Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Volvo 240/260s got them in 1976, and then Volvo had them in the 200/300/700/900 series up until the introduction of the M90 gearbox in 1995.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

I'm never sure about test driving hot hatches. I mean, do you drive it sensibly and never get a feel for what the car's really like, or do you drive it like you actually would if you owned it, and come off looking like every other knuckle-dragging test pilot that comes in off the street?

Just wait until you're out of sight until you drive the poo poo out of it?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Math You posted:

I've never taken a test drive with a sales guy.

Same here. At least not at a dealership.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Twenty-nine, but it wasn't a problem when I was suitless and twenty either.

Math You posted:

Keep in mind that I am Canadian, so maybe that's why. Meh.

Yeah, this is in Europe. I guess that's why.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jammyozzy posted:

I've been window-shopping a few that are in my price range, are there any common faults or issues with them?

I can't really comment about size, but it is a Renault, and while much :shivdurf: about them is people who can't accept that things actually get better sometimes, they still have faults of both minor and major kinds depending on your luck. Ignition coils, cabin fan, head gaskets, electrical connectors... the list of things people I know have had problems with is long and varied, and still some people drive them 250k km without any problems at all. I think the easiest way to deal with it is; do you want one? Then buy one. Be prepared for the Renault experience, and if you're lucky you won't have a problem in the world and that's just a bonus then, isn't it?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Found this old photo of my Peugeot 306 GTi6. That was a fun car, and superior to the contemporary Golf Gti in every way. I miss it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My problem was how the trailing arm bearings disintegrated and destroyed the rear axle tube. Happened to both my 405s and happened to the 306.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This is the right thread for my newest addition to the fleet, right? :v:

1.1 litre, 60 hp. Hear me roar.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PadreScout posted:

Mines turbo is probably only for show, though. First FI car I've ever driven where I have no idea if it's on the boost or not. Maybe it was easier to put a turbo on it than a muffler or something(because Volvo).

Well, it is the exact same engine as in the second generation Focus ST and when I drove one I thought it was quite feisty? Fun fact; Ford named the engine the "Ford Duratec-ST" in a lot of literature and passed it off as an offshot of the Duratec family, when it's obvious for anyone who's ever seen a white block before that that is hogwash.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Just put down a deposit on an '08 A3 Sportback

Quattro?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Timmy Cruise posted:

I'm in Saskatchewan, which will be similar. The WRX sedan starts at $32,495 MSRP and at least in my experience the only break you get is if the manufacturer is offering discounts and only on cash purchases.

Edit: for shits and giggles, there is a Ford dealer in Alberta with a Fiesta ST for $29,999...

EDIT 2: No options base WRX sedan is $33,700 cash ($4k discount), or you can finance it for $38,159 @ 1.9%

I've never been 100 clear on this; would MSRP be the final cost of a car, or is that just a bullshit number that you have to add taxes and delivery fees and other poo poo to?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A WRX STi is $57k (eqv) out the door here...

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Timmy Cruise posted:

Nidhg00670000 - you're where, Sweden?

Yup.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

That's including 25% sales tax (and Lord knows what else)

Yes, cars have a 25% VAT. Add 37 USD in registration fees, and then (if we keep to the WRX STi) 410 USD in road tax each year. Then I pay 7.7 USD per gallon at the petrol station, of which about 65% is tax.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The VW Golf turned 40 yesterday! :toot: Over 30 million Golfs made so far.

DoLittle posted:

In Finland the VAT is 24%, but on top of that we have a separate registration tax which varies from 5-50% depending on CO2 emissions. This additional tax calculated from the price of the car incl. VAT.

The additional tax percentage is calculated from

52,15 – (51,95 / ( 1 + e^(0,015*(CO2[g/km] – 152) ) )

With minimum of 5% and maximum of 50%.

Edit: You have nothing to complain about over there in Sweden with your low taxes and relaxed laws on modified cars.

Yeah, my gfs dad is (a car nut) from Finland so I get to hear about stuff like this a lot. And my sister is married to (a car nut) from Norway so I get to hear about all the beautiful bullshit they've got there as well. And my (car nut) cousins gf is from Denmark, so I get to hear about Danish poo poo as well. The only reasonable course of action here is that y'all move to Sweden, really. But that'd require you to speak intelligible, soo... ;)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

All I want in the world is a small, AWD turbo 6 speed hatch with a Mazda M on it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Dealerships in the US seem like they're part of some alternative lizard men sci-fi story, where they're all owned by the ZOG-eco terrorist-communazi triumvirate which sole purpose is to keep the populace from buying new cars.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That's sadly how all cars work now. They're so finely tuned to get good numbers in the test cycle that real life consumption actually suffers for it. And it's not like you can use it as some kind of baseline comparison either, because sometimes a car that gets worse test numbers get better real life consumption.

A nice example of this is the VW Polo TDi and TDi Bluemotion. The Bluemotion is the eco version, supposed to get much lower consumption and having a higher price because of it. The BM has an impressively low fuel consumption in the EU test cycle. The problem is that the regular TDi gets better real life consumption, making the Bluemotion the worst of both worlds!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
People (at least think they) want grip, and hotter cars usually don't have less grip, so unless you buy a poverty spec 60hp Pug, I think you're poo poo out of luck.

