Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
We just have a departmental "everyone brings in baked good day".

Then a team building exercise where we bitch against all the departments that didn't bring anything yet mooched off of us.

We're known as the grumpy department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FrozenVent posted:

We just have a departmental "everyone brings in baked good day".

Then a team building exercise where we bitch against all the departments that didn't bring anything yet mooched off of us.

We're known as the grumpy department.

Would one of the departments that mooch be called engineers? We do that poo poo all the time. Free food!

Folly
May 26, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Do they have a sense of humor?

Gift exchanges in an office environment sound awful to me, glad I've never had that one.

Give him the exact model of iPod from that office episode (old model, not in color - should be cheap) wrapped in a printed photo of Michael Scott.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

silvergoose posted:

Would one of the departments that mooch be called engineers? We do that poo poo all the time. Free food!

We've got like three departments that have engineers, at least.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FrozenVent posted:

We've got like three departments that have engineers, at least.

Well I'm just saying we are like locusts with free food.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Actually she's not especially popular so its kind of tough. A lot of people have complained and tried to get on other teams because of her leadership "style". Me and her don't exactly see eye to eye either, so any humor gift would likely come off flat.

She has a NY Jets thingie on her desk, maybe I'll get her something Jetsy.

Or a broken water softener.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

silvergoose posted:

Well I'm just saying we are like locusts with free food.

Yeah, why are we like that? I'm always embarrassed that the admin staff is so much more generous but it's such a compulsion.

Bad with money/general office gripe: my office likes to have potlucks every month which is way too often; quarterly would be just fine tho'. I don't cook so it costs my like $20 to get something big enough and takes like an hour where I'd otherwise spend 30 min at my desk eating a $5 sandwich. But if I don't participate I look like a anti-social weirdo and I can probably kiss any chance of a promotion goodbye. And I keep forgetting to bring something but then everyone guilts me into attending anyway so I look like like a stingy anti-social weirdo.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
At my office, we have a lottery pool. It is simultaneously a bad with money and a good with money decision because it is just giving away cash but at the same time, if the pool happens to win, I don't want to be the one sad bastard that has to show up at the office.

Learn and you won't be so bad with money. You don't even need the oven, just get a slow cooker. It is actually less work to use a slow cooker than it is to make Hamburger Helper.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Tora! Tora! Tora! posted:

Yeah, why are we like that? I'm always embarrassed that the admin staff is so much more generous but it's such a compulsion.

Bad with money/general office gripe: my office likes to have potlucks every month which is way too often; quarterly would be just fine tho'. I don't cook so it costs my like $20 to get something big enough and takes like an hour where I'd otherwise spend 30 min at my desk eating a $5 sandwich. But if I don't participate I look like a anti-social weirdo and I can probably kiss any chance of a promotion goodbye. And I keep forgetting to bring something but then everyone guilts me into attending anyway so I look like like a stingy anti-social weirdo.

At the office when other teams have potlucks I swoop in after like a goddamned vulture and eat as much as I possibly can. I am the good with money king.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tora! Tora! Tora! posted:

This bugs me too. I'm similar to you in that regard. I'm "too negative" because I"m not excited about Ugly Sweater day or this Secret Santa thing.

Forced social interactions are hard.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Jastiger posted:

This bugs me too. I'm similar to you in that regard. I'm "too negative" because I"m not excited about Ugly Sweater day or this Secret Santa thing.

Forced social interactions are hard.

This right here. Not allowed to make my own friends, I'm supposed to do lunch on my time with certain people.

My department is badly managed. :(

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Jastiger posted:

At first I thought it was benign but after reading the last page I'm sweating it.

We had "White Elephant" at work and we were somehow assigned someone else to buy a gift for.

I got our supervisor.

WHAT DO I DO?!

Can't go wrong with history books for gifts: http://amzn.to/1Boiaji

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

BigDave posted:

Hahaha, that sounds fantastic, just requested it at my local library.

I had an rear end in a top hat supervisor at my last job who made me and my co-worker's lives miserable, was really tempted to give him a copy of "The Prince" as a parting gift.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Haifisch posted:

Considering that there are people who shop there specifically because of how Costco treats their employees, it's just advertising costs of a sort. :v:

Have you ever seen an ad for Costco? That's exactly what it is.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 6, 2014

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BigDave posted:

That is exactly the kind of thing I would want to do. That is awesome.

