Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

This should have been the only thing in the new OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Desfore posted:

Holy poo poo. I love motorcycle transformers, and the spider aesthetic looks sick. I'm not great with TF characters, so is this guy a returning bot or a new character completely?

Also, has there been any word on when Beast Hunters Megatron ships? I need that Shark Megatron.
Just to make sure you're aware, that spider isn't a mode, it's an accessory "drone" or something that snaps on to the bike and robot modes. Here's the full gallery: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/3rd-party-unlicensed-41/perfect-effect-pe-dx02-aranea-final-product-images-177804/. It still looks awesome, but a lot of people get the impression it's a triple-changer at first glance.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So my figure subscription service Scourge showed up today. TFCC managed to screw up and never sent me a shipping email, but they sent the figure to the right address so I guess I can't complain too much. I'm not a big fan of that mold, but the quality and paint apps are good. I think it makes a better Scourge than an Optimus, since that mold's always looked kind of angular and evil to me.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So if any of the rest of you got the subscription figure, make sure you look under the packing foam. Turns out there's an instruction sheet and a bio card under there that I almost threw away,

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I've gotta say I kinda wish I made the drive down to San Diego now to get an early Metroplex.

Here's pics of the rest of the exclusives. I like the Starscream, Mirage, and Sandstorm decos, I might pick them up if I can find them (comparatively) cheap. The Rainmakers are pretty cool too, though the blue one looks too much like Thundercracker.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/conventions-15/botcon-2013-exclusive-souveniers-confirmed-update-pictures-added-177847/

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

As long as those upscaled legends are a cheaper subline or at the very least stay on the Beast Hunters side I think that's actually a good idea. I know as a kid I used to be annoyed having to stop playing to transform some of the more complex G1 figures like Jetfire, and those guys are nothing compared to a modern figure. For kids simple figures are good, and Hasbro doesn't seem to have any interest in doing that on the Generations side. Those new Generations deluxes and voyagers are gorgeous.

In other, third-party, news, loving FINALLY:

From the guys that did the FoC Omega Supreme, so it actually has a chance of coming out.
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/3rd-party-unlicensed-41/planet-x-fall-of-cybertron-swoop-177881/

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

Have you seen those awful 10" Spider-Man toys in the store that just have swivels at the arms and nothing else?
They have those for Transformers now too. I was in Toys R Us yesterday and watched a kid pick a 10" hollow rubber Prime Bumblebee over a real Transformer. The kid was like five so he wouldn't have been able to handle anything more than a legend figure anyway, and no young kid is going to pick a 2" figure over a 10" one regardless of quality. Thus the upscaled legends.

There's also some Botcon interviews with Hasbro folks over at TFW where they talk about this too. I haven't listened to them yet but

quote:

...also touching on the Beast Hunters 2014 assortment upsizing controversy. The main message on that one from both we will share with you right here - complex transformations are not being dropped in favor of simple ones, rather, both patterns will run side-by-side to allow for both an entry level and also a level for those enjoying more complicated toys. The upsized Cyberverse thing is also stated to be a one-time deal, by Movie 4 Deluxes will be more than upscaled Cyberverse though still going for that simpler entry level.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

Anyone else here have a Springer and have the same problems Optibotimus had with his in his video review? Like, where stuff just doesn't want to peg together right, specifically the panel that flips down and pegs onto the backs of his thighs in helicopter mode, or the side windows in car mode? Mine doesn't want to cooperate and I can't figure out if I got a dud and should exchange him at TRU, or if it's a consistent mold problem and I shouldn't bother.
My first Springer didn't peg together right, but he was also missing a headlight, and the replacement Springer I got pegs together fine. It seems to be luck of the draw.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I never even realized they had different heads. It looks like Black Zarak's Headmaster head is just completely covered up by a bigger PVC head, while Scorponok's is at least poking through a helmet hole.

http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/2010/06/masterforce-d-311-black-zarak-mib-part_28.html

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

My biggest problem with the mold is the absurdly shallow truck bed. Otherwise it's pretty good for a movie design.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Odds are pretty good only one of them at most will make it to market anyway. Remember when there were three third-pary Megatrons in the works?

In other third-party news, Impossible Toys is going out of business, and is having a death spasm of Bumblebees.
http://tfsource.com/impossible-toys-customs/?sort_by=newest

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

SRM posted:

I couldn't even figure out the entire transformation since there's not really a frame of reference for the altmode; he just turns into a pile of robot parts in a kind of tank-ish shape.
I can't be too upset about Prime Shockwave's transformation since it's a lot more involved than pretty much all the Predacons. The tank mode may not look like much, but at least its more distinct than whether the figure's just standing on two or four legs. Also I like the way his turret has those antennae on it so it kinda looks like a giant stretched-out version of his head.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm kind of torn over Scoop. As a kid he was the only Targetmaster I had (other than the Targetmaster versions of Hot Rod and Kup, who I never really counted as "true" Targetmasters) so for me it's kind of cool to get him, but at the same time he's a nothing character, and he pretty much looks like a simplified Energon Landmine, and the new Targetmasters themselves aren't really much of an improvement over the G1 versions. I never thought we'd see the return of the unileg. If they're going to delve into the '87-and-later guys there's a lot of more interesting figures I'd rather have gotten.

