Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

does anyone know if the DNA Designs Bludgeon figure is good quality? I grew up in the UK reading the comics, and bludgeon was my favourite guy, but there's never been a good figure of him afaik. I'd like to buy the fancy looking 3rd party one, but I don't want to spend that much money on something that falls apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

because of the time period I was born in (missed gen 1 completely, but was target age for gen 2) all i really had for transformers media was some old VHS tapes of a few episodes of the cartoon, and the UK comics. it was weird when i got older and got the internet and got a couple of confused reactions when I talked about the main decepticon being an orange skeleton samurai who kept murdering everyone all the time.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 29, 2019

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

does anyone make a scourge with the sassy pink fingernails from the cartoon? i want that scourge.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Keldroc posted:

The X-Transbots one has them.

drat now that is tempting. scourge was one of my first transformers i got as a kid, found him at a car boot sale. there's just something super cool about the sweeps and cyclonus. i wish they had done toys of the quintessons at some point, i loved the tentacle guy with the snail-looking head.

edit: or some of the non-wreckgar junkions, like the lady from big broadcast or the background guy with viking horns.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah I'm trying to remember who ate the first probation I ever saw in one of our TF threads making transphobic comments about that.

That CHUG one is real good though.

did they not watch the cartoon? the pink nails have always been scourge's thing, and the use of colour is one of the main things that makes transformers stand out so much from other robot toys.

speaking of use of colour, my sixshot got here today (first transformer i've bought in like 10 years), and he's the perfect size to ride on the weird skeleton horse i've had for what seems like my entire life. I have no idea where it's from, but it somehow survived every time I got rid of childhood toys.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 30, 2019

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Pretty sure that's from Skeleton Warriors

hell yeah, that's it!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Droyer posted:

I'm not sure what you mean here, can you clarify?

it's mostly applicable to the G1 cartoon designs, i'm probably going to articulate it poorly, but it's kind of like how the simpsons originally used its own weird palette of colours compared to other cartoons. Outside of the very earliest designs the transformers use some very unorthodox colours, either muted shades or pastels, and use those colours in larger 'blocks' than other stuff. you could argue, i guess, that its cheap animation, but to me it was what always grabbed me.

Look at someone like Devastator compared to an equivalent like the power rangers megazord:

or scourge compared to a fairly classic gundam:

a majority of other robot toys, either american or japanese, had a big focus on lots of details (buttons and dials and designs) and lots of different little splashes of colour around, usually in bright primary colours. A fair number of the transformers use primary colours, especially the very earliest diaclone ones, but they use them in big blocks, rather than in bits all over. The animation ones have guys who are fairly muted in their colours, like scourge with his couple of blues and grey face, but then they have one contrast colour that makes them pop where they would otherwise be boring.

Even the insignias are all one colour, rather than being a more complex design.

To me the way they used colour brought the transformers more in line with classic cartoon designs like the scooby gang:

I know a big part of designing for animation (or just cost in general) is to keep the amount of colours and complexity down, but a lot of great looking stuff has come from those sort of restrictions. The simpsons lost a big part of its look when they changed from the original restricted palette of weird colours to a more complete range.

When I was looking through flea markets and car boot sales as a kid to find second hand transformers, I got good at picking them out from pretty far away because of the way they were coloured. They always stood out from the voltrons and power rangers toys and whatever knockoffs cause none of those ever did a giant puce-coloured robot.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Droyer posted:

I sorta see your point but I'm not sure I agree. Both of the counter-examples you've chosen are protagonists, which are almost always more colorful since they're also the main product to market to children. Here's a Gouf from the first Gundam anime, and I don't think his colorscheme is particularly different from Scourge's:

oh yeah there's definitely examples of that type of colouring in other robot franchises, but I don't know any that use it so universally across the board. Even optimus is blockily coloured compared to the gundams, and when you get to the post-movie series, the primary hero autobot is mostly a weird orange and maroon colour with yellow details. But then you look at kup, cyclonus, springer, galvatron, wreck-gar etc and they're all very strange colours compared to the majority of other robot toys.

it reminds me almost of moebius or something

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Burkion posted:

Okay

Okay

How the gently caress does the new Masterpiece Optimus cost nearly as much as the new goddamn Unicron

the prices on the new masterpieces seem very wild. i'd like the g1 toy deco megatron but its so much fuckin money.

SlothfulCobra posted:

They totes did.

