as the price goes down telling me we have a great opportunity on our hands. I actually have a bookmark on my phone to see what the bitcoin price is because I can predict his mood for the day. I actually check the price every single loving morning to know how I should treat him that day. His entire mood is based off of the price. It will go up 10% in one day, crash 20% the next. Our whole lives is an emotional rollercoaster based off of absolutely nothing. Every time it goes up a few dollars he rubs it in my face how wrong I was. He ignores long term trends and focuses on these specific time frames to show me how stupid I am. Yes, my husband called me STUPID over THINKING I do not understand it.

I feel like I have read more about bitcoin than he has because he won't discuss any downsides with me. He tells me all problems will be fixed and we are in on the ground floor. He seems to be in a constant good news bubble about this when no one actually cares. Most of the responses he gets from people in public are feigned interest until they can get away from him or they just tell him they don't care if the converstaion lasts more than 2 minutes. I am embarrassed to be around him.

After a recent price crash, he actually bought more using our vacation fund that I have been saving away for AND planning. All gone, in bitcoin never to be seen again.

I am sorry for the long rant but this is my life now. I have tried everything. I have tried reasoning with him. I have tried explaining to him that he should not have sole control over our money. He is so confident that he slyly brings up selling one of our cars to buy more. He didn't come right out and say what it was for but I can guarantee you it was to buy more. He is ruining my job and robbing me of happiness.

I used to consider him a smart guy and I never, ever thought he would succomb to basically being brainwashed by a bunch of clueless idiots on the internet who seem to know absolutely nothing about finance or the real world. I don't know how familiar people are here with bitcoin but if you go to their subreddit, you will see exactly what I'm talking about. I started crying once reading my husband's comments worded slightly differently, repeated 100 times over. It was like I married a parrot.

My parents give that look to each other when he talks now like "ugh, what is he going to say next" every time we have dinner together. I am constantly trying to change the subject and he gets angry with me. You can tell he wants to raise his voice but since we are around my parents he holds back.

What do I DO? I am not religious in any way but my family most certainly is. I feel like I couldn't even bring up divorce and I want to save my husband. I want him back to the way he was. It seems like he is addicted to a drug but since he doesn't realize it, everyone else is wrong. I don't know if I should have an intervention or just walk away and hope he comes to his senses when I'm staying in a hotel for a few weeks.

Again, I apologize for the length but I want you to feel the way I feel so you can understand the advice you are giving. I really need help here. Thank you to anyone who even reads half of this!

tl;dr: My husband will not stop spending money on bitcoins. He brings it up every chances he gets with people he as just met. We have lost a lot of money on this and as time goes by, he wants to listen less and less. I'm scared there isn't a way to talk him out of this.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Blinkman987 posted:

I think the issue there is that people are tithing while broke. I don't speak with God, but I have a feeling he/she/it doesn't mind if people forego putting money into the collection plate if they're financially struggling. Like, he's not going to bounce you from the good list if he's not getting a taste.

Also, volunteering is free and should count as a substitute for tithing (in my atheist opinion, at least) because time = money.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

jaymeekae posted:

Dude putting down 3.5% down on a house, using up basically all of his savings. Earns $360 a week.

I live in south Kansas City and I really want to know where this house is. My husband and I pay $600 rent for a 650 sq ft house a block away from the bus line that goes right to UMKC (pharmacy school), so there's no way that this guy's "Considering I'll need to take on a roomate in both cases, the calculations I've done make it seem like it's way more expensive to rent" is accurate.

link to his full thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2wrjn7/im_20_years_old_today_im_making_an_offer_on_my/

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Devian666 posted:

I used to watch those shows. They were bad at prepping for their specific disaster, but even worse is that they wouldn't not have done well during a natural disaster that is more likely to occur. It did get pretty sad when I watched a couple filling a shipping container with meals that would last them and a bunch of other people 20 years or more. Their house was more of a functional bunker. There seemed to be no goal or end point for their prepping. It was obvious it was compulsive behaviour. :smith:

"Prepper Fiction" is an actual genre of self published novels that you can get on the Kindle, where the world totally ends and everyone but the preppers are screwed.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...prepper+fiction

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Weird fetish: financial domination.

quote:

The fetish of financial domination basically entails men (or "pay pigs," as they're known within the fi-dom world) transferring large sums of money to women over the internet. The nuances vary, but a relationship can stretch anywhere from a pay pig sending his dominatrix $30 a week to donating the vast majority of his earnings and having his dom take full control of all his finances. Which seems a little frivolous given the current economic climate, but I guess that's kind of the point.

quote:

I've heard that some slaves "adopt" their mistresses household bills and pay them. Do you ever do that?
I've heard that as well, but I don't participate in it. Most slaves are turned off if they think the dom needs their money, and paying a bill for her may appear that way. Any and all money I receive is spent on frivolous items, which makes it more exciting for me and my pets.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Space Gopher posted:

Insurance words

Back in 2010, my mom bought a 2004 Subaru Outback from a friend for $6000. Four years later, she got a newer Subaru, so she gave it with me. Exactly a month after I did all the paperwork and transferred the title into my name, someone ran into it in the middle of the night while it was parked in front of my house and totaled it*. The insurance company gave me $8000.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find a used Subaru to buy with my insurance money, so I had to get a Suzuki, which was probably bad with money long term because they don't sell cars in America anymore.

