Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
OP, Please update the first post and add me to the list <3

Bike: CBR600F3, VFR800FI, and lots of vintage hondas.
Years ridden: a few?
Down for: riding, wrenching, whatever.

I don't know how I missed this thread...
I just moved to Richmond from NOVA, but I'm still up in the DC area quite frequently.

I no longer work for Brooks' Cycles in Chantilly, but I can still fix things.
If you need something fixed or replaced immediately, I still highly recommend going to them. Their techs are proficient and the shop overall is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

CheeseSpawn posted:

I just took my tires into those guys. Jason? seems like a pretty chill dude.

Who do we pm for the email distro? My bike is back up and I need to break these new tires in. Standard straight commute doesnt help.

Yeah, Jason is a really chill dude. Tell him Charlie sent you and he might hook you up.
...or charge you more since I had to move and left him down a tech for a few weeks.

Edit:
anyone headed south/west this fall for some mountain carving?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

According to some wonk on the Kojo show today, "there is a sea of asphalt just north of RFK stadium" that would be the perfect spot for new soccer fields.

Sounds like we need to make as much use of that track as possible before it's dug up into a park.

Holy poo poo someone call VAstunt and inform them ASAP!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Just a heads up on those dyno runs, let em know if you want "real" numbers or if you want them to baby your bike a little bit.

Either way you should probably change your oil afterwards.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
That is one fine rear end BLT. The Duc's not bad either.
Looks like you guys had a great time.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

M42 posted:

Morning trip report: Joplin Rd down by dale city has some nice sweepers and a couple faster speed curves. Just a small bit of lovely patching by the i95 merge.

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Yup, Turn left on Aden, then left again on Fleetwood and it's some pretty nice riding behind Quantico.

Man, I haven't had time to ride in weeks. Hope you guys are getting some good miles. I might be able to join later in July.

I love that road. Be careful out there though. Last year a couple people were killed by stupid drivers. I think the same is true of the year before.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

M42 posted:

Yo anyone know how to drive a small car with a trailer? Need a bike towed from gaithersburg to alexandria, have a friend with a trailer setup (one of the small mesh ones on a manual mazda3), but she literally just got it and hasn't ever driven with a trailer before. She's paranoid she'll gently caress something up. I'm even worse at driving, soooo.

No, but I have a truck and LOTS of experience with trailering pmuch everything.
How urgently does this need to happen? What's the objective here? Just moving the bike or does the car/trailer need to get there too?
DM me ASAP please. I'll be in NOVA tonight and tomorrow.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

M42 posted:

I rode from 8 am to 8 pm today. 211 and 33 were the only ones I know the names of, but there was a poo poo ton of backroads. 33 was insane. I learned a ton. My sitbones are in agony

33 can be pretty fun. I used to live in richmond, the gf lived in gainesville. This was my route every time I went to see her:

https://goo.gl/maps/4QQKe

Sometimes I'd take 522 or 15 but they're not as fun.
Occasionally I'd hit 64 and just take it all the way out to Charlottesville, then take 29 up. But that's when I just want to see how fast my bike can go.

Also, gently caress deer.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 8, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

That's a TON better than just shooting up 95/64, but the best parts of 33 are on the other side of 81.

This is the God's honest truth.
In that same vein, 220 is an amazing go-fast road.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
so did I miss something? Is VA no longer a helmet law state or what?
3 loving lidless idiots in 3 consecutive days. 1 Harley, 1 scooter, and 1 some other sort of cruiser that I couldn't see because of jersey wall.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

hot sauce posted:

As far as I know, VA is still a helmet required state. Were they wearing the brain bucket kind or nothing at all?

nothing at all.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

My usual rides involve Hampton/Henderson/Clifton to Church Hill/Brentville into Bristow/Aden/Fleetwood around Quantico and as far south as Fredericksburg. Otherwise, I'll end up further west, and like M42 says, take Crest Hill to 211 and into the mountains.

um... say hi next time you're around?
My mom and my gf fiance live (pretty much) at either end of 619. I frequently Clifton my way to work.
I love the freshly paved Henderson. It's loving marvelous.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

M42 posted:

When y'all gonna be at B&B? Anyone wanna do a ride after?