A snaky-dude back in Energon, and then a bunch of 3rd-party show-accurate ones. Not that I would recommend going on some mad quest to find them, but if you want, they're out there somewhere.

holy cow, the only one of the tentacle guy i managed to find was going for $200 on ebay, that's wild. I guess everyone wants the quintessons.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i wish i had known about the new unicron before i bought a bunch of other stuff. i want that big boy, it sucks that its time limited

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

You've got until October now!

theres no shipping option for the UK so i guess i won't be getting him then :(

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Burkion posted:

This is just a preorder thing

Once he comes out, if this succeeds, he'll be available world wide

oh, i thought if he got crowdfunded they would only make 8000 or however many for the backers and that would be it. that's a relief.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

TFS Express/Omegalock are doing preorders which will count.

hmm I'll have to check that out, thanks!

is it weird to anyone else that there isn't a masterpiece galvatron yet?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Keldroc posted:

That's exactly how it will be. This is not a mass retail item, they're only making enough to fill orders and a bit more for replacements/defects, just like the Sail Barge. They may figure out a way to get some to European customers but there's nothing concrete yet.

It's called Fanstoys Sovereign and it's magnificent.

aw shiiiiit to both things

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

GD_American posted:

Galvatron's alt-mode was always superstupid, but his robot mode was fantastically designed and that thing looks great.

it always seemed like a waste of time for him to transform because his gun was just on his arm anyway, it's not like he gained any functionality as a cannon.

i really like this recolour of masterpiece megatron:

one of the vhs tapes I had as a kid had megatron in those colours on it, and he always looked super dope. I can't really find it for sale in the UK anywhere though, and I can't tell if hes painted silver or if its vacuum metalized. I had a bad experience with my 20th anniversary optimus, where some of the vac metal on the truck grill got scraped off while transforming him.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i'm really surprised there's no 3rd party jhiaxus or straxus. jhiaxus is a really long running character in 2 comic series now, but the only official toys hes gotten have been weird orange recolours of stuff that doesn't look anything like him.

does anyone have any opinion on the best version of overlord? hes a very cool character and i've never had a toy of him

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

well, this week i've discovered that high quality 3rd party transformers exist, and also discovered that they seem to have all been immediately bought by scalpers then relisted on ebay

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Keldroc posted:

Not that so much as they just don't make many of them. I've heard it estimated that the average major 3rd party release is only 1500-3000 pieces. Fanstoys may have higher production than most but still, these are super limited items.

i think i'm just salty that i missed out on a lot of cool stuff. i am very tempted by the fan hobby Overlord though, and that is still available some places in the UK. he's masterpiece scaled, but overlord is meant to be giant so he's like 18 inches tall.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

in the early 90s i guess hasbro had reissued the combaticons in the UK. the wiki says they were released in 92 in europe but I was like 5 or so at the time of these events so I must have been pretty late to the party. it took forever for my parents to track down onslaught, we didn't have a lot of money at the time so the majority of my transformers were second hand, but onslaught we ended up buying new.

then the first time I tried combining Bruticus, onslaughts arm just sheared off at the shoulder joint. i was a very careful kid, and i think judging by what happened next there must have been some kind of manufacturing defect with them. my parents wrote a letter to hasbro to complain about it, and in response hasbro sent back a catalogue and said 'pick a thing you want and you can have it'.

that catalogue was amazing to me, it was full of transformers I had never seen in the shops here, idk if they had even been stocked in england.

anyway, I ended up picking Grimlock, and they threw in a free Gold Bug with him.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Didn't Trypticon have swallowing action?

yea the big trypticon has a throat and everything for eating the little headmaster dudes.

i stopped following transformers in the mid-2000s, i think the last one i bought was the energon shockwave toy, and since getting interested again i've been really impressed by how far the toys have come in terms of quality...

..except for what the gently caress are those updated titan master pretenders things? how did they make the pretender shells somehow even worse than the originals?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

They're like five bucks. So your answer is "A budget of five bux"

Also if you're looking for 3P cheaper you can pick up used stuff at shows, or have goons ship you them or help in various ways.

o, i'd never seen them on store shelves so I had no idea they were so cheap.

