Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Sunning posted:

Some awesome :words:
Seriously, this post was amazing, I hadn't looked at Silence of the Lambs like that before.

Hotline Miami on the whole was pretty sinister, and you could take a number of interpretations of the main character's relationship with the prostitute, but I read him as a basically decent man with a kind of Manchurian Candidate thing going on related to his telephone. I thought that the one upbeat trailer that takes place in an elevator was probably the closest to the right reading of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Does anyone have clean art of the red symbol from HM1 that gets turned into a table in the Fans clubhouse in HM2? I'd grab it myself, but I don't have access to a computer that'll do it at the moment. I just realized it would make some awesome Halloween decoration.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Is this an elaborate prank from Cactus? I feel like this is the perfect self-parody for Hotline Miami.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Flesnolk posted:

Nah, far as I can tell they're the same dude, the lighting's just different in Dial Tone. Compare the models:

Execution

Dial Tone

Isn't that just the "generic Russian gangster" outfit that we killed thousands of in the first game?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Anatharon posted:

They haven't straight up stated it yet, but everything they've said indicates that March 10th is it.

That makes it more annoying that they're not just going and saying it, so we can put in preorders on STEAM (or the service that has the vinyl and action figures)

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I don't think anyone's a fan of Jacket or Biker as characters, just the aesthetics surrounding them. The Jacket/Richard combo is loving cool-looking.

I think Anatheron was making a joke about the characters in HLM2, The Fans.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

WRT Hobo: I would LOVE for a The Plague game similar to Hotline Miami. Maybe the objective would be to make it go as slow and torturous as possible.

I mean:

Hobo with a Shotgun was amazing, but The Plague stole the movie for me. I can't think of a harder indication that they need their own video game than the fact that they have their own video game in that universe.

Also I got HLM1 on release and didn't see any gameplay bugs (scoring system not included), so YMMV.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Capn Beeb posted:

Start dancing to the music and your mind and body will follow.

Hotline Miami 2: Start dancing to the music and your mind and body will follow. March 10th.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I enjoyed the fight with Biker, but I was put off when I realized it was a boss battle with a set pattern, that ignores all hits that aren't at the "right time". I'd be interested to see if they include an AI Biker in the level editor.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

At the risk of re-starting the nukes debate:

Are some of the cutscenes missing as part of a bug, or are some score-dependent? I finished the game without ever seeing Beard get nuked in SF or Biker biking through the desert. I also missed the Bar of Broken Heroes but I know for a fact that was because I didn't check my answering machine as the writer.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Shoehead posted:

What you missed answers your second question. Someone else should be able to tell you what chapter the first bit is in, I can't remember now.

Oh, it's at the end of Casualties, people have mentioned it, I just didn't actually get that scene at that point. I guess I'm asking, Bug, or Feature?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ddraig posted:

The first one is after the Casualties mission (the one in the power plant). You get a scene of Beard talking to someone and poo poo goes down. I don't know why you didn't get it as it is not a hidden cutscene at all. You did escape from the power plant, right?

You never actually see the second one, the only thing you see about him is in the last spoiler where he explains what happened to him.

I totally did escape, there was a surprisingly underwhelming reception from a relief force after.

I see, I should get that spoiler, thanks. People on the wiki made it sound like it had its own cutscene as part of the ending.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

People probably knew all about this, but yesterday on my commute home, a biker stopped in front of me and I saw this

I notice that the skull on Biker's jacket is also missing the lower jaw. Is there any way that this is a real reference, or just a coincidence?

Also, if we're to go into things that the characters represent (IE, the fans ingame are the fans IRL), what does Biker represent in metastory terms?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Zaphod42 posted:

Another way of looking at it is that Jacket is the Id, while Biker is the ego, in the Freudian sense. Jacket thinks only of himself and his immediate desires but Biker wants to know more about the world around him. In that case Richard would probably be the superego, judging the morals of Jacket and Biker.
:drat:

this is an amazing post and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

So, why DID Richter kill the girlfriend? I know Jacket didn't stop killing Russians just because she was around.

Edit: I mean, why did 50 Blessings order the girlfriend killed, not why did Richter do it.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Did they ever actually say anything to this effect, or was it just what you'd generally figure about this kind of thing?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Geight posted:

It's almost entirely an assumption on my end, but I got that impression from the intro to Deadline, where the phonecall seems agitated and even adds "In case you forgot" to the end of the address. But in the same scene, Jacket is also hallucinating one of the heavy enemies is using his kitchen sink with one empty eye socket, so it's not exactly solid ground.

I always took that as part of the message's pretense that Jacket's real persona knows something about the places he's going, rather than just saying "Go here and kill some Russians".

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Doc Friday posted:

They probably thought Jacket was too much of a liability to keep alive. The girlfriend was just collateral damage on Richter's part.

