Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
A co-worker was complaining about our employer when she said "That's why I liked my last employer, they would work with me whenever I got a raise so I would not enter a higher tax bracket". When I told her that her employer was screwing her out of more money she looked at me like I was retarded and then explained to me the difference between being taxed 15 and 25% of my income. I started to explain marginal tax rates to her but I could tell it wasn't sinking in. This is the same person who told me that she would never believe that tobacco causes cancer because the cancer comes from the additives the government puts in the cigarettes.

The sad thing is the tax thing is common sense for most people. The same goes for saving for retirement. My parents always saved a lot of their income in their 401ks but my mom told me that after the recession she freaked out about how much she "lost" in her 401k so she moved everything to bonds. Thankfully when I talked to my dad about this he just sighed and said he was never able to convince my mom that the dollar amount of her 401k didn't matter and that he hadn't touched his. A lot of people are like my mom though, they're great at saving money but they kill their savings after a bust which we're supposed to expect every decade or so.

edit: Honestly the smartest person I know with money is my brother. He bought a trailer, a used truck and a lawnmower. He earns enough to pay the bills and buy the things he wants, which doesn't take very long He doesn't have kids and is one of those people who's going to be good looking his whole life so he'll just have a different girlfriend take care of him every 5 years or so. When he hits his 40s or 50s he'll probably inherit enough to get him through another decade or longer since his lifestyle is so inexpensive. If he runs out of money and is too old to work when he's 70 I doubt he will care.

Retired at 26, I hope he doesn't screw it up.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
My neighbor got $18,000 for his 18th birthday from some wrongful death lawsuit his mother won in court back when they were kids. He bought a car in June, decked it out with stereo equipment, started going to strip clubs, wrecked the car and was completely broke by the end of the summer.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
When my grandparents hear the world "collectible" they go insane and buy it all up. They'll always open up glass cabinets full of things they're preserving (stuff I would consider junk) and they'll happily note that the item is a "collectible" and may be worth something some day.

I also remember being a kid when that article about comic books came out suggesting that they would make a great investment. Then a whole bunch of people that had absolutely no interest in reading comics started buying them up and fueled a bubble. My parents even got into it and bought my brother and I a bunch of comics for us to hold onto.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

particle409 posted:

Whenever I hear "trip to Vegas" it sets off a red flag for me. I've been to Vegas. Yeah, there's lots of cool stuff besides gambling, but it's all very expensive and there is almost always something cheaper closer to where people live. Most major American cities have entertainers coming through on a regular basis. If you're going to Vegas for the gambling, then you should probably be in fantastic financial shape.

Yeah, I didn't know this person on Facebook but I used to see him bitch about his student loans and how expensive his kids are to a friend of mine every now and then. Then one day I see "gently caress yeah I got my huge rear end tax return I'm going to Vegas baby!".

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 21, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
edit: eh nm.

A co-worker (who is always complaining about money and taxes) just financed a new car and a mortgage. The house is about an hour away from work.

Another thing I've noticed is that the people I've met who complain about federal income taxes (In the United States of all places) regularly are really bad with money. There are definitely some people that have legit reasons to complain about taxes (especially local taxes) but every median-upper income person I've met that complains about federal income tax are big/wasteful spenders. The reason they start complaining about taxes is because they're constantly living paycheck to paycheck so they're more likely to think "Gee I would have so much more money right now if it wasn't for taxes".

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 23, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Volmarias posted:

We spent about $10k on our wedding, which for the area we're in is cheap. We could have easily blown 20 or more.

Totally worth it.

Same. I was totally happy with a courthouse wedding but my wife is from South America and really wanted her big expensive Catholic wedding. We ended up settling with a Cruise Ship wedding which was surprisingly great until the honeymoon started and I realized the entire crew was staffed with immigrant slave labor :(

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

SpelledBackwards posted:

So, they were the Dinks from the show Doug? Mr. and Mrs. Dink (i.e., Dual Income No Kids) always had the latest fishing gear or what have you to show Doug.

Reminds me of that episode of Rugrats where Chucky's dad won the lottery but lost all of his money when it turned out the Ear-Wiz actually increased waxy buildup.