PS. Just get a Superduke and come back to CA.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A Ruf CTR certainly is HOT, but it's not a hatch. :colbert:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well, let's see if the US gets the Golf R400 or the Sportwagon R?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
500 hp AWD hybrid hatch, sign me the gently caress up! I am seriously tempted, but still no word from Peugeot about date, price and availability in Sweden. It IS confirmed for production, is the only answer I can get so far.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
But I thought you already had a 348? :D

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

Nah, that's Kimbo. :) I have an E46 ZHP, an 03 Yamaha R6 track bike, and an 07 Aprilia Tuono 1000.

Doh. :doh: something something 2pac

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KidDynamite posted:

RS guys seems there may be a head gasket issue in some cars.

Huge_Midget posted:

Have you seen the thread on the FocusRS.org forum about the drive modes being disabled when it's below freezing?

And people poo poo on french and italian cars. :v:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've got the Coldest Hatch of all time: Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.0 Duratec TI-VCT. 80 hp of fury. It sounds kind of cool since it's an NA triple but it's not exactly a NVH superstar. Good below 60km/h, terrible on the motorway.

After reading about it, I'm pretty "impressed" that they made an engine that is worse in every way compared to the 1.25 Zetec that I have in my Fiesta. Worse power, worse torque, worse (real life) fuel consumption...

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I want a sunroof

Why? Only thing sunroofs are good for is making me hit my head since they take up so much head space.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well, no matter how much we go on about "imagine if someone said we'd have [car with x hp or feature] ten years ago", we're never getting back to the bare bones ready to rock cars like the ITR. Safety, emissions, creature comforts that everyone but AI feels is superfluous, the list goes on. Saying "well this car here that's almost thirty years old did x much better" just isn't relevant.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

There is literally no car that TE37s look bad on imo

This man speaks the truth.

Edit: I might actually have something to contribute to the thread instead of just shitposting, depending on how financially irresponsible I'll get after Christmas.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Crescendo posted:

Apparently Rota "Grid" wheels are pretty OK for the price (some folks even race on them). They cost $250 AUD here in Australia, so I guess they would be something like $150-200 in the US.

Missed this the first time. I don't know of eventual recent developments, but I've seen enough cracked or shattered Rotas to make me think that their QA/QC isn't top notch so to speak.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Uuurgh, mk4 Golfs are basically on my list of cars that I would never, under any circumstance, own. They're just so irredeemably poo poo. lovely interior, lovely rustproofing, lovely engines, lovely chassi. Shitshitshit.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

You Am I posted:

ENCAP has had small overlap tests for years.

Nah, not really. They've done 40 percent overlap since like, 1997, but small overlap like the IIHS does is 25 percent.

This is what ENCAP had to say about it back in 2014:

quote:

A small overlap crash test in Europe? No, Euro NCAP does not plan to carry out this type of test in the immediate future.
The small overlap crash that the IIHS conducts is against a solid, fixed object. This is a severe test but actually not a very common crash type in Europe. Based on research and accident statistics, significantly more large overlap car-to-car occur than small overlap crashes on European roads. Euro NCAP has announced updated crash tests for 2015 and is planning more changes in the years to come based on crashes involving current European vehicles.

The immediate countermeasures introduced in the US fleet are additional structural elements to deflect the narrow impact. These countermeasures add extra weight to the vehicle which will increase fuel consumption and emissions. Small overlap crashes are often a result of unintended lane departures. To effectively avoid these types of crashes in the first place, Euro NCAP is promoting (and will soon require) technologies such as Lane Departure Warning, Lane Keep Assist and auto-braking for head-on traffic and road departures.

People should remember that safety ratings are adapted to each region and focus on what is important for local car buyers.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

They already aren't.

That's what's so stupid about NCAP - the same car can continue being sold as '5 star' indefinitely without retest required. The only time NCAP actually made the point of retesting an aging vehicle was with the Fiat Punto because Fiat was absolutely taking the piss and still selling a more than a decade old design as '5 star' (the retest in 2017 dropped it to zero)

They retested the Fiat Panda as well.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was about to say, clutch replacement isn't hard, it's just a pain in the rear end. Like, there really isn't much that can go wrong doing one.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm unsure if the performance pack is the same in the US, but in Europe it's +10hp and most importantly, an LSD. I'd say it's worth it simply because of the diff.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The EU PP comes with a mechanical LSD.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Huh, how incredibly needlessly complicated. Learn something every day.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
No hot hatch in this one, but just as an example here is Car and Driver testing some of this.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mk4 Golfs, they rust like crazy, the interior has the feel of a early 90s Kia, the understeering is worse than an 80s Audi, the electronics are on par with a 70s Leyland.

God it is such a miserable pile of absolute poo poo. Congrats on dodging that bullet, Imperador.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A sea of black plastic that scratches incredibly easy but is still brittle and likes to fall apart and creaks everywhere. The Mk3 interior wasn't much to write home about but the Mk4 had a markedly lower budget feel.