Armada Starscream and that out-of-nowhere Minicon combiner look great, though I feel bad for the poor Minicon who hast to become the legs when you look at it from the back.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

In addition to Masterpiece Soundwave coming out, all the new Generations and Beast Hunters figures are apparently hitting stores this week too. And I'm out of town on vacation, which always seems to happen, so I'll probably break down and end up flying home with a suitcase full of children's toys again.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Joe Fisto posted:

I now have 3 Prime Ultra Magnuses. Why are there 3 Magnuses from this line? Who knows, but I bought them.

Can you post a picture of the back of Platinum Magnus in truck mode without the hammer? The kibble on the Optimus version of the mold was a dealbreaker for me, I'm curious if the Magnus remold disguises it any better.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Oooh. I'm not a huge fan of the styling, but since Hasbro doesn't seem to have any intention of releasing an F-22 Starscream that doesn't turn into a throwing star for a robot mode, I'm sold. And it's iGear, so the quality should be good.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

i just ordered Soundwave off of toysrus.com, go, go now!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Sold out already drat.
Now let's see if mine actually goes through.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Blackheart posted:

Now speaking of generations, I wasn't really paying attention to the Orion Pax figure, but after seeing a bit more and a few reviews, I'm honestly impressed with it. It looks pretty fun actually! I hope I can somehow grab both him and Megatron, they might be tiny but they look like neat toys.
I found all of that wave except Orion Pax, and out of the three I have Megatron is my my least favorite. He's still a really good figure, but there's mandatory partsforming involved, and he's too dinky for a Megatron. Partsforming's a pet peeve of mine though, it's probably not going to be as big of a deal-breaker for most people. Trailbreaker has some partsforming too, but if you set the piece off to the side he just looks like a pickup truck. With Megatron it's his wings, so if you lose them his alt mode basically becomes a weird lumpy coaster. Trailbreaker's awesome looking but tiny, and I wish his forcefield thing folded down, but he's probably my favorite of the three. Bumblebee's pretty good sized, but really hollow.

I'm actually most impressed with the Legends/Commander/whatever-they're-called-now figures. Waspinator's pretty weak, but Starscream is awesome. He suffers a bit from an undercarriage made of obvious robot parts, but aside from that he's really slick looking in both modes. Conversely tank Megatron's good but nothing special, while L'il Chopshop is adorable. I didn't like either Optimus or Bumblebee from wave 1, but the two wave 2 guys are great.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Keldroc posted:

The first one of those "Transformer heads on a stick" things used for actors' eyelines has been spotted on the set of Transformers 4, and...well, there never really was much hope. Only a fool's hope.

That head really rustles my jimmies.

PriNcessofDarXness posted:

I'm hunting for IDW Orion, Megs, Trailcutter, Gen Legends Optimus, Bee, Starscream and Megs.
The Legends guys are up on Hasbro Toy Shop if that works for you.

So my Subscription Service Slipstream showed up today. The figure's awesome, really great deco, but Fun Pub packed her with one of those ridiculously tight clear plastic rubberbands around the back of her plane mode. That resulted in the soft plastic knee spikes becoming all warped inward. I put some small binder clips on them, hopefully that will straighten them back out because the wonky knee spikes totally ruin an otherwise slick-looking figure. Wasn't there some trick to fixing warped PVC, like hitting it with a hairdryer or something?

In other mail delivery news that doesn't affect anyone but me, my Soundwave's supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully he'll make it through the shipping process better.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Got my Masterpiece Soundwave today, and he is indeed awesome. Masterpiece Laserbeak, however, broke the first time I tried to transform him, so I'm forced to declare him less awesome. The vertical fin snapped off one of his gun things. I don't suppose there's anyone here who bought a second Soundwave to display in tape deck mode or something who'd be willing to sell their Laserbeak before I spend $40 for one on eBay.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Speaking of boxes, have some TFW2005.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Optimist Prime posted:

So TFCC released photos of the painted prototypes for Transmutate and Protoform X but all I want to talk about is MMC's Nova Prime because holy poo poo

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/3rd-party-unlicensed-41/mastermind-creations-seraph-prominion-nova-prime-178183/

I didn't give a drat about Hexatron but now I need him to sell out, immediately.* Whatever it takes for this thing to get made.

