Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

ntd posted:

I'm amazed at how many people don't understand the tax brackets...I have heard many intelligent people be relieved that their raise didn't push them into a higher bracket, thinking they clear more at the lower salary :psyduck:..

Well, there's always the AMT...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I had a coworker like this. I don't think she had a bank account and would cash her checks by taking them to WalMart and getting them put on a prepaid Visa card (I can only imagine the bullshit fees involved in this). She would drive to the cell phone store to pay her bill in cash and use money orders for all her utilities. She would also do stuff like put her mother's cable TV under her name because her mother didn't have enough money for the first month. Why didn't you just loan her some drat money???

One of my tasks at that job was "guardian of the petty cash" and maybe every 6-8 weeks she would get a loan of like $30 "for gas money" (the boss had ok'ed this). Once payday rolled around, she'd promptly pay it back, but really?

She's probably coming out ahead being unbanked if the alternative is paying overdraft fees.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

cowofwar posted:

With a conservative 3% return on your capital and a 0.99% interest rate on the loan you are pocketing the 2% difference which, on a $30,000 car, would be more than the $1500 cash back.

Basically, good financial decisions involve running the numbers and selecting variables that optimize your benefit. What I'm saying is that making decisions based on credit = good or debt = bad is not being good with money.

Edit - nevermind, you guys aren't actually reading what I'm writing.

I agree with avoiding simplistic statements lionizing or demonizing credit, but risk aversion doesn't seem to factor into your rubric. 3% return may be conservative in a historical perspective, but 5-year returns almost across the board were negative (some in double digits) just a few years back. For many folks, guaranteed 0.99% return is worthwhile.

E: My former neighbors would loudly complain about their money issues and how they had to liquidate their 401k, all while amassing hoarder-levels of junk and multiple cars. The wife lost her job and was too good for entry-level work, so she spent all day calling into radio shows and trying to win stuff (that they had to pay taxes on).

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 27, 2013

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

I am OK posted:

Drugs have mark-ups of like 50,000%.

Over the cost of manufacture, or including R&D expenses?

It takes upwards of 5 years to go from the lab through the clinic and get approved for public consumption, and even then maybe 1 in 10 drugs (that all looked promising) actually make it through. So there's a considerable front-end you're paying for. There may be some price-gouging on top of it, but the costs are heavily front-loaded, few drugs are blockbusters, and comparing to generics is pretty unfair.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Wickerman posted:

Actually, I think the divorce process would grant the husband half of those assets because he can show that he has paid into them. However, he'd probably get blasted by alimony if she can get it. At least they don't have a kid yet.

I thought you had to be married for a reasonably substantial amount of time for alimony - it's only been a year.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I'm betting the marshmallow test administered at age 5 would be a better predictor of credit card debt at age 40 than any amount of financial literacy education.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Not a Children posted:

Ugh. I bought a new Camry fresh out of college (2012), and after reading all this I'm feeling like a financial idiot. I figure I'll drive it into the ground and just get a beater when it dies in a decade or so...

My 99 Camry is still going strong and I expect I could get another 5-10 years out of it, so if you plan on running it into the ground you may be waiting until 2030.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Jastiger posted:

WHAT DO I DO?

Spend $20 on games, keep $10 in your wallet and save the rest for a date night with your wife.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Anne Whateley posted:

You're still blowing $80 for a few hours. That's still the hosed-up mindset.

Investing in the relationship with his wife is cheaper than divorce, and he's actually budgeting for it in advance.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Renegret posted:

My first car was a '97 Geo Prism that was used as a grocery wagon for some old lady once a week. Had <50k miles on it. Paid $2k

I loving loved that car to death and I was so heartbroken when I wrecked it. I still haven't forgiven myself.

...I don't know how that's relevant to the thread, I just wanted to say how much I loved that car.

My wife still drives her '97 Prism that she got new as a teenager. 200k+ miles and still going strong. We've been discussing replacement options since it hit 150k, but decided to ride it out until something expensive breaks.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Nocheez posted:

If you like your Prizm, look into a Matrix/Vibe. Same basic design, but better laid out and lots of interior space!

The letters all fell off like 6 years ago.

Current plan is to replace with a Forester - the Prizm has caused a number of road hikes to trailheads because of limited clearance.

E: In the bad-with-money front, I'm shelling out for an MRI on my dog to pinpoint his gait disturbance.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 11, 2014

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Ebola Roulette posted:

"Verbal agreement"
"Copay"
"Buy another house so you can get that First Time Home Buyer Credit"

This guy seems oblivious to the fact that something fishy is going on here and he's worried about tax incentives?

On the flip side, if he didn't pay anything into the down payment and he's living in the house for less than comparable rent, why should he care?

He has the capability to walk away from the house without an obligation to it, and he doesn't have to pony up for poo poo when it breaks. Sounds like a de-facto rental agreement to me, and charging renters only a fraction of the mortgage is usually a sweetheart deal for the renter.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Jastiger posted:

What I don't get is the ~Luxury Pickup~. I saw a Lincoln Pick up the other weekend. I mean, sure it looked nice, but why would you get a pick up truck that you wouldn't' ever want to get dirty or scuff up? Isn't that paying tons of money for a super nice interior that is just really small?

