Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Inverse Icarus posted:

I'm going to be blunt and just say that's some stupid logic. If the income he makes is offset by the benefits he loses, he's effectively trading his time for nothing.

If he's got a roof over his head and food on the table and he wants something to do, have him take up a hobby you can help him turn into a business. He's done a lot of work with his hands, is he any good at woodworking? Does he have any other skills that create physical objects? Maybe he can build things and sell them locally on craigslist, or on etsy.

Getting a job so you "have something to do" without any real monetary incentive is insane.

I would disagree on this pretty strongly. Having a reason to get out of bed in the morning and be on time to is critically important at almost any age. If his Dad is just sitting around the house feeling sad for himself, a job may really help that. A job can be a major social outlet and a source of pride for someone, even if it nets them nothing more than sitting at home on the dole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

You're not wrong, but if having a job doesn't get him anywhere financially, he's probably better off with volunteering, doing some kind of freelance work, or picking up a more structured hobby. That way he gets the benefits of getting out of the house without all the bullshit that comes with depending on a job for immediate survival.

Freelance what? Handiman? I think a construction worker can probably do pretty well doing that sort of work while still staying on the dole and working under the table. That being said, most people want to work, and getting any sort of job even if it's financially break even can be great for many people's self esteem. You're looking at someone else's problem through the lense of someone who is young and probably has marketable skills.

Knyteguy posted:

My brother and sister-in-law came into a decent sum of windfall money (~$15,000) a few weeks ago, and they've been going nuts with it.

Also a bow-flex, new car, new rental house, etc. They've increased their income to the tune of maybe $1,500/mo, when they were making close to nothing before (especially with 3 kids), but once that $15,000 runs out I think they're in for a rude awakening.

I'm not judging because I've been there, but it's like drat we've been trying to put away money for over a year now and $15,000 is a lot of money actually. It's disappointing to see it disappear.

Lol @ fat-hand. Tell that dummy to go on a diet.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

No you see a man with a belly flowing over the top of the table and on the verge of breaking his mancelet is a true gourmand.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

They also spend $120/mo on "Convenience Store (getting something to drink while driving somewhere/candy/etc)"

I think the last time I bought something from a gas station store was back in 2011 when my windshield wiper stopped working during a long road trip and I needed some clean water to wash something off the windshield. Even that made me feel a little bad.

Hah dude - you realize how crazy you sound saying that?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Pretty sure the OP could be pretty financially secure by moderating their spending in the range of $500/month if they continue to be DINKs. If they decide to have kids, they'll really need to reign in the spending in order to maintain financial stability.

It seems like most of the OPs that stick with their threads seem to take *months* to 'get it'.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Oh - that post was supposed to be in the star wars lady's thread, oh well close enough.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Appearances matter. Not looking like an ex-con in important for many professions. Lots of jobs how you look can be as important as how you work. Wearing appropriate work attire and being well groomed is 100% worth the small investment.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Not necessarily bad with money.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Cadillac ad owns. :patriot:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

P sure you had a thread at that point and everyone was telling you to not buy a new car.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

There is no merit to any education except for one that is STEM focused.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Blinkman987 posted:

I posted this opinion last time it came up, but I feel strongly about it: There are lots of things that are not available to a person in their 30s that are available in their 20s. If you travel in your 20s solo or with friends and jump around hostels and countries, your stories will be much different than someone traveling in their 30s staying in hotels with someone they're dating (or still jumping around hostels). It's not some tragedy that a person's youth is gone as each stage in life has its pros and cons, but I am very happy with the money and time I spent in my early and mid 20s.

Pretty sure you can travel however you want, with whomever you want, at whatever age. Experiences like what you are talking about are not restricted to people in their 20s.

Blinkman987 posted:

I don't know anybody who has needed to do that, but I wish whomever in your life was forced into such a predicament well.

The experiences a person has in their 20s when they're at their peak in physique, looks, topical interests, and lack of being held responsible is definitely going to be different than the 30s when more is expected of a person. That appeals to a lot of people. If you like luxury or w/e that is, I guess that's cool.

I'm in better shape now in my mid 30s than I was in my mid 20s. I don't know what a 'topical interest' really is but I'm sure people at any age can cultivate whatever that is.

