Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I have to put the front plate mount on my car - just going with the OE one. Stupid pop rivets. Anyone installed their own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think they look stupid and I really don't care about having to have the front plate on.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Swung by the dealer since the rivet size wasn't one I could drive. It cost like twenty bucks to get it installed. Not terrible. It looks fine, too. I hate how shady the tow hook mounts look.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I really like that interior on the A45 but Jesus Christ, that's well out of hot hatch territory.

For a price benchmark so us 'murcans can get an idea of what it runs, what would a ST or a GTI Performance Pack run you?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sole Survivor posted:

I checked it out, due to morbid curiosity.

The MSRP (so no delivery or taxes) of a C63 AMG Coupe in Australia is $135,108 (in comparison, the MSRP in the US is $62,750.

A BMW M235i has an MSRP of $75,381 in Australia, while it costs $46,025 in the US.

A base VW Golf GTI has a driveaway price of $46,610 in AUS, while a GTI Wolfsberg edition costs $25,095 in the US.

So in the US, back of envelope, the A45 would cost about 48K.

That's not horrible, but I'd be hard pressed to not buy the M235i.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There wasn't a market for a 27K premium hatchback in NA, so 50K is probably a stretch (C30, A3).

I saw a new CLA the other day in person and was very disappointed. Part of the MB appeal is how god drat German the designs are - the CLA looked like an upscale Hyundai concept to me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Jalopnik posted a couple of days ago that folks at subaru are already saying that a hatchback WRX is under consideration. Didn't take long.

Mother fucker, this is basically why I bought the ST.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Welcome to VW of America's marketing. No Audi hatches or wagons unless you want a crossover or hybrid.

VWoA sold the A3 hatch in America for years and it was completely unsuccessful. What do you think they should do differently? Continue to push cars that people don't buy?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

but I swear I'll buy it if you make it RWD and a manual honest

buys a beater mk4 GTI from a buy here pay here on an 18% APR

Enthusiasts are the fuckin worst.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KakerMix posted:

They should accommodate me obviously and sell me an S4 Avant obviously!

I agree with this and I would actually shell out the money but it's not sufficient.

The problem is that when someone does take a risk or finally bring over a European model, they generally get hosed because enthusiasts are just waiting to buy it used in five years. Doesn't work when nobody buys it new, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

1791apparel posted:

Very nice.

It's it really worth it to move to the R? A quick tune and you're 80% there. Of all manufacturer lines I've always perceived the R's to be the worst value.

You have to want AWD and the pretty blue paint and the stock warranty.

I didn't like the last R, but I'm considering the next one if it actually ends up as good as people are claiming.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Voltage posted:

I ordered one with recaros and no nav or sunroof, but the order got botched and I ended up getting a loaded one with recaros, nav and sunroof.

The sunroof is really far back so it's slightly useless but kind of nice. The Nav is way worse than google maps on my iphone. Not worth it imo. Completely impossible to add a route with voice commands, so you have to type it in and even that can be a pain. Mine actually completely froze up today and left a big "cancel route" dialog on the nav and wouldnt go away even after I turned the car off/on. I had to use voice commands to fix it.

Definitely not worth $800 - just get a nice smartphone mount.

I don't like the nav very much but I have very rarely had a problem with route guidance via Sync in the FoST.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ilkhan posted:

I'm debating getting a FoST and if so it will be blue. The lack of any other decent color makes me mad.

It was very difficult for me to find a blue FoST with the options I wanted, so I settled for black. I don't really care, it gets street parked in an incredibly dense urban area so the paint's gonna get hosed anyway :( This is how I rationalize.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

8ender posted:

I personally prefer the look of the S3 over the R but agreed.

While I agree, there are probably a few thousand reasons that I could be persuaded that the R would be a better choice.

I do prefer the longer trunk/cargo area of the A3 though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Visibility is not that bad, you definitely get used to it. The turning circle, though... woof.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Phy posted:

The new 3 looks way better as a sedan than as a hatch and I hope if they build another MS3 they do it as a sports sedan. There I've said it and I'm not sorry neither. Though it would probably be difficult to justify that with an MS6 also in the offing.

The hatch does look wacky.

I think I am going to keep the Focus until Alfa comes to America and releases some sort of Giulia / GTV Quadrifoglio Verde hatchback of hellish unreliability. Let's go, FCA! (basically, it looks like I am keeping the Focus until the heat death of the universe)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BoostCreep posted:

I'm generally not a VW fan, but being in Hong Kong the past couple days and seeing the new Scirocco in the flesh, I have no idea why they aren't bringing it to the US. It gorgeous, intimidating, sleek, and I want one. That thing would sell like hotcakes.

Federalization and the fact that it would be quite expensive are the rationales I have heard.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ringo Star Get posted:

The 2015 Focus ST will have a flat-bottom steering wheel, new rear and front fascia (slightly), cleaned up interior, improved steering and suspension, same powerplant:

http://jalopnik.com/2015-ford-focus-st-this-is-it-1596682576

Looks like they went with the electronic parking brake too. Sort of jealous of the interior, that cubbyhole in front of the shifter would be a huge asset in my '13. Wonder if I can switch out my steering wheel?

I was just thinking the same thing. I don't love the wheel on the current version.

I'm also cool with an electronic parking brake. I know that the handbrake is good for MAXXXIMUM HOONAGE but I loving only use the thing to park, so I'd like the extra console room, since that's limited.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I hate you. For 18" they cost a fortune.

When I priced it out, over the life of the car it was significantly cheaper to buy cheap poo poo 16" alloys and run X-Ices versus buying X-Ices for the 18" wheels.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Because the Recaros are loving great seats.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Laranzu posted:

Focus ST recall out for the stalling/weird idle issues.

