Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

BlackMK4 posted:

How reliable are Mazdspeed 3s? They seem disgustingly cheap for something with an LSD, turbo, and useable hatch

I have a Gen 2 and it's been perfectly reliable, but it's stock and I don't beat on it. Be wary of modded ones, or any with over 60K miles as issues with the turbo seals can crop up if they're not taken care of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Here4DaGangBang posted:

The big thing on the FiST (maybe the FoST too, I'm not sure) is that they are torque limited in 1st and 2nd gears to avoid blowing the tyres off, and most if not all OTS tunes remove (or greatly reduce) this limitation.

My MS3 does this too, it turns off the turbo entirely in 1st and limits it to 50% boost in 2nd. I'm surprised the FoST does this because it's supposed to have fancy torque vectoring to prevent traction issues.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

KakerMix posted:

And it isn't relying on a 4 foot vinyl decal, it's instead a new vehicle, new name, just done in a throwback nostalgia style and selling itself so much more effectively.

It's really neat to see Toyota do what everyone else claims isn't worth doing.

Nothing about the GR says "nostalgia" to me. It's very much a modern hot hatch that's selling itself on its performance credentials.

EDIT: Honda is the one relying on nostalgia by using the Integra name!

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 7, 2022

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Those are just Fiesta ST numbers. It’s about what the market will buy. Wait til the hype dies down next year after a new Type R comes out and you should be able to get one without crazy bullshit

That's assuming that Toyota decides to not make it a 1 MY wonder.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Yeah no, I prefer the FK8 over this new one. The taillights and rear bumper look better but everything else just makes it look like a knockoff 4th gen WRX.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Hey everybody, I bought the most controversial hot hatch and absolutely love it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

MarsellusWallace posted:

Weird that you bought my exact car, but w/e.

For a hot second I thought this was exact your car, as in, you were the previous owner. But then I saw your previous posts in this thread and saw you had a 2020. Mine is a 2019.

quote:

Keep the seats clean, the handles on the inside of the trunk to help close it are more fragile than you think, and the transmission is made of glass. There may or may not be a secret typewriter behind the dashboard and the seat height adjustment will fail at five thousand miles. Honda doesn't cover any of the above under warranty.

I admit this is the first time I've heard anything about the CTR having a fragile transmission (unless that 3rd gear grind issue counts, which I haven't gotten so far). The car is at 14k miles and the seat height adjustment works fine too. The car is a CPO so we'll see how Honda does with the warranty they gave me.

quote:

On the other hand, it's the most forgiving car in its class on track and with 18 inch wheels it's remarkably road trip worthy. TireRack has accurate measurements of the wheel wells and will ship pre assembled wheel/tire combinations that fit.

I'm definitely planning on getting a set of 18'' wheels for the winter, and I was considering swapping out the stock wheels for 18''s too, but the previous owner put a set of Michelin PS4Ss on. So I think I'll hold off on that until those get worn out.

quote:

You lose no power in comfort mode, but it does really want to understeer in anything but typeR mode. The fake engine noise is pumped in by a module above the glove box if it bothers you, but you need to disassemble the passenger dash panel to get to it.

Honestly, the difference between the modes feels pretty marginal. I've been mostly keeping it in sport mode and occasionally flip it to +R mode for funsies.

quote:

The clutch is excessively 'grabby' for the first few engagements when cold. Also the engine makes a mild bearing failure sound when you let off the gas at about 2000 to 3500 rpm. This is normal.

Haven't noticed either of these.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 4, 2022

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Any FK8 Civic Type-R owners experience a weird buzzing noise near the map lights at around 4000 RPM? I've looked around and it's not just me who has this, but I found jack poo poo about how to fix it.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 20, 2022

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

sarcastx posted:

Testing a JCW All4 Countryman tomorrow but I'm really not interested in that body style as much as the Clubman. There's some good used ones a few hundred miles away from me so I figure I'll try the Countryman out, and if it's fun enough I'll go on a road trip and pick up a Clubman.

Show of hands: still a hot hatch?

It's got a hatch and as much horsepower as my Type-R, absolutely hot.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

MrLogan posted:

If we aren't counting liftbacks, should the Civic R count? It's definitely more of a liftback than a hatch.

