Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Yeah the new Kreons are out. I've gotten two Grooves and a Vehicon so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

catch22 posted:

Any word on whether or not Soundwave will be hitting TRU.com at midnight EST, or on the 18th at all?

This is the absolute most important question of our current age.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Cool. Thanks, Keldroc. I'll see you gentlemen in the morning, then. I hope you all get yours (so long as I get mine first). Hooray, capitalism!

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I don't suppose there's any hope that the ebay store will still sell any at 9 EST, is there? It just seems like it was never in stock on their site.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yeah if it was there, it's not there any longer for me.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I'm holding out one last hope for some odd 8 PST drop.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

I hope you guys are looking forward to Acid Storm clogging shelves with Soundwave nowhere to be seen, because that is exactly what happened with Thundercracker and Prime. Because hey, let's order more Thundercrackers and not many Primes because Thundercracker is the cheaper one! :downs:

And Acid Storm is a WAY more obscure character than Thundercracker. So obscure in fact, that it's arguable if he's even a character at all. That's like releasing a hot toys figure of one of the aliens that appeared in The Phantom Menace for like 5 seconds at mass retail and expecting it to sell. Acid Storm should have NEVER been released at mass retail and should have been a SDCC exclusive or something.

All 2 of you guys actually excited for Acid Storm better army build that sucker, or else he's never going away.

No man, don't you get it? He's a Seeker, and he's GREEN.

I would be all over it actually but I am mad they keep re-using that mold without fixing its shoddy chestplate looseness.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Local Toys R Us in Michigan is already out of stock of MP Soundwave, the lady said they should be getting more, probably on Saturday.

Michigan? poo poo. I wasn't expecting to hound for another week, and I'm in Missouri. Time to make some phone calls I suppose.

Edit: trucks have already arrived and sold out, apparently. Shitaroo.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 25, 2013

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Looked around for MP Soundwave today. I got told the following like four times, "We had two earlier, but they're already sold out."

Two? Jesus christ, TRU. That's, at maximum, a total of 14 Soundwaves available at any given time in the entirety of the St. Louis area. gently caress that.

I also came across the new Wreckers at a V-Stock. They look really good, despite the handicaps of their molds. The head sculpts and new paintjobs all look loving killer. If they weren't 20 bucks each, I might have picked them up (V-Stock jacks up their prices like crazy since they usually get non-exclusives pretty early).

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I bought a Soundwave off of ebay. To me, the extra hundred bucks is worth the gas and time I'd have spent trolling around the city, as well as (now) not having to get up early during my vacation.

I have aided the scalpers oh god I am the enemy

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Why is it, when we talk about potential MP candidates, no one ever brings up Ironhide or Ratchet (including myself)? Were the iGear versions that damned good that they quelled all desire for one, or is there some licensing issue I'm not aware of?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

strangehamster posted:

You should totally buy a TRU Soundwave, play with the eBay one, and then return the TRU toy to the eBay seller when it arrives.

Hahaha, I don't know if I'd ever stop feeling shady if I did something like that. I knew the risks going in when I bought my eBay version about it showing up for cheap later--but it was (and is still) totally worth it not having to stress about finding a toy because I'm an obsessive maniac when I had a bunch of other stressful important stuff going on (like getting married).

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

MTMTE 20 was great.

I always thought the "compromise" for a Bay movie Grimlock would be for him to be one of those destruction-derby/monster truck show fire breathing car dragon things.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Phy posted:

The last we saw of Big Grim in current IDW continuity, he was pretty much braindead. Like, saying "Me Grimlock" was about the best he could manage.

I thought (rather significant MTMTE spoiler) we saw him playing cards or something when all the forged bots are seen dying? Was that not him? .

Edit: yeah he's stacking blocks. Not exactly a high-function activity but not brain dead, right?

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 5, 2013

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Okay, so I'm not having a lot of luck using the TFWiki or Wikipedia on getting the answer to this: What was the difference, conceptually, between Abominus and Monstructor?

Like, to me, they both seem just like combiners made from monster-type beasty transformers. And if that's so, I'm wondering why there were two.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Wow, so many responses. Thanks!

I guess my question was more like, how are Abominus and Monstructor different by identification? Like, Devastator is the construction vehicle combiner. Bruticus is the (mostly) WWII vehicle combiner. Defensor is the rescue vehicle combiner.

Abominus and Monstructor both seem like the exact same thing--monster beasty robot combiners. Is that correct? And if so, why two of them?

Edit: like the obvious answer is to sell toys, but why not two Bruticuses? (Brutici?) or any other kind of combiner for that matter

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 8, 2013

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Knormal posted:

Monstructor turns into monsters because by the end of G1 all the Decepticons turned into monsters. Check out 1988, it's almost Beast Wars. There's a few Targetmaster and Powermaster vehicles hanging around, mostly left over from earlier years, but everything else is monsters or animals.

Monstructor was the last G1 combiner, the only combiner of his year, and that year was entirely Pretenders and Micromasters (and Powermaster Optimus Prime). The Decepticons were starting to get some vehicle alt modes back, but Decepticons turning into animals or monsters was still the rule of the day.

The real reason is it's a lot cheaper and easier to design a figure that folds up into a weird lump and call it a monster than it is to design one that actually turns into something, and Transformers was virtually dead at that point. There were two monster combiners because by that point in the line no one at Hasbro gave a poo poo.

This is an excellent and thorough answer but what I got out of it more than anything else is that there was a Decepticon named Squeezeplay.

Squeezeplay you guys

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I would love to see some artist's rendition of the more ridiculous scaling issues of the TF universe, combiners or otherwise, that tries to be as accurate as possible.