Where B&B and ride where?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The_Maz posted:

Was this past Sunday over in Clifton. Occurs the second Sunday of the month 'til it's too cold to ride iirc. Was planning on going but my hangover had other ideas. Going to shoot for the one next month though since it's a nice incentive to buckle down and finish the CBR.

Excellent. I'm down if the VFR decides to quit being temperamental. The weather is perfect right now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

hot sauce posted:

GnarlyCharlie4u - Gainesville/Woodbridge/Falls Church VA

Would you mind updating me in the OP?

Also, who went to Bikes and Breakfast on Sunday? What bike did Brooks' Cycles give away?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ought ten posted:

Hey let's ride on Sunday

I'm down to ride, just not with you guys. (no offense)
I've got a friend visiting from CO so I'll be in Leesburg all morning doing that, I'm probably going to take a quick jaunt West afterwards if anyone is down.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

hot sauce posted:

I'd be down for the movie, but that is going to be a clusterfuck group ride at rush hour.

Yeah I'd almost rather take the metro from Falls Church to Foggy Bottom and just walk the last mile. gently caress riding anywhere near DC.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Koruthaiolos posted:

Don't know if anybody would be interested in watching this, but ran across the only race held at our local track on youtube. Worth watching at least the beginning for the sweet turn of the millennium style intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXgoWIh2a6Q

:iia: Thank you.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
http://imgur.com/a/QZTeu

Whose bike is this?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Don't need to winterize if you don't stop riding. 1 month is about the max I'll trust gas in carbs without stabilizer.

That's pretty generous honestly. It'll run but 30 days is about the time gunk starts to form.
Thanks ethanol.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Quick link to my posting if anyone in or around NOVA is looking for a DRZ.
http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/mcy/5430415436.html

Never laid down?

Why the gently caress not? That's what dirtbikes are for.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Guys. 'tis the season for the Griffin run.

Who is 'goin this spring?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

HNasty posted:

M42 you thievin rear end lil trick! That's my ride! Quit stealing my poo poo man. Also 250 you have to be super careful in, that county falls in VA and they HATE motorcyclist, ask me how I know.

I'm glad to see that we've all stumbled upon about the same routes.
I did about 90% of that route on the way back to NOVA from Ohio (yeah, it was about 600 miles out of the way and took a solid 22 hours for the whole trip.)

I've taken 250 all the way from Beverly to Richmond without a problem.
Just don't ride like an idiot around Charlottesville and RVA/West End.

Edit:

I forgot to mention that I could pretty much max out my F3 on Petersburg Pike (220).

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 6, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

McLarenF1 posted:

:siren: Warning - Riding with HNasty will get you soaking wet :siren:

:bigtran: hell yeah it will :swoon::syoon:

:wink:
:wmwink:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

M42 posted:

FYI everyone, that's the best BBQ near the dmv

There is a document.
I suggest you do the needful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/177JV3yXFY_lnqPhEZ39DpejkwDAC9VZrW2TZa-DIf0w/edit#gid=0

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Koruthaiolos posted:

Ok, who's the rear end in a top hat that told all the hipsters about pit stop bbq?

Well one(or several) of you idiots put it on the DMV BBQ spreadsheet.

Pit Stop BBQ Gilbert's Corner Rt 15 & Rt 50 Aldie, VA 20105 http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-pit-stop-aldie%09everything%096%09SirAnkie, HNasty, Endless Mike, Koruthaiolos, M42, hot sauce

HNasty posted:

Anyone know a good lawyer in Clarke county that can make poo poo disappear ?

Yeah you're pretty hosed. At least they were nice enough to only give you speeding, and not haul your rear end to jail and impound your bike.

There's really 2 ways to handle this:
1) Pay a lawyer a couple grand (or more) to contest the points (if this makes the difference between you keeping and losing your license, it's worth trying)
You'll still pay the fines, but might not get the points against your license.

