Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Just wait until you're out of sight until you drive the poo poo out of it?

I've never had a test drive where the sales guy didn't come with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

How old are ya'll? Maybe its because the bulk of my test drives were when I was new car shopping 5 years ago when I was 24, and they were hot hatch types. MS3, GTI, Si, etc. Though I did drive a BRZ last week and the sales guy came with. Can't say I've ever pressed the issue though.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

echobucket posted:

I ordered this for the front of my Fiesta ST.

http://www.amazon.com/Racing-metal-tag-universal-mounting/dp/B003YJ8146/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378482013&sr=8-2&keywords=Ford+Racing+plate

Is it pretentious to put a "racing" plate on it? I just wanted it because I wanted to get rid of the stupid dealer plate and this was the only ford plate I could find that was red and black.

Thats awful. Just take the plate off.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

echobucket posted:

Got brave and drilled them out.

Stupid rivets.

Looks much better. Need to figure out some red plugs for the holes now.

Looks a thousand times better than some cheesy ford racing plate!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Phone posted:

I think it might just be the arm on the pedal. I get it infrequently on the Mazda2 and it sounds like a click when the pedal is fully depressed.

My MS3 has done this for a few years now. I think it may be the clutch pedal switch. Its not very loud though and I wouldn't call it a clunk.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

akarin posted:

The Ford C1 platform? I think so.

Same platform as the MS3 too

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_WybR9pE4E

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

I have been eyeballing Mazdaspeed 3's quite a bit recently. I have never owned a turbo car, and buying a used one with 50k+ miles worries me a little. How have your MS3's held up, goons?

I only have 47k on my 08, but so far so good. Nothing major to mention. Suspension sounds downright broken when it gets below 25F or so but I understand thats kind of normal. Windshield cowling rattles when it gets colder than 50F, also super common. A few other little rattles but nothing I can complain about. Other than oil changes, only had to replace the battery and front brake pads so far, and probably because I did a full track day on the stock pads. Still puts a poo poo eating grin on my face.

Check with IOC, pretty sure he had over 100k on his.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

sadnessboner posted:

I'm not sure if you're making the same assumption I did; but the auto dimming in modern cars is different to the manual dimming I'd experienced in older (pre-2000s) cars. It's like a progressive tint based on the amount of light the HID totting morons behind you are pouring into your car and is actually really handy in my superior AUDM FiST :smuggo:

I thought I would never use mine that came with my car, but its probably my most favorite "convenience" feature. Works so drat well.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Dust went down considerably on my MS3 when I switched from the OEM front pads to Hawk HPS.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Ehud posted:

Those MS3 seats are hilarious, by the way. They look like something from a skating rink or a background from a 1992 yearbook picture.

That's why you get an 08.5/09 GT with the leather/alcantara seats.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bajaha posted:

Coolant can be quick, but owning a proper oil temp gauge really opens your eyes as to how drat long it actually takes to get up to full operating temp. With low temp oil it'll be definitely putting more wear and tear on the bearings, and with turbo motors it's even worst. Especially bad if you immediately start pushing the car full throttle after the coolant gauge jumps up before the oil really gets a chance to warm up.

It's all moot if you're leasing or trading in in a couple years. But it's got to be a pretty big impact for long term ownership.

Yyyyyuuuuup. Oil takes 2-3 times as long as coolant to get fully up to temperature. Main reason I got an oil temperature gauge.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

I'm sure I'll be shocked at how long it takes for engine oil to come up to temp,

but,

how long does it take to come up to temp?

My car, when its 60+ out, maybe 10-15 minutes. In the winter, at least 20 minutes.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The Locator posted:

No, no it doesn't. That sounds like crap and if he were my neighbor I'd hate him.

I'll keep the factory exhaust on my Focus, I like the fact that it's quiet and doesn't sound like a fart-pipe Honda even a little bit.

Agreed. A neighbor like 2 blocks away has an SRT4 with what I assume is a straight pipe. It is the worst.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

dissss posted:

Moving from a first gen MS3 to a current model 3 I think I miss the seats more than anything else (even the vast power difference). Mazda was pretty onto it back then.

The Alcantara seats from the 08.5/09 GT were the One True Seat. One of the things I miss most after selling mine.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

http://jalopnik.com/toyota-is-building-the-210-horsepower-yaris-hot-hatch-w-1791125235

Iiiiiinteresting. Doubt we'll see it in the US though.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah that's pretty horrible.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I wasn't a fan. The Mazdaspeed3 OEM mount is a pretty good upgrade for the 1.0 cars (3 cyl vibration!) and the 4-cyl cars like the eFocus RMM.

Huh, had no idea that was a thing. I have the OEM mount I pulled from my 08.5 pretty much when it was new if anyone wants it.