That's how I read it at the time, but that then raises the question of why they suddenly decided to kill Jacket, who was arguably their best operative.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Another Person posted:

Because he was their best operative. I feel like it was less a case of "This guy might inform on the police" and more "This guy might turn on us and attack us directly if we keep him around like that Biker dude." Jacket would've destroyed 50B.
Well, that's a guess, but not really supported by anything they say in the game. Also, 50 Blessings is basically nobody. They're a voice that calls you up and tells you a nonsensical thing about an address, and offers you no support or payment or intelligence or anything else of note. They're a numbers station on your phone, not someone you can arrest on RICO charges.

CJacobs posted:

Someone posted earlier that it may have been because they found out he was with Biker when Biker was hacking into the phone hom computers to get info on 50 blessings, and putting Jacket down is insurance that their secrets continue to go unknown, just in case. I hadn't given much thought to it before but that makes sense to me.
Found out he was there? Didn't they, kind of, send him there?

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 9, 2015

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Lacedaemonius posted:

I think everyone talking about why 50B had Jacket killed is missing the forest for individual trees. Imho it's as simple as 'Neighbors': when Jacket encounters Biker he's in the same room with the person who knows more than anyone else involved about who's making these phonecalls and has all the info he could need to track 50B, and no matter how you slice it that's too big of a risk. Like, the textbook definition of "knows too much". Jake's secret ending, especially lends credence to this. I'm just surprised they didn't execute him sooner.

They might have thought he was a Russian because he was in the same room with Russians, too.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

MONKET posted:

broken, lonely, almost sympathetic war vet.
Yeah, that's less fun though.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's not like it makes the gameplay any less fun you sperg
OK.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Brosnan posted:

That's also a completely useless way to distribute levels that would result in 99.8% of players playing your level with no music, or with some default replacement.
Isn't the default replacement thing basically what we're left with now?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

CJacobs posted:

Considering you can put in any song from the whole game, no, it's nothing like that at all.
I like the HLM2 soundtrack, but the playable level tracks got old in the time it took me to finish it.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Discendo Vox posted:

It is indeed violative of copyright and can get people sued.
Giving players the option to use whatever soundtrack they like is not by itself a copyright violation. I don't think anyone's suggesting they should package Nightcall with their demo maps, though.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Skyscraper posted:

Giving players the option to use whatever soundtrack they like is not by itself a copyright violation. I don't think anyone's suggesting they should package Nightcall with their demo maps, though.

Discendo Vox posted:

That is what some people are talking about- and it is violative of DMCA.

Skunkrocker posted:

So what I'm saying is if you gave people the option to put in their own music? They would create a level where Jacket walks in a room shaped like a penis where the head has eight walls in the shape of a swastika and one dog as the only enemy, set to the amazing Turbo Killer by Carpenter Brut.

I made a really short post, was it really tl;dr? People aren't suggesting that Dennaton should include unlicensed copyrighted music with their map editor demo maps. That would be a copyright violation. They are suggesting they should include an MP3 player triggered by game events, which would not be a copyright violation. This is why Rockstar hasn't been sued for including a custom radio station option in GTA 5, because doing that is totally OK. I have no doubt that people would distribute map packs with unlicensed songs, which is a violation of copyright, but it's a violation by the people distributing those map packs, not by Dennaton themselves. It is not "violative of copyright" to distribute MP3 player software, even if it is integrated into a video game.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Discendo Vox posted:

Dennaton's facilitation of a system for distributing such unlicensed song map packs would also be a violation of the DMCA unless they fall under the title 2 service provider safe harbor. The costs associated with complying with safe harbor requirements are such that Dennaton aren't willing to do so.

I was going to say you're reading pretty far into Cactus here, but maybe I am. I assumed

Cactus posted:

-You will not be able to use your own music for the levels, this would be too problematic due to the likeliness of copyright infringements, sorry. The music from the first game will likely not be available either due to the fact that we only licensed the songs for one game.

That sounds strange. I have no idea how Steam handles copyright issues with mods/custom content, I just assumed it would be illegal and prohibited. I'm not sure who to consult on this, custom music would indeed be sweet.
meant that they weren't going to allow custom music to play, but if they're just saying they won't include it in Steam Workshop distribution, that's only fair. I'll be happy if I can dump custom .zip files into the game folder to avoid that. Certainly everyone with this game from gog.com or whatever is going to need something other than steam.