2) Take it up the butt, plead 'no contest,' pay the fines AND get the points, taking solace in the fact that you're not in jail

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

hot sauce posted:

:doh:

quick, someone say they got food poisoning there in the DC LAN thread

Alternatively you could put a "FREE BACON" sign pointing down Rt 50 from both directions on 15.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Tyro posted:

Well, I just added my favorite BBQ place to the spreadsheet. Hopefully that wasn't a mistake.

Pretty sure that's far enough away from DC to where it won't be hosed with.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

M42 posted:

Get yourself a camelback if you intend to do any non-commute riding during the summer.
I have a camelback FOR commuting in the summer.

hot sauce posted:

All you really need is BBQ and a soda to keep the engine running on hot DC days.

Also, guys I know I said I'd make a thread for Cornerspin, it's just slipped my mind lately. I will make it soon so we can organize the trip.

You guys wanna meet up on Saturday or Sunday?
http://www.thepitstopva.com/

I'll ride up and chill for a bit. You all can laugh at the horrendous shitheap that is my bike.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

uncle spero posted:

I use a camelback for my commute on a pedal bike. I am sure it will transfer over once I start a motorcycle commute.

Give me some time and I will be able to make it out to a meetup. The Rebel is a great lightning rod to keep people laughing about that and not the condition of other bikes.

Not if mine's already on fire.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Sweet. I'll ask the wife if I can go do biek things on sunday.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Sunday is looking good.
What time do you all want to do this?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-pit-stop-aldie
https://www.facebook.com/THE-PIT-STOP-246362309869/
http://www.nbcwashington.com/blogs/worth-the-trip/Roadside-BBQ-at-the-Pit-Stop-in-Aldie-Va--250787821.html
https://foursquare.com/v/the-pit-stop-bbq/4c0a85867e3fc92830b7f382

I'm serious.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

HNasty posted:

If you want pit stop without having to waste a bunch of time I'd suggest to be there by 11:30, after we can do the local loop or head further west up to yall. Do you guys wanna meet closer to DC or further out? I'm down either way.

11:30 works for me.
I might be there a bit early and try to drift around the traffic circles.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
The cobbler's children have no shoes:

Managed to do that yesterday. Also I can't really give it much more than a quarter throttle now without slipping the clutch. That combined with the fact that I REALLY need new tires, chain, and sprockets means I need to get off my lazy rear end and do some maintenance.

Otherwise, yesterday was a great ride for the short bit that I stuck with you guys.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Got new brakes on the rear, new pads on the front are coming soon along with a new clutch and chain.
The season is upon us.
I'm too broke for speed bleeders and there's probably too much sediment in my lined for me to get away with that anyway.

Who is ready to ride?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The_Maz posted:

I'm down for the show f'sho. Also anybody want to buy an F3? Thinking I may put it up for sale once I clean the carbs..

Don't you tempt me with your devil woman witch voodoo

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

hot sauce posted:

I'm curious how fast you'll sell it. It took me a while to sell the 599, which is basically the naked version of your bike. What are you listing it for?

I wrecked mine, and sold it in 3 days for $1000.
It ran fine, but the windshield, mount, and right fairings were pretty hosed.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The_Maz posted:

I guess worst case I'll try in the spring.

This is the idea. I used to put bikes up on CL about this time and I'd get a few nibbles from people who REALLY wanted to ride.
Now is the time to get rid of project bikes, because everyone wants something to work on over the winter.

First thing in spring is sorta tough because a lot of people are pulling their bikes out of storage and realizing "I don't want to deal with this poo poo" or they just finished a winter project and are trying to flip it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
STRFKR, Gigamesh, and Psychic Twin tonight @ 9:30.
Doors at 7.

See you guys there?
http://www.930.com/event/1283007-strfkr-washington/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

lowcrabdiet posted:

I have a fuel tank that I need to de-rust, preferably by electrolysis since Evaporust didn't work that well. Problem is that I live in a poorly-vented apartment and I don't want to produce/trap hydrogen gas where I live. Does anyone have experience/a set up for this kind of thing?

Me.

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2011/07/gl1000-gas-tank-removal.html
But I'm moving so, not at the moment.

Honestly, you're not going to produce enough hydrogen to be a problem. Trust me, I've tried.
Also, you should probably use prep-n-etch too. poo poo's good.

• Locked thread