:dafuq:

The Type-R isn't a liftback, the FL5 kiiiind of looks like one, but isn't.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia the FL5 Type-R is a liftback, while preceding generations are hatchbacks. Though Wikipedia also defines liftbacks as hatchbacks with a roofline slope of less than 45 degrees, so :shrug:

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 15, 2023

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

special car

I wish they’d make a whole bunch of them but they’ll prolly wind up much rarer than the Type R

Toyota said they're making about 5,100 per year while Honda makes only 3,500 Type-Rs a year.

Funny enough, I went to the Chicago Auto Show yesterday and Toyota had 2 GR Corollas (and a manual Supra) open for attendees to get inside and everything. While Honda only had a single FL5 Type-R that was completely cordoned off.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Hypothetical question, hopefully this is the right place. Could the new Civic Type R work as a dog hauler? I have an 80lb dog and I'm curious if you can (humanely) have a dog in the rear hatch area.

Wagon options are limited these days and if you want a manual it's even more limited.

If you fold down the back seats, yes easily.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Travic posted:

I've been driving a Civic Si and I absolutely love it. I've also gotten the car bug and now I want more. I was thinking about an FL5 Civic Type R. I know they're hard to get, but I might as well try right? I'm looking for the increased power and sharpness from the Type R. I'd be using it for my daily driver and some spirited back road driving. Little to no track time.

I just have a few questions about it. My main concern is the ride quality. Virtually every review I've ever read says it's wonderful, but really stiff. Even in comfort mode. Is it too stiff for a daily driver? Stiffer than the Si? Is it worth putting 18 inch wheels on it? I'm ok losing some performance to gain a bit of comfort.

I have an FK8 Type-R with the stock 20'' wheels and the ride is more than fine as a daily. Even on +R mode it's not that stiff.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

It absolutely hasn't, if anything it's the ITS that got memory holed.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

The issue right now for the FL5, Golf R, and GRC is supply and the corresponding mark ups.

I looked up Type-R prices on Autotrader the other day and I could find a lot of dealers selling new ones at MSRP.

All FL5s though, FK8s were weirdly absent.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Ehud posted:

I can't stop looking at this Mazdaspeed 3 that's an hour up the road from me. It's a single owner, unmodified gen 1 with 67k miles.

My previous car was a 2012 MS3 also unmodified and single previous owner, and I'll say this:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

i have a very short commute to work. I bought my fiesta in 2017 and i just cracked 22k

I'm fully WFH so I've put about 7k miles total in my Type-R since buying it in 2022. I bought it at 13k miles and it just cracked 20k last month.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Apparently this is the Golf GTI thread, so: I’m considering more make options for a car upgrade, and the Golf GTI came up at some point. There’s a used 2018 GTI in my area, and I may consider it. The price is reasonable at about $22.5k (almost $10k cheaper than new), with about 59k miles on it. This one is manual, but I can learn. Can’t tell what trim it is.

Worth taking a look? What problems did the 2018s have and what should I look out for? I did notice that other GTIs around that time tend to go for more like $20.5~21k, through maybe that’s optimistic.

EDIT: This one is $18k, 2017 GTI Autobahn, 51.5k miles. Even cheaper. What’s the catch?

I did some checking for 2017-2018 GTIs in the Boston area, and the first one seems to be about average price for that model year and amount of mileage. It might be worth checking out, but the dealer only has stock photos and not pictures of the actual car, so I'd be wary. Regardless if you do check it out, get a pre-purchase inspection.

As for the second one, if you scroll down in the listing you'll see the reason why it's so cheap is because it's been in 2 accidents. I would stay away.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

What is a fair price for hatchbacks these days, anyway?

That's pretty difficult to answer because you're talking about an entire segment of cars. It's better to ask in terms of brand, performance level, luxury level, or a specific car.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

trilobite terror posted:

polly I change my mind, just get the type r or the type s

it’s the car you actually want

As someone who has and loves his Type-R to bits, you buy a Type-R because you want a motherfucking Civic Type-R. Not when you're looking for a good deal on a general car upgrade.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Pollyanna I think a Honda Fit would be perfect for you. They're very reliable and have a weirdly large amount of cargo space for their size, and even with prices going up, a used one with good mileage should be well within your budget. There's a manual option too if you want.

EDIT: Here's one in MA with a stick, 54k miles, and at $16k.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

:wtf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ee4GTguycA

I thought the Honda Fit was some sort of budget car. In fact, I haven't heard much about it at all. Is there a reason?

It is a budget car, it just happens to be a really drat good budget car. You haven't heard of it because Americans largely ignore the subcompact hatchback segment outside of a section of car enthusiasts.