Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

There was a KB Toy Liquidators in an outlet mall about an hour north of me for the longest time. I went there once and picked up a dozen TFs that were all long sold out and somewhat sought after as well as a poo poo ton of Marvel Legends for $10 each.

I remember finding a couple Action Masters there in the late 90s. Nothing beats finding the original Toy Biz X-Men figures at a Marc's last year. The cards were beat to hell, but hey, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I love that he thinks that Waspinator only got a new toy is because he's in the comics, when its pretty obvious that its the other way around; especially when you consider Starscream, Jhiaxus & Dreadwings new duds and the shoehorning-in of Rattrap.

And if wanting to live in a world where Swerve gets a new toy is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

I've finally succeeded in collecting every last one of this stupid rear end in a top hat:

With a Fireblast FoC showing up in the mail today and I guess I'm still hunting for a turquoise G2 but whatever. I got all of them. gently caress.

No Action Master, Robot Heroes or Mighty Mugg Grimlock :colbert:

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
The Five Below in my area just had scores of AoE Power Battlers & Dino Sparkers :(

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

It's basically the same theme...?

So much so that they had to remove it from the US DVDs out of fear of legal repercussion. At least the normal, blatant rip-off of Queen's Flash Gordon theme got to stick around.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

MB13 posted:

So I got my Steelbook copy of TF:TM 30th anniversary edition today.

It's missing the widescreen disc. It just has the fullscreen disc.

Is this being reported any where else? Are there any other people with the same problem or is it just my bad luck?

Is there supposed to be one? Just wondering because of this.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Went to Akron Comic-con today and was initially disappointed by the complete lack of TF merch. However, meeting Aaron Archer and getting this awesome piece by him more than made up for it:

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Toys R Us cancelled my TR Arcee order, so maybe keep an eye out if you ordered one from there.

I just got a cancellation notice too and had also just ordered one. This doesn't bode well for Grotusque.

EDIT: Saw this from a tfw2005 user who asked for an explanation:

quote:

apparently with paypal and some bank/credit cards they will set aside the funds for 30 days (and not charge the account). If the vender In this case TRU) does not claim their funds within 30 days, the order is often cancelled.

Indeed, I used PayPal and it has been 30 days since the preorder went up. I just preorderd again, so fingers crossed.

Moai Ou fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 5, 2017

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
That's a nice looking figure but that face looks like it came from an 80's TMNT toy

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

The Sexual Shiite posted:

I want that for my cube.

That thing's big enough it could BE your cube.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
My dad was a fan of the show and took my not-even-two-years-old self to the theater as an excuse to see the movie. Wideload was the first Transformer he bought me, followed by the rest of the Throttlebots (with decoys!) & Swerve. I got a decent amount of the 84 & 85 waves at flea markets & my neighbor gave me his stuff after he grew out of them. The first actual Transformers thing I had was issue 13 of the comic where a mode-locked Megatron is found by a two-bit gangster.

I fell away during G2 & caught a couple episodes of Beast Wars here and there but didn't follow it until one week in 1997. Toonami aired the last five episodes of Beast Wars' second season despite not airing the show normally. That string of episodes (Code of Hero, Transmutate & The Agenda three-parter) hooked me back in. Despite "being too old for toys," I bought Beast Wars Inferno & Silverbolt and been collecting ever since.

Anyone else here remember reading alt.toys.transformers? Or when Hasbro briefly offered Beast Wars II stuff on their site? Or importing Car Robots toys because they're Japan-exclusive...and then kicking yourself when RiD starting in the US?

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I don't think you understand how this works.

Just wait until the OSKO Botbots start coming out :getin:

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Cross-postin'
I built a robot: Flame Toys' Optimus Prime (IDW Ver.). Build quality is almost up to Bandai standards with my only real complaint is the polycaps. They're just a bit too stiff and are actively pushing the surrounding pieces apart. Guess I'll have to pick up some glue.