--
The long and the short of it is that people that make poor financial decisions in their 20s will probably continue to do so into their 30s and beyond. The habits you cultivate at a young age become no easier to change as you get older. Just look at the many threads in BFC where people have been unable to break their bad spending habits.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The first reply in that article from the poster Campbell is so hilariously spot on.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Grandma is bankrupt.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Phones are BWM, just sign up for google voice and use the library computer to check voicemails/text. It was all of about 20 years ago when nobody had cell phones and frankly the world was better without it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

cowofwar posted:

Dude needs to spend less time gaming and more time talking.

I don't really understand couples where one person does all the planning. It's a giant expensive party for a couple, not a person.

$100 a month of budgeted money for a couple with a combined 6 figure income can't afford $100 on the thing the dude really enjoys?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Not attempting to re-open the KG thread by any means, I think it's good that it's closed for a bit. All that said, the last few posts :monocle:.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

If it floats, fucks, or flies rent it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Omne posted:

We are doing something similar. We have been living together for several years and have zero desire to go on a registry and select a bunch of stuff we will likely never use (it's a cliche at this point for married couples to talk about how they have never used a large portion of their wedding gifts). No one has to provide a gift to me and my fiancee, but if they do, I would appreciate it if it was something useful like honeymoon money or something sentimental.

It's pretty crass to mention where you are registered on invitations. The expectation is that you would tell parents/people in the wedding, and people will ask, or just figure it out on their own. If you decide you don't want to register for anything, and setup a honeymoon fun, let your parents/friends circulate that information. That being said, I think lots of people may choose not to participate when they would buy you a gift. Lots of reasons for this, but lots of people just don't want to gently caress with some kickstarter type website. A lot of people like the idea of getting you something 'nice' like a piece of kitchen equipment that will last you a lifetime - like nice pans or a kitchenaid mixer. It also eliminates any folks that might prefer to make you something nice, or buy something that is really cool that is not on the list.

I would encourage you to only register stuff that you actually want, and if you want to do the honeymoon fund, feel free to do it. Discouraging people to bring gifts imho is pretty rude.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Sounds like someone might need a new thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3270178&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=700#post452880340

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Perfectly played craps is pretty similar odds wise to blackjack isn't it? I'm sure this isn't happening, but I guess you could play quite a bit and not lose too much money over time. I have never seen anyone play craps in such a way that they are getting the best odds. I can get the idea of getting hung up on gambling that are games of skill like poker, but games where the odds are against you just doesn't make sense to me.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

slap me silly posted:

Hahaha, a mere ten grand in repairs and he's already freaking out.

Calling roofing companies and asking them if you need a new roof isn't exactly the best way to get an unbiased opinion. The lack of grounded outlets is not great, but I'm guessing since the house hasn't burned down yet he'd probably be fine kicking the can down the road.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Except if he knows about it, his insurance may not cover in the case of fire, which also probably puts him offside with the terms of his mortgage. We found some...non-obvious knob & tube when we bought our last place, and had to scramble to get it fixed and re-insured in 60 days.

I doubt that is the case at all. A roof passing inspection is part of a lot of home loans. The inspector said it has 10 years, and it doesn't sound like a specific inspection of the roof was called for - which is what usually happens on roofs that are near the end of their life. It looks like some of the replies in the thread are saying hire an independent inspector which is the right course of action. Knob and tube is a different deal, and yes that can definitely be hard to insure. All of this being said, going out to people that are looking to sell you things like roofs and electrical work are not the best people to get unbiased opinions on whether or not the work is critical.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I am so GWM we didn't even serve meals/booze at our wedding, instead I purchased CDs for every guest as a sign of my good financial sense.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I think we should just start posting pics of our cocks and screenshots of our bank balances.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Seems like a reasonable thing, and the price isn't crazy either. :shrug:

:eyepop:

Underwritten by the large animal vets everywhere in the world. Some lovely heart rate monitor + pedometer will shoot off bad data to people who think their horse is on death's door. They call the vet to check the horse out for some insane fee. Nevermind that wearing some stupid horse bra will probably irritate their skin leading to more vet appointments.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The best part about the last few pages of this thread is someone assuming you'll get 8% ROI in the market.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Car derail is about 3rd place in the ranking of my favorite derails.
THAT BEING SAID...

Being bad with money regarding cars is one of the easiest ways to be bad with money. It's fine if you don't own any tools and never do any work on your own car, but it pays to have a basic understanding of how cars work and at least try to take care of the one you own. I'm still amazed at how many people don't understand basic poo poo like the fact that their car has a maintenance schedule. They just get an oil change every once in a while, then wonder why they have some massive repair bill when something significant on their car breaks. Then when something goes wrong they just wander in to whatever dealer or shop they find first and open their wallets up without asking questions...