*And exactly a month after my car got totaled, my husband's car got totaled when he rear-ended an SUV. It was a bad month, but that's why you have an emergency fund.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I've seen some pretty frivolous gofundmes on Facebook from people that I KNOW have money, they're just spending it on other frivolous poo poo.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Blinkman987 posted:

How often do people get away with promising themselves to elope and actually follow through with it?

My husband and I go courthouse married. If I'd married someone else, I probably would have had a wedding, but he really didn't want it (and honestly, so much pressure to do all the planning is on the bride that I soured on the idea pretty quickly).

I did spend $800 on my ring--got an heirloom diamond reset into a new setting. My husband didn't have any extra money so I paid for it myself.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Krispy Kareem posted:

There's House-Rich, Car-Rich, and then there's Horse-Rich. We do pretty good, but let's not kid ourselves. We'll never be Horse-Rich.

When I was in college, my roommate's best friend would go horse riding on weekends, and I thought she was renting a horse at a farm or something. Nope, it was her personal horse, which she brought with her from Seattle to Iowa. His name was Mickey.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

quote:

I'm 26 and I've been working at my job for about 5 years now. Currently, I have about 58 bucks in my checking account, which is all the money I have to my name. I have rent, bills, car payment etc. which I always pay 100% on time and am never late, thankfully. However, I have zero money saved. My group of friends doesn't really sympathize with my situation and they are constantly going out doing things and inviting me. I'm already a bit of a hermit but I suppose I tend to splurge on things I really don't need. (got a mint account and saw I spent $375 dollars on fast food last month alone)

Realistically, after rent, car and bills I should have an additional $800 left over for the month for food/gas but I am always right at zero dollars whenever payday rolls around. I want to get started on a budget but I really have no idea where to start. I've actually never gone grocery shopping before either. I feel like it's partly how I was raised, parents never really had money, and didn't care about the money they did have.

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/34foq8/26_living_paycheck_to_paycheck_at_10hr_465_hours/

OP apparently has severe anxiety and agoraphobia so this may be more "sad with money" than "bad with money".

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Not Reddit, for a change: OP uses his company credit card for personal use, racks up $20k balance.

quote:

A reader writes:

The short version of the story is that I genuinely misunderstood the way my corporate credit card was to be used. I have been using it over the last few years regularly for personal reasons, including medical, car payments (a car is required for my job, but not covered under expenses), and general personal shopping. My girlfriend did not have income for two years, and I used the card to cover expenses beyond my paycheck.

I can use PayPal to get cash out of the card and into my bank account, so what I have been doing is waiting until the bill is due (a new billing cycle) and taking out that amount with PayPal, then using the cash to pay it off, plus adding in my own money to try and reduce the balance a little. This just means I get charged PayPal fees for the cash advance, and it means nothing more is due until the next billing cycle. This results in the next month having that balance plus charges, minus any and all money I can put toward it out of my pay (generally $2,000 a month).

Somehow I have managed to rack up a rolling balance of $20,000 on this card and I can’t ever pay it all off in one go. I had a bankruptcy a few years ago and cannot qualify for a loan to cover the full amount.

I am scared to bring it up with my manager because it might mean I will lose my job once they realize what’s been happening, and if I lose my job I will no longer be able to contribute the $2,000 each month toward paying the balance off. Some people even have suggested I might be up for serious legal problems, and I just feel so stressed out every single day about the situation.

It gets worse from there.

http://www.askamanager.org/2015/06/i-racked-up-20000-in-personal-charges-on-my-company-credit-card.html#comments

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

BigDave posted:

Didn't barbers used to pull teeth and amputate limbs?

Shave and a haircut, no legs!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
This one is just sad. High school kids writes a bunch of checks, tells his friends they're "souvenir checks" and not to cash them, but they do and he loses all his money and then some.

quote:

The checks were really cool, I never had anything like them before. But I was kind of sad because I didn’t have anything to use them for. I had a lot of friends over last week and I showed them the checks and they all thought they were really cool too. I got the idea that I could give my friends some souvenir checks. I TOLD them these were ONLY SOUVENIRS. We had a blast that day, I was acting like a billionaire and making jokes asking people how much money they needed and then writing them a fake check. I kept telling them it was all FAKE and they couldn’t cash the checks.
I went to the bank this afternoon to sort it out and I asked how much money was in the account. They said there was NOTHING in the account and that I owed THEM money for fees. I felt like I was going to faint or throw up so I got out of there as fast as I could (didn’t explain the situation to them).

link.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Not Reddit, for a change: OP uses his company credit card for personal use, racks up $20k balance.
It gets worse from there.

http://www.askamanager.org/2015/06/i-racked-up-20000-in-personal-charges-on-my-company-credit-card.html#comments

Remember the person from askamanager.com who ran up $20k on their company credit card? He fessed up and everything went better than expected:

quote:

I put together a quick budget, reflecting that with no more spending on the card and no more of the monthly PayPal fees, I can get this paid off within 12 months, through payroll reductions alone. And I have stated that I’m still exploring any possiblites of loans, as well as seeking overtime and the possiblity of some weekend work to reduce the timeframe for total payback.