Probably bad with money though because it'd stop me from leaving the dept and maybe cost the job.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I once worked in a call centre of about 200 people excluding management. One of the staff members who had worked there quite a while had about $6000 of jewellery stolen from her locker at the gym. Unlucky, but why the heck would you leave that in a flimsy gym locker or not have it insured? Anyway another staff member thought that this was an appropriate excuse to send a collection around to help replace her co-worker's stolen bling. Myself and many of my colleagues thought this was ridiculous and refused to contribute, and after the donation envelope had circled the entire centre there was only about $40 in it.

So one of the managers (who almost everyone hated, but was friendly with the woman whose jewellery was stolen) went around again with the collection envelope and tried to bully people into chucking in. I think they got up to $100, I guess her brow beating worked on some people.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I had an rear end in a top hat supervisor at my last job who made me and my co-worker's lives miserable, was really tempted to give him a copy of "The Prince" as a parting gift.

I did this when I still had to attend an office Christmas party shortly after being told that we were reducing headcount and I was one of the lucky ones to go, and that my last day would be right before Christmas. My boss at the time was an insane raging rear end in a top hat who was vocally proud of the fact that he had managed to make 90% of his employees, past and present, cry in front of him while he screamed at them for minor mistakes, and would mention specific instances when this had happened at team meetings in front of said employees. He also paid well below industry rates and his reward for a month of working crunch-time 64-hour weeks was sample pack perfumes/colognes for his staff. No cash bonus or any overtime of course.

He was not a well man, I think. Hypersensitive. He once chewed me out for 'unprofessional demeanour' for about half an hour because I inadvertently cracked a knuckle. And yet he once decided that when doing some consulting work for a mining company that the best way to break the ice, endear himself to the workers, and prove that he wasn't a sliver-spooner was to tell the joke "What's black and white and looks good on an Aboriginal? A Doberman." He told this to us, after the fact, with a tinge of pride in his voice. (And then told us about how one of the people in the room was actually married to an Aboriginal women but that he managed to still endear himself to the fellow through the sheer force of his magnetic personality. Naturally.)

So I cosied up to one of the admin staff and got her to draw his name out of the hat when determining who my Secret Santa that year was. The gratifying thing wasn't the look on his face when he immediately opened it, but rather the look on his face when several other directors of the company who happened to walk by our table at the Christmas dinner noticed it an independently of each other said some variation of "wow, somebody knows you well." :v:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Have you two even read it?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That joke is appalling, Dobermans aren't black and white.

And How to Win Friends and Influence People would be a better choice.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

VideoTapir posted:

Have you two even read it?

I'm aware that academic analysis of Machiavelli’s authorial intent with regards to The Prince offers interpretations different to the general public consensus view of it being a how-to manual for utter bastardry, however the consensus view and pejorative perception of anything deemed 'Machiavellian' is enough to make the joke work.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
"How to Win Friends and Influence People" (which I have not read) would be a pretty good title for "The Prince."

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Scenty posted:

This is pretty hosed up. Once you mutually agree to what percentages you will each pay, why should you get to dictate how she spends her money? It will end in disaster, just break up now.

That reminds me of a Mr. Money Mustache article:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/09/06/how-much-is-that-bitch-costin-ya/

quote:

How do you determine if something’s worthwhile or wasteful? You ask your partner! Check out my highly controversial yet effective way for domestic spending harmony. It is so controversial, even Mrs. Money Mustache had to add a few qualifications before accepting it.

For any non-grocery purchase above 10 bucks, check with your spouse first.

But wait, you say, that’s an easy example, because we both agreed. But what if your spouse disagrees?

The answer to that is actually even easier. If you want to buy something, and your spouse decides to override your purchase, you accept the decision with great humility, respect, and gratitude. This person has just saved you a pile of money and brought your financial independence even closer! And it was obviously something you didn’t need, because they would have seen your need objectively if it was real. This is the person you love*. Respect their opinions.

Is it just me, or is that a recipe for major resentment? Even if both partners share the same basic financial goals, there are going to be differences of opinion with respect to what counts as a worthwhile expense.