*unless he already did
So is Nova Prime a big deal in the comics or something? I lost track of the comics a long time ago when he was the leader in the Dark Universe or whatever, and the wiki page on him looks like he hasn't done much since then. I mean it is an awesome design, but I don't really get the excitement over the character.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

And WHERE'S A loving DECENT GALVATRON GUYS?!?
There's so many other characters that seem like they'd be bigger draws than the IDW guys. Galvatron, Skylynx, a cassette player Blaster, cartoon-accurate Skyfire, Scorponok, the Dinobots. I know some of those are in the works but until they actually come out I don't trust them. Then there's the guys we have gotten in some 3rd party form but could really use a better version, Powermaster Prime, Ultra Magnus, gun Megatron that isn't all swirly, G1 Arcee, Alpha Trion. Considering the various companies clearly aren't concerned with stepping on each other's toes I'm surprised no one's tried to one-up those guys.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Is there a resource where I can see all the 3rd party "transformers" that have been made? Predaking and Devastator sound awesome.
Here's a pretty good list, though it's not current. Both Devastators are good for their own reasons, none of the three Predakings have had all their members released yet, and range from looking horrible to awesome.

Devastators, both now available as box sets:
http://www.maketoys.jp/MT-03G.html

http://www.tfctoys.net/index.asp?org_id=14&user_id=1

Predakings in various stages of completion:
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/635101-mmc-feral-rex-mega-thread.html

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/724869-war-lord-beasticons.html

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/923459-tfc-toys-project-ares-predaking-mega-thread.html

And I just learned there's now a fourth Predaking that's just been announced: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/948565-justitoys-not-predacons.html

By the way, the Hercules box set is on sale on TFSource for $500, marked down from around $600. That's a good price for it.

http://tfsource.com/tfc-toys/hercules-full-set/

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I still prefer Blitzwing to Springer/Sandstorm, but that's mostly just because I'm prejudice against the Season 3 guys. The Blitzwing mold has problems, but I still think it's great. You don't really even need to do the shoulder fix if you're just going to display it, even the loose shoulders can still hold any pose, it's only an issue when you're actually moving the arm. The fat painted head bugs me the most, because I know it's only a matter of time before it chips, or warps the PVC nosecone from pressing on it. I may actually buy the third party head if it fits better.

GD_American posted:

I wonder if Doubledealer will fix any of the mold's problems
If nothing else he presumably won't have the face-change gimmick, which should allow him to have a smaller head, though it doesn't really look like it from the pictures.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

It worked for me, Vine's just lovely a lot of the time.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

therealjon_ posted:

MMC just announced another Shockwave.

This one appears to be sized for Classics at about 7" tall. Kind of overlap, but Quakewave is all I need.

Someone on TFW2005 pointed out it's a remold of their upcoming Brainstorm. Seems kind of lazy since neither of their alt modes look very good. I mean I guess it's a more extensive remold than Hasbro usually does, but it just kind of feels like they're trying to force a generic robot mold into whoever they can by changing the details on the extremities a bit. Also I don't like the transparent plastic and hollow limbs.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/233250-lets-see-some-fan-modes-thread-127.html#post9896187

I don't think anything's actually holding the boat arm on, I think he's just got it hanging off a little clip.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Who wants to see the worst 3rd party idea since four Predakings?

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/3rd-party-unlicensed-41/third-party-unofficial-fall-of-cybertron-metroplex-178279/

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The only thing I can figure is they're banking on theirs having a better base mode in that it actually looks like a building or something, but the robot mode looks really simplistic, and it's either going to be a fraction of the size of the official Metroplex or absurdly expensive. From some quick Googling The third-party FoC Omega Supreme was $300 and it was only 16" tall, and that's cheating by including the track things that stick up behind his back.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

WendigoJohnson posted:

It's the only classics optimus with a trailer. His cab is also colored in the exact same way as Power Master Optimus Prime.
No, it's Energon Optimus, which is probably the worst Optimus Prime released in the last decade. It does look a lot better in traditional colors than in the vaguely Machine-Wars-looking deco of the original, but it's still ugly. It's telling that the Amazon page avoids any pictures of the standalone robot mode.

I'd still probably buy one if it was around $40, because I'm a sucker for Optimi.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

WendigoJohnson posted:

Just found three out of the four Generations targetmasters legends. I was surprised how big they are, they're much larger than the previous legends figures. I'm missing Optimus surprisingly, I really thought he and Bumblebee would be the easiest to find. But it seems the shelves had nothing but Megatrons and Starscreams with a lone bumblebee.

I really like Megatron though, he looks like a real modernized G1 figure. Like in the 1980's it was perfectly fine to package a tank with a red mechanical space bug. The one thing I hope they do is legends repaints and switch up the little target master guy, it would be a great way to give lesser known G1 guys a newer figure if they were a target master partner or a legends figure. That and you know they're going to repaint that Starscream 5 more times, we really don't need 5 more waspinator repaints trying to pass off as something else that is not Waspinator.