I used Mr. Metallic Color and everything was hand painted since I lack the space for an airbrush setup. I definitely learned that metallics are much harder to deal with in hand painting. Lots of thin coats and I still have some visible brush marks. I intend to redo some of the panel lines later on, but anyway, pictures:

Moai Ou fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 25, 2019

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Finished handpainting the Flame Toys Megatron.I'm getting better about reducing brush marks with metallic paints using lots of thin coats. Time consuming, but worth it. It's a nice solid build and feels better than the IDW Optimus Prime.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Anora posted:

How's the build quality on them? It's hard to get over Bandai quality after building a bunch. Do they use polycaps or is it plastic on plastic?

The plastic is good quality, and the builds are between a HG and RG in terms of complexity. The build quality is almost on Bandai's level, but there were a couple annoying things with the two I built (IDW Prime & Megatron). They do use polycaps, and the upper arms (and elbows in Prime's case) really need to be glued or else the caps constantly separate the pieces. Megatron's skirt armor also needed waaay too much force to attach. That said, I do like them (Megatron especially) and hope that they continue to improve. I posted my build pics of Optimus & Megatron earlier in the thread if you want a better look.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Same. I remember being excited when Hasbro bought them because then I could actually find them in stores.

Then they sold poorly and killed the line and shuffled the team to Xevoz. Then they killed that too.

I wonder if they would have lasted longer if they had stayed independent.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Oh weird. I've had that since I was a kid and always wondered what it was. Now I want to know how it got to a flea market in Ohio in the mid '80s.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I got shipping notice for mine, too. My God Neptune set showed up yesterday and the shipping box was comically oversized. As in, I could fit inside it if I tried.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
My family's annual reunion is in Canada, and I feel no shame in admitting that half the reason I go is so I can bring back junk food. Why America doesn't have Smoky Bacon Lay's and butter tarts is mind boggling to me.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I got some vintage Kabaya Gum Transformers kits from 1985 earlier this year and finally got around to building and painting them. For being cheap ¥70 models, they're decent if you take the time to fix them up a bit. The peg holes had to be widened with a hobby knife because otherwise the parts fit WAY too tightly. Some parts wouldn't even go together and Prowl's hood got stuck to the point that I had to slowly pry it off over a few minutes lest the peg snap off completely. Also, I couldn't widen the holes too much either because then they'd be too loose for pegs used in their altmodes. It was a lot of trial and error. For the most part, they don't really transform traditionally, rather they partsform. I tried to stick with toy colors for these, barring Prime's windows. All of them were molded in a terrible shade of seafoam green plastic. They also each came with a 35 year old piece of gum.

Prime is the most impressive of the four I have. Other than the partsforming arms, he transforms the same as World's Smallest Transformers Prime; he's even a smidgen smaller than him too! He awkwardly holds his gun by the middle to his side since his arms aren't articulated.

Starscream is the runt of the pack, not even coming up to Prime's shoulders. He's also the only other one that partially transforms with his nosecone flipping up after removing his head. His vehicle mode is nice, but his arms don't have a place to go. They can peg into the wings, but they're not meant to. They look awkward and there's not enough clearance for the wings to sit flush with the body.

Sideswipe's my least favorite of them. They take some major liberties with his design that are unnecessary. His chest is, for whatever reason, upside down from his traditional appearance and his legs make him look like a Micromaster. His head is also a weird, hollow C-shape.

Prowl's pretty good, but is fragile in robot mode due to the way the chest, head, torso and arms all plug into each other. Move an arm and he's likely to explode into pieces. His head guns are now hand guns, or at least I think they are. They're omitted from the instructions, but they kind of fit in his fist holes, so that's where they're going. I considered drilling holes into his head for them, but he's already molded with a hole in the back of it and I didn't want to risk cracking it apart.

They were fun to paint and I'm planning on getting a couple more sets to finish the seeker trio and maybe paint up a Nemesis Prime and a G2 Sideswipe or something.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Well, I was asked in the Gunpla thread too, so...

