Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
ooo, is this where i get to talk about my brother in law? Hell yes.

Note, this may come across as slightly biased cause i hate the bastard but:

They sell their condo (which was given to them by his dad) in NJ to move to SD. Make a fair bit of profit off of it (since they got it for free), use ~60k as a downpayment for a 180k house, not a dumb financial decision.

Then he went out and decided to refinish the basement. Entirely himself, and entirely not up to code. (it looks good, but I shudder to think what's behind those walls...he got busted before with like 10k in fines at their old old house for putting central air in a place that's on the historic register and not pulling a single permit). And then decided to buy not one, not two, but four 40+ inch flat screens. And an X box. and a Wii. and a boat...and a new truck for him. and a new car for my sister.

And then they adopted a kid. A special needs kid at that. Nice and admirable. Except for the fact that they constantly complain about giving away government benefits while collecting their check every month for him. And they spoil him rotten. There's nothing against giving your kid toys. But kid does not need to walk out with $10 worth of stuff every time they go in to WalMart. It's one thing to bribe your kid into putting up with shopping with a .50 candy bar.

He complains about how bad I am with money, when he's the one that has 6 figures in judgements against him. He ran up something like 180k in debt *not* counting the mortgage and HELOC they took out. They're currently using my mom's bank account for some of their automatic withdrawals for these judgements because Wells Fargo closed theirs out due to insufficient funds and their being a lien against it. He's stuck using one of those prepaid accounts from WalMart.

He makes the minimum payments on everything, will never get out of the crushing pile of debt he put on, and relies on my elderly mother to pay his mortgage. But when I pointed out that if it wasn't for the 1200+ my mom pays them in rent they'd be on the street he threw me out and told me to never set foot on his property again, and pointed out I'm not good with money either. (admittedly...I'm not the best. Largely due to massive substance abuse problems. When I'm medicated and sober I have oodles of money.).

The kicker? They can't even file bankruptcy because my sister needs to stay bonded for her job (she does finance for a hospital) and if she files bankruptcy she loses that. Considering that he's a retail jockey (at age 44...he had made it up to department sup at a home depot before he got demoted) they can't afford to lose her income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Bob Mundon posted:

There are plenty in those price ranges, but I'd guess for every one there is 20 that are sub 3k a year, and many less than 2. Citing places like Bel-Air/Riviera/Madison Club is faaaaaar from the norm. Probably would be equivalent to citing a $5,000,000 house as an average home purchase, or likely more.

The cheaper types of clubs only appeal if you like to golf a lot though, not if you are looking for a status symbol.

*In the interest of full disclosure, if I had the money to afford a membership at Riviera, I totally would.

Yeah, Jasna Polana was the ritzy club in town and that's like 50k just in initiation fees, etc.

But for Jasna Polana we also had like 60 other golfcourses including the one my buddy caddy'd at where it was "$10 for 18 holes, wear loving whatever" golf course. There are definitely tons of cheap golf options out there if you're a golfer, but if you're a serious golfer, or if you are in an area where the country club thing is still big (is there anywhere like that anymore? I mean even loving Princeton, the waspiest of WASP towns is breaking away from it) i suppose it can definitely be worth it if you golf frequently. (I mean, my friends dad would usually make it out 5-6 times a week and if he wasn't at the course he had net set up in his yard to hit into, so for them, the $15k they spent in his CC membership/yr was totally worth it, as if he had to pay $50/week at the cheap course and then extra for little pro shop stuff and cart rental and stuff he'd be well over the 15k he paid to get all the little amenities. He's also the oddball where leasing a car made more sense than buying. She bought, he leased cause he was in sales, needed to constantly be impressing clients, and the company paid like 60% of his lease.) But they're not the ones bad with money, they do some things that make no sense to a lot of people, but they work in their specific and unique set of circumnstances, like leasing one of the cars, and then they did lease their oldest daughters car because one of the stipulations with the dealership they went to is they could transfer the lease to any other model car by the manufacturer in a similar price range, knowing their daughter's indecisiveness about everything, and they used that lease to trade for different models twice because she didn't like the car she had, so it made sense cause in that 2yr span, they could afford it, and the daughter was really bad with money at the time. (She has since gotten way more responsible since marrying a good blue collar guy and realizing that "Parents who are mid level execs for multi-national corp" is not an average salary to live on, and has since scaled her spending down to be considerably more modest...it's no longer designer everything every season and is instead "A few designer things a year as a treat, and keeping designer poo poo that's a season or two out because no one actually cares in the real world if your clothes are a season out of date") Yes, their kids were spoiled, but they cleared 300k between em, had enough in their 401k to last them both well into their 110s, paid for both their kids to go to college debt-free, so hey, they had the income to spoil their kids. I kinda envy my friend cause she got to get her masters debt free and landed a great gig teaching that pays enough of her bills as a part-time thing that she can devote herself to her main love, cheerleading, while she's still young and limber, and she pays the rest of her bills with the money she gets coaching cheer squads. She has a roommate to cut on her expenses, so she's not living the high life, but she manages to live well for herself, saves a bit, but she is a little more cavalier than some of us just because she knows in case of serious emergency like breaking both arms and both legs at the same time, or ebola breaking out and having to go a month+ without any income, even temp work, she can count on The Bank of Mom and Dad. She has enough covered to lose the teaching gig for 3 months or the cheer gig for a year, and she's not below picking up retail to supplement either income, so she's in great shape for her early 20's. But this is not the "people who make good decisions after being dealt a good hand in life" thread.