Making smart $$ choices with cars is a great way to be GWM.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

MMM Also appears to be skipping leg day...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Got my money back and maxed out my 2017 Roth IRA contribution with it.

Now I'm researching claiming my dad as a dependent for the new tax year.

Reading your post history... Tell me more about the Y2K gold stash. How much gold was it?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Jesus christ the humblebragging ITT in the last few pages is unreal.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

KingSlime posted:

People exaggerating their income is a good thing to remember for sure. I myself overestimate by 5k when asked partially because it's freelance and changes per year and partially because I subconsiously want to be as close to the "success spectrum" as possible. I am a few k short of my main income goal I set for myself during college, at least at this age. And I'm pretty happy about that, my monthly expenses have stayed the same so I feel like a child with too much money during payday, at least for a glorious night or two during the week.

Who asks someone how much they make?

The fact that people ITT claim they know what other people make is really weird. Who does this poo poo?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Co-workers or people in your field is one thing. Random other people that do something totally different is a very different. It's not like there aren't other ways to determine what you should ask for from your employer.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

Probably blowjobs under the Forestry bleachers. Those boys who lettered in Forestry got all the ladies.

The irony is it's probably as difficult to get Forestry or Warden jobs as it is to get into college sports. Both of my nephews want to go that route and their mom is still delusional that they'll get a nearby spot in New England instead of somewhere in bumfuck Wyoming.

Wait, so you're telling me that forestry jobs are located in forests? Not densely populated north eastern states with little to no public land.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

As a high net worth individual I am concerned that my credit card information from 2003 has been compromised.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I know lots of people that make way more than 100k, they are not rich.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Gorman Thomas posted:

Goddamn America. At the risk of a humble brag, it's really hosed up that I've only been in the work force for 40 months and I have more retirement savings than the median retirement age American. Like, how are we going to deal with this as a nation?

Your post sucks nobody gives a gently caress.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Can saying '100k is not that much' be bannable ITT? There really is no better way to signal how out of touch you are when you start complaining about the trials and tribulations of people 'only' making 100k.

I had no idea that there was a 100k exemption, but that seems like a pretty drat nice benefit for people that probably don't need it. If you don't understand why paying taxes when you are abroad, perhaps you should work on your critical thinking skills. You don't think ex-pats benefit from America's massive military and diplomatic power when you are working and living abroad?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

Oh sure, I agree. Co-worker gifts can be GWM. My sweet contract job is ending and I'm totally spending $30 bringing the office coffee and doughnuts to make sure I leave a good taste in everyone's mouth.

That said, people who are BWM rarely bankrupt themselves on big purchases. It's death by a thousand cuts and it sounds like that guy cuts himself a lot.

But $100k isn't that much for overseas work. No one leaves their home and families for months at a time to make $40k a year (military heroes excluded). And a decent number of those $100k+/year jobs since 9/11 involved some degree of personal risk. Since those are contract jobs you also get a premium since it's not steady work and peace could break out at any time. And even if it's not war related, for someone to fly your rear end overseas you need some pretty valuable skills that apparently locals don't have. Hence a premium.

A friend of mine worked as a military IT contractor and I think the deal was he couldn't be stateside more than X number of days during the year to get that $100k exemption. Which is a lot harder than you think when your job is in the desert and you miss your family. Spending extra time with his wife ended up being worth paying the extra tax.

Hundreds of thousands of people work overseas for far less than 40k / year, the vast majority of them aren't Americans (see slave labor in the middle east). The test is 330 days abroad according to the IRS, so yeah I dunno that seems pretty fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

King George posted:

Not trying to defend greazeball, but even with the FEIE and FTCs, the fact that the US makes a claim to your income (however large/small it is) earned by a citizen living outside of US borders, paying taxes to a foreign state, and working for a non-US company based solely on your passport and not your residence is bullshit. It'd be like requiring someone living in Texas but born in Virginia to have to file a VA return.

No it's really not like the example you are giving because states are not separate countries.

Our government has decided that if you want to be a citizen you have to pay taxes - doesn't matter where you live. They've decided to give a very generous exemption to people working abroad which seems pretty nice to me. I'm not really seeing how this is bullshit. Crappy analogies and 'OTHER COUNTRIES DON'T' doesn't seem like a particularly compelling argument.

• Locked thread