Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

drrockso20 posted:

anyone else here have thoughts on what they'd do if they could contribute officially to the franchise(I know I have, heck I even helped make a Transformers Mosaic comic back about a decade ago when those were still going and relevant)?

This is almost entirely the opposite of what most people want out of Transformers fiction in general, but I've always wanted to see some kind of exclusively human-centered story that focuses on the in disguise conceit as heavily as possible, where these aren't relatable heroic or villainous cartoon robots but inscrutable alien machines that have chosen for reasons incomprehensible to humankind to make the Earth their battlefield. I think a story going full throttle on making humans the perspective characters to the point where they aren't even able to communicate reliably off the bat with the robots themselves is something the franchise has to my knowledge never attempted to pull off (at least in the long term), and something following a Sector 7-esque organization which has to develop tactics on the fly to deal with a belligerent extraterrestrial race that could literally be anything at any moment could make for some neat sci-fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Keldroc posted:

I'm not saying the story idea doesn't have merit, but I find it really weird how hung up some people are on the "in disguise" thing. It was a catchy tagline that handily described the primary draw of the toy, much like "more than meets the eye." It's like complaining that people don't see the Transformers enough so not enough things are meeting the eye in the fiction.

I wouldn't say I'm hung up on it, but it is an angle that generally tends to get discarded within like the five minutes of any given Transformers fiction. Now that I'm thinking about it though, they did kind of already make it happen in the form of recent darling videogame Prey so I guess I got my wish!

EDIT:

Keldroc posted:

Energon Megatron? Is that you?

Everything about that is screaming "lovely photoshop," especially the hosed up airbrushing on the crotch and knees. And also the obvious TR Sky Shadow bits.

3 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 15, 2017

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Also she has, y'know.
A face.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Studio series deluxes available for order right now. Looks like whatever licensing issues there were with Pagani have been dealt with:

Also a finally decent '77 Bee:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

capitalism is harmful to an incredible amount of people and the economy as a whole.

Sounds about right.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Danger posted:

POTP Nemesis Prime is an Amazon exclusive and is up (but not yet available): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B076QWG87D/?tag=transformers-20

Studio Series Bonecrusher is up for pre order though.

Should've been Orion Bellum instead of Nemesis Pax IMO.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Oh my god :3:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

my madcap, barely thought out theory is that Pharma is actually functionist universe Megatron who got shunted out of that universe when actual Megatron showed up and that's about the only conclusion I can draw after a few readthroughs

Except the functionist universe only came to be when Rewind killed Megatron before he could come online, so the "functionist universe Megatron" was dead for millions of years before actual Megatron even made his visit.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I think the LL finale still edges out the Unicron finale for me, though they're both quite good. Unicron I think really understands the heart of Transformers, the bombast and pathos and action, and puts a very nice bow on top of everything to round out the run, despite feeling a bit rushed due to how many plots end up being stacked on top of each other by the end.

LL on the other hand understands the soul of Transformers, the idea that both societies and the people that make them must themselves undergo continuous transformation, and that this process is rarely as glamorous or glorious as the grand conflicts that precede these transformations. I'm interested to see how the OP finale rounds us out.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

Maketoys Cross Dimensions Buster Skywing (Bayverse inspired Jetfire)

You mean MCU inspired Jetfire:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Get Jin Saotome to whip up some bomb rear end titties for your lady bots.

His steady descent into MAGA chud nonsense was both incredibly predictable and funny as hell.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Dawgstar posted:

MMC's Nickel is adorable.

:3:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Tighclops posted:

I literally haven't caught up with RoosterTeeth since I was playing Halo in high school, hopefully they're still funny I don't know I'm old now

That all sounds pretty good though

Camp Camp is basically the best thing that they make.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Phy posted:

Hey man! I like the stuff you post I just don't know enough to have a conversation about it

Did you want info on the fictional transforming airplane or on this particular toy release BECAUSE I CAN DO BOTH

The VF-4 Lightning III (because the P-38 was the first, and the troubled F-35 is the second) was at one point meant to be the replacement for the VF-1, which you and probably everyone here know as the hero mech of Macross/the good part of Robotech, and the toy of Jetfire. The VF-4 got all of a dozen seconds of screen time in 1987, jet mode only, in a 30 minute animated music video compilation set to fuckin' Lynn Minmei singing. Designed when Shoji Kawamori still cared about making planes that look like they came off the deck of a carrier, the VF-4 kind of bolted the nose and neck of the XB-70 Valkyrie to the rear end end of the SR-71 Blackbird, marrying the two fastest jets in the world into a design that looked like sex on wings. Then they did nothing with it until 2001, when they stuck it in a game on the Dreamcast, and someone remembered "oh poo poo we never actually designed a robot mode for this thing." So bot mode's a little gonkulous.