I am SHOCKED they didn’t fire me on the spot, relieved that it seems legal action is low on the list of likely outcomes, and totally amazed at their level of understanding and willingness to help me. It’s like this huge, scary, heavy, unknown thing that has been causing depression and taking my mind very dark dark places over the last 4 years is now lifted and I see a light … at the very least, it’s not going to grow any bigger. PayPal fees are out of the equation, so any contribution I make is going 100% towards the outstanding amount. You know, my friend, I think I am standing two inches taller.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 21, 2015

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Since Blue Story's thread in E/N is currently closed, I'll share this here: I met a Star Wars Hoarder in real life yesterday. He is the friend of an acquaintance, and he had multiple Star Wars decals on his car and a Darth Vader shirt on, so of course I asked him how excited he was for the new movie. He said he was so excited he could barely breathe, but was disappointed in the selection of the toys that came out. He was visiting his mother when they were released, and she wouldn't let him borrow her car ("it's not like she was using it, either!") so he rented a car to go buy Star Wars toys at midnight at Wal-Mart.

Elsewhere in the conversation he mentioned that all his current Star Wars toys are boxed up and that he needs to buy all new shelves to display them on.

It's possible he's got the income to support this as a single guy with no kids, but geez.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

quote:

My fiancee and I are 23 years old; I'm in graduate school, making $24k/year on a research assistant stipend. My fiancee recently finished her undergraduate degree and got a pretty decent job in her field, making $34k/year. However, she got very stressed out with the number of hours she was working (~50 hours per week at work, plus another ~25 per week at home). After about a month, she started getting really bad anxiety and began to have panic attacks, and decided to leave her job due to mental health reasons. Since then, she's been looking for many part-time jobs, but hasn't heard back on any of them (and most of them pay $10-11/hr). Additionally, she's wanting to go back to graduate school next year and complete a master's degree in a field that pays about the same as her undergraduate field (hint: neither pays well).

I want her to be happy and I want her to be able to go to graduate school, but I don't know if we can afford it. Here's our finances:

My income: $1750/month after taxes

Rent: $850/month

Electric: $75/month

Water/sewage/trash: $40/month

Cable/internet: $190/month (bundle pricing just ended, we're going to get this cost down in the next week)

Groceries: $300/month

Fast food: $300/month (not my doing...)

Gas: $100/month

Clothes: $50/month

Hobbies: $50/month

Miscellaneous (books, school expenses, wedding expenses, etc): $300/month

Car/renter's insurance: $200/month

Expenses total: ~$2450/month

So, on average, we're in the hole about $700/month. I have about $32k saved up, but I already blew through a couple thousand of that when I was supporting both of us on my income before her job started. Tuition for her degree would be about $15k over the course of 2 years. If we stay at $700 in the hole each month, that's about $17k that we'd be out over the next 2 years, plus the $15k in tuition for her degree. Basically, if she goes back to graduate school, we will have to burn through all the money I've saved up, and be left with almost nothing in 3 years' time.

I want to be supportive of her, but looking at this pragmatically, I don't see how we can do this. I'm not sure what advice I'm expecting, but my head has been spinning for the past few weeks and I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any sort of advice?

Half of their overspending is fast food for one person!

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3n4fud/fiancee_quit_her_job_and_we_are_in_a_pretty_big/

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

District Selectman posted:

The ocean is full of death and decay and wants to consume you - do not live on it.

How about the Great Lakes? According to Moby Dick they're pretty much like an ocean.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Dillbag posted:

She put it through the washing machine and dried it out for two weeks and it worked. Then she tried to sell it to me for two grand because "it was brand new and barely used" and I laughed in her face.

Like, the washing machine for clothes? I cannot believe a laptop would survive a run through a washing machine.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

NancyPants posted:

Yeah dishwasher with no detergent could probably do it.

I'm still having a hard time believe that the answer to "liquid in laptop" is "more liquid in laptop".

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Renegret posted:

I know a dude who's wife gave him some cash to put a down payment on a party hall for their daughter's graduation party, and he went and spent it all on lotto tickets instead. His wife later found duffle bags full of scratch offs. This was years ago, I don't really know where they stand on his addiction right now.

There was some thread on Reddit today that I saw on my phone at lunch, in one of the relationship subreddits, where a woman was posting because her boyfriend drained their entire savings account to buy $120k worth of Powerball tickets, but I can't find it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Guy on local political discussion show: "My wife has horses. That's why I'm not retired."

• Locked thread