Bruticus just dragging his enormous God Hand along through the earth, etc.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Huh. For whatever reason I didn't know Hoist was just a Trailcutter remold/paint.

I like Trailcutter better so far. I can't get Hoist's crane to sit properly in alt- mode and I think my version if it was constructed incorrectly.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Hoist's gun fits in the hole behind the cab, not in the trailer bed. It took me a while to figure that out.

Oh god, duh. That works much better. Thanks!

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

therealjon_ posted:

For those who've been waiting, BBTS put up the preorder for Diesel (not-Motormaster) at $119.99 for the next week or so then it goes up $30.

$120 was about where I wanted it to be so yay for that.

I came in here to post this. TFSource is doing the same thing.

I'm still waiting on Downshift and Last Chance because I put them in a pile of loot combo with that goddamn Chaos Paladin. I am glad they are fixing him and making him good but I want my toys, dangit.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yeah I like Orion Pax but his alt mode is sort of poo poo. There are some big gaps and weird proportions around his cab. I like the notion of it quite a bit but it doesn't quite deliver.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I'm struggling a bit here. Which FP toys have had trouble meeting deadlines, and which had kibble issues?

(an honest question--not saying you're wrong)

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Anybody have any thoughts on Hexatron?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Kurui Reiten posted:

Looking at that combined Motormaster, one of my complaints is the same as it has been for a lot of these; those cars on his legs are useless. They' don't turn into legs or something, they're just sort of extensions between the foot and the knee. I would much rather have the car turn into a leg, then the car just slam in there like loving shin armor. I don't care about G1 accuracy myself, I just want cool combiners.

To each his own, but I really dig the fact that it's just basically Motormaster wearing a suit of car-armor.

I do like the aesthetic you're talking about as well, though. I think the recent 3rd party devastators have done a good job of it.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I feel like the time limit on returns is about a month, or at least it was a few months ago when I returned a mouse.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Blackheart posted:

If you really want to sound like an TFW2005 user just read some Alucard77 threads and immerse yourself in the :psyduck:

Sorry for repeating myself, but this question got skipped before: if anyone has the FP Armored Battalion, could you share some opinions on them, and if you personally think they're worth the price?

I don't have them, but I asked this question a while back. The answer I got was if you dig bugs and buggy transformers, get them, but they aren't must-haves. Through watching reviews, I only heard good things I believe.

I still kind of want them but I just don't have space for poo poo I kind of want.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

^^^ I don't know if this is helpful or not, but the Armored Battalion giftset is $160 at tfsource, so that's like $53 per figure.

Blackheart posted:

Yeah, I'm sort of stuck in the same "I kiiind of want them" place. If they had Venom it'd be a sure purchase since he was the only deluxe insecticon I had as a kid, and I loved 'im.

Like, I think the colors are fantastic, and Ransack's and Barrage's molds both stroke that hot addiction nerve of mine. But I don't have the other three...and I feel like I couldn't have the second wave of Insecticons without the first, and I don't want to add SEVEN figures to my space (with the hope that some day I would find a good Venom).

Also I just bought Hexatron and pre-ordered FP Diesel and ToyWorld Chase, so...

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

oh goddammit double post sorry.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

The Rage posted:

Now combine them all.

Till all are one.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

No, but I'm going to be the odd man out and say I wouldn't want that. I can barely fit Fort Max and Metroplex into my collection. Imagine having like, 10 Metroplexes.

The only reason I would ever get so many Metroplexes is if I could somehow use them to hold up the shelving for the rest of my toys. Like a pillar in a Catholic cathedral that sits on top of some squashed demon.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

So I'm rereading MTMTE, and I just picked up something I hadn't before.

Chromedome's name wasn't always Chromedome? Was it revealed what it was otherwise, or was that some joke?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I know I never did it in here, but I TOTALLY CALLED Magnus being a series of even minier-Magnuses. Magnusi?

Star Saber/Cyclonus fight was so baller. HERE'S HORN IN YOUR EYE.

Oh my god I love Skids so much. And Cyclonus. And Whirl.

I wonder what Magnus is going to do now that he's um, y'know, had his entire reason for living destroyed?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

GD_American posted:

ok, so who's going to be the new Autobot Phase Sixer?

Rewind, obviously.

Overwind?

Relord?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

So what ever happened to Drift anyways?

He died on his way back to his home planet.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yeah I mean I understand the notion of not caring whether something is spoiled or not, but speaking for myself, the surprise of a story and being allowed to piece bits together on my own without knowing what's at the end of the line is part of the fun of fiction.

Like, you only get to experience something for the first time once. When you lessen the impact of that first time by whatever means--being spoiled, being in a lovely mood, someone is playing the drums next door--that luster of first-timeness never comes back. Novelty-chasing is a real thing. It's not necessarily a GOOD thing, but screwing up that first time moment for a person is a kind of lame experience, whether it's intended or not.

In TF news I ended up getting Hexatron and ohhhh my godddd he is soooo goooood

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 28, 2013

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I think the average for 3rd party headmasters has been $70. Not exactly a bargain, but not totally unfair either.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Re: Third party devastators

What I've heard again and again is that the MakeToys Giant is a better toy, and that TFC Hercules is a better display piece.

I have no idea what that means though. I have Hercules. He is fantastic. I think the distinction is purely aesthetic--I liked the look of Hercules better (especially his arms), so I got him. Worth every penny

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I hope he comes with a teensy Minimus Ambus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Man, Hardbone for $80 is awfully tempting. Anybody have thoughts on him?