That ittybitty Megatron could easily pass for Overlord and if you give him Swerve's partner, that satisfies the Plane aspect of the Overlord figure but the plane would turn into the gun instead of the second half of Overlord.
Optimus and Bumblebee were wave 1, and seem to have been missed by a lot of the stores because they were in the middle of their resets. I'm not sure if they're still in wave 2 or not, but if they are they're shortpacked. I think Optimus is actually the weakest of the figures because his chest windows don't peg into anything, the flop open and closed every time you move his arms. Starscream is awesome though, and I hope we do get five more repaints of it even if it means we have a rainbow of targetmaster Waspinators to set aside.

By the way what's up with that avatar? I've seen a lot of people with it over the last week or so.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I wouldn't exactly call Pacific Rim an original idea, I mean the plot is basically Power Rangers. New to Hollywood yeah, but like Gammatron said that concept's been a thing in Japan for decades. Still the more Hollywood diversifies the better. And I think I remember reading somewhere that a sequel was likely based on the strong international performance of the first.

To bring this back to robots that are better because they can transform, I got a shipping notice on my reissue Predaking from Hasbro Toy Shop, it's supposed going to get here tomorrow. The site has them in stock now if anyone was holding off on the pre-ordering. The Predacons were the only major combiner team I never had any of as a kid, so I'm looking forward to it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Keldroc posted:

I'll bet on you both being right, and they'll be a team of robots with no alt modes who combine into a giant junkyard sculpture dinosaur that Optimus Prime rides into the final battle.
I'm not sure if you're kidding, but

quote:

Both Optimus Prime and Bumblebee will reportedly ride the Dinobots Grimlock and a Pterandon (possibly Swoop) into battle in Hong Kong...
http://www.movieweb.com/news/will-transformers-4-include-grimlock-and-the-dinobots

My guess on the movie Dinobots is they'll transform from regular looking vehicles into dinosaurs in place of a robot mode. I just can't picture Bay giving anything an alt mode that isn't product placement by GM or fellating the military.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Really I don't see that Henkei Rumble/Frenzy mold as Rewind/Eject. It always seemed like kind of a stretch to have Rumble/Frenzy turn into tanks, but the bot modes were so spot-on with the little things like the chest detailing and weapons on the back that I was willing to overlook it. But Rewind/Eject had their own distinct robot modes, they only shared an alt-mode with the Decepticon cassettes. Now Rewind has a robot mode that doesn't really share any details with the G1 version aside from the remolded head (which does look really good I'll admit), and a vehicle mode that has nothing to do with the character at all. I don't follow the comics, but I'll assume he doesn't turn into a tank in that.

If the tank versions of Rumble/Frenzy had come out in the US or if you've imported the Japanese versions it would be better so you could put them side by side where their shared alt modes would mean something, but since for most people Rewind will be standing alone it just seems kind of an odd fit.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Spiderdrake posted:

I can't even tell if something this obvious counts as irony. Can the TFCC perceive irony, or are they like, that's a smell right?
Gah, why does Chromedome have robo-rickets?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

On a totally unrelated note, TFCC Circuit has a pretty sweet looking car mode with awesome paint apps, but his robot mode is sort of an unholy abomination. I transformed him into robot mode once, turned him right back into a car, and that is how he shall remain forever.
His head is terrifying, like some giant bug. Overall he reminds me of the prawns from District 9.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Speaking of G1 combiners I got my Predaking reissue from Hasbro Toy Shop today. gently caress stickers, especially the tiny gold ones on Divebomb's wings and Razorclaw's mane. I never had any of the Predacons as a kid, some of these guys have serious G1 proportions going on. Razorclaw's stubby arms are particularly hilarious.

Anyway, is there some trick I'm missing with putting on Predaking's fists? It doesn't feel right forcing them in between the arm bots' legs, it feels like their legs are going to snap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Monstructor turns into monsters because by the end of G1 all the Decepticons turned into monsters. Check out 1988, it's almost Beast Wars. There's a few Targetmaster and Powermaster vehicles hanging around, mostly left over from earlier years, but everything else is monsters or animals.

Monstructor was the last G1 combiner, the only combiner of his year, and that year was entirely Pretenders and Micromasters (and Powermaster Optimus Prime). The Decepticons were starting to get some vehicle alt modes back, but Decepticons turning into animals or monsters was still the rule of the day.

The real reason is it's a lot cheaper and easier to design a figure that folds up into a weird lump and call it a monster than it is to design one that actually turns into something, and Transformers was virtually dead at that point. There were two monster combiners because by that point in the line no one at Hasbro gave a poo poo.