I dunno how many cons they do in the UK, but i'll check em out. i have pretty specific tastes in transformers, mostly the purple ones to be honest. a masterpiece astrotrain, blitzwing, octane, the insecticons, or devastator would be dope. Or the abominus team, i forget their name. i know some people manufacture MP scale figures of some of those but i'd appreciate knowing which are best.

it's weird that even in the 3rd party market there are barely any quintessons or junkions. there's the impossible toys quintessons, which look nice, but people are asking prices for em that are like equivalent to buying a deluxe 3rd party combiner set.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

You just missed TFNation by a couple of weeks, and apart from that :shrug:

aw poo poo i picked the wrong time to get back into transformers

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Combiner Wars Devastator is basically Masterpiece level, at least in combined form. He's a joy. The individual bots have weaknesses but nothing dealbreaking, and you're probably there for the main event anyways.

and a thew review of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI8-2M1Xfls&hd=1

as for purple bots, you really can't go wrong with Masterpiece Shockwave. His transformation is a joy, too. There are good quality KO's that are like 60 bucks on ebay.

i picked up a second hand unite warrior bruticus a couple of days ago, and im really impressed with him. his legs articulate kind of weirdly (the hip joint is very high up) so i'm going to have to check out devastator. I was a huge devastator fan before I could even talk properly (apparently i used to go around the house saying DEM-A-STA-TOR), and for some reason the uk constructicons all came in yellow rather than the cool green on the tv show. I guess it was more realistic but not really the same. they also couldn't be combined into devastator, unless I was just stupid as a kid.

Did they shrink the masterpiece toys after the original masterpiece prime? I have him around somewhere and he's like a foot tall, but the newer ones are listed as being like 8 inches tall. Does that mean Legends Sixshot is already masterpiece scale?

sba posted:

top 3 piece that I own, he's drat near flawless, and his presence is incredible - it's the first piece where i was like "wow OK I see" about Fanstoys stuff. It's a shame that you can barely touch anything Fanstoys without paying an arm and a leg right now.

lmao the only fans toys stuff available on UK sites is Hot Rod, I wonder why

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

to me they should have made all the masterpieces much bigger because my brain feels a lot better about spending £100 on a 1 foot tall robot than a 9" tall robot.

Arquinsiel posted:

That was a later thing where they were sold separately, in yellow, with no combiner kibble. I had Mixmaster in green that a friend sold me with no kibble and then got Scrapper myself, but in yellow, and had no idea how to combine them because they are both legs... and I didn't have the bit they attach to,. They were then re-issued in yellow at some point as a G2 set, with the kibble. If you still have them all then try hit up ebay for the bits and you can finally combine them.

i wish i still had them, but I lost most of my early transformers years ago, probably at the point that they were just old toys and not yet priceless heirlooms. i recently lost a bunch of my old transformers when i discovered that the insanely lovely house we lived in was infested with black mold and it had gotten into the transformers too. i'm still trying to save a couple who have sentimental value but im probably going to get rid of the rest.

there's a couple of transformers from my childhood I really wish I still had:

- a big plane with a viewfinder on the back you could look in. I thought he was a G2 megatron or something but apparently not.
- a purple and transparent pink winged mini dino thing that breathed sparks
- a mini car with a colour changing front
- that grimlock hasbro sent me (some part of him broke and he vanished 'to be fixed' and never returned)

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 1, 2019

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

the big plane is probably Skyquake. if MPs were bigger they'd be even more expensive, not just materials cost but shipping.

hell yes, look at this big bobby!

man i thought he was so awesome. his forearms and the front of his hips broke off though, the plastic just rotted. is there an updated version anywhere?

edit:

Keldroc posted:

Then you'd be paying £170 for that 1 foot tall robot, though.

G2 Skyquake, one of the most notorious sufferers of Gold Plastic Syndrome.

G2 Sparkstalker

This is one of the Color Changers. Either Gobots:

Or Drench:

oh drat you got pretty much all of them. that wasn't the car, but googling him got me to his teammate, who is the one:

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 1, 2019

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

the G2 comics were edgy as hell but also responsible for making bludgeon such a cool character, kind of like IDW did with overlord

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

does anyone do a good toy of goldbug?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Keldroc posted:

That is a ridiculously clean robot mode. FT really needs to make a Bumblebee, because the new Takara one just ain't doing it for me.

Furman had already done that with Bludgeon in the G1 Marvel comic and Earthforce. He just continued it in G2.

my memories of the transition between g1 and g2 in the comics are pretty fuzzy. I know i lost interest in the comics when G2 tank megatron showed up and killed bludgeon, which I did not like at all. Pretty impressive too, cause I had the toy of G2 megatron but no bludgeon. He was just the coolest thing ever to me.

idk why but i've always been more of a decepticon fan than an autobot fan. I'm not sure if it was just the 'cool factor' of being villains, the colour schemes, or the fact they turned into more interesting stuff. the OG autobots mostly just turned into cars, whereas the decepticons got planes and construction vehicles and weird poo poo. the dinobots and sky lynx were also big favourites for me. the dinobots' hilariously lovely attitude in the g1 cartoon always ruled, especially the one triceratops guy who just hated everything.