Anyway did they invest by giving the inventor money or did they just buy stuff off the TV and sell it?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Things would slow down but nothing would really change if everyone saved an equal amount, if the poor/lower classes started saving a higher percentage than the rich (and could hold onto it for a long time) then things would change because wealth would slowly transfer from the top to the bottom.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

razz posted:

See, to me that's not stupid, that's awesome. What do most rich people do with extra money? Throw it in the stock market or some other account where it is effectively removed from the economy. These rich people are stimulating the economy and supporting a your friend's local business as well. I like to see rich people spend their money. In an ideal world, that's what all rich people would do - spend lots of money, and spend it locally. Put more money into the hands of the townspeople, you know?

If they're in debt or not paying their bills or whatever, I'd change my tune. But that story seems like a net positive for everyone, and the economy.

Yeah, the best rich people are the ones that get rich, blow all of their money/give it to charity and die penniless. I'm not being sarcastic at all. Despite what my avatar suggests I don't dislike all rich people, just the ones that have been passing down wealth and collecting dividend checks for generations. I'm sorry but your kids/my kids should have to earn their living like everyone else. At least this guy probably makes his kids do actual work.

Anyway this guy across the street from my work was having a hard time selling furniture. So he put up signs up and down the highway that read "EMERGENCY FURNITURE LIQUIDATION SALE! EVERYTHING MARKED DOWN!"

Everyone that walks into his store and buys anything is bad with money.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

No Wave posted:

But I bet if there were a proposal for a guaranteed minimum income for your home country you'd be in favor of it, right?

Yeah, I do but I would also raise the estate tax considerably (edit: not 100% People should be able to leave their kids some things obviously) Even without inherited wealth people would still benefit greatly from having wealthy parents. At least that way my country/the world would be significantly closer to being a true meritocracy.

edit: under a guaranteed minimum income I could die knowing that your kids and my kids would both be OK.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 27, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Harry posted:

Did the roommates not want this? I'm failing to see the problem here.

Yeah I'm wondering what the conversion rate would be. I bet some people would believe that a $1 of weed is more valuable than a $1.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I believe most people are who they are because of chance, I mean no one chooses their genetics, who their parents are or anything else really that makes a person what they are. So yeah when you get down to it it is probably wrong to make fun of people for their bad decisions and how they turned out.

However, this is a forum where people get together to laugh at people who are different. Redditors, bronys, libertarians, furries, etc. So yeah, I have empathy for everybody but I can't help but laugh at the ridiculous things people do or believe. If you slip and fall face first into the mud I'll probably laugh but I'll also reach out a hand and help you up if I can.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 5, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I don't know about that. Imagine you're one of the ugly kids at school and you've been sheltered your whole life. The only group that's willing to accept you are the fedora wearing weirdos. Your choices are either to be alone or to hang out with the weird kids. I think most people would choose the latter if that's the hand they were dealt.

Sure there are people that break trends and stereotypes but once again I think there's something in their background that would explain why they were able to. I just have a hard time understanding how a completely normal person would choose "dressing like a dork and never getting laid" over something better.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 5, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah I have a co-worker that's really bad about lottery tickets. He bitches about how he can't afford Obamacare but probably spends $10 bucks on lottery tickets/scratchers a day not to mention his eating/drinking habits.

His problem is that he's one of those people in his mid fifties that was making bank before the recession and then lost his job the mountain of debt he was managing slowly tumbled on top of him. If I had no money in my mid fifties (and a lot of debt) I would probably be playing the lottery everyday too.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Why anyone has more than 2 kids in America is beyond me.

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/1sbfoz/huge_mess_help/

I really hate navigating reddit but the Personal Finance forum seems worth it.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 7, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

Jesus. I don't understand why it's so common for seemingly intelligent, educated people fail to anticipate how expensive children are.

How do poor people afford so many then? :colbert:

Seriously, I want to know that. I know there's help from the government (and the kids are entitled to it) but jesus is it really that much?

:smith:

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 19, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I don't have a problem with them receiving help but it does just blow my mind to see a family with 3-5 kids and a slammed grocery cart when I have anxiety issues over having just one.

edit: My guess is they do receive help (which is fine) but if I followed them home and lived a few days in their shoes I wouldn't be jealous of them.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 19, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Joking aside, I get kinda annoyed with people who say "so-and-so shouldn't have kids because they don't make enough money."