Of course, it wouldn't be Dennaton having to comply with service provider restrictions if Steam is the one hosting and distributing the files, as I would presume would be the case. I don't think Dennaton meant to set up their own network for this kind of thing.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Skunkrocker posted:

Okay but you're not getting the point. Even if they did that that still doesn't solve the problem. All you're going to end up with then is a million levels set to the default song (probably end up being Acid Spit) because people post on their levels either "I designed this stage with Stress by Justice in mind as the music." or "I designed songs to go with these levels which you can download here" which most people aren't going to do. It's easier and better if the game forces players to have to choose a song. GTA is a really poor example anyway. This is more like the WWE games. Most characters people create are going to be existing wrestlers from past and present and people like to include the themes of those wrestlers; well, the option is there to add the music yourself. The characters don't come with the music, you yourself have to download it and add it to the game outside of their control. You know what happens when people are too lazy to do that? I once ran a 30 man Royal Rumble of nothing but guys from TNA Impact and every single one came out to either no music at all or the default song "Wrath" and THAT SONG IS SO ANNOYING I HATE IT GAH and that is -exactly- what will happen here if they allow custom music in the game.
I've never played a WWE game. I can't imagine downloading anything for that, but I probably would for this. I probably already own most of the music that people would want to embed in maps. Fine, though, here's a fantastic answer from the world of computer science: Make one track if people have it, but a back-up option from HLM2's library if they don't. This is not impossible, or difficult. It takes a minute longer than programming it to go to a default back-up track.

Skunkrocker posted:

Maybe downloads outside of Workshop... but even then we're talking the distribution in some form or fashion of copyright infringing music that they would be somewhat responsible for allowing to happen in the first place
ahahahaha what
:frogout: yourself

Discendo Vox posted:

They can still be liable as parties to the agreement with steam to set up the workshop- a large part of the problem is the costs of maintenance and handling potential suits. Again, as a publisher they undoubtedly know this, they're just playing dumb because they like playing both sides of the IP argument.
I'd be interested to see the agreement that would hold Dennaton liable for user-posted content on the workshop; STEAM might do that, but I haven't seen any evidence of that, and it's contrary to how IP law ordinarily works for DMCA compliance. STEAM certainly appears to follow regular DMCA compliance regulations; it has a built-in DMCA compliant notice of copyright infringement form. Have you seen some agreements that would suggest otherwise?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Pirate Jet posted:

you have no idea how ID3 tags let alone software development in general works
hahahahaha oh god

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Skunkrocker posted:

I think it has less to do with the argument at this point and more that Skyscraper is doing the internet equivalent of "la la la I can't hear you."
Yes, that's it I'm sure.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

King Vidiot posted:

I kind of feel like they should have just kept the game under wraps and not even announced a release date until they knew when the editor would be finished, and then release the game only when the editor's done.

I think you're only saying that because the game was so completely underwhelming, and I'd bet that it was because of design decisions rather than lack of production. They're not going to say "we had some dumb ideas, so we're going to wait to release and mitigate those with a level editor."

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Broseph Brostar posted:

It was a sequel to a well loved game, of course goons are going to hate it. It's either too samey or too different

Yes, I'm sure that's it, just goons being goons.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

TheJoker138 posted:

Stylistically sure, but the stories they're telling are radically different. The Guest is actually way closer in that respect, but still not 100% there.

Before the plot was made, uh, more apparent in the second game, I'd actually say that the first game was closer to Kill List, with the main character driven to kill, seemingly randomly, by what appears to be a shadowy cult for sinister purposes.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Stairmaster posted:

The alternate ending is not whether you pick up the phone or not but whether Jake survives his last mission causing the biker-route from HM1 to happen instead.
Does that determine Biker's success against Jacket, or just Biker's presence in phonehom? Is The Abyss something that Biker gets ahold of somehow?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Anatharon posted:

I find it hard to believe the Fans are supposed to be in their mid 20s and not teenagers.

But how would they get served at the bar if they were teenagers??
this game is mysteries upon mysteries

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Broseph Brostar posted:

I can't believe people are still worked up over the sequel having huge levels instead of little speedrunnable ones.

I'm sorry that the game isn't the game you wanted :cry:

So glad they used all that extra space to make long corridors for those offscreen shots we all like so much.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

RZApublican posted:

Achewood of videogames

This should be the thread subtitle, it fits so good.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Geight posted:

I liked Hotline Miami 2 a lot, I still don't see the appeal of a level editor.

You'd get that appeal more if you didn't like it a lot.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Geight posted:

I see where you're coming from there, but I feel like if we're being honest, Hotline Miami (as a whole) has pretty shallow gameplay and people assembling rectangles of various size and color together won't be nearly as fun as some are hoping it will be.

That said, I'll be happy to be wrong and I earnestly hope someone makes something interesting with it, just so that all the effort put into making the tool wasn't wasted.

Oh, you're right about that, but it'd see all the Hotline Miami 2 assets and characters put together in a game that doesn't have HLM2's terrible map design. It was a buggy game, but I'm sure it'd still be fun if it wasn't all offscreen shots and glass corridors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Zaphod42 posted:

Well, thing is we're still going to get a ton of levels that have offscreen shots through glass, probably even worse.

But hopefully there'll be a few good maps that get everybody's attention. Same with Mario Maker.

There's gonna be a bunch of "bet you can never beat this!" impossible levels that just aren't fun.

Oh, no doubt, people will make every kind of dumb level possible, but I'm sure they'll crank out some amazing stuff too.

• Locked thread