Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
For some reason it seems like the steam store page doesn't specify the difference between the deluxe edition and the regular one. I assume it's just the soundtrack?

Not that that's a bad thing I mean, Hotline Miami is the one game where getting the soundtrack in a convenient download is actually worth a bunch of dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I thought that the plot in the first one was fine, I definitely didn't feel like it was the focus of the game though and that if anything the slight mindfuckery contributed to the game and meshed well with the stylish art and music, reading a more in depth analysis of the plot itt was fun but it definitely wasn't anything that preoccupied me as I was smashing heads and tapping my foot rhythmically playing the first one. Well, we'll find out soon enough I guess!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Honest Thief posted:

I'm having fun but the story framing is rubbing me wrong, not as enjoyable as the abstract feel of the first game and just hammering on the dumb meta hook. But man, is it fun!

I lolled at the "This has a twist nobody's gonna like" line at the beginning, the tone in the first game was little more trippy which was fun but don't dislike the tone in this one either.

As fun as the first one so far in general.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Choosing Tony only to have the second or third stage of a level heavy on ranged enemies or those fat tough guys is a slightly irritating.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Mr. Pool posted:

Am I stuck with only one magazine for all the Hawaii levels? If not where/how do I get more ammo?

Once you run out of bullets there are boxes that open with a big arrow on top of them that let you refill, but only like 1/4 of your bullet capacity at a time.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The thing with these open spaces and levels with tons of patrolling enemies with ranged weapons is that it kinda feels like you have to be a lot more formulaic with your approach and there isn't tons of variety, it's either make noise with firearms to lure the enemies towards a checkpoint or sidestep around corners to lure the armed sentries to the door and then just swing a melee weapon until everything is dead over and over again, as long as you don't expect to rush headfirst into rooms and corridors it really isn't that challenging, just slightly tedious. In the first game it felt like sometimes you could just rush a level swinging like crazy hopping from enemy to enemy and if you got your clicks just right you could make it, this time around there are too many enemies positioned just far enough from the door that you're gonna have to lure them to the entrance instead.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
idk the first time you start the game it asks you 'do you want to skip scenes of sexual violence?' if you chose 'no' but you actually feel like those scenes detract from your enjoyment of the game that's kind of up to you.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Sure I would like to kill people by exploding their heads with an electric drill, but cartoon rape is where I draw the line, why not?

- a person trying to troll the hotline miami thread.

I'm pretty sure we've been through all of this.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Pharmaskittle posted:

Just got done with the all-Fans level and I'm really enjoying this. The swan floor was kind of rough because the gimmick takes awhile to get used to, but it's been a bunch of fun otherwise. It's definitely a much harder game, but I'm thinking maybe people have played the first one so much that they've forgotten how many times it took to get used to its play style. This is like that original learning experience, but repeated several times. If that makes any sense.

I was kinda pissed off at the ranged swan being all wonky to aim with but then I figured out her main use was to basically stand outside of rooms and fire the gun so that when all the mobsters rush out they get a faceful of chainsaw, it made the swans far more straightforward to use.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
They are not that different from other levels just make sure you save a couple of bullets for the fat guys.

Lure people to chokepoints, slash slash slash, repeat.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The last dog in the nightclub when the lighting keeps shifting colors was a real rear end in a top hat move.

I think it appears only after you take the last guy out too, dick move.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 12, 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Finally finished the game, I enjoyed the story even though it was rather disjointed, the gameplay really leaves a lot to be desired and feels like a considerable step backward from the original and this clearly all comes down to the level design. Not that it isn't worth the price of admission or anything, certainly an awesome little game.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I finished the game in three days, putting the game down every time a level wasn't fun, I definitely didn't breeze through the game averaging B on most missions, it was definitely fun from start to finish it just required slightly more patience and some adjustment to the tactics. Ultimately it's a great game but really not quite as magical as the first, given the strong story and character variety it really felt like it could have been much better and like others I attribute this mostly to the repetitive level design, git gud has nothing to do with it as I also sucked at the first one and still enjoyed it more.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So reading some of the plot summary posts in this thread I got a little confused, the soldier character is not the 50 blessings janitor/pizza guy from the first game? I mean, obviously if the injured guy is Jacket I'd expect him to recognize the soldier but the art is identical (or perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me?).

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 15, 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

RandallODim posted:

The Soldier is Beard, the bartender/convenience store & VHS shop owner from the first game. All the Hawaii missions take place before HM1. Beard is not on of the Janitors.

I must be confusing the sprites I guess, been a while since I watched the ending. With that said I'll spoiler tag my post as many people clearly haven't finished the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7aiUlkR4dk

My first custom campaign is finished.There are a number of hitches thanks to the editor being a beta (FLORIDA or MIAMI flashing on every screen, for example) but overall it was pretty easy and a lot of fun.

This looks great. I'd try to tighten and stylize the dialog a little bit cause that lady drops down too much exposition imo, ultimately the dialog is not really necessary to progress the campaign so just make it a little more snappy and along the lines of what you actually get in the game, less 'you might be wondering about my voice well I used a modulator etc etc' and more something like 'I can tell I am not what you expected, well we all have a few tricks up our sleeve' or something . But really, it looks great.

• Locked thread