Mine does it with ac on when clutching in at lights. The TSB required a check engine light being on.

Recall number is 14S17

So without the CEL, no joy? I notice this about once every week or two (noticed it this AM on the drive in), but it has yet to throw a code.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

I'm hearing rumors that the R is only going to come with DSG when it first comes out. I really want to keep with a MT. I have seen a brand new GTI every day since last Thursday and it's getting harder and harder to wait for the R.

The 7R20 will be both. VW learned from the R32 that people will bitch if it's DSG only, and they also learned from the 6R20 that people will bitch if it's manual only.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's almost like an independent dealer network doesn't offer a consistent sales, service or parts experience at all!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

get a side/corner mount?

Those tend to look janky as gently caress though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

stump posted:

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to tow with one, assuming the ST doesn't gave any funny exhaust placement over the normal one.

FWIW I towed a 12 foot boat with a 1.4 diesel ford fusion that was packed to the roof itself (the rest of world one based on the last gen fiesta platform) and it was fine. Hilly single track roads, cruising at 70 mph, overtaking lorries on A roads, no problem. Ok, the last one was kinda sketchy considering that car as a 15 second 0-60 empty.

Dunno about the FiST but the FoST has a center mount exhaust, which would complicate things. You can get a hitch for the Fiesta that is rated to 2,000 lbs, but I would highly recommend that you don't tow anything all that heavy for very long distances or at speeds. You get some serious trailer dynamics problems with a wheelbase that short.

If you plan to tow your motorcycle more than say, four times a year for a total of 200 miles, I'd advise against doing it. The Fiesta will not be able to tow your 818*

*you might be able to tow it but it will be extremely unsafe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bobfather posted:

You can do what you want in life but

Don't pay 35k40k for a Focus.

I fixed it for ya.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Whoa, wait, what? Ford's working on getting a 2016 FoRS greenlit with a 2.3L EcoBoost, all-new AWD, and a contraption to control torque steer?

I need to get my life in order.

uhh also the AWD eliminates the need for the torque steer control devices.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I have 16s on mine ('13) and it works fine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Those are good wheels.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FoST started stalling intermittently, probably due to the wiring harness. Taking it in on Thursday.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TrinityOfDeath posted:

Out of curiosity, when was your made? My FoST has not had any problems....yet.

June 8, 2013.

CEL came on but cleared - still having trouble maintaining revs at idle. Ford dealer rescheduled my appointment due to parts availability. Very annoying - you can see both your own stock and the depot stock as well as lead time. Come on.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ringo Star Get posted:

If I checked my VIN and it qualifies for the recall, but my car isn't showing any symptoms (yet), should I still try and go ahead with it?

Yes, because when you put the clutch in going 55 mph and the car dies, it is pretty unnerving.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

howling_mad posted:

I don't know, having a bunch of underpaid mechanics screw with my cars central nervous system for no specific reason sounds risky.

versus the guys on the line that built the car in the first place who are basically NASA guys right

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

howling_mad posted:

The Focus ST forums seem to think its not worth getting done if you haven't experienced it yet.

I'm not sure about you but my past dealer experiences, at both of my local dealerships, haven't been great. Damage or nicks to the sill, scratches on the door, worst of all moving my drat seat.

Get it done if you have a good relationship with your dealer, but if they screw something up you kind of invited it. There's several I shouldn't have stories floating around right now.

This is super loving stupid top to bottom, but especially the "THE DEALER MOVED MY SEAT :qq:" poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bobfather posted:

get it done ASAP because some of those guys have had their cars stall and die at highway speeds

This happened to me after not showing any symptoms. It was unnerving. The service took about an hour fifteen keys-to-keys, book time of 1.5 hrs. No issues so far, and I have noticed that idle RPMs aren't dipping as low when I put in the clutch so I think it's probably fixed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Prior versions of the RS have been FWD so I wouldn't be getting too stoked up.

If it ends up AWD it will be extremely expensive (I would guess $40k) because the Focus isn't actually set up for AWD currently. Sure, the platform is capable, but it would require a lot of work and probably re-federalization. This is similar to why you can get a Challenger Hellcat manual and not the Charger.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That seems awfully high.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I doubt the RS slots in under 35k and there's probably a chance it is closer to $40k than $35k but we'll see.

I'm intrigued. It looks like it solves a couple issues I have with the ST, although I still don't like the interior dash layout since it eats in to a lot of space, and I bet the turning circle is still loving awful.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm 28 so I guess I skew young on the FoST owner side. Most of the ones I see around are driven by younger dudes, though.

Ford is already going to sell every RS they make up to a reasonable point, so I think those of you hoping for 30k pricing are deluding yourselves, unfortunately. The WRX STi starts at 34,5. The Golf R is 36,5 with the DCT, so probably like 35,5 without. Is there really a market for the RS at say, 32,5 that there isn't at 34,5? That market better be pretty god damned big to make up that profit loss.

That being said, if it's 30k, I'll buy one immediately, but I still might buy one at 34,5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BoostCreep posted:

That's interesting. When I test drove a 14 FiST and FoST back to back, the Fiesta felt like a perfect package - ergonomics, clutch, brakes, everything was totally in sync. The Focus felt like a clumsy turbo engine shoehorned into a stock Focus with a heavier clutch installed. I drove the Fiesta, then the Focus, then the Fiesta again and bought it on the spot. To each his own.

Also my Fiesta has painted wheels, NAV, no sunroof, and recaros. The NAV is worthless, but I prefer the touch screen over the other stereo option.

I find the clutch on the Focus to be obnoxious, but at this point I'm used to it.