Especially if you're talking about any sort of hobby which only one person is into - I could imagine a situation not unlike an engineer requesting funding from some butthole in a suit with the technological literacy of the average Alzheimer's patient. And I've yet to hear any engineer say anything nice about that part of the job.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Cockmaster posted:

That reminds me of a Mr. Money Mustache article:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/09/06/how-much-is-that-bitch-costin-ya/

Is it just me, or is that a recipe for major resentment? Even if both partners share the same basic financial goals, there are going to be differences of opinion with respect to what counts as a worthwhile expense.

Especially if you're talking about any sort of hobby which only one person is into - I could imagine a situation not unlike an engineer requesting funding from some butthole in a suit with the technological literacy of the average Alzheimer's patient. And I've yet to hear any engineer say anything nice about that part of the job.

Really depends on your relationship. My wife and I do something kind of like this (but with a dollar value of >$100). No is usually more a 'can we wait on that for a couple of months to fit it in the budget' type of situation or reminding each other of stuff we already have.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I'm pretty sure this is why I'm single, and don't share finances when I'm in a relationship :raise: Having someone else have an opinion is fine, having someone else "veto" something would cause me to probably smother them in their sleep. Also, I've found that men don't really have a grasp on what is "worthwhile" for me to spend money on in regards to personal hygiene/maintenance.

Then again, I've never managed to date someone who is on board with my financial policies and they tend to be the spend thrifts.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Trilineatus posted:

Also, I've found that men don't really have a grasp on what is "worthwhile" for me to spend money on in regards to personal hygiene/maintenance.

Be honest, you're buying $20 face cleanser with $25 moisturizer, $20 exfoliating agents, and $50 rejuvenating cream and convincing yourself these are good and necessary because you might conceivably get a blemish or two without them, or otherwise that they just make you feel good. Maybe that's not exactly it, and it's more like $20 mascara or $100 perfume, but any way you slice "personal hygiene/maintenance" as a significant cost that would get a significant other involved, you should realize that you've been sold a pack of lies courtesy of the marketing and advertising agencies of a multi-billion dollar industry.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I'm speaking more of a gym membership, $10 eyebrow shaping, having a professional wardrobe, and not using the same bottle to wash my feet as my hair. I coupon and bargain shop, but when a man who spends $50 a month on protein powder sneers at my having to shell out for new slacks to wear to court, I get... somewhat irritable.

I am not a fan of spending tons of money on personal maintenance, but one of the joys of being female is the unfair professional standards. I probably spend less than $100 a month on makeup/hygiene/gym/clothes, but I've definitely had boyfriends who would rather that money got spent on things like bars and shows. Too bad none of those help my career, and I resent their input.

Edit: This is basically me saying that for my relationships, discretionary spending money NEEDS to be discretionary, and the conversation should be "how much can we afford for each of us to spend or save as we please?" rather than "Jesus christ you got your hair cut AGAIN? You did that like, four months ago!"

Mocking Bird fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 7, 2014

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Engineer Lenk posted:

Really depends on your relationship. My wife and I do something kind of like this (but with a dollar value of >$100). No is usually more a 'can we wait on that for a couple of months to fit it in the budget' type of situation or reminding each other of stuff we already have.
This. If you can agree on the budget and you both have similar goals, you're really just being a good partner by keeping each other honest and by suggesting that maybe dropping $400 on shoes isn't the best use of a $600 annual clothing budget. If you can't agree on the budget that's a different problem altogether.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Trilineatus posted:

I'm speaking more of a gym membership, $10 eyebrow shaping, having a professional wardrobe, and not using the same bottle to wash my feet as my hair. I coupon and bargain shop, but when a man who spends $50 a month on protein powder sneers at my having to shell out for new slacks to wear to court, I get... somewhat irritable.

I am not a fan of spending tons of money on personal maintenance, but one of the joys of being female is the unfair professional standards. I probably spend less than $100 a month on makeup/hygiene/gym/clothes, but I've definitely had boyfriends who would rather that money got spent on things like bars and shows. Too bad none of those help my career, and I resent their input.

Edit: This is basically me saying that for my relationships, discretionary spending money NEEDS to be discretionary, and the conversation should be "how much can we afford for each of us to spend or save as we please?" rather than "Jesus christ you got your hair cut AGAIN? You did that like, four months ago!"