"This is the people who are bad with money" thread,a nd until the country club thing popped up which got me going...

I originally came here to post about my friend C. C is a great guy, but C's never been good with money. He's smart, but he wastes money pissing it away on little piddly poo poo, and laziness. Like fines because he forgets to pay fines, $50 overdue fees at the library cause he forgets to bring books back, kinda pissing money away poo poo. C is great at what he does, and quickly rose to the top of his department at his old job, and his boss who had only seen him running the production side of things quickly took him under his wing to take over the company. Now, those of us who know C had sorta remarked when he said he was taking poo poo over that he wanted to get himself a good accountant and stuff, and let the people who know money handle the money. C...is a fiercely independent farm boy. So long as politics ain't on the table (he's polite enough not to bring em up, and we're polite enough to forget he's a hard core red-state republican) And he decided he didn't need help, he always paid his bills, why would it be any different with the business? Well, he pissed away money and the other investors saw their profits starting to drop, and quickly bought C out of his shares of the company. What does C do? Not learn from this experience. No, he goes and opens his own biz in the same industry. Again, we remark that he should leave money with money people, and...of course, C knew better, and for the first few years, C made money hand-over-fist, because he got to put a whole bunch of efficient poo poo together, and lucked into a bunch of poo poo as well. We all kinda shut up cause we figured C really did learn his lesson.

Now, a few years later C is in debt up to his eyebrows begging one of us to take this biz off his hands. And he's still too proud to file for bankruptcy, especially since he was at least smart enough to set up a corp and put everything in the name of the corp. So he owes money to the city, to the state, to employees, to suppliers, to contractors, to the landlord, to pretty much loving everyone and he's in a scramble every day to cover day-to-day obligations of the business. And his dumb rear end, rather than continue to keep trying to keep the biz afloat with its own money started sinking the money he made back into it as it kept failing and failing and failing worse and worse due to dumb poo poo, like forgetting to pay this bill and then having late fees, or forgetting to get his unemployment taxes in, so he had a fine for that, or forgetting to set up witholdings correctly so it hit him for the wrong amount, and then he had to pay the difference, sort of things, and during slow months it started to hit the "need to take out credit to cover things, but then buisness picks up and covers it" stages since he had sort of pissed away the liquid reserves that he had, but he'd miss a payment and get slammed with interest, not because he hadn't had a good month, but just out of his own laziness. If he just had someone for the money side of things, he'd still be making money hand over fist, since the company does bring in revenue - and could be making twice what it does if he was able to focus on running it again instead of the madcap scramble to cover obligations but its managed to wind up upside down on the debt/revenue balance over a series of years, all from piddly poo poo.

I used to waste money too (I still do, but I'm getting better and better at it every month, it becomes a lot easier to deny yourself a starbucks after you've gone two weeks without one than it is the first day.) but C...C is a great cautionary tale.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 10, 2014

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

legsarerequired posted:

More packages came in for my bad-with-money roommate today. Judging by the shape/weight/size, they look like DVDs and maybe another package of whippit cannisters. I don't even understand what he could possibly have a need to buy at this point. This was supposed to be for his dental surgery.

Hey, maybe the dentist told him that the laughing gas costs extra, so he decided to bring his own instead!

...seriously tho, whippits in general are "bad with money". I'm not going to lie, when i have some extra money burning a hole in my pocket, i pick some up now and again. But they're way way way more expensive than the rush they give. At this point, he'd be better off buying a drat tank.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hey this guy invests in stocks the same way I do!

...the difference is i only ever invest with play money because I know I am horrible at picking stocks and when my 401k got rolled over to an IRA my choices were "proven fund, proven fund, another fund, and a bunch of bonds" Sure, this means I probably won't be able to cash it out at 59 1/2 and a live the good life for the next 30 years after, but on the other hand, it means i probably will be able to retire.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Cloks posted:

Almost six months. I only realized because they just switched to Fidelity and I had to set up an account with them.