My response to this is always "So you're a freedom hater?" and if they want to be serious I just suggest that if they're so concerned about it/overpopulation then they shouldn't be against free and highly available birth control.

I haven't really looked into it but how many of us are accidents/unplanned again? 90%?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I think this qualifies as bad with money/finance,

My co-worker and I were doing our regular talk about the company we work for. Long story short, the company sucks (owners basically rob it blind) but could be great, blah blah. He mentioned how it would be nice to have healthcare and I mentioned 401k. He gave me this look and said, "You're not getting 401k. You're the only person here that would benefit from a 401k so why should we (Granted most of my co-workers are over 55 but they're still dumb to throw away free money and tax benefits of a 401k) help you get a 401k?

I was shocked at first, but the next time I passed him by I told him something like, "About that 401k thing, you're right you guys shouldn't have to pay for something you don't need. So I regret to inform you that I won't be signing up for HC if it's ever offered. I mean I'm the only young person here, I already get great HC with my wife's plan so why should I pay higher rates just so you old fucks can save hundreds of thousands of dollars on medical bills and maybe live a healthier life in the next decade?" :smug:

Seriously, I used to feel bad for him (he's the guy that could probably get decent exchange care today if he gave up the lottery tickets) but now I think I really would bail the company if they did ever force HC on us just because of that conversation. The only reason I stay is because it's easy, it pays well for being easy and I'm almost, in a sense, financially secure.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 21, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

SiGmA_X posted:

LMAO! How would having a 401(k) NOT help everyone? Good god, the logic there.

Basically everyone that works with the company is retarded with money or they're set.

The accountant is a self-admitted trust fund baby and doesn't need anymore retirement savings. Thank god he quit.

The owner got rich off of her dead husband.

The owner's kid doesn't work but is paid a salary anyway, that's called retirement in my book.

The secretary and the co-worker I spoke of are just really really bad with money. They're over 55 and don't really have anything to show for it except negative net worth. I used to feel bad for them but I've learned not to, they're literally the most selfish people I've ever met.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

No Wave posted:

Even without matching a 401k is worth it if it's with a good company and offers good investments, so I'd at least try to get them to open one without matching. It doesn't cost them anything and it's free tax breaks for employees who contribute.

Yeah, I already tried and only one other person but me was interested in it, even though I explained the tax benefits. Seriously I work with terribly stupid/selfish people. So I might as well be selfish too. I'm really not joking about the healthcare thing either, I used to help my co-workers out a lot with financial advice and was pretty selfless (gave rides when they needed them, helped them out at work, etc) until I had that conversation. I'm tired of being the good guy. So if we're ever offered employer sponsored HC I'm not signing up because I know I'll get a better deal through my wife's employer and since I'm the only young guy there any chance of getting good rates for the company would fly out the window if I wasn't on board.

I have my wife's 401k so I can always get her to contribute more to it so it doesn't matter for me anyway. Once I don't need this company anymore I'll probably leave unless I have a different set of co-workers than I do now.

edit: Also the "problem" with the 401k was that it cost my employer money (some kind of regulatory expense) that she was unwilling to pay because "boohoo I'm a small business owner and I just can't afford it" but when I found out the Simple IRA didn't include that expense they freaked the hell out because it forced them to match like 2% or something. Somehow her kid gets new golf clubs/scuba gear paid for by the company + his salary/travel expenses even though his sales don't outweigh his costs.

If the job just wasn't so easy I'd leave.

Anyway, I think we need a "People who are really good with money" thread.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 25, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

Maybe the reason AMERICA is bad with money is because car companies release commercials like this telling you to keep working hard to buy their products.

PS this car's MSRP is $75,000...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGJSI48gkFc

I think what bothers me most is that people (probably most) are actually heavily influenced by commercials in the first place. I mean yeah, I'm sure commercials have probably influenced my purchasing decisions in the past but I don't think they affect me as much as most people I know.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

Everyone thinks this.

I guess that's true. I would actually love to read studies on how commercials affect people.