Towing - boat or horse trailer. Not all pick-ups are work trucks.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Paying for work travel with your own money seems "bad with money" to me :smug:

Work travel on rewards card. Free money if you get reimbursed before the statement due date, pretty high ROI (1-3%, depending on card) if you have to float the cost for a little while. Just don't do it if there's any doubt about your company's ability to reimburse.

Bad with money: putting work travel on a card that you carry a balance on.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 29, 2014

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

HonorableTB posted:

Normally they are very good about not meddling in our finances, and I think this is a case of "We did you a favor by loaning the money, you should do our daughter a favor and cut her some financial slack" especially since by loaning us/me the money, they put themselves behind on their own goals for remodeling a house and some other things they had been trying to do. I really don't have a problem with paying more than my half of the expenses, because I do understand that when my girlfriend gets a job, I will be making almost 2.5x what she makes, and that it would be unfair to expect her to go broke every payday to pay her half. I feel she should have the opportunity to save money in a savings account herself, or whatever the case may be. I don't tell her how to manage her money and she doesn't either tell me how to manage mine either, but I will be firm on one thing: if I'm footing the bill for everything by myself, I and I alone will decide how money should be spent when it comes to spending on things that are non-essential. What's that dear? You want to go get $200 in art supplies? Sorry, not in the budget. Try again next month :getin:

There's enough weird control issues all around with this situation that it'd make more sense for her to live with her parents and you to get your own place until she has a job and can be slightly financially independent.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Cockmaster posted:

That reminds me of a Mr. Money Mustache article:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/09/06/how-much-is-that-bitch-costin-ya/

Is it just me, or is that a recipe for major resentment? Even if both partners share the same basic financial goals, there are going to be differences of opinion with respect to what counts as a worthwhile expense.

Especially if you're talking about any sort of hobby which only one person is into - I could imagine a situation not unlike an engineer requesting funding from some butthole in a suit with the technological literacy of the average Alzheimer's patient. And I've yet to hear any engineer say anything nice about that part of the job.

Really depends on your relationship. My wife and I do something kind of like this (but with a dollar value of >$100). No is usually more a 'can we wait on that for a couple of months to fit it in the budget' type of situation or reminding each other of stuff we already have.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Trilineatus posted:

I did not win the eyebrow genetics lottery :shobon: Probably a bad example.

I agree that knowing what works for you and your budget to maximize the impact of consumption is ideal. I use CVS brand facewash I get for free with coupons and have used the same bottles of perfume for several years. But I'm also off the opinion that if you want $100 wrinkle cream, that's fine and you can have it as long as it's a small part of your budget and accounted for, and I think it would be wrong for a significant other to tell you "no" if it is coming out of discretionary funds and you are going without something else because that indulgence matters to you.

It's basically a style difference between folks who have separate discretionary funds and those who don't. We don't - it's a holdover from the days when we were on a shoestring budget living off of a single graduate student stipend and every discretionary purchase was a tradeoff that affected both of us.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

silvergoose posted:

The insane cost is because it's an Ivy, yeah. Brown University, it's like Harvard but people outside the US haven't heard of it! It's named after a guy named Brown, obviously. He was an abolitionist!

And it's the butt of jokes for being a second-tier ivy missing a standout niche - kind of like Dartmouth.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Easychair Bootson posted:

Of course there are differences in markets and individual circumstances. I'm not saying that renting cannot make sense
financially. This discussion stemmed from a comment that renters don't have to pay certain costs like insurance, taxes, and opportunity cost, but it seems obvious that they (in general, not necessarily individually) do.

On a more subjective note, I feel like a lot of the advantage to buying is that you can choose to do so when the market is at a certain point (hopefully low) and then you're pretty much locked in. As a renter, you're more at the whim of market fluctuations. When you're young and mobile it's easy to roll with the punches. When you've got a couple of kids and those fluctuations price you out of their school district, that's a different story. Just another variable among many.

I'll shut up about my perceived nuances of the rent vs. buy debate and go back to shaking my head at reddit dummies.

I think of renting as akin to buying group health insurance rather than self-insuring. As a group, you will end up bearing out the average costs, and the landlords will tend to profit. However, you don't risk going bankrupt in a shithole, and depending on location you have more rights as a tenant to livable conditions, which homeowners have no guarantee of.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

HonorableTB posted:

My neighborhood (Capitol Hill) is just full of late 20s-early 30s Indian engineers working at Amazon :v:

How far the gayborhood has come.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Unless you want to enter a career where degree prestige potentially matters a lot to your long-term career prospects, like law, finance, consulting, academics, etc.

Yeah, but the bachelor's doesn't matter as much for careers that need a graduate degree. Save your money for the prestige degree that matters.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Tigntink posted:

There's a bunch of winerys so that's nice. It's too long of a commute to downtown imo. 522 is a nice bus though. If you can telecommute it's doable. The houses are nearly as expensive as Seattle though so I don't see a big benefit unless you want a mcmansion.

I technically have a Woodinville address but am in Snohomish County - cheaper taxes and the neighborhood is mostly ramblers on plats of 0.75 acres and up. Kind of the anti-Mcmansion neighborhood, rural-lite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Mocking Bird posted:

This amuses me. That's a sharp SO and their partner should be ashamed for trying to use a non-married partner to build equal equity in something only they own.

In most areas, half the mortgage is under market rent. But this person sounds like they'd try and make the non-owner pay for half of any maintenance/repairs that come up, which kinda defeats the point of renting.

• Locked thread