Do you not read your paystubs? I always check mine to make sure the deductions are right, and i definitely would have noticed my $40/paycheck not going into my 401k.

Now that it's an IRA though after leaving said company, I sorta set it and forgot it. It may be one of the slowest growing retirement funds out there since I'm not currently contributing, but goddammit, it's there and i'm one of like 3 of my friends that can say I have a retirement fund.

Hell, my entire generation is "bad with money". We got out of college in the middle of a recession, so so many of us just said "gently caress it" and are not caring about their money at all. It's the ones that spend it on inane crap that i just don't get. Blowing money on a hobby is blowing money, but you're deriving enjoyment from it. Blowing money on vacations is the same. Hell, blowing money on blow is at least giving you a few hours of fun. But, at least among a lot of my friends, there's this simultaneous "keep up with the joneses" drive that comes from growing up in an upper-middle-class suburb, and the "Be a free, independent hipster!" drive, which results in wasting money on things like going out and buying a 64" tv two weeks before black friday. IF you can't wait two weeks to buy a huge TV when that huge TV is going to be $500 cheaper, well, you're bad with money. No one has 401ks/IRAs, no one has any plans for emergency funds. It sucks, but when you're paycheck-to-paycheck because that is all you can find with a college degree, I dunno if it's bad with money, or the economy being bad with us.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Devian666 posted:

It does make me wonder how much the parents were an influence on poor decision making despite making him poor with student loans. Nothing like family putting on pressure to get a degree you never liked, or even if you never wanted the education.

This right here is "parents, high school administrators and society being bad with other people's money". It's pushed so hard that you must go to college to succeed that a lot of kids, including those that know that they are in no way shape or form ready for college, wind up in massive student loan debt for unfinished degrees.

Whereas if they had just gone off and done retail for a year or two while thinking about what they wanted to do for a living, maybe taking some CC courses in a bunch of different fields so they can find something they like now that it's removed from the slog and grind of HS busywork, they'd A) likely have some money saved up for school, and B) be way way more likely to finish their degree.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

Therapy is BAD with money. Unless you make 70k+ a year and are debt free, seeing a therapist is fiscally irresponsible to the utmost degree. Even with great insurance, it's still probably going to cost you about a day (or 2) of earnings you will never be able to recover to talk with a person for an hour. Forget that people who could benefit from therapy likely have trouble maintaining/obtaining employment. I think people suggest therapy too freely with a lack of foresight, it's very expensive and could very well contribute to financial ruin.

Therapy by itself can be, but therapy with medication could save a lot of people with untreated mental illnesses that are causing them to gently caress off about work, bills, etc. Getting treatment for mental illness is not bad with money, it's like telling someone who has cancer that "chemo and radiation are expensive, even with good insurance, don't go!"

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

In 5th grade, we had a project where you were "given" a million dollars and had to show how you'd spend it, but you weren't allowed to invest it or buy a house. About all it taught us is that a million dollars may as well be infinite for everything a 5th grader would want. :/

This actually isn't a bad lesson to learn for kids. It shows that after a while, you sorta stop running out of things to buy, and often do you touch those shiny new toys anyway? Of course this is only effective if it's coupled with "this is why you save" IE "you're going to run out of things to want to buy if you only buy stuff, but investments can make you more money to leave you in a better place when you retire"

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I remember reading that shampoo and body soap were basically the same thing, and when my shampoo ran out a month or so ago and I started just using the body soap for everything, and can notice zero difference in my hair. I am but a simple dude though.

If you're a guy with short hair, and have been lucky enough to have non-oily and non-dry hair, you can totally get away with using soap. When i have short hair, i get away with using soap.

However since my hair is currently halfway down my back, i don't have that luxury, since i have to use moisturizing shampoo+conditioner otherwise my hair dries out and tangles super easy (I mean just the friction from my head against the headrest in the car can cause major snarls). Part of the problem is i use cheap shampoo and conditioner, and if i decided to upgrade i would definitely use less, but not so much less it justifies the $15 salon bottle over the $1.00 bottle of Suave.

However, it does wind up with me needing a haircut every 3 months for split ends. But I also cheap out on the haircut and go to the beauty school where I can get a nice haircut for $8, or a cut+color for $25.

We had the best concept when we did a secret santa at my old office. $25 max, on the card with your name, you had to put down 3 things you wanted. This way even if you drew someone you didn't know you'd have a list of 3 cheap things to pick from that wouldn't dissapoint them.