It smelled slightly fruity. It tasted like bubblegum and a musty old book.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Joe Fisto posted:

Ugh I’m probably going to buy that Soundwave

I'm tempted, but I'm hoping they release a purple version to go with that comics-accurate head.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Blackchamber posted:

Transformers Toys Generations War for Cybertron Series-Inspired Leader Class Spoiler Pack for 16.99

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/23...KpApWGUL_PVUZtU

Grabbed this for the purple dinosaur, not sure how i feel about battle damaged megs.

Grabbed that, thanks!

Speaking of purple dinosaurs, they also have the reissue Beast Wars Megatron for only $12.72!

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I have never seen an exclusive Transformer at any of the three Walmarts near me since the Beast Machines Dinobots. But then, I rarely see any Transformers there, period. It's almost always completely barren.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Well that's an instant buy for me. I was just lamenting that we don't have any proper updates of the Breastforce after watching Chris McFeely's Basics episode on them. Plus, it'll go nice with the HasLab Victory Saber.

I really need to get back to the G1 anime series so I can see Victory, but Headmasters is such a boring slog. Maybe I'll just skip ahead.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Got some bots in today that I forgot I preordered!

The color schemes really make them feel like completely different toys. It's nice to finally have a screen-accurate Alpha Trion. Between these, Jhiaxus, Star Saber and now Deathsaurus, this has been a great year for a lot of my dream figures.

Vector Sigma is just a hollow plastic ball, but it's a nice accessory. The key can't really be held though, so you kinda have to wedge it in Trion's hand and hope for the best. And a word of warning DO NOT wedge it all the way into Vector Sigma. The fit is very tight and I had a hell of a time trying to get it back out without breaking it. Where I have it in the above picture is about the safe limit.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Fsmhunk posted:

Nice pics! Mind if I ask what setup you use?

Thanks! A couple years ago a few Gunpla goons ended up getting the same light box, an ESDDI 24". It doesn't look like it's available on Amazon anymore, but this looks almost exactly the same, so it's probably just a case of rebranding. It's ridiculously fast & easy to set up and stows away easy. The only downside is that the backdrops can be dust/pet hair magnets, so (at least for the black one) it's a good idea to wipe them down before shooting.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Wondering if anyone here ever read alt.toys.transformers back in the day. Google Groups has it archived up to the (somewhat active) present and I've been spending the night cringing at posts 13 year-old me made back in 1998. Reading an old fanfic I wrote there is causing me physical pain.

It was a neat time in the fandom, with the Beast Wars writers occasionally posting there and dropping references to it in the show. Discovering stuff about the Japanese G1 series, rumors galore about a return to G1-styled figures and of course flame wars over bullshit fake toy sightings (or real toy sighting a la the Cryotek fiasco).

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Just got my pre-shipment e-mail for HasLab Victory Saber! Here's hoping DeathChicken will reach his goal in a month.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I painted & built the Flame Toys Nemesis Prime kit (& a little buddy) last week. Out of the four FT Transformers I've built (IDW OP & Megatron and Starscream), this is the best. Great build quality & articulation without some of the wonkiness and fit problems that I experienced on the others. I thought the molded colors were a little flat, so I painted it up using Masterpiece Black Convoy as a guide.

Last year, I had painted up some vintage Kabaya kits and had since picked up a few more sets. Since I already had the paint mixed up, I figured I'd build one of them, too.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
HasLab Deathsaurus reached it's 11,000 backer goal; appropriate for the day Victory Saber starts shipping. The weapon pack stretch goal is likely, but I doubt it'll reach the Throne tier unless it's an 11-th hour thing like VS' shield.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Mine just showed up as well, along with Magnificus, who I thought wasn't supposed to ship until the new year.

This is my first Prime in a while and I'm impressed. It has a very non-Prime transformation to it. I was surprised that the (very flat) Matrix was removable. My only gripe is that the trailer is very tiny and is has zero color outside of the candy stripes. It's a big, white battle deck.