Yeah, that's fair, sorry to project my annoyances on cosmetic spending on you.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
To expand on what Trilineatus said: There's a wide range of stuff outside the stupid "$100 for a 2 ounce bottle of poo poo that does nothing" products you're talking about(and that annoy me just as much as you). Some of it is more useful than others, but a surprising amount of it does have a use for certain people. Exfoliating agents can help if you have acne problems, for instance - but they don't need to cost $20! Even makeup can be important if you're in some place where impressions of you can impact your career, like a job interview. (Or in Trilineatus' case, apparently their entire job) As for perfumes and such, you don't "need" to smell extra-nice, but I can hardly hold that against someone as long as they're not spending ridiculous amounts on it.

I don't bother with 90% of the stuff I'm "supposed" to be doing as a woman(eyebrow shaping?!), but I still understand this stuff can be important or useful in certain situations. Wrinkle cream and the like is still bullshit,

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Haifisch posted:

I don't bother with 90% of the stuff I'm "supposed" to be doing as a woman(eyebrow shaping?!), but I still understand this stuff can be important or useful in certain situations. Wrinkle cream and the like is still bullshit,

I did not win the eyebrow genetics lottery :shobon: Probably a bad example.

I agree that knowing what works for you and your budget to maximize the impact of consumption is ideal. I use CVS brand facewash I get for free with coupons and have used the same bottles of perfume for several years. But I'm also off the opinion that if you want $100 wrinkle cream, that's fine and you can have it as long as it's a small part of your budget and accounted for, and I think it would be wrong for a significant other to tell you "no" if it is coming out of discretionary funds and you are going without something else because that indulgence matters to you.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Trilineatus posted:

I did not win the eyebrow genetics lottery :shobon: Probably a bad example.

I agree that knowing what works for you and your budget to maximize the impact of consumption is ideal. I use CVS brand facewash I get for free with coupons and have used the same bottles of perfume for several years. But I'm also off the opinion that if you want $100 wrinkle cream, that's fine and you can have it as long as it's a small part of your budget and accounted for, and I think it would be wrong for a significant other to tell you "no" if it is coming out of discretionary funds and you are going without something else because that indulgence matters to you.

It's basically a style difference between folks who have separate discretionary funds and those who don't. We don't - it's a holdover from the days when we were on a shoestring budget living off of a single graduate student stipend and every discretionary purchase was a tradeoff that affected both of us.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Trilineatus posted:

not using the same bottle to wash my feet as my hair.

I remember reading that shampoo and body soap were basically the same thing, and when my shampoo ran out a month or so ago and I started just using the body soap for everything, and can notice zero difference in my hair. I am but a simple dude though.

quote:

$50 a month on protein powder

$50 of protein powder (5lbs) lasts me almost 3 months :colbert: I use it as a breakfast replacement so it's actually pretty Good With Money on a cost-per-meal basis.

This said, society exerts an invisible "woman tax" that a lot of guys don't seem to be aware of. I pulled this exact thing off at my last job (easier for me because I had multiple work sites) during the winter when I had to wear a suit, saved me hundreds on wardrobe.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 7, 2014

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Earlier this month I got an offer in the mail for the VISA Black card in all of it's carbon fiber glory. I know this thread has bitched about them before, so I immediately thought of those discussions and prepared myself for amusement.

I saw the $500 annual fee, laughed, and shredded the whole thing out of principle.

Gift exchanges in an office environment sound awful to me, glad I've never had that one.

The first Secret Santa I did here, the person who had me was working in the department for about a week and worked the opposite shift as me, so he probably didn't even know what I looked like. I saw his face for about a grand total of an hour.

I can't really fault him for giving me $30 in Starbucks gift cards even though I hate Starbucks, it's a good generic gift for someone you don't really know.

Second year I got a bunch of t-shirts that I never wore, and have no intention of ever wearing.

This year I'm not doing it. Come on guys, just give me alcohol, it's not hard :(

Also, from like a week ago:

the littlest prince posted:

I just found out one of the higher-ups at my workplace is affiliated with Primerica.

