Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

EthanSteele posted:

Was Optibotimus the dude who went into major debt buying prototype transformers for their massively inflated prices so he could be the first to review them?

That was Sean Long, who had a 11-minute long rambling breakdown on Youtube because his viewers wouldn't help him pay the rent after he spent all his money on toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

DoctorWhat posted:

Holy poo poo that new MTMTE teaser!!!

Season 2, everything changes...

Uhhhhhhhhhh

:psyboom:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
My favorite thing about these teasers is that while they're ostensibly to draw interest for the ongoings that come after Dork Cybertron, they're also motivating me to suffer through this boring-rear end event just to see how we end up with Megatron on the Lost Light with an Autobadge (guess everyone gave up on spoilers). Thanks for nothing, James Roberts :argh:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Post-war IDW is the perfect counterpoint to the genius nihilism of the Bay movies because they're using diametrically opposing viewpoints to illustrate the same goal. In RID and MTMTE, the idea is basically "if these cartoon robots from your childhood acted and behaved like flawed, thinking humans and examined what they were doing, things would improve. Not instantly, but gradually, because in the real world endless war has solved literally zero problems." On the opposing side, the Bay films take that and invert it, saying "if folks in the real world had the same ideology and behavior patterns of cartoon robots from your childhood, things would be a loving endless nightmare, because again, in the real world, brash jingoism and uncontrolled violence has solved literally zero problems."

I like them both very much.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Good Listener posted:

I'd really like to read some of the IDW series of books but I'm not entirely sure where I should begin. I've spent a LOT of time on the TFwiki and their continuity has always seemed really fun to me. I have read the Last Stand of the Wreckers and really enjoyed it, I'm just wondering if there's a good jump in spot so to speak?

Last Stand is as good a place to start as any. Pick up The Death of Optimus Prime, which sets up the post-war universe, and then move on to Robots in Disguise and More Than Meets the Eye; RID is about picking up the pieces on the rebooted Cybertron after the Chaos Event (which was not very good), MTMTE is the thread's darling and is a fantastic adventure story about a ragtag gang trying to find the Knights of Cybertron. Also try picking up Chaos Theory from the previous ongoing, those two issues set up some good worldbuilding that foreshadows a lot of the neater concepts that have been brought up in the current ongoings.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Captain Magic posted:

That's like watching Adventure Time and wondering why no one is ever trying to solve murder mysteries.

Probably because the cast is not very good at murder mysteries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcZCYSBXNFc

In other news, UK Toy Fair has seemingly attached one of the mystery names in the TF4 lineup to an alt mode: Lockdown is the Lamborghini Aventador. I'd be excited over potentially getting a sweet transforming Lambo, but I'm still sore about not ever getting a Mirage/Dino 458 out of DOTM.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I'm pretty sure most big stores are just waiting for their first big inventory reset for 2014 before we start to see new waves of anything. At least that's what I'm hoping, I will be very cross if a Cosmos is once again responsible for killing an entire line (Universe Legends Cosmos :argh:).

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

404GoonNotFound posted:

Speaking of which, someone please convince me to not get Smart Robin, I already have too much poo poo pre-ordered as it is :cry:

Official Hasbro Brainstorm in the works, according to some leaked Hasbro web docs.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Minicon team is super neato and is probably the best combiner Hasbro has put out in years. I get the feeling Heavytread picked the short straw when it came to positioning though...

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Rei_ posted:

Yeah, exactly. Kids are intelligent (I wouldn't say 'smart', I've always imagined smart to occur at more of an intersection of intelligent/learned) but they also have poo poo to do.

On the topic of children being morons or whatever: my first glimpse at how insane modern TFs have been becoming was a few years back when I had two nephews over and they obviously wanted to play with my cool toy collection. Animated was out in full force at this time, so they naturally gravitated to the very colorful and friendly-looking robots only to be stopped in their tracks by the nonsense that is Deluxe Bumblebee's transformation. I think when your kid-appeal mascot character requires adult assistance to handle, you've crossed a boundary in toy design. Don't mistake complexity for intelligence; the number one goal of toy design should be "is this thing actually fun to play with."

(Incidentally I work as a teacher at an after-school facility and I use a couple of Bot Shots as sign holders for "turn your work in here" kind of things. The kids fukken love them.)

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
^^^^You're not alone, that piece drops off at the slightest touch. It's the only flaw I've encountered so far in an otherwise excellent set.

The Rage posted:

30th Anniversary Jetfire images leaked

Awww yiss, that's supposed to be a leader-class, right?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Son of a loving bitch, Cosmos is truly the linekiller. Guess it's ebay o'clock :negative:

edit: I suppose this means there's no hope for Tailgate either.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Rei_ posted:

This post is to confirm that yes, the Lego Movie was a direct indictment of everyone in this thread, and for that alone, it is movie of the year.