Also, I failed to mention I rarely ever see or hear commercials thanks to Adblock and cutting cable so it wasn't a fair comparison.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

The comments are really great,

"but... he passed the classes.. :smith:" As one commenter said, he took someone the place of someone else and obviously didn't learn anything from the ethics classes.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Lowness 72 posted:

I've heard that the used car market has super low inventory now due to the recession and so prices were close to parity with new cars. Maybe that's no longer the case though

Yeah, a lot of people say "Cash for clunkers" contributed to it as well. I was even able to sell my 96 Rav 4 to a guy for $700 and it was leaking oil, had a cracked head-gasket, no ac, old tires and a couple hundred thousand miles on it. He probably got a deal if he was able to do the work himself but I remember when people were buying used cars for just a $1000 a couple years before.

I just remember after awhile it (cash for clunkers) seemed like an obvious scam, I didn't participate in it but my guess is there's nothing that prevents a dealer from taking advantage of things and upping prices to take advantage of a government program bringing in more customers. I heard the same thing happened with housing prices when the $8000 tax credit was being handed out.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Will there ever be such a thing as a cost effective electric car?

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 19, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I think I got coupons/deals and samart with archives so yeah it was worth it.

Seriously my prescription glasses cost like $15 bucks and I bought some goon's sweet 6 month old gaming rig for like $450 bucks.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 4, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Normally I wouldn't mention this because this woman obviously has some issues but she tried to screw me over a couple times so I don't feel bad.

Back when I was living with my cousin there was this woman (employee under him, single mom) that baby sat his kid for free :stare: and was always around. It was obvious she wanted a relationship with him but apparently she was the only one that couldn't see he wanted nothing to do with her (he's also a scumbag) but gladly let her watch his kid for free.

One day she shows up at the apartment with a copy of the wall street journal, tells me and him that she hasn't read it in awhile but she used to be a broker or something. Then she just stared at the paper for an hour and would make "huh" or "hmm" noises every now and then while spongebob blared for 4 hours on TV.

I didn't know anything about stocks back then but even I could tell she was full of it.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

Was he hitting that?

Once, he said it was terrible.

edit: If there was a bike route from my house to work I would take it. Otherwise I will be biking the the rail which will probably cost me a little less than gas and would reduce my vehicle upkeep costs.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 2, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

So what do you guys think about employees being expected to contribute money out of their paychecks towards getting Christmas gfts for their bosses to show their appreciation?

If my income was in the 6 digits (and I wasn't killing myself for it) I would probably buy my boss a gift but otherwise no.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Aliquid posted:

S...South Carolina?

It's not bad when you live next to the state line. I feel bad for most other people in SC though.

Personally I'd like to see how the states rank when unemployment is out of the equation.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 12, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Day Man posted:

I would send her to jail. No remorse.

Yeah, some people are just terrible.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

melon cat posted:

Does anyone else have friends who are buying new, bigger cars because of the dip in oil prices? My Facebook feed has about 12 people who are either considering financing a new, chunky truck/SUV "because gas is cheap", or have done it already.

:psyboom:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

zaurg posted:

wife bought some dish that now has the purpose of holding butter for $50 from costco last week

hello old friend.

You know guys I really miss Zaurg and Zaurg-likes can we agree not to chase off the funny ones? Maybe more people would post threads here.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Thread 1: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3175682

Thread 2: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470495

Spermy Smurf posted:

Also he cut his toenail (or callus) off with a butcher knife for some loving reason.

Wasn't it a wart?

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 7, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
At least with the high income he has the potential to make severe cuts and pay off all that debt in no time but then again I said the same thing about Slowmo.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Coworker told me he received 40,000 dollars from a dead relative and lost it all on a single trade during the .com bubble.

Recently he told me he's thinking about getting into day trading again.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

No Butt Stuff posted:

Can't quit while you're down! That's letting the house win.

Yeah this is the same guy that can't afford obummercare but probably spends a few hundred bucks a month on lottery tickets.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah I feel bad for her and it sucks that a lot of business boils down to deceiving people who are ignorant for good reasons, like being young.

Anyway anyone remember that episode of king of the hill where it turned out hank had been buying cars at sticker price his whole life?

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 8, 2015

• Locked thread