Of course we kept it to within the sales department so we all knew each other so it generally was "cheapest of the three things you could find+a gag gift" to keep it under the $25. I got a nice hat, person I drew got two movies they'd wanted for a while, etc.And then the department manager got us all an Axe shampoo+bodywash gift set. (I'm actually sad they stopped making the scent i got...it wasn't the axe for women, but it was a really good scent that was somewhat gender neutral and didn't smell manly on me at all. The two girly girls got the Axe for women, but the department manager actually went through and picked scents for us that worked well for us, which i thought was a thoughtful way to personalize a somewhat impersonal gift)

Bad with money: my company that's going under that I just half bailed/half was let go...the owner just got two of his cars repo'd for taking out title loans on them to try and keep the business afloat. Yes you're over six figures in debt and rather than simply dissolve the coorporation or file for bankruptcy, dude decided that it was a brilliant idea to take out personal debt instead.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 7, 2014

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Bwm: Building a million+ dollar house, and now having to either tear it down or move it, because you ignored building code for a historic district

I walk past this monstrosity on a daily basis, and the pictures don't do the lack of setback justice...it is directly on the lot line, and dwarfs everything around it. It's a three block wide park and you can see it on the other side of the park.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Splish posted:

As someone who kinda works in preservation, there is no way that the Board of Historic Preservation was unaware of the National Register standards. Compliance with the national register is the loving reason boards like that exist.

http://www.siouxfalls.org/mayor/boards-commissions/historic-preservation-bd

It doesn't take much to join the board. There is also the fact that the previous home that this one replaced wasn't on the register. This is kinda the rear end end of said historic district (I'm a block away -my house is 30s, a house on one side is 80s, and on the other side the original construction is from the 10s, but it's been renovated a bunch). Plus this town treats historic properties like poo poo. Half the historic homes have been gutted and redone as 4-5 apartments. Mine for example has 2 2bds, our 3bd, and the property managers 3bd apartments, it what was originally a 4 bedroom house.

GWM is getting a 3 bedroom for 550/mo. BWM is the landlord not wanting to provide materials to redo the windows with new insulation.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Ashcans posted:

I think normally historic preservation only applies to the exterior of buildings, so its ok if you do whatever inside as long as it still looks the same (or at least historically appropriate) on the outside. Probably because the task of enforcing how many bedrooms people have is just too much to manage.

If I understand it correctly, the problem is that they built so close to a historic house that they actually hosed it up - part of the complaint is that the house was so close, the neighbors were told that they could no longer use their fireplace because it was a fire hazard to the new building. And because its a historic house, they couldn't switch to a gas fireplace - so there was a measurable and definite damage to the neighbors caused by the house. It seems like if they had built further away or something, it wouldn't have kicked off the whole mess?

I don't really know what they were thinking anyway. I mean legal issues aside, if you are building a new house and your neighbor threatens to file a lawsuit, maybe you should talk to them and try to work it out? Even if you are in the legal right, starting off by making the people living next to you hate your guts is just going to make your life lovely. Neighbors are often irritating enough without giving them a concrete reason to want to gently caress you.

I know some states actually care. Ask my ex BIL who got hit with the hilariously BWM 6 figure fine for putting central air into their old place in NJ. Who got a second fine on top of that one because he thinks he's above pulling permits.

Actually he's a great case of BWM. He was working for a pawn shop/tourist trap run by the owner of a former payday loan place. Well, SD voters passed a measure to cap payday loan interest at 36%. So owner took his ball and went home. Everyone in town knew as soon as the measure passed that dude was going to close the place. My ex BIL never bothered to look for another job. He also decided that 900/mo is a good rent to pay with his new girlfriend. You can easily get a *nice* place in town for way less than that. He also was at my work buying a $500 tv the day he lost his job. But can't afford to pay my sister child support. And my sister can't even make enough off the sale of the house to buy a new one because...None of the renovations he did were permitted,and some may not be to code.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I can't imagine making ends meet on $2000 a month.

We do, with $700 or so left over. With a $180 phone bill (only for one more month, then the BOGO for my phone kicks in, saving 28/mo.)

Granted, we also get food stamps, which means our out of pocket groceries are only ~150/mo for things like diapers, hygiene and paper goods. And medicaid. When I lose my medicaid coverage in October, my hubby has no choice but to go back to work.

Qualifying for state assistance is GWM.

That $400 car payment is...jesus. granted, if I got a car, I'd be looking at about the same, which is why 1/2 of our extra money is going towards saving for a new car, so we can just buy something outright. I'll take the bus for the next three months, thank you.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

It is when your rent is >$1000, which is almost every major US city. That's why people here can't even conceive of it.