Not emptyquoting. Go watch it now if you haven't already.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Solicits for the post-Dork Cybertron comix are out, MTMTE #29 has a fun cover.

EDIT: Just noticed that Tailgate still doesn't have his autobrand, which means Megatron of all people beat him to the punch :laugh:

3 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 19, 2014

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The Rage posted:

If anyone is still worried about finding them at retail, here's BBTS pre-order for Swerve and Cosmos:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS23654&mode=retail

annnnnnnnd Shrapnel and Tailgate:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS23657&mode=retail

Aww hell yiss, preordered. (Well, more sitting on a preorder unless I see them in stores first, since the last time I tried getting something from BBTS it was out in retail for two months before they fulfilled their first shipment.)

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Xenomrph posted:

The only reason people care about Whirl is because of MTMTE, just seems kind of silly to not base his design on that.

Speak for yourself, I've always wanted a more articulated Dorvack Gazette, so Generations Whirl pushes all the right buttons for me.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Hopefully he's dead in a space-ditch, I never liked that guy and his Sephiroth attitude/fanbase.

Yeah, real brooding, that Drift.

Where have you been? Doriftu-chan hasn't been a racist embarrassment for a while, not since Roberts got his hands on him anyway.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

RaspberryCommie posted:

Yeah... about that...

No worries, that'll buff right out.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
"We need a fresh idea to really corner the increasingly saturated third-party robot, any suggestions?"

"Why not make a Metroplex that is both smaller and more expensive than the one Hasbro just put out?"

"...brilliant."

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

An Angry Bug posted:

Also, dear god the comments. What a bunch of pointlessly pissy idiots.

Gammatron 64 posted:

The transformers fandom is so reactionary that if you say you aren't interested in buying a figure, people actually get pissed off. Like it's a personal offense and you need validation from others when you buy silly children's toys. Everything must be an angry flamewar at all times.

Forget it, Jake. It's TFW.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
You know, despite all of the unfortunate implications surrounding her entire existence, I'm glad that Arcee's character arc led up to this specific moment (DC12 preview spoilers):

Arcee and Whirl, BFFs in the making :3:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Keldroc posted:

Not that I'm trying to force you to spend money on Metroplex, but he also looks pretty cool in "bending/kneeling to interact with the mere mortals" poses if your shelf is small.

He looks even better with stickers applied.
...not that i've had the time to do that either :negative:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Only Swindle and maybe Onslaught were plausibly from WWII; Brawl's too modern of a tank, and Vortex is a helicopter that isn't a spindly nazi mess. The WWII thing is explicitly a case of "toy first, plot after" in the G1 cartoon.

Also, little-known fact! The space shuttle was going to be a military vehicle; it was co-designed by the Air Force to snatch enemy satellites out of orbit and then land before the Soviets could figure out what the gently caress, but they quietly abandoned that mission profile and left STS to rot as an overengineered nightmare. It's a miracle they only lost two of the things during the shuttle's operating lifespan.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Then I want a crossover of the two (Pyramids, Himeji Castle, etc.).

http://sirtoys.com/toys.php?c=10&p=66&t=Shrine_Warrior_Pyramid.html

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Heads up, what's left of the old GDO Asian Exclusive voyagers seem to be popping up at Ross discount stores. I just picked up a Hot Spot for $12.99 after never catching a whiff of the dude when he was supposedly on shelves.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
MTMTE 28: I just noticed that Rung mentions that he got his first edition copy of Towards Peace from a fellow bibliophile who he refers to as "she" ... immediately before his musings on revisionism :v:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Keldroc posted:

When? I don't recall multiple Bumblebees shipping simultaneously, or any other characters having movie versions and CHUG versions at the same time. Hasbro has always been careful about that. Sometimes shelfwarming movie Bees sit around until new TV show characters ship later in the year or the year after, but that's not the same thing.

IIRC, Battle Blade Bumblebee and War for Cybertron Bumblebee hit shelves pretty much simultaneously, and then a year after they put out that classics repaint in Reveal the Shield just to confuse things even more.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Optimus doesn't even eat it, he just gets his strength from stealing food out of the hands of children :allears:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Waspinator :kimchi:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Anora posted:

Jetfire (with elbow, neck, shoulders, hips, knees and wings; and totally counts :colbert: )

Of course it counts, the Takatoku VF-1 was the gold standard for perfect transformation Valkyries for years, only finally having the crown snatched from it by the near-perfect Yamato 1/48 in 2003. And even then, one could make the argument that the "chunky munky" VF-1 was still a superior toy in terms of just play factor.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Got Tailgate and Skrapnel in the mail today, these guys have some deceptively complicated transformations. I thought Tailgate in particular was going to just go the "just tug on the limbs a bit until it turns into a robot" route like with Swerve, but the little guy is surprisingly fiddly.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The Taint Reaper posted:

Amidst tragedy, comedy:

Nothing broke or chipped since everything just slid down to one side.