EDIT: Just noticed a problem on mine. He has two of the same flaps on his arm that open up, preventing a flush truck mode.

Moai Ou fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 6, 2022

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I had a bit of a surprise when HasLab Victory Saber showed up today. I honestly wasn't expecting him since I never got a shipment e-mail and my order status on Pulse is still set at "shipping soon."

Oh man, this thing is such a blast. It's honestly the most FUN I've had with a Transformer in a long time. All the different transformations and combinations were great to explore. Good articulation and everything just feeling solid with sturdy connection points. Fortunately, no QC issues on my copy, though I did put a teeny-tiny scratch on the chest chrome when combining Saber's jet mode. Just a beautiful, wonderful toy. Can't wait for Deathsaurus next year.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Apparently Macy's is doing a big sale on toys right now, their online selection isn't great(though they do have some Legacy deluxes for like 13 bucks last I checked) but some people have reported some good finds at their retail locations(like Laser Optimus Prime for under 20 bucks*)

*if anyone finds something like that let me know cause I would pay for that(plus the shipping and maybe a little extra as a finders fee)

Thanks for this! I snagged that Studio Series exo-suit Spike that became scalper bait.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Went to a toy show and got a few personal collection grails.

First, I finished off the Dinocassette reissue set. The Noise/Graphy/Frenzy set was something that I missed by literal seconds at a flea market a couple years ago; someone picked it up as I reached for it. Even though they're reissues, they were still a pain to get, being spread out across THREE different store exclusives. Still, beats shelling out a couple thousand dollars for the originals.

The pair that came with Studio Series Bumblebees came with evil recolors.

The combined forms are...questionable.

I also got the second e-Hobby reissue of Twincast with Flip Sides.

Lastly, I picked up the only piece of Kiss Players that I ever intend on getting.

I love cassette bots!

I'd love to have more of the e-Hobby ones, but :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Went to an alternative flea market today and the guy that sold me the Glit/Sundor/Rosanna set and other Japanese stuff for cheap had something else that I never thought I'd see, let alone own.

Nucleon Quest Super Convoy. Again, I lucked into getting it for far below the going rate on the secondary market to the point where I wonder if this guy knows what exactly he's selling.
Anyway, once I got home, I found that not only was it MIB, it was *sealed*. So I did the only reasonable thing and open it up and slap all the stickers on it.

It's a little hard to tell from the pictures, but the blue stickers have a slight purple tint to them compared to the God Ginrai reissue. I'm not normally a fan of the black repaint scene, but I can't deny that this is an absolutely gorgeous figure.

Wearing Godbomber because why not.

Comparison with Super Ginrai and my (alarmingly yellowed) childhood Powermaster Prime.

Powermaster Prime was my absolute favorite toy as a kid, so it was a blast getting to see it brand-new for the first time again.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Runble is red

Thundercracker is blue

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Joe Fisto posted:

I am an impatient person. Saw Tiger Grimlock on the shelf, bought it. Have one on the way still.

Does anyone want that second one? If you do let me know and when it gets here I will slap a label on it and mail it your way. Otherwise I will just return it to the store.

Edit:

He looks fantastic. My only complaint is I would like to have seen more stripes on the bot mode.

I'd take it!

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Joe Fisto posted:

Message me your details.

PM sent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
With many, many thanks to Joe Fisto, I got G2 Grimlock today. I absolutely love this big yellow dinosaur.

He pairs quite well with J. Balvintron.

I saw that Pulse had Doritos Jazz back in stock, so I snagged it. I'm hoping Dead End and Sideswipe are restocked at some point, because LOL at the aftermarket prices on them.

I love this subline for the fact that we finally get some lost unproduced toys in some fashion. It's why TFCC Double Pretender Optimus is one of my favorite pieces in my collection and why I love that ReAction Unicron. Maybe someday we'll finally get a camcorder Megatron or Buffalo-Dump.