I went with the Street Unit mount at the time because the CP-E's were impossible to find. I was really happy with it once broken in. A tiny bit of vibration at idle with the A/C on, but otherwise great.

e: this guy: http://www.streetunit.com/MAZDASPEED_3_Motor_Mount_p/sum3amm.htm

opengl fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 24, 2017

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

AvesPKS posted:

I also bought my Speed3 new without really knowing how to drive stick. Driving home I barely got it onto route 70 and drove it from Frederick to down around the Beltway, somehow.

That is not a car I'd want to learn on. Heavy clutch with what feels like half an inch of friction zone in the pedal travel.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I would guess they probably hoon the poo poo outta their cars.

Yeah, I'd sooner buy a GTI with a few thousand miles on it than just a few hundred. Sounds like it may have been ridden hard.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Cops ignore my silver C5. Completely ignore. Like triple digits dead to rights ignore. They must always figure I'm a gray hair's away from my next stroke.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

DevCore posted:

Oh no.

My first standard was an E36 BMW M3. It was hell to learn how to drive on.
It died and I picked up a GTi which was WAY easier to learn stick on.

It can be done, but more powerful cars are a lot less forgiving.

Not necessarily. My MS3 was a hundred times more difficult to drive smoothly than my C5. Super grabby clutch, very small engagement zone, turbo powerband, compared to longer lighter clutch pedal with gobs of torque making it almost impossible to stall.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I really want a 1st gen Mazdaspeed3 but there are 100 GTIs and Cooper S' for every one MS3 in my price range.

I've really been missing my 08 lately. Such an awesome car and I'll never find one as clean again. They're all hosed with by now.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

dissss posted:

Mine was admittedly low mileage but it didn't cost me anything out of the ordinary to run - fuel economy was almost the same as my partners normal n/a 2l and nothing went wrong.

Same, but yeah sold mine with under 50k on it. I did always have smoking turbo and VVT issues in the back of my mind.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

There's a kid with a Neon SRT4 the next block over, I know because its straight piped and sounds like a high pitched dump truck and not in a good way. I hear him coming and going no matter where I am in the house.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

wolrah posted:

IIRC the SRT4 actually lacks mufflers altogether from the factory.

Yeah but probably has at least a cat and maybe a resonator right? This thing is definitely wide open from the turbo back.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I never considered sixth super tall in my MS3. Maybe 2500ish around 70mph?

Now my C5 on the other hand, that thing truly does nearly idle on the highway. Pretty sure in sixth 70mph is no more than 1500rpm.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

AvesPKS posted:

If I'm in traffic and might need to speed up quickly I'll leave it in fifth, but sixth being usable is nice. 6th was completely useless in the Speed3.

Eh? I had no issues just leaving it in sixth on the highway in my MS3. No problem passing either as long as I was over 65 or 70.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I tried to wave at another Miata driver and it looked like I was saluting Hitler.

I miss blinking my NA's popups at other Miatas.

Though greyhairs in other Corvettes always wave, so there's that.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I know we have some Focus RS owners in here. Did any of you cross shop with a Mustang? I know they are apples and oranges, but for around the same price, and performance numbers close wondering how they compared for you.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

xsf421 posted:

I cross shopped mine with a GT with performance pack. It was pretty close, but the deciding factors were the AWD and cargo room. I play ice hockey and ski, so being able to fit giant bags in the car was important.

Yeah I've been thinking PP also. I have a beater with plenty of room (Vibe) and I'd be replacing my Corvette with the Mustang, so no worries there about practicality.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

sneakyfrog posted:

that is handy.... in forscan you just have to poke around and do research and a brief prayer not to brick my car plz baby jesus

I just got forscan up and running with my mustang and I want to change how many times my blinker flashes when I change lanes but I'm afraid I'll brick it. What a weird future.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

dissss posted:

I miss mine terribly and kinda wish I never sold it.

Same, I miss mine big time. Such an awesome car.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

FWIW my '16 GTI with auto from the factory goes on under overpasses/bridges if it's like a 6-lane highway or a wide enough bridge.

I was behind a VW SUV of some variety the other day and noticed the same thing as it went under a bridge. Seems silly, all the auto lights I've ever had have been on a delay.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Different application I know but I have nothing bad to say about the PS4S that came on my Mustang. As mentioned they do really well in the wet (got stuck in a torrential sideways downpour my second day with the car, no drama at all), and otherwise just have outrageous amounts of grip.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Kona blue is the best color.

Can confirm

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Auron posted:

yeah its a great car for what it is, but 40k...no. Any hot hatch gets eliminated when it reaches Mustang GT premium PP territory IMO. Especially when its still a cheap as poo poo focus.

One of the main reasons I got my Mustang instead of an RS. 460hp for essentially the same money.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Oh for sure. Part of it was that I had already done the hot hatch thing before.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Eh, its a nice enough place to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

xsf421 posted:

Those toggle switches at the bottom of the stack have always killed it for me. The material just looks so cheap.

I think they're cool, but I'm also admittedly a child.