Primerica can be good with money! If you're a completely insane sociopath who excels at manipulating other people with a complete disregard for other people's lives and well being. Personally, I'd rather live on the streets and starve to death than work there. I occasionally get mass texts from an old boss of mine trying to recruit people "looking for a change in career". He's tried spear fishing me a few times, and my typical response is to just tell him how much I love my job immediately after he asks me how things are going.

I actually had an "interview" with them scheduled before I knew who they were. Then I looked into them a bit more and decided they weren't even worth the effort to call and cancel the interview. I'm not sure if they even noticed that I never showed up.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 7, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

The only thing more awkward than a gift exchange in an office environment, is one where a department full of people we've never met joins in. And that's exactly what happened to me a few years back. We had a 'white elephant' style gift exchange where you can steal a gift once. The thing is that myself and my 7 co-workers are really comfortable with each other, and got a bunch of silly gag gifts because we thought it'd be just among us. Then our Manager decided to rope in some neighbouring department (full of complete strangers) into our gift exchange at the very last minute.

It was an unexpected, forced "networking" opportunity that quickly became awkward.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I remember reading that shampoo and body soap were basically the same thing, and when my shampoo ran out a month or so ago and I started just using the body soap for everything, and can notice zero difference in my hair. I am but a simple dude though.

If you're a guy with short hair, and have been lucky enough to have non-oily and non-dry hair, you can totally get away with using soap. When i have short hair, i get away with using soap.

However since my hair is currently halfway down my back, i don't have that luxury, since i have to use moisturizing shampoo+conditioner otherwise my hair dries out and tangles super easy (I mean just the friction from my head against the headrest in the car can cause major snarls). Part of the problem is i use cheap shampoo and conditioner, and if i decided to upgrade i would definitely use less, but not so much less it justifies the $15 salon bottle over the $1.00 bottle of Suave.

However, it does wind up with me needing a haircut every 3 months for split ends. But I also cheap out on the haircut and go to the beauty school where I can get a nice haircut for $8, or a cut+color for $25.

We had the best concept when we did a secret santa at my old office. $25 max, on the card with your name, you had to put down 3 things you wanted. This way even if you drew someone you didn't know you'd have a list of 3 cheap things to pick from that wouldn't dissapoint them.

Of course we kept it to within the sales department so we all knew each other so it generally was "cheapest of the three things you could find+a gag gift" to keep it under the $25. I got a nice hat, person I drew got two movies they'd wanted for a while, etc.And then the department manager got us all an Axe shampoo+bodywash gift set. (I'm actually sad they stopped making the scent i got...it wasn't the axe for women, but it was a really good scent that was somewhat gender neutral and didn't smell manly on me at all. The two girly girls got the Axe for women, but the department manager actually went through and picked scents for us that worked well for us, which i thought was a thoughtful way to personalize a somewhat impersonal gift)

Bad with money: my company that's going under that I just half bailed/half was let go...the owner just got two of his cars repo'd for taking out title loans on them to try and keep the business afloat. Yes you're over six figures in debt and rather than simply dissolve the coorporation or file for bankruptcy, dude decided that it was a brilliant idea to take out personal debt instead.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 7, 2014

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Good with money: Marry a cosmetologist. I did. Free haircuts, waxing, haircare for lyfe! Bonus: Access to the Cosmo supply stores with heavily discounted brand name hair care products.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Trilineatus posted:

Protein Powder is a good purchase. It's most of the other supplements that are a waste of money. Pretty much everything that isn't Protein or Creatine. (Throw in some caffeine pills too)

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TLG James posted:

Protein Powder is a good purchase. It's most of the other supplements that are a waste of money. Pretty much everything that isn't Protein or Creatine. (Throw in some caffeine pills too)

You can screw up protein powder too by buying some stuff that's $25/lb.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

baquerd posted:

What the hell kind of protein powder is that? The "good stuff" I used to use while doing 8+ hours of working out a day doing mma was like $70 for 5lbs and I thought I was being pretty luxurious there.

Overseas protein powder was pretty expensive like that though. They didn't have the expensive machinery used to make protein powder... so yea actually it was about $25/lb throughout the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

baquerd posted:

Is there a more expensive protein than this?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bluestarnutra/isosmooth.html

That's 18 bucks a pound.

• Locked thread