The reddit poster is likely from Michigan, as a quick Google reveals that's where 80% of Edward Rose properties are. None of the rest are in anywhere that could be called a major city.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

$1200 is a steal for a good daycare in my part of the country. I don't think this guy realizes that there are mandated staff to child ratios.

That's twice what we'd pay for an infant. 1200 is nuts. 600 is on the high end here, most places are $175/wk. This is in a state with 1/5 staffing minimums, the places that charge 175 are 1/3, 1/5 averages about 75-100 or so a week.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

It's probably in Des Moines

That's jastiger. :colbert:

I'm on the other side of Iowa.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

pig slut lisa posted:

In a reply, the OP mentions that he lives in a one bedroom apartment by himself...so what's with the two car payments?

$10 says one was for an ex.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

Marine Biology was imprinted into 80s/90s kids brains due to it literally being in the zeitgeist. I mean look at this:

The Voyage of the Mimi (1984)
The Second Voyage of the Mimi (1988)
The Little Mermaid (1989)
Free Willy (1993)
Free Willy 2: The Adventure Home (1995)
Flipper (the tv show, 4 seasons starting 1995)
Flipper (1996)
Free Willy 3: The Rescue (1997)

e: forgot the flipper tv show

Don't forget Echo the Dolphin.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5w4x3y/im_30_and_have_1825k_in_student_loans_totaling/

Took out 182k in student loans.
Makes 50k/yr
Has almost $500/mo car payment
Wants "more house" for their as of yet unplanned children

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

More horse BWM , courtesy of r/legaladvice

quote:

I got hired by an equestrian center, where I was working with horses and stallions. I was only there a week when the owner of the stallions asked me to walk behind a stallion with a broom to get him to go back into his stall. The particular horse we were getting into the stall doesn't like another stallion in a different stall that we were walking past. He started to freak out, reared up both rear legs and kicked out, my hand was broken in the process, a complete fracture to one of my bones. Surgery was needed, and a plate and seven screws were needed to fix the break. It was going to go on workmans comp, until the owner of the horse barn told me he hadn't put me on the books yet, when he said he was going to on my hire date. He ended up paying me cash the week after my surgery with a written pay stub. My boss was going to put it on the barn insurance and told me to lie to the adjuster about how the incident had happened in order for them to cover it. I chose not to lie and told them the truth. The insurance took 3 months to come to a decision of which they denied to cover it because they do not cover medical. My surgery is costing $25,000 of which the owner of the horse is not willing to pay. I need to take action as it has now been 4 months since the incident and my surgery. I have the text messages and voice-mail of my boss telling me to lie to the adjuster and I still have the written paystub. I had contacted Sam Bernstein and Feiger law and they said they could not help. What should my next plan of action be? I don't see how I don't have a case...

Yes, insurance fraud is the best solution to this horse related issue!

Also, my husband and I keep talking about wanting to buy a house in the country by his family. He keeps saying he wants horses. All the more reason for us to keep separate accounts.

(In his defense, he's from KY, and horses there are really cheap because everyone has the next Seabiscuit, and then when they don't, they offload them for the tens of dollars instead of hundreds of dollars. And he grew up with horses, and wants our son to grow up learning how to ride. Luckily he is willing to compromise and just pay for lessons or find a neighbor who will just let our son ride for free to exercise the horses, or will trade lessons for barn work.)

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/601w3k/i_bought_a_car_5_months_ago_having_trouble/

Dude makes 1k.

His cat payments and insurance are $600.

He also has a beater he drives to work/school, but takes his new 350z when he "goes out"

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

GWM: Having a 3 bedroom apartment, and having a friend that just when through a breakup and needed somewhere to stay.

BWM: He's literally subsidizing our rent. We pay $550, he's giving up $500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

Where do you live? Thailand?

South Dakota.

We're way below market, cause the place has a lot of cosmetic issues (previous residents were tweakers who punched a few holes in the wall) and the landlord can't be bothered to fix it.

Our new roommate knew how much we pay. We *told* him the whole place is only $550. We were expecting like $200 or so.

Nope "I'll give you guys $500, and $20 a week for groceries."

We're not going to turn it down. It's actually a GWM move for him, because he was paying $750 in rent with his ex, and had to buy all his groceries because his girlfriend was a :hambeast: who refused to share her food. I don't blame him for getting out of that completely poo poo situation, especially because she's got issues, he's got issues, and their subscriptions just didn't work together. But still, someone tells you "yeah, just kick us something for rent/bills/food and we're square" and his offer is...way more than half of everything.

• Locked thread