You maimed Swerve!

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
^^^Wait, did they make Knockout an Autobot or is that just some other generic smug red hero sportscar man? Kinda hoping it's the former if this is actually a Prime sequel.

ForeverSmug posted:

They're tiny little universal joints attached to a ratcheting joint; if you aren't ridiculously careful those things are almost certain to snap right off. They are bafflingly terrible.

It's weird that you're going after the perfectly sturdy hip joints and totally ignoring the universally acknowledged flaws of the dude's index fingers popping off at the slightest breeze.

3 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 13, 2014

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
If you don't actually care about branding and only want baller* 1/18 scale toy soldiers with transforming vehicles, good news!

*expensive

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Brainstorm turns into an Arwing that his face can fly around in :neckbeard:

Slightly worried about Chromia's backpack but she looks spot-on to her Windblade appearance. Also the world needs more closed-cockpit TRON bikes.
EDIT: holy poo poo, look closely, she's a fantastically disguised retool of PRID Arcee :stare:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
AoE Crosshairs turns into a Corvette with handguns, so it seems only natural to repaint him into Tracks "Hot Shot???" What, did they lose the trademark again?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Sorry if this is too niche but can I run a dumb custom idea past you guys? I'm slowly but surely putting together a Classics Liokaiser, and I've been trying to puzzle out what mold(s) to use for Jallguar (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Jallguar). So far I'd been planning to use Universe Hound, but it's really more of a "can't think of a better option" choice. Jallguar has such a weird alt-mode I just can't figure out a better base mold. Any ideas?

The Energon Cliffjumper/Beachcomber mold seems to fit the alt mode fairly well, just tweak bot mode a bit:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Artum posted:

Please, just shut up and go away. Pacific Rim 2 just got greenlit, you can gently caress off back to discussing in circles how that was about fascism for an additional three calendar years in CinemaD.

Y'all need to seriously back away from the hobby if having SMG pop in briefly to shower you with some metatextual analysis gets you this hot and bothered about your favorite merchandising vehicle. If anything beyond just a surface-level assessment of fiction is this offensive to you, then the thread title is absolutely right and Roberts really is a better writer than we deserve.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Keldroc posted:

I agree except for the first and the last line. If you think any of this is satirical and not just inept writing and storytelling, you're completely out of your loving mind. Everything you say is the worst kind of baseless masturbation disguised as film criticism. I stopped reading CineD so I wouldn't have to read drivel like this, and it sucks that it's infected this thread now.

Gammatron 64 posted:

CineD is a cesspool that's become drat near unreadable because of this poo poo. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, guys. Just ignore SMG and maybe he'll give up and crawl back into his hole.

Oh no someone with more than the shallowest possible surface level analysis is here to discuss transformers fiction, better shoo him away so we can return to our talking 'bout toys and toy-related properties echo chamber!!!

gently caress's sake, this kind of holier-than-thou anti-intellectualism is far more toxic to a discussion forum than SMG's word walls ever will be. I'm repeating myself, but if you're this seriously against any attempt at a deeper read of your most cherished merchandising vehicle, then James Roberts really is a better writer than we deserve. Otherwise, if all you want is a place to zero-content gush about how cool the toys from your childhood are and what a mean person Michael Bay is for ruining your cherished dreams from a bygone era, TFW2005 isn't going away anytime soon.

THAT SAID:

I am really digging how good Roadbuster looks without any decals applied, he'll make a good companion "sorta-Calibur" to Whirl's "sorta-Gazzette."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
^^^get this pomo garbage out of the robot thread :argh:

Artum posted:

Piss off. There's zero anti-intellectualism going on here the entire problem is that this sort of reading is intellectually bankrupt; you can make ANYTHING secretly about class conflict and the person working on a thing secretly laughing at the audience but these arguments don't hold up to scrutiny. But it doesn't matter because the only engagement in discussion is to switch topics and move goalposts when cornered, there's no discourse to be had with that sort of behaviour. THAT is bad for discussion.

Yeah, sorry but automatically shutting down an opposing viewpoint as ~*pretentious*~ because it disagrees with your supposed default reading is the definition of anti-intellectualism. Critical analysis isn't a zero-sum game where one particular viewpoint has to be supported by exactly 100% of the text before being seen as valid, and trying to disengage by stamping your feet and yelling at the bad evil postmodernist to go away is the opposite of healthy discourse.

quote:

Also you name dropped the thread title not once but twice to try and sound superior, well done!

Yeah, I literally said I was repeating myself, so I don't see how this is relevant to the topic at hand? I can do it a third time if you want: James Roberts is a better writer than we deserve.