There's been a few garage kits and non-transforming plastic kits made of it, but until now the only toys have been from Yamato and Arcadia and were deadly expensive. (Like, Yamatos used to cost MP-36 money, Arcadias now run up to the MP BW Megatron/New MP Optimus range). Yamato's VF-4 was the last valk it put out before it went bankrupt, Arcadia was either a restructuring or someone protected from liability who bought all Yamato's designs and picked up where they left off. In the meantime, Bandai's been putting out a bunch of toys under the Hi-Metal R and DX Chogokin lines. The Hi-Metals are smaller and somewhat less detailed, the DX Chogokins are 1/60 scale and fully perfect transformation. I only found out about either lines a couple weeks ago, after the preorders for the VF-4 were sold out. Cue me checking in every day to see if it'd been released, and when it was on last Friday I got an order into Bandai's own online store because HLJ, Amiami and Hobbysearch were all sold out. The Bandai order was promptly cancelled and refunded, so I ended up grabbing it off Japanese Amazon from a reseller for actually not a bunch more than retail.

This sucker is a Hi-Metal R release, which makes it about the size of an MP carbot. It's not a fully perfect transformation - the canopy pulls off instead of hinging, the landing gear plug in instead of being behind moving doors, the jet intakes are plates that yank out and there's a couple of filler panels covering the thighs. It comes with a VF-1's rifle that isn't entirely canon but still looks great attached. I haven't transformed it yet, but I understand how. Still looks like sex on wings.

Arcadia is 100% just a restructured Yamato, and in fact reissued the 1/60 VF-4G a while back; note that the Lightning was never actually designed to support a gunpod in fighter mode since it has built in beam cannons in its arms, but because of the Dreamcast game giving it one, having to kludge somewhere to put it in fighter mode was always a problem with the design.

Kawamori's latest valk is the VF-31 series from Macross Delta, and it's basically the zenith of his design ethos: extremely clean undercarriage, perfectly logical transformation scheme, and an absolutely inspired mission pod inherited from the YF-30 Chronos that allows for the plane to basically carry a strike pack with it at all times as a deployable turret, or as an integrated gunpod. Also by some coincidence, I just got a VF-31F in the mail today:

It is very good. If you never liked how clunky gunpods looked hanging off of variable fighters in the past, the Siegfried is the one for you; its main gunpod stores extremely flush on the undercarriage, and its arm mounted guntonfas end up integrating smoothly into the wing roots in fighter mode.

EDIT: also the packaging for this thing is charming as gently caress, the box insert looks like this:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I just got my shipping notification from Pulse about Ectotron so it looks like the first round preorders are going out now.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Unless you’re doing a bit about how everyone forgets about rong, he turns into a 3D printer for matrices of leadership

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

GD_American posted:

I had the whole bookshelf collection of those Masterpiece Valkyries. Their quality control was loving awful. The Alpha Fighters (the ones I really wanted) were sub-KO quality.

I'm really hoping the upcoming Sen-Ti-Nel RIOBOT Legioss somehow breaks the curse of Legioss toys, because all the others have been varying degrees of bad. The Masterpiece/Aoshima ones fall apart in a light breeze, the CMs have no stability and are extremely off model, and the Evolution Toys' ones have durability issues as well.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

Someone on the FB groups is emphatically saying it’s been discontinued already.

Well the one I went to this morning didn't get the memo, it seems :toot:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

Who else has Ectotron? Is there a trick to getting the backpack to stay on in robot mode? It falls off (and the cable falls out of the proton gun’s handle) if you look at it funny.

If you try to plug it into the same hole as car mode, it won't stay attached at all. Rather, there's an easily missable tab on the lightbar where the pack will clip in securely.

3 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 16, 2019

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

Oh no, it’s in the tab (the one in the light bar), but there’s no grip to hold it there.