i'm always kind of torn on the IDW comics. I like a lot of the stuff, but I'm not so much of a fan of tragic megatron. I think I like the literal saturday morning cartoon villain megatron better, frank welker's performance is so good.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

the FT dinobots are so gorgeous looking, but i kinda wish they did versions with gold & silver paint instead of the shiny chrome. I'm still traumatized by scraping off some of the truck mode grill's chrome on my 20th anniversary optimus. having the fragile chrome need to rotate tightly past the die cast window parts was kind of a bad idea in retrospect.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Droyer posted:

some more diaclone stuff arrived!

https://imgur.com/a/nKV0I2h

it's really cool how many variant combinations it looks like there are.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

why the heck would you do that?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

MMC's Carnifex is very, very, very good.

I like MMC Carnifex's face & glossy plastic the best, but I ended up buying double evil by fans hobby for a couple of reasons:

1) i could get him cheaper and cheap next day delivery in the UK vs ~£50 more + expensive shipping + long shipping for carnifex

2) pretty much every forum topic I googled had people rating double evil higher, but this was a comparatively minor factor cause I don't trust most people's taste and double evil is newer, and people always rave about newer stuff (except when they say it is the worst thing ever).

3) i think he is scaled better with the other masterpiece toys? i could be wrong

i was sad to read they were going to do another reissue of carnifex this year but cancelled it because preorder numbers were too low. I'd have been on that straight away.

idk if i am on crack but I pretty strongly remember seeing overlord in a shop in the uk at some point, I got a weird flashback to childhood when I first saw the character as an adult. It doesn't make a lot of sense cause iirc he was a japan-only transformer in G1, but I dunno who I would be confusing him with.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i have the diaclone black omega supreme (incomplete though) kicking around somewhere. like most of my toys i picked it up at a car boot sale somewhere. he's got his arms, legs, head, hands, but not the wings that form the track.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Droyer posted:

Omega Supreme was never a Diaclone toy.

huh i guess I was wrong, he was a different brand of pre-transformers toy that hasbro bought

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

MMC stuff isn't cheap, true. As to the size...

(Shockwave is standing on something for height.)

man, the face with the grin and the missing eye is so cool. overlord has to be one of the coolest transformers ever. I would've paid the retail price for MMC overlord, double evil actually retails for more, but double evil is still in stock some places, whereas for carnifex i'd have to pay secondary market prices. I still want to pick him up some day.

I wish any of the MMC decepticons were in-stock anywhere, especially the DJD guys

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Knormal posted:

You guys, something happened. I came up with a project idea for a Transformer, and a started it, and then I finished it! I've never made it to that last step before for anything even slightly complex. And I'm even pretty much satisfied with the result.

that looks really good, I had to re-read the post to figure out which one was the one you recoloured.

also man, i tried to watch the japanese G1 headmasters cartoon earlier today cause i wanted to see overlord in action there, and it's just loving terrible.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Overlord isn’t in Headmasters. He’s in Masterforce.

oh, dang. is masterforce any better than headmasters?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i'll give it another chance, i'm overall less of a fan of the human-focused stuff. I still don't fully understand the headmaster gimmick, beyond the broad strokes of a human turning into a head for a transformer. a lot of my transformers as a kid were headmasters (missing their heads, naturally) i got second hand. It took me a long time to find out their names, I had chromedome, fangry, scorponok, and snapjaw.

Fangry was in the marvel comic, in a form that looked exactly 0% like his toy, he looked more like a pretender of a werewolf with bat wings. I hope a third party or even hasbro does an updated version of him and squeezeplay sometime, they are both very cool.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

The thing about Headmasters and Masterforce, it’s not a tinier robot or human becoming a larger person’s head, it’s that the tiny robot is attaching to what is basically a lifeless drone and using it to get on the same level as their enemies.

That reminds me, give RID/Car Robots a try. It’s a hoot.

that is extremely lovely. does it even count as transformers if its just humans in mech suits?

i remember RID when it was on fox kids back in the day, and it was the worst loving show ever

also, the japanese VA for transformers is pretty bad. normally i like japanese voice acting but the characters all sound basically the same. I was hoping Overlord would sound like Dio from Jojos, but he is just generic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i got Brunt yesterday and although he is an accursed parts-former, he is very cute and poses well and can hold a lot of stuff in his claw hands. He both goes with Trypticon, and looks like the robots Bludgeon uses in the IDW comic, so I had to have him.

i think my next third party purchase is gonna be the garatron thunderstorm, aka thunderwing, to complete the triad of cool IDW guys (bludgeon, overlord, and thunderwing)