Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is my winter (and part of the summer) vehicle, seen here in its traditional garb of Road Grime and Winter Wheels:

I could not lay hands on a Focus ST for love or money when I got it, but I also couldn't pass up the chance to own two Mazda3s in a row and the fourth bought by a member of my family. I didn't even try the GTI though I understand they're lovely to drive.

Phy fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Can you drill out the rivets or buzz the bracket off with a zipdisk?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Atmus posted:

Bright yellow, like the 1st generation Blacktron Lego sets.

Only if he ever only drives around with a black flight suit and a black helmet with a heavily smoked visor.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My brother's selling his Speed3 to buy a truck. We aren't the Super Mazdio Brothers any more. :(

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The new 3 looks way better as a sedan than as a hatch and I hope if they build another MS3 they do it as a sports sedan. There I've said it and I'm not sorry neither. Though it would probably be difficult to justify that with an MS6 also in the offing.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Aww, gently caress. Are you OK?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bajaha posted:

How would you describe the Veloster with it's three actual doors and the hatch? 3 door is taken to describe 2dr hatches, 4 door conveys that it's a sedan, and it doesn't have enough doors to be called a 5dr.

It's the poster child for "screw it, we'll make it both"

"A Veloster"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
This could just as easily go in the dealership thread. I just test drove a FiST with a very relaxed salesman who told me to give it the beans, and ended up driving against a first gen Speed3. Couldn't ask for better conditions to compare it to my own car. Buddy said it's the most fun he's had on a test drive.

The FiST itself was a hoot, not as fast as the other Speed in a straight line but more fun than my own to toss into the corners, and like no torque steer.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Like, negative. Women spring from the car fully formed like Athena from the head of Zeus, only instead of wisdom and tactics they bring tales of "ew can you believe those plaid seats?"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've curbed my Speed, because I suck.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

IKillForPie posted:

Hey I posted this in the Car buyers thread in Ask/Tell and got directed here.

"Just wondering if anyone here has any experience driving a Ford Focus ST?

Been looking at upgrading my 2006 Mazda 3 to something a bit sportier. The VW GTI and Golf R are appealing alternatives (although the Golf R is more expensive than I would like to spend on a car upgrade). This is something that will be used as my daily driver and getting around town for work. I need something for transporting skis/bikes/people and also work samples with lots of storage space in the hatch.

Realistically I would like to spend between $20-25K Canadian on a used 2014 or 2015 model (if it's a Focus ST, otherwise year isn't as relevant) with a second set of winters. Any thoughts or alternative ideas? I was really hoping Subaru was going to announce a new Impreza hatch this year as well which hasn't happened.

I really love the look and styling of the Focus ST and it's definitely pulling me closer over the VW GTI, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. I've considered maybe a small truck also, but I really like the compactness of the newer hatchbacks."

Even just from reading the last couple pages there seems to be lots of people driving the Focus or Fiesta STs in here. Maybe I could just get some feedback on your experiences with the car or make some recommendations to alternatives in Canada.

Thanks

Any reason you're not considering a Speed3? 2013 was the last year, is that too old?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

AvesPKS posted:

Test drove a V6 Camaro recently. The rear sight lines are bad. When I mentioned this to the sales manager he said when he takes one out, he just makes sure he's ahead of everybody. Winning strategy.

Firsta rule of Italian driving: What'sa behind me is not important.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
People with Speed3s or STs, if you swap the rear motor mount, you will never again forget that your car is running when it's at idle.

I don't stall much any more, but I still ratch a shift into second or third every couple of weeks or so.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Hey, man, don't look at me, I bought one. Blue first-gen. Beautiful car, went like hell other than the rough 2-3 shift (probably due to loose nut behind wheel).

Bought a 2nd gen new, it's an obnoxious little turd riced-out from the factory and I love it. I probably would have missed this product cycle if they were going to make one, but you like to see the line continue, you know? And I can't get over the CEO calling it childish. I thought that was the point.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

powderific posted:

Wound up getting her a Mazda3 with an auto and even though it's not a hot hatch just having a manual would make it a pretty fun little car. I'd take a manual econobox over an auto sporty car (but maybe the DSG isn't so bad?)

I had a manual first gen 3 with the 2.0 (slowest available in Canada) and now drive a 2nd gen Speed3, and I firmly believe that I had more fun with the 2.slow. I could just wail on that thing, and the 5-speed was friendly and forgiving. I swear, I was the last Canuck to ever buy one without ABS let alone traction control, and it never let me down before I let it down first. Sadly the 1gen rust had started in on it, even before it got sandwiched between a hilux and a domestic pickup.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I know what I'm doing to the Speed this weekend

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

IKillForPie posted:

Calgary, Alberta

I'm in town, I run General Altimax Arctics on my Speed 3, but I got a set of winters on Mazda rims from the dealer when I bought it, and the Generals were marginally cheaper for that wheel than Blizzaks or X-Ices. They haven't let me down yet though.

If you're gonna buy online, 1010tires.com or PMCtire, or order from Tire Rack and ship them to Eureka or Sweetgrass. (don't do this, the CAD's still poo poo)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
According to Jalopnik, Canucks can now spec out the Golf R in like 30 different colours. Actual colour, not just various greys and silvers. There are three different purples, just in case your first car was a brokedick B14 200SX SE-R and you want to match the "no mom its just a really deep blue" purple.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I never hear much turbo whine out of my Speed so I gotta say the Curly Stooge "woob woob woob woob woob" when I shift back into first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
In the SI you don't get people shouting "IT'S A GUNDAAAAAAAM" everywhere you go