Might just be lovely manufacturing tolerances then, mine stays in no problem :shrug:
Only thing I can think of that might help would be some double-sided tape or blue tack.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
It's specifically the Takara CW Roller from the Grand Galvatron set.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

juggalo baby coffin posted:

why is clear plastic so brittle? is it a different type of plastic to everything else? I think most transformers are made of ABS, PVC, PA etc right?

i know that in most plastics its the colourant that weakens the material, and the natural colour is usually whitish. metallic stuff tends to suffer more because its larger particulates than the dyes used for most colours

I believe that most clear plastics are polycarbonate, which is much more brittle than the other plastics you listed.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

juggalo baby coffin posted:

or if there's an alcohol themed transformer i could get them, exhaust, and megatron together and have the ATF squad

Maccadam.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Super Megatron is up for preorder on Pulse for $60. Unless you live in Quebec, I guess.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Why hasn't a wheelgun megatron been made since the diaclone days

I mean Classics Megatron turned into a nerf maverick :v:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Picked up Blast Master and Fuzer today, a fun little detail is that Blast Master has a tiny cockpit molded onto his half of the shuttle while Fuzer has engines molded onto his, so that they could still feasibly act as two separate vehicles in alt mode rather than just a space shuttle that's been chopped in half.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Lodin posted:

I noticed today that BBTS has put up this chonky lad from Bandai at a ridiculous 150 bucks. There's also a Space Marine and Necron coming from McFarlane and even Funo Pop has some Marines. What hit me was that since Games Workshop is now open to making deals with toy companies it's not entirely impossible that we'll one day see a TF/Warhams crossover. Make the Terminator that turns into a Land Raider, you cowards!

Just a heads up that those figures are available for pre-order until the 19th direct from GW for $100 USD, and made-to-order to avoid the supply issues they had with the Ultramarine. I know BBTS tends to mark prices up but a 50% markup is highway robbery.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Definitely not just a playset:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

So where's the best place to preorder these? I don't really feel like hunting in big box stores right now.

Hasbro Pulse is supposed to have some of these up at 5pm EST today.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

Oh no trust me, it absolutely was.

Yeah, you’ve really got your finger on the pulse of comedy in an era where living with your parents is increasingly a financial necessity for a significant fraction of the population :rolleyes:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It seems like a no-brainer, but aside from those Comic Con crossover sets, the only mass-market crossover in over 35 years was Energon Snow Cat, right? Some third-party company made a very cool-looking Optimus Prime that transforms into a G.I. Joe Rolling Thunder, which was the biggest and coolest Joe vehicle I ever owned as a kid.

Don't forget Combiner Wars Viper:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Yeah that’s de-grimeified Siege Springer.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

DoctorWhat posted:

Prime is homogeneous slurry incapable of commiting to change or development. What the gently caress was Smokescreen's arc supposed to be. He ends up in a cave with a dying Optimus and the Matrix and all and doesn't inherit it. The relic hunts in general were pointless. Bumblebee "matures" over the course of the show? Horseshit, he just gets luckier in fights and other characters talk about how much more mature he is while he makes artoo noises until he's suddenly Will Friedle and becomes a totally different character. The character the show is named after gets three whole episodes of having emotional interiority before the whole Orion Pax thing is forgotten.

The show was a production mess whose only ambition was being "epic". But it's just a bunch of pretty things happening, expensive guest stars, and a handful of memorable one-off episodes like roid rage ratchet and season finales. It does not cohere.

cool

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Nodosaur posted:

I don't understand what the appeal of Fulcrum is.

It's obviously his chin, did you even read the comic

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Vaporware posted:

These are spectacular vehicles with incredible molding, but I havent seen the larger ones yet. Do they have playset modes?

The Falcon has a removable top panel revealing a full interior, including the lounge with the dejarik table which is hella neat.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

flavor.flv posted:

I was going to say energon arcee looked a lot better than that, but then I looked up some pics and no she did not.

Still could have done the feet better though

:thunk:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Highbrow was an incredible mold but I'm eternally befuddled by how, to my knowledge, no third-party group ever made wing extensions for him and Powerdive to get them closer to the proper wingspan of a P-38. Closest I ever saw was someone who kludged the wings from a Revell P-38 kit onto the figure but those pictures appear to be lost to time.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Knormal posted:

There's a big difference between capital-G Gamers and people who play video games.

The true Gamer Edition would have rainbow LEDs.

The true Gamer Edition was just taken off TFSource I think :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Habibi posted:

What's a G?

Not much, what's a G with you?