Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

leica posted:

[e] Looks like I might as well just get a drat Focus or Mazda3 apparently, but drat the C30 is cool looking.

Turbo I5 baby :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Rusty posted:

I wonder why we don't just get the normal Hyundai hatchback with the Veloster drivetrain in the US? It doesn't seem like anyone buys the Veloster N, but you see GTIs all over the place. Seems like a market they could get in to. The I-30 looks nice.

I totally forgot the i30N is available outside NA and now I'm sad.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Turbo/engine swap the CR-V?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

wolrah posted:

Have any of the FiST people here done the reverse camera install or anything else that had you running wires in/out of the hatch? I am having a hell of a time getting any cables to pass through the rubber thing. I can get a screwdriver through but nothing too soft to push like a stranded copper cable, and pulling it through isn't working either thanks to the size of the connectors.

Normally I'd just go around it, but this seems like an area where not compromising the weather seal would be important.

Post a photo of the connectors? With those rubber boots I tend to use mechanics wire, a wire coat hanger or a large zip tie to fish wires through. Pull the boot off, stick your fish tape of choice all the way through the boot to the other side, tape your connector/wire really well to the fish tape, use a little lube and pull it through.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Fart Car '97 posted:

I don't particularly like the hot wheels look of the 10th gen R & I appreciate that they're trying to tone it down but I find the 11th gen hatch styling to look incredibly fat and boring. The R version doesn't seem to be doing much to rectify that. That wing looks like they picked it up at AutoZone on the way to the photo shoot.

Same, I really like how the Accord looks and was excited when they said the 11th gen was going to look similar. I've seen a few of the new Civics in real life and it just...doesn't work. Hopefully the Type R looks better.

TheBacon posted:

Man I want a dumb lil abarth now, they seem like such hoots

It's worth it for the tractor exhaust noises alone.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

dissss posted:

They didn't release any version of fhe current Yaris in the USA

It's this, it probably wasn't worth doing safety and emission testing for such a limited run vehicle.

So pumped for the GR Corolla, it's funny to see Toyota of all companies pulling through after being let down by the new WRX and Golf R.

They made about 45k FK8 Type R's worldwide and it ended early because of supply chain issues. I don't know how hard it was to get one of those, Toyota seems intent on making GR a thing so hopefully it won't be too exclusive.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
DSG tunes are recommended when you really start making power, the manual transmission needs an upgraded clutch before you even think about doing any hp mods.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
The Elantra N is definitely worth a look, especially if you're considering the FL5. It's very comparable but for 10k less.

The issue right now for the FL5, Golf R, and GRC is supply and the corresponding mark ups.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

grahm posted:

I owned two Elantra Ns (one DCT, one manual) before my FL5 and that is an incredible car for the money. The driver inputs are not CTR level but I would argue it's almost as fun to drive on the street. Also the DCT in that car is better than the one in my RS3 (the manual is "fine" but was still more fun to me than the DCT). The interior looks sorta garbage with that flimsy grab handle, but has all physical controls and the infotainment is great. If they offered it in a hatchback or wagon I'm not sure I would've made the move to Type R.

Probably the biggest downside of that car is Hyundai dealers combined with not-bulletproof reliability. It seems like a lot people have no problems but there's a common-enough problem that can happen in a car wash or heavy rain which causes the knock sensor to fault and the car to go into limp mode. I never had that happen to either of my cars thank god but I would not want to have to work with Hyundai to fix that.

Oh nice, you know all about it then. It sounds like the DCT and E-LSD work amazingly well, how was the valvetronic exhaust in N mode? Did you get a tune for either of them?

I hear you about those issues and the dealership experience, the octane learning is a chore but can be tuned out.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I looked up Type-R prices on Autotrader the other day and I could find a lot of dealers selling new ones at MSRP.

All FL5s though, FK8s were weirdly absent.

Supposedly allocations here in Canada are going to be like 500 for the entire production run, the ones I've seen listed here all have $20k mark ups.

The pricing here makes things a little strange. The Golf R MSRP is $48-$50K for manual and DCT, FL5 is $50K. The GR Corolla is $49K for the base and a whopping $59K for the higher trim, which basically amounts to a heated steering wheel and cosmetic parts. Performance aside it just doesn't seem like a good value compared to what you get with the Golf R.

Elantra N is $40-42K and you can actually buy them right away and at that price. The VB WRX is very good if you can get over some of the design choices, base MSRP is $33k which is nuts.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
I've been thinking about getting a MK8 Golf R and these posts are making me nervous.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

grahm posted:

If you want to be more nervous then join some MK8 Facebook groups. I don't own one and the amount of people with weird problems on nearly-new cars is why. I'm hoping they fix things for the 8.5.

Ugh, I guess I should go and take a look. I'm still considering a manual transmission, even though it's really the bad choice here. One of the dealers here is getting one that's in my ideal configuration: MT, no sunroof and blue.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Chiming in to say that my Honda Fit has been trucking along for more than a decade and its been great. If it had a little more power I wouldn't even think about replacing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
The rear seat bottom on the Focus folds forward, you'd think the Fiesta would have the same provision.